/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

!!! GUIX 1.0.1 is released gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/gnu-guix-1.0.1-released/ !!!

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1528922844945.png (602x500, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hal.inria.fr/hal-01161771
phys.org/news/2017-09-environments.html
privatebin.net/?7d6ed11bc81fc620#Un6Qul3ZWeeQ H4qpaqq0Fu6nQjoAHxOoPPxsP/7/sM=
privatebin.net/?33850ba907b3d24e#oWnOQLLl64KVEy31dqKHlmi4xDi1cFIcn1ZAFEHQuL4=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Install Guix Install Guix

Attached: 1530550864244.png (814x576, 257K)

Is Guix usable as a serious development environment?

Attached: 0HQroXxc8A74JemAL8ianfqGWaeyxcuENxMkD8dcyyo.jpg (432x767, 77K)

redpill: Ubuntu minimal install + Cinnamon is the most comfy Linux experience

Attached: Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-05-28 16-40-25.png (1366x768, 73K)

eww imagine not using a tiling wm

What's the best bitcoin wallet client for linux?
Armory and electrum flat out do not work.

Linux kernel kernels Linux kernels.

Absolutely, in fact I think that should be one of its major strong points considering you can make 1 config file and "deploy" it across tons of different systems to create identical environments rapidly.
The Guix package manager literally lets you produce docker images from any of its packages (not to mention it can also produce docker-like sandboxed "containers" on its own without docker)
That's all perfect for DevOps.

There's also the fact that the package mangers operations are "atomic", and you can rollback to previous states.

However, implied by your question is also the question of whether or not it's "ready" yet.
I think that's a bit more tricky and I'd have to give it a "it depends" answer. It depends on how well you think you can learn Guix, because in a "serious development environment" you don't want to run into a wall, and you may have a use case that nobody has had yet (or nobody has documented yet). And so you'd have to be a bit clever, dig through some documentation, and figure it out.

But as it ages more (and in particular, as more people use it in serious development environments, reporting issues, documenting their experiences) I see it becoming a very first rate system for production environments.

what drivers for vega 56 on debian?

Attached: 1529020046800.jpg (1280x720, 111K)

amdgpu + install amd firmwares
if it doesn't work, has problems or you need extra features amdgpu-pro (proprietary)

Installing debian not for the fist time. But first time see an option to choose kernels: linux-image-amd64 and linux-image-4.9.0-8-amd64. Googling didn't help. Is there any difference?

Guix was created as a development environment for institutions like INRIA, Utrecht Bioinformatics Center, Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine.

first is a metapackage that pulls in the latest kernel. Second is a solo version.

I recommend installing the metapackage so you
-always get the latest version available for debian
-can easily remove old kernels with apt autoremove

Please use a search engine that respects your privacy.

thanks

Got it, thanks

Is there a guide to where Guix's configs are, or where they should be put? The official documentation is pretty vague.

How tf does one grep time. Tried both and it didn't work.
grep real

oh shit, time prints to stderr for some reason
nvm

moreover, Guix's chief is a French PhD in computing and an engineer at INRIA, and Guix is at least partially is an INRIA-affiliated project
hal.inria.fr/hal-01161771

As far as I know there's only 1 that actually matters where it goes, and that's if you want to add channels. You specify additional channels in ~/.config/guix/channels.scm

The only other files you'd be dealing with are any custom packages you make (which you can put anywhere, but it's recommended to make a local git repo and then add that directory to your channels.scm.
And also if you're using Guix System (the full distro) you'd have a main system config file that you can also put anywhere you want, since whenever you use it you supply the path, like
>guix system reconfigure /etc/guix/system.scm

new to linux just installed Crux.

why is it so fucking hard to access shared folders from a windows computer?
i spent very many hours fixing this shit a while back and now when i got a new ssd and installed linux again, i can't remember everything that i did.
I have my old smb.conf but that's not enough.
Does barely anyone ever access shared folders from a windows computer on linux or why is it so god damn hard to find a solution for getting this shit to work? I've looked at so many fucking threads on different forums discussing samba on linux and I'm getting fucking pissed off

help

Go away

STOP USING WINDOWS

Attached: 1551871337770.jpg (1333x900, 80K)

new to linux just installed Linux from scratch

bash
$ { time sleep 1; } |& grep real

posix
${ time sleep 1; } 2>&1 | grep real

Is it bad to install something like Debian over a whole hard drive? I've been dual-booting Linux Mint with Windows 10 for a while now and have considered it for some time. All I want to know is if installing over the current setup could fuck up the UEFI somehow.

new to linux just uinstalled linux

actually can happen to you if you're new to linux

dont touch the efi partition and it should be fine.

