Can someone explain to me why AMD drivers are worse than nvidia/intel...

Can someone explain to me why AMD drivers are worse than nvidia/intel? The one benefit my friend was able to tell me was that nvidia has "game ready" drivers for games on launch. I don't buy games at launch, so I can't talk about the performance there, but is this the only reason? Genuinely curious, not trying to start a meme war. I'm just looking into upgrading my rx 580 after the navi launch and I wanna make an informed decision.

Attached: Image20.jpg (2542x1430, 209K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hothardware.com/news/radeon-clobbers-geforce-amd-commissioned-audit-driver-stability
amd.com/system/files/documents/graphics-driver-quality.pdf
notebookcheck.net/Sick-of-video-drivers-crashing-Independent-auditor-finds-AMD-s-drivers-are-more-stable-than-Nvidia-s.316564.0.html
youtu.be/-pmZ_5mA5Go?t=471
youtu.be/-pmZ_5mA5Go?t=974
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

amd drivers are less bloated and have made some real performance boosts
>change my mind

maybe op is just retarded

>Can someone explain to me why AMD drivers are worse than nvidia/intel?
They are not. hothardware.com/news/radeon-clobbers-geforce-amd-commissioned-audit-driver-stability
amd.com/system/files/documents/graphics-driver-quality.pdf

wangblows user detected

had a friend tell me this about amd drivers when I was talking about how excited I am for this next gen. Is it really bad enough to derail all this amd hype? I figure drivers can be updated but hardware can't and intel is still 14nm, nvidia 12nm, and AMD got the 7nm.

I use windows as my primary OS because I use a lot of windows programs for school and I like their note taking apps. I have an Ubuntu VM for dev work.

I will actually say that in linux AMD drivers are objectively better.

from what I've been seeing, Navi isn't going to be very hype, but if it can match a 2070 at a lower price, I'll seriously consider it.

bad amd drivers are a meme from another age. the only bad thing on the software side of amd gpus is that on occasion your mouse cursor does this

Attached: 2qxZj[1].jpg (270x360, 29K)

ATI has been dead for years and people still repeat that meme, the quality of the drivers has improved a lot in the last years. And yes, nvidia has "game ready" drivers on launch, they work a lot with game developers so it's no surprise they have a driver ready before the game launches.

Only happened to me on a PRE-GCN gpu.

Radeon/ATI bad drivers was an organized nvidia campaign to dilute their own driver issues; and this meme won't ever die.

both amd and nvidia have monthly driver updates, and I noticed amd has been a tad quicker than nvidia to release new game ready drivers recently

yeah mabe if you are still living in the catalyst era
cause they havent been bad for at least 4 years now

Nvidia has a more mature software stack than AMD. People write software that is ultimately accelerated by Nvidia cards as a mean to an end, they don't care that it is cross platform or not.

>Can someone explain to me why AMD drivers are worse than nvidia/intel?
they are not, I used 390 for 2 years, it was in no way worse than me now currently using 1070
also control panel on AMD is way more ergonomic, nvidia instead of pushing geforce experience everywhere should invest in control panel.

Amd drivers were a meme in the past but honestly they have been better than nvidia the last few years imo

well can you blame them its like 290x
despite the fact that no aib 290x was noisy but the fucking amd blower one people STILL think its loud and hot

current drivers are actually great

ah yeah the coping

>Testing by an independent third party on a selection of AMD and Nvidia gaming class and workstation class graphics cards has found that AMD's drivers suffer fewer crashes while running the test suite, leading them to claim that AMD's drivers are more stable than Nvidia's.

notebookcheck.net/Sick-of-video-drivers-crashing-Independent-auditor-finds-AMD-s-drivers-are-more-stable-than-Nvidia-s.316564.0.html

They used to be a meme and solid pieces of shit. Can't speak for how they are now though since they haven't made an appealing card for years.

I hope they still allow you to manually set your OC etc.

anything is better than the literal horseshit nvidia puts out now.

3 drivers ago they said they fixed the multi-monitor flicker and i still get it after clean driver install.

144hz+60hz still stutters after claming they have fixed it.

and their bloated to fucking shit.

