B-BUT RAY TRACING IS A MEME

>B-BUT RAY TRACING IS A MEME

youtu.be/unGtBbhaPeU

Attached: 5C483111-A491-4F45-876B-E761794DD345.png (1334x750, 1.73M)

Other urls found in this thread:

brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/
youtu.be/5jD0mELZPD8
youtu.be/yrUSBqYqodQ?t=157
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>bing bing wahoo

is that video supposed to challenge your memetext statement?
cause it doesn't quite the opposite imo

Attached: DmTBnKeX0AMCKb3.jpg_large.jpg (512x408, 45K)

Ray tracing was never a meme. vdia and their shitty overpriced products are.
Also the fact that they use propritry drivers, and try to buy exclusive rights to games, and make them unplayable on other cards is why people hate vidiaCucks.

Never seen anyone say that tho

Name a better GPU company.

I'd care if it was Quake 1 instead.

Intel did this shit with Quake 4... 10 years ago.

JOE ROGAN IS HAPPY

3dfx

Attached: 1533062898996.png (284x529, 56K)

It's already been done, btw.
brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/

Attached: q2vkpt_2019_04_11_08_02_17_959.jpg (2560x1440, 3.07M)

Voodoo II, now THAT'S a 3d accelerator card.

Attached: 72005026_F793_4171_98C2_A87BA4BAA67B.jpg (726x960, 134K)

You win.

>buy a RTX to play 20yo games
man..

High-end GPUs are going to get replaced with render farms soon enough. So it does not matter unless you are a gaymen

Voodoo Graphics

Did they seriously downgrade the previous demo? It had a darker tone before.

seeing people pretend like ray tracing isn't a huge deal just because they're pissed about products is so sad. normies have truly infiltrated everywhere in tech. real time ray tracing has always been a dream. I can't believe how much the community is shitting on it. fucking normies.

>buy a $1000 graphics card so you can play a 30 year old game with better lighting

the absolute state of nvidia shills

gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

kill yourself normie scum. you don't deserve how amazing tech has become.

>can run a 20+ year old game at somewhat reasonable speeds
Whoop-de-doo.

Attached: mayaka-3.jpg (1280x720, 238K)

based

Attached: 023.jpg (1000x1000, 208K)

the average consumer doesn't understand how big of a deal ray-tracing is and the demos don't have the same "wow" factor as other tech-demos, so if you don't know how complicated ray-tracing is already you aren't going to appreciate the demos

Real-time ray-tracing is nice, but doesn't practically exist. RTX, which is what people are actually talking about, is less nice.

>he doesn't know.

Retard no GPU on the market right now is capable of real-time ray tracing. What vidia is calling RTRT is actually some shitty ML model that emulates RT.

You literally made all that up. And AMD uses proprietary drivers too...

yes. it's an extremely advanced approximation of something in real time that can't be done without approximation. if you spend some time learning about computer graphics you'll start to understand that approximations are everywhere and something being an approximation doesn't make it "not real"

>ray tracing in a 20 year old game
THANK YOU BASED NVIDIA

Rtx completely ruins the asthetic and the atmosphere of quake 2, but at the same time i dont think anyone in this thread was old enough or has even played q2 considering it was the least popular of the series

well played

Attached: 1549908455940.jpg (1920x1080, 315K)

No, the point is that real-time ray-tracing doesn't even exist as an approximation, except on 20-year-old games.

No, RTX is a meme. We had raytraced Quake 2 years before Nvidia RTX ray tracing was even a thing.
Poor fucking zoomer consumerist tards are left baffled.

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)

How can you ray trace in a shader? Isn't the whole purpose of ray tracing is to avoid all of that by just shooting a ray out of every pixel of your screen to get the color it should be based off what it hits.

Attached: 1530991338510.png (680x521, 94K)

>Isn't the whole purpose of ray tracing is to avoid all of that by just shooting a ray out of every pixel of your screen to get the color it should be based off what it hits.
it's not exactly that simple
even doom does what you just described (simple ray casting)

>Sir, how do you want to present this demo of our latest tech?
>BLUR AND BLOOM MY BOYS, BLUR AND BLOOM

Why the piss filter?

>not a meme
>hey look quake 2 in 2019

This

it does. go learn what rtx actually does. it's real time ray tracing and an extremely advanced approximation between each ray traced region. it's literally real time ray tracing and it's amazing that it's as good as it is. mindless drones dismissing rtx because the community at large doesn't understand it and they just follow what youtubers tell them is the dumbest thing that's happened in years. rtx is a breakthrough, and it's wasted on normies.

because real is brown

Attached: 070119.jpg (692x1317, 285K)

It's basically that + reflection + refraction, is it not?

people are dismissing RTX because is a meme
its real raytracing but at what cost ?
upscaling less than native res and pushing it through a post processing engine like a fucking xbox to run raytracing makes it entirely not worth the cost

the garbage actually makes the game look worse
like some 15 dollar indie trash

>this is all the raytracing a 2080ti is capable of
>the rest is filled in with an adaptive temporal (enjoy your lag) denoising filter

Attached: qvkpt_720p.png (1280x720, 1.93M)

Too bad no card can run it at a decent fps so far.

BUY A $2000 CARD SO YOU CAN PLAY A 30 YEAR OLD GAME WITH SLIGHTLY BETTER LIGHTING GOY

great
a dark atmospheric game got turned into a fucking fortnite

yes, and if you knew anything about the technology you would understand how amazing that is

>And AMD uses proprietary drivers too...
Except it doesn't. There is both open source DRM driver in kernel and support in Mesa.