I can confirm this. Accidentally removed all linux images when cleaning up, inclusive the kernel in use.

install Xfce

Attached: työpöytä.png (1280x1024, 115K)

no, because I don't like the logo

Attached: 1523178709340.jpg (249x249, 8K)

Feel free to come ask on #guix on freenode :)

If you've installed a distro that doesn't include the packages you need to get online with your setup, you can still get online by following these steps:
>get online with a known working computer
>prepare storage media (if the only media you have is the installation media, then on the fresh install you can use fdisk or parted to append a storage partition to it and mkfs to format that partition)
>search what packages the distro of your choice offers for internet connectivity with your setup (if your setup is wpa wifi, for example, you'll usually want wpa_supplicant)
>search how to use your distro's package manager to look up dependencies for given packages without actually installing (e.g apt-get --print-uris install package-name ...)
>on the offline fresh install, mount the storage media, run the command to look up dependencies on the desired packages, and redirect output to a file on the storage media
>unmount and remove media, mount it on the working computer
>on the working computer, download the packages listed in the file you just created to a packages directory on the same media as the list
>after downloading, unmount again and remount on the offline install
>navigate to the packages directory on the media and run whatever command your package manager offers to install packages from files (e.g dpkg -i *)
>configure newly installed packages if needed and reboot
>should be online, test with a ping or something

any alternatives to GIMP?

good post

Guix in Physics magazine:
phys.org/news/2017-09-environments.html

any XFCE themes that don't look like a late 00s desktop? also, what are your favorite themes for xfce?

greybird

Learning GIMP. Read a book, watch some videos, read the docs.

just disabled hyperthreading bros
i feel like corelet now ;_;

Nice. Unfortunately they have to cite and introduce the GNU project because linus grabs all the lights for himself and leaves us with an horribly bloated kernel.

Well, bucko, you're good enough for a friend, but my experience of you so far has not indicated the suitability of your genetic material for continued propagation

for some reason I liked Shiki-Colors

>Shiki-Colors
It's not bad actually. MATE has many nice themes too, just download the themes package from your repos.

>Shiki-Colors
>updated Aug 03 2009
It's not going to work with gtk3.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK WARTFACE

Whiskers is qt. :'[

Debian stable + Xfce is maximum /comfy/.

Attached: 0e9070ee9e78853a.png (600x847, 696K)

A better Cinnamon is why Linux Mint exists.

Stop using linux. Is retard and sucks.
Use OpebBSD instead.

gentoo gnu + linux

Pedo degenerates like you are NOT supposed to make a smart decisions.
Delete your post right now.

Best DE coming through.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-28 21-13-44.png (1366x768, 1.36M)

Mint is more bloated, I prefer standard Ubuntu

yeah, Unity was still better than Gnome 3 they're using now

First time posting here because I legit don't know what is causing the issue. My internet is throttled to 10Mb/s on Linux. Works fine when I'm booted to Windows.

I understand it's probably something with autoneg and the advertised speed but I slept through my networking classes and have no clue what that even means.

Ethernet connection, Arch Linux. My router is ISP's so I can't access it.

ethtool enp3s0
privatebin.net/?7d6ed11bc81fc620#Un6Qul3ZWeeQ H4qpaqq0Fu6nQjoAHxOoPPxsP/7/sM=

I ran this before:
ethtool -s enp3s0 autoneg off speed 10 duplex full

If I change the speed to 100 or anything else, the network doesn't connect anymore and the interface is down, even when I try to bring it up with
ip link set enp3s0 up

Any ideas?

Attached: 60900300_2499311560092602_6234076323552165888_n.jpg (768x960, 192K)

>Pedo degenerates
?
>are NOT supposed to make a smart decisions.
Learn to write.
>Delete your post right now.
"no"

Also there is nothing wrong with pedophilia.

Attached: 1520742283861.png (969x1000, 856K)

*dies*

>Arch Linux
It's a driver bug. Try an older or newer kernel and stop falling for memes.

16.04 still has two years of support.

Not sure if I want to change the kernel, this really doesn't seem like it.