I have 2 laptops one with M265 another with M270 and I can tell that Radeon drivers for Windows suck. Tried every single advice from forums (editing registry, config files), but drivers just doesn't work, games start with Intel HD no matter what you do. Someone on forums suggested to install outdated 15.7 drivers. After clean installing Windows and 15.7 drivers and configuring, some games sometimes work (yeah, the same game sometimes starts with Radeon sometimes with Intel HD), but ~70% of games doesn't even start without editing game configs. Fucking garbage never buying aymd graphics cards again. I also have a laptop with 650m and never had to edit a single config file, everything just works.

it's a problem AMD had with window's render engine. It was caching the mouse cursor incorrectly and corrupting it.

I didn't experienced driver issues with catalyst either. It was just catalyst a piece of shit that couldn't even control the fans correctly. It was easy to fix tough, and it had nothing to do with the drivers.
>meanwhile Nvidia rolled out a driver about the same time that literally killed gpus

to be exact nvidia has rolled for drivers so far on its history that killed gpus

They arent. A friend of mine and I built a system at the same time, very similar specs except he had a 1440p 75Hz monitor so he bought a 1660Ti whereas I got a Radeon VII. My drivers work wonderfully out of the box with excellent OC capabilities whereas his are causing stutter in many games.

Not to even mention GNU/Linux drivers where AMD's FOSS drivers are trillions of light years ahead of both Nouveau and the proprietary crap Nvidia puts out.

The delusion on this AMDrone is unreal

What is this? 2005 again? so far AMD drivers were amazing bringing new feature and shit to their hardware. While nVidia drivers are just killing cards.

It's not, it's an nVidia marketer trying to revive an old meme ahead of the Navi launch.

>worse than nVidia
The fuck are you smoking? nVidia has shit drivers.

LMFAO

AMD is still shit. Just take a look at their video encoders. 2019 and AMD's encoder is still SHIT while Nvidias turing encoder is actually on par with x265 fast on CPU.

Novideo drivers are infinitely worse than AMDs.
t. gtx 1070 user

post proof now with timestamp

>AMD drivers are worse than nvidia/intel?
It can't be worse than a driver from nvidia that fries your gpu. :)

Yeah vista totally not flopped because of shitty novideo drivers causing BSODs or anything.

AMD has better open sauce drivers than nvidia does (on Linux).

> Nvidia Game Ready
> Nvidia GeForce Experience
Marketing wank and botnet crap.

Can't post it now because I actually have a job and post from work machine.

>moving the goal post
Have you nigger ever tried an ATI card? Like put it in your system and use it for showing pixels on your Monitor
Even a gt220 can be used in Windows 10 wheres a hd4870 has all sorts of Bugs and shits the bed considering the gt220 is older this shit is pathetic, both don't Support win10 yet the gt220 works
Fine wine is a meme and amd drivers were always shit, even to this day
My rx580 nitro has weird issues i never had on a nvidia card, like occasionally white flickering in games

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah imagine larping on Jow Forums

>My rx580 nitro has weird issues i never had on a nvidia card, like occasionally white flickering in games
Seriously? that sounds very fucking annoying. How often does that happen, what monitor and what games?

>moving the goal post
Do you even know what it means?
>Have you nigger ever tried an ATI card?
I had one in my laptop
>Windows 10
lol no thank you. Though I think it would work fine anyway. Actually my parents used it with win10, not for games though (who would even play games on such an ancient card?)
>Fine wine is a meme
It is indeed a meme but who cares? It's a fact that GCN aged better than Kepler and first gen improved a lot with new drivers.
My 1070 had so much issues I never experienced on radeon cards I even considered downgrading to 480, though I stopped playing games instead.

Remember how AMD shills kept saying that Navi will deliver 2070 performance at 300$ and how nvidia is terrible for giving us those prices?
Well now that we are in full damage control mode this is the new script
youtu.be/-pmZ_5mA5Go?t=471
>they don't need to under cut competition AMD is in a commanding position and thus needs to undercut Nvidia just a little bit and thats fine, you are still getting lots of value

All my Radeon cards sounded like airplanes.

Why does Nvidia manage to be quiet. Is it because their arch isn't a housefire and so you don't need a massive cooling system to keep the noise down?

