/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread: What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1558319017106.jpg (900x1280, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/wic/jpeg-xr-codec
github.com/libjpeg-turbo/libjpeg-turbo/issues/1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's she doing

I'm working now on N queens in lisp, seems pretty easy but we'll see

firs for fuck an*me

Attached: 1558272771163.jpg (1536x2048, 474K)

Anime website.

Attached: 1556824490905.png (1000x900, 1.13M)

real anti anime tranny thread here

Kys

yikes
based

Attached: 1558624249851.jpg (700x700, 99K)

Anyone experienced in prolog?

fuck off

REAL thread with no anime degeneracy

>with no anime degeneracy
No ones going to use it.

I made that thread cause I thought the image was hilariously retarded just like go posters.
I'm fine with it dying for anime though.

>What are you working on, Jow Forums?
I'm continuing to work on my Wayland compositor in my free time.
I really actually need to make some progress on some shit. I've got like 3 unfinished branches with like 5000+ lines of work each on them, and i keep changing what I'm working on.

Attached: 1543874106187.jpg (1500x1500, 1.26M)

I'm applying for a job
How do I get it

remember how to invert a binary tree and you will be fine

Do u want serious advice?
Are you in the US?

Minimum of 10+ years experience

Yes
Idaho

REAL THREAD, THERE ARE ANIME TRANNIES ARTIFICALLY SIMULATING POSTS IN THIS THREAD, JUST LOOK AT THE POST-TO-POSTER RATIO

REAL THREAD:

Programming as a job fucking sucks.
mr goldberg wants a 6 months project done in 2 months, overtime without pay, constant pressure and 10 hour workdays.
Only decent paying entry level job I could find after college but now I realize that the pay was because they'll squeeze you dry.
Been working for 3 months and I have dreams about work every day.
This shit isn't healthy anons. I should have studied something else or maybe I just need to kill myself
When I graduated I was sold the idea of relaxed enviroments, fucking around when you lock up and can't think of a solution to a problem, casual dress code, stuff like that.
Instead I got a 8-6 job where the project lead asks what you're working on when you stop to chat with the guy sitting next to you, obviously telling you to shut the fuck up and get the 6 months project in 3 done.

Attached: 1526250445434.jpg (1060x404, 92K)

If a student, only list GPA if its respectable. List education first on resume and then any relevant experience/projects. Practice leetcode problems

If fresh graduate, I hope you've had internships, if not, do you have a portfolio on your github? Do you have any personal websites or projects you could show off? Be prepared to answer more difficult algorithms questions in an interview.

Where do you live? All the software engineerings environments in California have been extremely relaxed

watching poltards sperg hopelessly gives me power

Attached: 1558844808819.png (613x855, 421K)

broad daylight summer? also sleeve down. sunburn

hm?

god i wish that were me

It is you

Learn how discussion works, and stop spamming.

Yeah half of them are you.

People are allowed to post more than once, you know.
Also, thanks for inflating the post count on this thread, making it the more preferable thread to post in.

Attached: 60222946_p0.png (856x673, 480K)

oh gosh ~\(≧▽≦)/~

Meanwhile your thread is 4:0

i want to nakadashi chino

>one "programming" thread is just a gay blog
>the other one is fucking dead
lmao at Jow Forums """""programmers"""""

Attached: 1533516264628.jpg (493x387, 35K)

back to pol child

Attached: 1558675309491.jpg (357x379, 38K)

Who's blogging?

>pol

Attached: 1546872557584.png (510x197, 18K)

Thoughts on Python 3.8 walrus operator?

Reminder that it's people like and who shit up the thread and prevent actual discussion.

Why is dpt being flooded? I just want to talk to frens

Attached: 1558838296959.gif (269x270, 387K)

iTODDLER BTFO

Attached: 1537581834862.gif (520x293, 2.52M)

you should just let newfags be newfags, carebear.

The primary purpose is so that people can do jackass things the way they did it in C, right?
Except intentionally and not ever accidentally, so they pulled out the wacko retarded-looking pascal syntax.
I've been using python for about two years now, using every advanced feature I've come across, and I have never ever thought "gee it sure would be nice if I could assign something right in the middle of this other expression"

Why are they adding C’s greatest anti-feature 30 years later?
Seems like a waste of a perfectly good operator too.

Attached: 6D4663E3-B9AF-4286-B411-4273D10CE229.png (316x490, 108K)

I'm dusting off my C knowlege from 15 years of inactivity and trying out VS Code. First test program was a quick implementation of a bubble sort algorithm in C++. Working on merge sort in Java next, then going to try out quicksort in C#. Never coded in C# before, but I have done C and Java, and I hear that's practically what it's a mix of. Should be fun.

pol isn’t a board on 4channel

It's useful for a very specific situation involving while loops.
int c;
while ((c = getchar()) != EOF) {
}
It allows you to get rid of some code duplication.
Other that that, it should probably be avoided.

Is there any algorithm that can generate a low-res version thumbnail from an image without reading the whole file content?
Saying that I want to generate a 100x100 thumbnail from an 10000x10000 image. Processing the while file results is slow because a lots of pixel data have no effect on the final thumbnail at all.

Attached: 1459353501543.jpg (694x694, 294K)

Seems like it's the complete opposite of why := should be used for assignment.