Also there are two drivers for the card I have, r8168 and r8169, both have the same issue. I haven't tried using the official drivers from Realtek because they are marked as for an older version of the kernel that I have.

lshw -C network
privatebin.net/?33850ba907b3d24e#oWnOQLLl64KVEy31dqKHlmi4xDi1cFIcn1ZAFEHQuL4=

Who the hell brought the square?

got forked didn't it?
until there is not a single hobbyist plugging away at a keyboard for it, a project never dies.
and that's a good thing.

Pretty sure the only continuation project is for Unity 8, which is that convergence bullshit.

Cuck

I've nearly finished installing arch and I forgot what I mounted my EFI system (/dev/sda1) as. Possibly as /efi, possibly as mnt/efi, I'm not sure. What tool can I use to verify that? mount only checks my root directory /dev/sda3

cat /proc/mounts

The only partition it lists is /dev/sda3, did I never mount it before? Could have sworn I did

Alternatively, should I mount it to /boot so that it updates with kernel updates?

if you cannot see it in any of the places then no you didn't.

Okay got it, thanks

Why are some xfce-panel items not affected by some gtk themes, while working completely fine with others? What am I missing? Is there a way to know if a theme will have this issue? How can I find if a widget uses gtk2 or gtk3?

Attached: Screenshot.png (482x72, 7K)

>minimal installing
>not using a tiling wm
kys

What genre tag should I give The Mamas and the Papas? Rock, Classic Rock, Pop, Vocal, Oldies?

mate doesn't have this issue

I tried to install Gentoo but when I selected a profile that wasn't the default I got nothing but errors for blocked packages or masked packages whenever I tried to install anything. Also the installation guide says to change the make.conf file before the chroot but once I chrooted in make.conf was back to default. And should I feel bad if I try to use SystemD in Gentoo? I'm trying to test out Wayland and it seems the DE's that support it all require the SystemDick. Maybe I'm just too much of a brainlet for Gentoo after all.

So im installing Void Linux to give it a try
I was mostly using arch and played around with gentoo, so im not used to installation gui's
It is now asking me if i want to "Use a graphical terminal for the boot loader?"
What is a graphical terminal and why would i want it for my boot loader?

Guess whatever boot loader it uses supports the good ol' 80x25 text mode and also VESA "high resolution" modes where it can display truetype fonts, background graphics etc. GRUB can do this, idk what Void uses.

About to reformat my home rig. Doing a combination of work and gaming on it. Been using Kubuntu on all my machines for some time, but I want to query into Manjaro KDE. What's the state of it now?

My big issue is that lots of little stuff you find around the internet comes packaged in .deb files or in PPAs. Is much of that covered in the AUR nowadays? Is just downloading dpkg a viable option, or will that FUBAR my machine?

Yeah its GRUB
Im gonna go with "Yes" for the full bloat experience untill i make it uefi boot
Thanks for the info fren

Attached: 1A77B3D8-288E-4074-83CF-0CBA9F5DAF78.png (1920x1080, 6K)

I use arch because of the AUR, fucking everything is in the AUR.
But manjaro is trash

lol

>but I want to query into Manjaro KDE

Attached: lmao.jpg (369x366, 24K)

This is a friendly thread.

What could be causing Ubuntu to consume significantly more battery power when sleeping compared to my Arch install?

What's the difference?
>poweroff
>systemctl -f poweroff

Zoomers stuff, use shutdown.

>turning off your computer
normalfags

Abandon-ware forks count as dying.

Maybe one needs root?
I'm too lazy to test.

Try logging off and on again first. The icon theme you are using might have light and dark variants, try those too.

so i thought i was fine with DWM till i was playing a game full screen and a yongyea video- autoplayed on youtube i had to swap TTY open htop kill the skyrim process and finally swap back and change to a video made by a not shit creator so i think ill change to openbox since that actually has support for alt tabbing i cant even i0magine the damage this has done to my algorithm control i very carefully train to not send to to SHIT creators
would be great if youtube allowed you to fully block specific channels from ever being autoplayed for you

And now with proper punctuation.

fuck off i will never use it there is no good reason to its only a waste of time and you cant prove otherwise life should be easy and laid back and never require any amount of focus

dubs
not dubs

Would my system get fucked if i installed different WM/DE at the same time?
i was running antergos and i had KDE/xfce/deepin/i3/sway/bspwm/spectwm and other shit installed and some gtk themes got fucked and i had a shitton ton of bloat

so i installed arch linux and i have xfce + bspwm installed but i want to DE hop i really don't want to bloat/error my system but idk what to do

dont give a shit not going to make me use punctuation without a damn good reason