The hardware driver itself is pretty stable for both camps. The interface/settings is a whole other story though

amd uses the qt framework for their setting ui which functions smoothly and doesn't look half bad, the downside is that sometimes wattman doesn't set/display the current settings that was set.

meanwhile nvidia uses electronjs, fucking electronjs. I'm glad that you can install the driver without the geforce experience bs.

youtu.be/-pmZ_5mA5Go?t=974
Holy shit, amd shills actually compare RTX and tensor cores in GPUS to AMDs "feature" which is "radeonChill" that makes your framerate unstable, caps your fps(which you can do with like 10 different programs, that actually give you stable framerates) and "Saves you money by saving energy"

Imagine, JUST IMAGINE, shilling AMD becuse you can gimp their performance to save power, when they are housefires in the first place.
It's like telling you that a car that consumes more fuel is better for you, because you can just turn off the engine and drive in neutral periodically.

I don't know when exaclty it occurs it is random, i for the most time play gta5 it happens some times that one side flickes a few times
I have the same problem in apex legends
Also when i tested my system in fortnite i had micro freezes when moving very fast, like jumping from the bus
I have an old 60hz Samsung 1080p Monitor but i also tested it on a lg oled tv and some cheap chinese denver or something and had the same problems
I think it might be Windows causing these issues but regardless i never had such problems on nvidia no matter how fucked and old the software was, it always worked fine.
>Do you even know what it means?
Yes i do, do you? You completly ignored that anons post about ati and jumped on nvidia for no reason
>who would even play games on such an ancient card
I never mentioned gaming on it you spastic
It has wierd issues even in office work, like the screen being to dark and the colours being missmatched and alot of others
Nvidia on the other hand works without problems despite being much weaker and also older, it even has the controll panel
>Windows10
It doesn't matter if it's Windows 10 or xp or some goofed up linux distro
I got that card from a friend who does alot of retro builds because i retoured an xfx rx580 because of strong coil whine and i never believed him that ati cards had bad drivers until i experienced it myself
Even now amd drivers are certainly not on the same level as nvidias
Yes gcn aged better but at what cost? All the cards were power hungry and loud, especially the r9 290
I had a 7950 myself and i was mostly satisfied with it but it had horrible driver suppprt, you had to wait months so that your card would utilize it's full Potential unlike nvidia who had everything good in just a few days or maybe weeks
Remember BF3?

You don't install drivers for CPUs, so you can call your friend a retard and buy a Ryzen safely without worry.
If you meant GPUs, it's still fine. AMD's drivers were dumpster fire 10 years ago. Nowadays, they're fine and on par with Nvidia.
Nvidia actually has a much worse track record in the past years than AMD, with their drivers straight up killing screens or entire laptops altogether, but no one ever mentions that, instead they only parrot the old tired meme "AMD drivers bad xd" without any real proof or evidence to back it up.

not him, but i'm starting to not very like my 1070.
actually miss 390, my only hope for 5700 to be good. also weaker picture quality is not a meme, it's true. I'm two years on both cards, older games I replayed dozen times look worse on 1070 somehow, seriously, that color compression shit is bad. can't be sure about culling aggressiveness, but colors do look off.

Attached: 52367456335345.jpg (1573x1189, 179K)

AMD drivers still have issues.

Such as?

>color compression
lmfao gtfo with your placebo anime shit

Extremely poor opengl performance

OpenGL is a dying technology. Just switch to Vulkan already.

linux doesn't count.

Bot.

Tell most professional applications that

They're really not, not any more at least. In the past 5-6 years AMD's drivers have gotten MUCH better and really isn't an issue anymore, but old memes still live on.

The post was about novideo drivers shitting the bed and novideo starting falseclaiming campaign which is essentially correct
I did mention games, develop some reading comprehension. It has no issues in office applications regardless.
>the screen being to dark and the colours being missmatched
That's you getting used to nvidia limited color space meant for shitty TVs and falseflagging at amd for delivering accurate colors
>It doesn't matter if it's Windows 10
If you are having OS specific problems that certainly has nothing to do with the OS
>Even now amd drivers are certainly not on the same level as nvidias
Indeed, they are far ahead
GCN aging better isn't even a relevant here, you referenced finewine for no reason.
>All the cards were power hungry and loud
I'm getting tired of your bullshit, GCN was more power efficient than Kepler even though Kepler came out later.
>Remember BF3?
I do. Played it at high settings on my 7870 without issues. I also remember novideo faggots crying about not being able to play tomb rider for 2 weeks, so fucking what? It is common for modern game developers to take money for gimping performance on certain platform, which is the reason behind drivers being bloated with workarounds for certain games. Nvidia does that more often than AMD because they have bigger marketing budget. Do you perhaps insist this is a good practice that benefits users? You are fucking sick.
Modern nvidia drivers don't force color compression, you might have some false impression. Though nvidia has plenty of problems with older games, I had to drop my arcanum playthrough when I switched to nvidia because letterboxing didn't work and graphics were all fucked up (misaligned textures, etc.)
It's worse but not "extremely poor". Perhaps you are confusing it with intel GPUs.