>anti-feature

Attached: eyes.jpg (261x195, 8K)

This sort of use isn’t common in python from my experience. You are usually working with iterators and range for loops and inlining an increment is pretty pointless.

It's fine now,, janny woke up 5 hours later and deleted and blocked the "bad posts". This is what killed Jow Forums and /jp/.

Attached: 1351442324316.jpg (800x746, 213K)

You could just read a small group of pixels then skip ahead a bit and read another group, generate your thumbnail by averaging the pixel groups into an individual pixel.

It should be further noted that generators are a more powerful way to express loops and can even aid in message passing.
But if we were to complain about the efficiency of tight loops in hot code implemented using generators, I'd argue the program shouldn't have been written in python from the outset.

You're going to need to decode the image at some point. I don't think most image formats allow for useful partial reading, other than maybe Adam7 interlacing used in some PNGs.
But once you have the image, I suppose there would be extra shit you can do to speed it up. e.g. only sample every N pixels instead of all of them, but that may have an effect on thumbnail quality.
You could also throw a bunch of threads or even a GPU at the problem, but that may be overkill.

I have the opposite problem. My job is so laid back I basically have to do nothing all day most days. The pace is way too slow for me and it is probably making me a worse programmer. Especially because when I get home I really don't want to go on a computer anymore.

Most image formats have some form of progressive encoding.
PNG obviously has interlacing, but JPG's progressive encoding just lays out the DC bits first, followed by each layer of AC bits in increasing detail.
The inverse cosine transform was a pretty kickass invention.

Not really, if the image is stored as a 2D array of pixels (and especially not if it's compressed). Even something simple like sampling only 1 pixel per NxN region would still require seeking over the whole image on disk. Ideally you'd just store the image as a set of prefiltered mipmaps, although that uses 1/3 extra space.

Now, if you're happy with no filter, i.e. the sparse sampling I described earlier, you could do something neat. Break the image up into 2x2 blocks. Store the (0,0) pixel of each block in an image half the dimensions of the original, then store all the rest in some order. Now you have a half size thumbnail occupying the first 1/4 of the file, and you can recover the rest of the image by reading to the end. You can repeat this technique to make smaller and smaller thumbnails.

Gays are not people

neither am I lol

there's no need to debase yourself.

we know

You could also individually compress each chunk. For example, if you had an image with 2 thumbnails, you'd compress the first 1/16 of the file by itself, then the next 3/16, then the last 3/4.

Check out the newer file formats.
JPEG-XR has "sub-resolution decoding", i.e. thumbnail generation.
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/wic/jpeg-xr-codec

I used to think that it was wasteful that application layer protocols like HTTP are text based, but after having tried out writing a program that does DNS queries, it honestly sucks to deal with binary protocols and byte/bit ordering.

If you think multipart/form-data is good, you can fuck off.

I like grpc even though I don't understand the black magic happening in between

Some of those older text-based protocols were designed like that so you could literally interact with the servers manually.

i cant understand linear algebra
do i just ignore it and just keep on programming?

Attached: 1557249687008.png (600x388, 86K)

Fuck off, frog. You're not welcome here.

Attached: 1542859598835.png (538x538, 492K)

What do u understand? Is this a proofs class on linear algebra? Or a plug n chug class on linear algebra. If plug n chug, stop being retarded

>u
Fuck off

Have some patience. It can seem impossible but if you have enough persistence you can figure out what you need.

only way for me to understand it would be to rote-memorize all the definitions

I think efficient nearest neighbor algorithm does exactly this. However it should be faster by avoiding to decode all contents even though it is hard to avoid reading the whole file.
I've seen that libjpeg-turbo is implementing an API for partially decoding images, which avoids decoding some part of the image, but it's still an open issue.
github.com/libjpeg-turbo/libjpeg-turbo/issues/1
Is there any similar thing in PNG and GIF decoders?
Isn't this equivalent to creating a new image file format? I don't see this to be viable unless you are storing assets for a game.

Excuse me?

Stop typing like an underage retard.

Lmao, imagine being this butthurt

Attached: 1534097358412.png (558x614, 24K)

Of course, it's a brainlet wojak poster.
Fuck off.

>What are you working on, Jow Forums?
Added UCS to my shitlang because structfunc(mystruct, a, b) just seems wrong compared to mystruct.structfunc(a, b)

stateful function is better
set_func_context(structfunc, mystruct)
structfunc(a, b)

>thumbnail
Retard alert

?

So no one here has experience with prolog?

Yaaaaaaaaay
42.itoa.atoi.itoa

Wtf? I can see millions of ways that could go horribly wrong.

I had to learn it for a class. Forgot it immediately afterwards.

Interesting, what class?

prolog is just an exercise in declarative thought processes, used exclusively in programming language theory classes.
nobody has professional experience with prolog.

Yeah I'm taking a programming Languages class rn and its kinda killing me

Attached: 1558162764572.png (657x527, 69K)

Programming languages

>anti-feature
kys

What state are u in user?

PA

No, after it lost to SQL it mostly fell into academic irrelevance

Porting a golang image editing library to wasm

writing wasm in rust

Speaking of wasm, when will it ever get a toolchain which doesn't fucking suck?
emscripten is bloated nonsense.

here's a bogpill for you:
HTML is a declarative UI description language, and so are derivatives thereof; XAML, Blazor, Qt QML, et al.

does anyone here use vim as what plugins etc or tutorials?