I hate all of you amd/intel shills. Use power9 you cucks

I hate all of you amd/intel shills. Use power9 you cucks

Attached: boardsmall.png (507x381, 189K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=raptor-blackbird-initial&num=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have a Talos II but I still use a AMD64 based computer for interactive video entertainment.
Tool for the job I guess and all that, I can't change the world just have to live in it.

no

i gladly would if it didn't cost $4k for base system

Make power 9 for laptop first

I'm too poor, sorry. Not everyone is rich like you, Mrs. Moneybags

ME_Cleaner is good enough, also inb4
>windows

Attached: ME_Cleaner.png (872x641, 47K)

>windows
just kys

Sell me on it. How much would it cost to get a desktop, what operating systems run on it, what kind of hardware support is there?

~$1600 to get a quad-core Blackbird build running

Now THAT is what I call JEWISHRY.

Economies of scale, user. This is a small low production machine, it's going to cost more per unit than an equivalent x86 machine cranked out by manufactures pushing millions of units per year.

Its got the same amount of threads as a ryzen 2700, since each core handles 4 threads. With the blackbird you can upgrade to the 8 core processor, so a total of 32 threads.

too expensive

Thanks, Raptor shills.

Attached: ping pong club.jpg (640x480, 52K)

>~$1600 to get a quad-core Blackbird build running
>build
you mean CPU+cooler+mobo+shipping.

I doubt shipping is $320

>tfw no raptor's nest tower

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Mmh. Yeah. Bro I'll be waiting for amd to release the first ever pcie4 processors/mobos. If it ain't pcie4 or have support for 22-core processors it ain't worth it bro. Oh yeah I also need ddr4 so your ancient g5 clone won't work for my usecase bro.

This supports literally everything you listed

Nah bro powerpc is ancient bro. IBM doesn't give a shit about it bro. Like why do you think that openpower exists bro. Like powerpc does not even have l3 cache or 12-stage pipeline bro. Not that it would even benefit from those too much because it lacks any form of SMT technology bro.

If it's around when I graduate I will buy a raptor.

This is Power 9, not PowerPC, breh.

What's the point of removing the ME if you're gonna run literal spyware anyway?

You are sorely misinformed

power9 has QUAD smt , pcie gen 4, ddr4 ect.

I preordered a Blackbird but it hasn't shipped yet. I plan to use it for programming and keep using my old Windows machine for games and proprietary software.

are you doing this just to get (You)s
because POWER9 isn't PowerPC

>12-stage pipeline bro
power9 very literally does

The blackbird is like $1200 for the motherboard and a 4-core CPU.
It's the cheapest non-x86 that actually runs at modern performance standards for desktops, and as a bonus there isn't any botnet bullshit baked in.

Blackbirds are shipping now
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=raptor-blackbird-initial&num=1

How are the Talos systems? I was considering getting one if the 4 core models for daily desktop use using Linux. Is a mainstream OS like Ubuntu supported?

IBM has been working strongly with itself (Redhat) since 'bout 2015 to make Fedora and RHEL work on POWER9.
So yes, you should be able to get Fedora working as expected.

Not OP but I have a Talos and use it as my daily desktop system (among other things) using Debian. All modern AMD GPUs supported with 3d acceleration - older ones may or may not work.

Attached: Screenshot_20190528_191032.png (862x714, 323K)

>paying several thousand dollars more for less just because it placates some jaded archtoddler's software social justice fantasy
No thanks.

No, at the moment it only supports TempleOS

>all modern AMD GPUs supported
That's a surprise, considering all of IBM's GPU clusters run Nvidia.

There's ppc64le nVidia drivers for compute - I don't think they work on normal graphics cards

Congratulations, you're an unprincipled sheep of a man with no strong convictions, and constantly frets about the amount of money a salaried man could make in less than a month.
Do you want a medal or a grave?

That's a lot of projection, I would just rather put that money towards a computer that puts more emphasis on function than form.

The Blackbird with CPU is $1200 my man - sure it's still more expensive than an equivalent x86 but you get a pretty good blobless system for the premium

>projection
You use excessively abrasive words against people just because they prioritize things that you wouldn't.
It's not projection if I'm calling it as I see it.

>more emphasis on function than form
That makes no logical sense, because function is at the core of using an open-source POWER9 machine without binary blobs, and form is not even a consideration.
Differences in philosophy is not differences in form.

I completely forgot IBM was a thing. How better is that than current gen Epycs and Zions

Bought a Tyan power8 server on auction for 300 usd, way better deal than the Raptor stuff.