>That's you getting used to nvidia limited color space meant for shitty TVs and falseflagging at amd for delivering accurate colors
Its always baffled me as to why Nvidia almost always defaults to "limited" color over anything HDMI, does it often to computer monitors too. Very few eirly TVs with HDMI even need the limited color space, most all displays are full range.

Because HDMI is meant for TVs. There are DVI and Displayport for PC displays. HDMI on monitors was adopted because of consoles. Though it puzzles me why TVs require limited range, I'm no fan of television.

Last time I had an AMD Card, it wouldn't render objects in Space Engineers properly (everything was transparent except for the edges) and it kept crashing Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, which the devs even listed as a bug exclusive to AMD Cards.

Switched to Nvidia in 2016 and never looked back. Haven't had a single graphical issue since. Software is also nicer in general.

>Though it puzzles me why TVs require limited range,
Its a legacy carry over from early panels+DSPs (we're talking around mid 2000s) having only the ability to render limited color ranges (helped alleviate bandwidth issues, etc), but it only took a few years for everything on the market to support full color ranges, or at least accept full range and convert internally, yet Nvidia's drivers still default to limited today even.

>I did mention games, develop some reading comprehension. It has no issues in office applications regardless.
You what? Are you retarded or something?
You wrote in your previous post that i sayed something about gaming on these cards which i never did
>If you are having OS specific problems that certainly has nothing to do with the OS
It isn't OS specific as i suggested it's the same on retro builds and windows xp or lower
>Indeed, they are far ahead
Whatever you say fanboy it won't come true
>It is common for modern game developers to take money for gimping performance on certain platform
Except it took amd months to avtually come close in an amd sponsored game that was one of the the most importantant in that time
>I'm getting tired of your bullshit, GCN was more power efficient than Kepler even though Kepler came out later
No they weren't you lying pos, the r9 290x sucked way over 400watts of power and the custom once even more
And only the sapphire trix and vapor x cards could actually cool it and being below 60decibel but even these cards were over 50db despite all that the 780ti was faster and quieter
>That's you getting used to nvidia limited color space meant for shitty TVs and falseflagging at amd for delivering accurate colors
I am fucking done with you amd defense subhumans
No matter what you absolute niggers will come up with some shitty story about magic Features of a shitty working product
Incase you dumb subhuman didn't read i have a rx580, had multiple graphics cards from both manufacturers and have friends that do retro builds with old ati, nvidia, 3dfx and intel products and i, they and alot of people on the internet have similar problems with ati products
Despite all that you delusional blind amddrone try to sell me bad drivers as some 10bit killer colour Feature
Holy fucking shit
I will screencap this so we have a good laugh at you fanboy subhumans

I had r9 290 and rtx 2080 ti. In my experience, Nvidia drivers are worse. Constantly breaking hardware decode in Firefox. Weird cursor corruption too. They did fix it but still it took some months.

Maybe stop using windows?

>use AMD drivers
>all these settings, overclocking, nice UI, update checking, it has everything
>switch to nvidia
>see this
Honestly AMD's drivers are much better now

Attached: ss (2019-05-28 at 16.37.11).png (960x711, 172K)

Fuck off, retard. Won't even read your bullshit again.

This isn't even driver but whatever

>drivers
thats not a driver dumbo
second you see the
>use advanced 3d image settings
its there if you want something more you know...advanced. But realistically you aren't pointing that out because you actually care, you just want to shill for AMD.

Have you ever used this new amd ui? This shit is horrible and you can't find anything in it
Nvidia is still way better, you have everyrhing clear in front of you and nothing is hidden
These new amd ceimson drivers appear to be some pajeet attemting designer school project rather than functional Software

the nvidia control panel gets it done but it very slow to use. managing 3d settings for specific applications is can be annoying. they need to speed their shit up.