Found the real normie.
Do you want interactive movies or do you want to play video games?
Don't bother answering that, we already know what you'd want.

It's real-time ray traced shadows and reflections at a horrid 1 sample per pixel. The focus on hardware dedicated to ray tracing is great, but the current offering doesn't even have enough processing power to do the actual lighting. That's still rasterized in every modern game that utilizes RTX.

>actually makes the game uglier
>not a meme

>it doesn't quite the opposite
agreed

...part of Nvidia now though

Sure thing, kid.

But ray tracing isn't a meme. Nvidia RTX cards are

Attached: 1520801538206.jpg (600x500, 83K)

This.

Will we ever see a ray traced dorf fort?

It's ray-tracing, but it's not real-time. Except this Quake II rewrite with 20-year-old assets, no RTX-enabled game actually uses ray-traced rendering. They only use ray-tracing for miscellaneous implementations, like reflections, ambient occlusion, shadows or other secondary lighting techniques that are relatively fine with few samples per pixel (keyword still being "relatively" fine, though). The primary rendering is still rasterization. RTX isn't even anywhere close to enabling actual ray-traced rendering on any even semi-modern title, not even within an order of magnitude, or more likely even two or three.

It's like putting a shitty painting in a really fancy frame. Just does not do anything for me. Is this why you kids keep paying though the nose for cards? To put sun jizz on everything?

My GTX 1070 can run this no problem. If only nShitia drivers didn't suck cock so badly and crash all the damn time. I'm getting a Radeon card next chance I get.

So happy I paid 1600£ and didn't kvetch

looks cool

That looks like fucking garbage. Holy shit, kids, are you intentionally trying to make games into unplayable pretty shit just to impress idiots?

the only people impressed by ray tracing are the small percentage of people who actually understand what a breakthrough it is, idiots like you are the ones it's lost on. they wasted money impressing the tech elite instead of the idiot masses like yourself.

I loved q2, it was the first game I was able to play in open gl mode with my 3dfx 'sli' card.

>dark atmospheric game got turned into a fucking fortnite

This, using GI is missing the whole fucking point

Dunno why they went and brightened everything up so much.
Otherwise, it looks pretty decent.

>left: soul
>right: soulless

because it's a meme, nothing more.

>A full ray-tracing game coming out a year after the RTX cards launched...

Raytracing isn't a meme, it's the future. The only thing that is currently a meme is the implementation of Nvidia with hardware that isn't powerful enough, thus assraping your FPS to the point where it isn't worth it.

This should be the only critique on the demo. What they are doing is damn nice I don't care what retards say. Specially to someone who plays around with game art on the side. It's cool as fug. And once fans get their hands on it they will tweak it to perfection.

Rxt is still way too expensive for the mainstream, not untill the low end cards can do it well. 3d art nerds are shitting themselves to have one.

>remake old ass 3D game with raytracing
>it means that it can be done with raytracing only

I'll pirate it

So RTX only works properly on a 22 year old game? at least they're hitting 60FPS now?

>They can only get RTS to have high frame rate on ancient games
The absolute state of RTX. I think I'll stick with my 1080ti until I can see how R VII performs.

Don't even need to (well you need the assets from the base game if you don't already have them)

>being this autistic

I have a physical copy of Quake 2, guess I'll just use that, no need to pay for a download and no need to pirate.

Doesn't look very good. Too bright.

S O U L vs soulless thread?

>at least they're hitting 60FPS now?
At 1080p yes. At 1440p it runs a bit less than 60fps on a 2080ti.

wtf i love ray tracing now

Or, you could use these sample points as input lighting data for a more traditional renderer. You aren't doing full-on raytracing but you're dynamically lighting the entire scene without prebaked lighting. Then you do temporal denoising on them to reduce lighting noise from frame to frame, because even as you move the lighting in a scene doesn't change much.

>I think I'll stick with my 1080ti until I can see how R VII performs.
Spoilers: it performs very similar to a 1080ti but a few years later and for less money. It'd be a sidegrade. I'm probably sticking with my 1080ti for a couple more generations, until raytracing becomes more viable. Then I'll buy whichever brand is offering a better high end card below the Titan price range.

Why did they turn on the lights on the RTX versión? That's not "Quake with Raytracing", they are not being faithful to the orignial.

>normie on Jow Forums mad that people understand technology

you zoomers where a mistake.

It's a good thing you kill yourselves so often.

youtu.be/5jD0mELZPD8
Minecraft is the real benchmark.

It is very nice to see just a shame you need a stupidly powerful gpu going full whack just to get half decent fps.

DXR is literally a poorfag/AMDrone detector

People out themselves left and right I find it funny.

older generations have a much higher suicide rate. the zoomer suicide rate is lower than millennials at the same age, just given more media attention. older men are the main suicide demographic.

I want to see Doom3 with RTX.

They should have done this with Quake Live. Fuck them.

Part of Nvidia, try again

Matrox

This is Doom 3 with RTX on. Duct tape mod not yet implemented.

Attached: maxresdefault(5).jpg (1280x720, 15K)

the only advantage RTX has for doing ray tracing over any AMD card of equivalent performance is the hardware accelerated DLSS/de-noising. RTX cards literally cannot ray trace any better than AMD cards, and what you see on your monitor is 90% post-processing cleaning up a horrifically shitty image you get from the ray tracing. If you turn off the denoising shit what you get is eye cancer, and a radeon vii can achieve the same level of performance with that kind of ray tracing implementation.
youtu.be/yrUSBqYqodQ?t=157 their own joke image explains it perfectly.