A seal of FSF approval on my case is meaningless to my work and not worth a less useful system.
>You use excessively abrasive words against people just because they prioritize things that you wouldn't.
A hypocrite, too! I'm sorry, but I prioritize a computer that best serves its purpose as a trivial tool for enhancing meaningful work over a computer that is politically fashionable.
>That makes no logical sense, because function is at the core of using an open-source POWER9 machine without binary blobs
Oh, sweet child, for all of the big words you're trying to use you can't even grasp the idea that form ascends beyond the physical. Just read your own posts! You're not talking about what this machine can do, merely the stickers and badges it wears. You and your employers do not talk about what POWER9 does better, marketing this device to us as a tool to make our work better, you talk about licensing terms and "freedom" as defined by a political cult, marketing it is a lifestyle accessory for those who want to appear security and ethically conscious.

You can keep trying to posture yourself as "principled" and "salaried," but you're just another sheep praying to a different master those of us who use our computers more than talk about them don't really care for.

>wall of text
Didn't even read.

That's a lot of words and anger to say that you basically don't care how far the government reaches up your ass, probably because you don't expect to amount to anything. You'll never be Huawei.

DELET THIS

>didnt read lol owned u mad
I rest my case. Happy bleating, sheep!

Attached: 1445162691857.gif (389x259, 992K)

There is almost no differentiation between all of the major CPU vendors. You could use AMD, IBM, or Intel for all of your compute workloads and you wouldn't notice a difference.
The only disadvantage of using IBM is that its userland isn't as large as x86. Ironically, the open source community has filled in the gap.
We might be able to say that it is only because of open source that IBM was able to adopt Linux.

>being this invested in a thread about a product you don't care about
Don't you have an AMD to shill in?

>don't call me out in my marketing thread!
Raptor shills really are fun to mess with. Stop trying so hard to look like you actually are from here.

Attached: 1542522737899.gif (400x225, 1.96M)

To be specific, HPC and ML workloads are I/O bound. You might be able to eke out some minor gains using Nvidia's NVLink with Power9, but you're mostly just waiting on huge amounts of data to funnel in from some external filestore.

As for workstation workloads, it really really doesn't matter because everything's already on the one machine. Significant gains for specific workloads can only really be achieved by dedicated hardware, such as neuromorphic or in-memory computations for ML.

Attached: 1501986476967.gif (506x283, 3.43M)

this

I have to mod my BIOS to use NVMe booting anyway. Also, this is booting off of an old SSD--the OS may not be the same after the NVMe adapter comes from AliExpress

you wouldn't have to mod your BIOS if you used a POWER9 board from Raptor Computing Systems®, it supports it out of the box!

Attached: 2hu_akari.jpg (640x480, 223K)

Hi Drake

>what can the machine do
It's a fast, non-x86 machine with a bunch of high end ports and hardware in it.
It's some of the fastest non-x86 desktop hardware you can get for the cost, period.
It's not x86, so it presents a different, uncommon, and possibly even actually more secure surface against attack (I'm only saying possibly simply because POWER hasn't had nearly as much time, effort, or money directed in finding its flaws as x86 has).

The tl;dr is that it's designed to be a secure, high-performance, non-x86 computer.

>You can keep trying to posture yourself as "principled" and "salaried," but you're just another sheep praying to a different master those of us who use our computers more than talk about them don't really care for.
Get that pseudointellectual garbage out of here.

>wall of text
>didn't even read
Resuming: no arguments.

Attached: 1502078029696.png (499x338, 38K)

So, basically, it's just like any other high-end machine, but capable of running only a subset of the same software with no actual benefit other than... security through obscurity. Yep. Sounds right.

>everyone that likes something I don't is a shill
What a retard

>people who obsess over advertisements and marketing hype while trying to push the product on everyone they think will listen are not shills
What a retard

>people who do exactly what advertising is designed to do to people are actually the advertisers
Sounds like a pretty pointless industry if that's how it works

>it's okay, we're just sheep to the marketing!
Nu-arch shitters in a nutshell.
See

>>it's okay, we're just sheep to the marketing!
Anything but; I've been waiting for this since Apple switched to Intel.

for

OH NO I HAVE ENTERED A THREAD I DO NOT LIKE AND NOW I AM ANGRY

Attached: hideautism.png (918x733, 210K)

down syndrome much

>PPC Mactoddler
>I'm anything but a sheep
I'm definitely shitposting at this point but really you need to proofread your shit before you post it. Holy fuck.
I know, why can't you handle differing opinions from your own? The only people who are genuinely mad are the Raptor faggots that throw tantrums when people call them out for paying thousands of dollars for a slightly different screenfetch output. It's amusing as fuck.

Attached: 1446597811264.jpg (1920x1080, 1.02M)

>using a machine for the architecture from a certain brand means you're one of the company's braindead fanboys
I thought this was Jow Forums, not /b/

Fuck, man, that's good. It almost makes me forget that there are dumbshits ITT who actually believe that.

Attached: 1445074195950.jpg (640x427, 99K)