Real talk if both of these languages released at the same time which one would have people chosen? I'd say Rust

Real talk if both of these languages released at the same time which one would have people chosen? I'd say Rust

Attached: 24142114.png (752x240, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.rust-lang.org/book/ch19-01-unsafe-rust.html
doc.rust-lang.org/stable/rust-by-example/unsafe.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what do you mean by the same time? if you mean cpp's creation timeline I'll say cpp because it's syntax was close to C, so that more programmers easily adopted it.

If my aunt had balls we would call her 'uncle'

C++ because most C code is valid C++ code and the rest needs just small fixes.
There is no reason to believe Rust would win, because changing to Rust would require rewriting or creating bindings to all the preexistent C stuff and when you are not working with FOSS nobody is going to do that for you.

Its not like code that requires C speed will work in C++ which is slower

c++ is faster than c and running c code through gcc hs g++ will produce the same speed code

>Its not like code that requires C speed will work in C++ which is slower
You clearly don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Attached: 1558673801353.png (1000x432, 165K)

wow

C++
>Almost all C code runs
>The standard library is fucking amazing
>Basically the only programing language accepted in international competitive programming

That last part really sets them apart

For me the co

C++, because your competitor would be shipping a functioning (albeit insecure) product while you'd still be fighting the borrow checker.

Rust. You don't need to bind to C or use C libs for Rust. It just works.

Rust because only 80-year-old boomers remotely enjoy pre-11 C++.

As far as I'm concerned, Rust is only useful for projects that need to be both very fast and very secure. Encryption libraries, SSH servers, generic image loaders/processors, etc.

The small but growing movement to use Rust for gamedev is bizarre to me. For games, you /cannot/ use a language that actively distrusts you. You need to build it quickly, change it quickly, and ship it.

Ada because it's a better Rust without the SJW and political bullshit.

I like Rust's compiler. Fuck C and especially fucking abomination that is C++.

Python

Can't tell if bait or actually retard that thinks C++ is slow, lol.

so just use c++11 and later? that's what I assume what people mean when they use c++

Literally fucking who language

Anyone who hates C doesn't understand it and sucks at programming.

Think of it this way: Pascal and C were released about the same time (like two years apart), both had almost the same capabilities, lots of compiler implementations, and a solid design for use as a development tool on tiny machines with very little RAM. Pascal was also taught everywhere, while C was... not. But one of them is still around, and the other is forgotten.

Rust is in a pretty good position to proliferate just by virtue of using permissive licenses throughout its entire ecosystem. Ada is GPL3 on a good day. If it wants to compete it better step up its game.

>that's what I assume what people mean when they use c++
You're so naive...

>The small but growing movement to use Rust for gamedev is bizarre to me
I guess a lot of newcomers try to get into game dev so it kinda makes sense to use that to lure them into the language early on.
A lot of the hype surrounding Rust runs on marketing anyway so it's really not too surprising to hear that.

>and ship it.
This is the part that blows my mind. Anyone would realize that "I'm gonna make my game in Rust" really means "I'm gonna make the first Rust program in history that actually ships." Even a blind kid could see a red flag that big. Who the fuck is buying into this hype? How dumb do they have to be?

based

imagine being this deluded

Ada is just as safe, even safer, than Rust

>build it quickly
easier if you have fewer bugs
>change it quickly
VERY much easier if you have fewer bugs

I'd say Rust looks like a solid choice.

>>Basically the only programing language accepted in international competitive programming
Okay, Pajeet.

Attached: shitcoder.jpg (474x727, 52K)

>C++
>beautiful and cleanly designed

Wrong again, retard.

Attached: delphi.jpg (1000x750, 72K)

Designed by a bald-headed looney tune that hasn't produced one (not a fucking one) industrial strength software system, ever. Yet the retarded and brainlets laud C++ like its the second coming.
Fuck off you street shitting monkey.

Attached: shitstreet.jpg (202x250, 8K)

Rust is still in beta, there are bugs everywhere.

You get less bugs because you cant test for more than half of them.

If you see real game developer creating engines, they all write in the C++ subset that is similar to C. They try to maximise data layout in memory in order to get performance, which is something that Rust sucks at.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Actually, he works at Morgan Stanley, so you should just STFU.

lol, who even uses that shit anymore

pascal and delphi are deader than your brain

If one language was mired in political agenda and the other wasn't, people would have chosen the one that isn't unnecessarily controversial, even if the other happened to be technically better.
Engineers are more hearts-over-mind than you expect.

Of course, this is all assuming Rust is better in any way--which it isn't.

There is no movement, its just a bunch of people writing shitty 2d games, like there is for any language.

I don't like rust because the logo looks retarded.

Attached: 1538313644292.jpg (780x879, 585K)

Anyone who refers to “C/C++” as one unit probably isn’t very familiar with C++11 and beyond, so given how common that is I’d guess there are plenty of people who aren’t.

>probably isn't very familiar with C++11 and beyond
It changes so much every three years that you may as well just call it a different language, because god knows how many people really understand all of that bullshit.

Haskell's math-derived autism is easier to understand than that.

Larp harder too you fucking spastic.

Attached: pajeetstalker.png (677x960, 626K)

Fancy a live coding stream challenge ?

Listen here, shitlord

Rust has turned out to be almost as big of a mess as modern C++, the difference is C++ has a useful core (C) and nobody uses rust.

Not in beta

You can test whatever you want

Doesn't have a safe way to dynamically allocate memory, whereas Rust uses RAII

Zig

Why does Rust sick at it? You can lay your data out any way you want

It forces you to put things on the heap

>If you see real game developer creating engines, they all write in the C++ subset that is similar to C.
No they don't.

Can you even write to arbitrary memory addresses? Otherwise Rust is absolutely useless for programming embedded devices.

Yes but if you want to do that in a safe environment you need to wrap all the unsafe code in functions or structures.

Transgenderism was still outside of the social norm back when C++ was released. Rust would have died instantly by association.

>Can you even write to arbitrary memory addresses?
Yes.
You can obviously only deference them in an unsafe-block, but Rust does have raw pointers:
doc.rust-lang.org/book/ch19-01-unsafe-rust.html
doc.rust-lang.org/stable/rust-by-example/unsafe.html

Java

The absolute state of cniles.

fn main() {
unsafe { std::ptr::write(5 as *mut [u8; 13], *b"frosted butts") };
}