AMD settings looks appealing but is pretty much useless. Try disabling vsync globally on AMD. Chances are, you will fail. Even though novideo control panel is ugly, at least it actually works.

> but it very slow to use. managing 3d settings for specific applications is can be annoying. they need to speed their shit up.
use this

Attached: 643.jpg (1886x1909, 573K)

Idk about the speed but really miss this layout i can't find shit in my crimson driver
I even played with the idea selling my amd card for an nvidia because of this retarded Layout
I really hate it

This absolutly this
Although i don't find it ugly i just find it very functional and fast to use because you can find everything in that tabular layout

Try to disable "game optimization". Chances are, you will fail.

Attached: ss (2019-05-28 at 16.58.59).png (445x327, 36K)

Sorry I deleted this shit as it made my system unstable.

Same, I just want Shadowplay, but nvidia forces all this shit on me.
AMD just asks "do you want relive or not" and you get an extra panel in the control center if you do.

Don't get me wrong, I plan to switch back to radeon too. But AMD settings is useless and that's the truth. If I had to set up streaming with radeon, I would use OBS with CVE encoding rather than relive anyway.

Why don't you fags just use the FREEE version of "shadowplay" called OBS studio?
None of the cancer, simple enough to use, a lot more customization.
Yet people for some reason act like you can only use AMD or Nvidia software for this purpose.

Because I use the feature where it automatically starts recording when you launch any game, and you can press a button to save only the last 45 seconds for example.
Basically record in hindsight.
When I know in advance that I want to record something now, I use OBS too.

Also, OBS actually causes FPS drops for me, unlike shadowplay. Yes, even on NVENC.

>Why don't you fags just use the FREEE version of "shadowplay" called OBS studio?
>Because I use the feature where it automatically starts recording when you launch any game, and you can press a button to save only the last 45 seconds for example.
??? DUDE, you can literally do that in OBS. What the fuck do you think I am talking when I say "shadowplay" but FREE?

>Also, OBS actually causes FPS drops for me, unlike shadowplay. Yes, even on NVENC.
Hasn't been the case for me. wonder why

>Hasn't been the case for me. wonder why
Probably cause I use a 144Hz monitor and a 60Hz monitor at the same time.
OBS makes my shit lag, but it lags less when I move the window on the 144Hz screen.

>Probably cause I use a 144Hz monitor and a 60Hz monitor at the same time.
Maybe, I use 2 screens but both are 120hz.
>OBS makes my shit lag, but it lags less when I move the window on the 144Hz screen.
Again haven't had that experience.

Maybe because you use low bit rate?
Obs is known for that shit, wheres relive and shadowplay are known to be extremly efficient

>delusional

remind us again how many drivers nvidia released so far that was bricking cards or downright burning them?

once you done answering take a walk through the roof and touch some graphite

oh no how amd gonna survive that a not even 1% of the userbase will use gpus for encoding

Starting from nothing usually leaves you with no where to go but up.

>Maybe because you use low bit rate?
Not at all, I use OBS specfically because of the higher quality options over relive and shadowplay.

lol novidiots got chewed up

lol amdrones got BTFO

My 290X and 390X both do this

Because you quoted me twice and I have already said I would rather use OBS?>Hasn't been the case for me
Some weird shit happens when you try to capture opengl. The impact was huge on my old 3570k but it was very minor on ryzen, haven't figured out the reason. Yes, with NVENC. Also obs studio in general performed much worse on i5 than classic obs.
He specifically said he used NVENC, same encoder shadowplay uses.

Anyway, for intel users I would recommend obs classic. I don't know the reason but it performed much better than obs studio. I don't see a difference on ryzen though.

>Modern nvidia drivers don't force color compression
what are you on about? it's integral part of architecture, they even advertised whole thing during pascal launch
the thing where it's full/limited is not a problem.

AMD spends something like 10% of what intel and nvidia spend on R&D. they're the budget company and with the low investment comes bugs and incompatibilities.

>If you meant GPUs, it's still fine. AMD's drivers were dumpster fire 10 years ago. Nowadays, they're fine and on par with Nvidia.
this is 100% what people were saying in 2009. top fucking kek.