Tech autism

>Be me
>Spend 5 years not being able to decide on an operating system
>Everyday thinking about what to use and switching between systems multiple times
>Crippling mentality, destroying marriage, debt
>Hearts with FOSS but feel limited
>Should really just stick with Windows and Android with Gapps as most compatible/least time consuming
>Fuck me

Attached: sigh.jpg (601x695, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Lies
Nobody spends 5 years using Linux without ditching botnet software.

It wasn't all Linux during the 5 years. It's been full FOSS ecosystem to Apple ecosystem and everywhere in between. Apple trash damaged me some. I think I need to just go back to what I started with before I started all these autistic habits which was just using the everman's OSs. Windows and prop Android.

iktf OP

my life is defined by the exact same sort of extraordinarily crippling indecisive autism, and it isn't just relegated to tech

Well that makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one. Yes I have the same habits with other things as well. Back and forth with thoughts on existentiality, career, etc, etc. I feel like I am close to just clicking out of these loops and living my purpose.

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html
> It is inadvisable to describe the free software community, or any human community, as an “ecosystem,” because that word implies the absence of ethical judgment.

yeah, with regards to tech, for example, i've spent god knows how long trying to decide on the best layout for my storage--from encryption methods, to drive/partition layout, to filesystem, to the hardware for my servers, etc.. with my last PC build, it took me weeks of contemplation for some components. i also spent a ton of time researching components for my network stack (router, switch, APs, etc.). i've gone through the same sort of autism with operating systems as well--my brain and thought process feels fundamentally broken, but i guess im glad im not a normalfag at least

anyway, if you're truly autistic, there's really no escaping from the flexibility and freedom that a *nix-like system affords you--honestly, i've had the same sort of back and forth mentality between "just werks" and alternative operating systems like linux, and ended back up in autism land every single time. i always tend to he happier with the environments i create for myself. if you really need windows for a particular reason, just dual boot or use a VM. as long as you have the right hardware configuration for it, gpu passthrough works well and really isn't that hard to set up.

Thanks for sharing user. It sounds like you've found a setup that you are comfortable with which is great. I say autistic jokingly but I really just strive for greatness. I'll figure this out. Something I too can be comfortable with. Need rest now. Peace.

you'll get there user. it might take longer than most folk but you'll be a lot happier in the end. good night

>Should really just stick with Windows and Android with Gapps as most compatible/least time consuming

The only real choice desu. Either that or mac and iphones. I know a shitload of professionals in both IT and design and nobody uses linux stupidity.

Attached: 1547479370039.jpg (552x557, 38K)

I have this too on and off.

I think we might as well go with whatever (FOSS or non-FOSS) OS that we feel the most comfortable with. We can never be sure that the maintainers of FOSS repos aren't putting in backdoors or that the phone baseband, driver blobs etc. arent't doing malicious things.

I've kind of decided I'm putting my trust into the big tech corps anyway. Apple, MS, Google. What we can do is not have everything sync to the cloud at least. Have a browser that isn't signed in, use that to at least feel like not everything is getting sucked up into far away servers.

I've come to the same conclusion as you OP, several times. The energy spent is such a waste of time. It's better to cheer up and realize that our impact on the spread of FOSS is non-existant and just use whatever is convenient (within reason).

>I know a shitload of professionals in both IT and design and nobody uses linux stupidity.
It's just a pain in the neck for very little gain.

A mac with it's terminal and package manager is a good experience for devs.

are you saying linux is botnet software gtfo idiot

For you

Yes, and for some people macOS and Windows is a huge pain and you couldn't make them switch from their distro of choice even if you tried.

I just meant that in general most devs seem happy with macOS and Windows even if they do stuff in a terminal.

no, you retard, that's the opposite of what they're saying
they're saying after being exposed to Gahnoo slash Loonicks for 5 years, no one willingly embraces the botnet by going back

most professional developers use macos every programmer on twich tv is using macos because its a unix system that supports packagemangement and the terminal is unix based. which i think linux is good i mean all are good for programming but you can get hacker that will figure out exploits for any os it happens.

Two more things; using Windows or macOS makes it easier to get supported software, find solutions to common problems etc. Also, there are more ways to shape the future of software than using and supporting FOSS, here in the EU the politicians seem very willing to slam MS, Goog and apple to the ground when they feel like they are being to anti-competitive and harming consumers.

And a final thing, you have to place your trust somewhere. Placing it with non-FOSS companies isn't necessarily a bad thing since their interests mostly align with yours and when they don't you can use the EU/whatever your government is to steer them in the right direction (with the threat of massive fines).

>Have always owned cars that had the same amount of cylinders as my CPU had cores
>Owned a 4-banger Ford Focus back when I owned a i5-3570k
>Then a 6 cylinder Ford Fusion Sport when I bought into the i7-5820k
>And now a Ford Mustang GT with my Ryzen R7-1700X
>Fully intend to get the brand new Ryzen R9-3900X when it launches with it's 12 cores
>The fact that I can't get a 12cyl motor car easily without it being collectors is causing me anxiety.

Honestly I never thought too much into it all. The cylinders:cores thing was always a happy coincidence. But now that I'm aware of it, it annoys me.

Attached: CE13BDB68E324CC08D935AD2EA590690.gif (540x304, 695K)

I didn't say whether or not I agreed with user. I was just explaining what their post means, since someone else clearly misunderstood it.

Aston Martin makes excellent V12s.

>>Crippling mentality, destroying marriage, debt

because you were thinking about your OS?

>every programmer on twich tv is using macos
>twitch
>macOS
sounds right to me