/hsg/ - Home Server General

Home server thread

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>A T T E N T I O N:
>The /hsg/ wiki is up!
hsg.shortlink.club/

Please expand it, also don't use your real name or any password when you register. Preferable use cock.li or something anonymous. Or just email the admin with the username and password you want.

>Links
server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org

Previous thread:

Attached: server.png (596x430, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gns3.com/
asrock.com/MB/Intel/J4105M/index.asp
github.com/jansmolders86/mediacenterjs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yo my uni got a great opportunity and they want someone, i talked to my prof and he said well he usually look for someone with some experience if hes a first year, so whats the bare minimum or something cool i can do related to networks? I have no equipment and not exactly a lot of money, and oh i havent had a networking class yet, is it over or can i still do something? The application process should be around october.
Oh its related to servers but im not exactly sure what it is

>2 weeks until electrician can come and install outlets to racks

Attached: 1547352687559.jpg (550x412, 113K)

Buy a 100$ cisco lab or start playing around with or alternatively fuck around with gns3 if you have a computer powerfull enough to virtualise everything.

Otherwise you can also grab cisco's meemy network tool( packet tracer) that allows you make a mock network.

gns3.com/

I live in an apartment complex currently and discovered I have a double NAT situation, which prevents me from doing much with my NAS remotely. Is there any solution other than asking for a static IP that anyone can offer to suggest? I feel I haven't done enough messing around with network settings on my personal router to eliminate all possibilities.

Get real internet.

Host a VPN on some VPS

Dynamic DNS

>CGNAT
>Dynamic DNS
retard

VPN/VPS is your only easy option.

Anything else involves doing some highly grey are penetration testing.

SoftEther if you can't set up a VPS

>given an Iomega IX4-200d
>buy four 4TB hdds
>put it together starry eyed over a 12TB raid 5 array
>nothing happens
>literally has enough ROM for a bootloader
>keeps the OS on the fucking hard drives
>dig forever on the internet
>have to flash the OS to the hard drives via USB
>find the OS tucked in a corner of Lenovo's web site
>can't open the TGZ file
>md5 matches
>check it using $ file
>10 Lenovo uploaded an encrypted version of the firmware
>20 can't be flashed except through the web interface
>30 interface requires the OS to be up and running
>40 OS requires the firmware to the be installed
>GOTO 10
Fuck. Just, fuck.

Attached: fuck 1512899877791.png (665x534, 107K)

Asking this again here since it's more appropriate-
Parent has a Synology NAS at their house I've been using remotely. I want to try building my own local backup from a spare i5 box.
Considering I haven't built a server before and I have no knowledge of linux, but would it be better to just use Xpenology for parity, FreeNAS, or is linux worth it?

Attached: and youre done.jpg (432x439, 34K)

The read for making a raid array in Linux is long but not necessarily hard, but this is coming from a very long time linux user. A ready made NAS solution like FreeNAS is probably a better option, and there are dozens out there like it all free and open source.

kek the imoegas are gay as fuck like that. i had to jtag mine

jtag? Please elaborate. I'm very close to buying the cheapest 4 bay qnap I can get and shooting this son of a bitch to rid the world of its faggotry.

>Want to build a Ceph cluster for home use
>Don't want shit tons of noise and heat
>Can't find any low-power 64-bit (x86) single board PCs with dual gigabit and SATA ports.
Why live?

I bought two QNAPs a couple years ago and they were absolute dog shit. One bricked itself after a few months and the other chewed through hard disks like a fat kid does cakes.

It sounds like I should just buy a complete PC and turn it into a NAS instead. I really like the tiny box option but this shit is simply not worth the trouble.

Yeah. The consumer-grade home NAS boxes tend to be garbage. At least with a PC you're dealing with commodity parts if something breaks.

Synology works pretty well actually
I have zero complaints with mine

FreeNas. There's really no reason to hassle if it does everything you seem to want.

Look for some old dell or other shitstations on ebay/craigslist. No need to buy some current stuff for that unless you really want some explicit low power usage built.

Attached: 1538948854391.jpg (1280x960, 190K)

What do you dumbasses do about having a shit upload rate on your cable internet? I've been keeping an OVH dedicated server for over a year because my home 5mb/s up just doesn't cut it.

If you want something that just werks get a synology nas with an intel core it can pretty much do everything price is your only downside.

Otherwise you can pretty much get a cheap i3 machine and then install xpenology and buy a cheap synology box so you can get access to their synology resources.

is there a solution for livestreaming files/movies over https and having everyones view synced up? Ive looked around and havent found a solid program.

while probably not exactly what your after - there is some modern itx boards with low power celerons

asrock.com/MB/Intel/J4105M/index.asp

only 2 sata and 1 ethernet on board, how ever the slots would let you add a second gigabit and a drive controller.

I had a similar setup with an older j1900 board that did good work.

Got a poweredge 1800 today for the unbeatable price of free, along with a bunch of old ddr and ddr2 ram, sata cables, dell drive sleds, more ribbon cables than I can count, and a pretty sweet pci slot fan controller. What the hell can I do with this thing? It has a 3.4ghz Irwindale Xeon, and the case can be mounted sideways as a 5u rackmount, but modern hardware would give me 20x the performance for half the electricity. I need a NAS for my modest collection of movies and media, just for my house, but I was thinking of a couple 3tb wd reds in raid1 would suffice. This 1800 has a 6 bay hotswap SCSI setup, with one 73gb drive. Not exactly plug and play. I also do pay my own power bill, so I'd almost rather pilfer the guts of something modern and cheap and stick it in a nice compact 2u chassis with the wd reds. Or I could lift this 40 pound monstrosity into the rack and pump 200 watts through it at idle. I already have a minecraft server, and I thought about having my own dayz or rust server, but both of those games are made more fun by the paranoia of maybe getting ganked by strangers, so having my own little world I'm the god of would be less fun I'd think.

What would you do with a poweredge 1800 anons?

Attached: sfdg.png (599x577, 548K)

>Free
>Unbeatable
In many places you have to pay to get rid of electronics. You should have demanded $10 to take that thing off their hands.

My used computer parts store takes electronic waste for free, you can drop off just about anything computer related, and then you get to poke around the store. They had a few decent rackmount consoles there last time but I couldn't afford anything. Maybe I'll just have to stop by again soon. I need an 8 port dvi+usb kvm switch too, but don't want to dump hundreds of dollars into it.

Haahaa that funny

check out this sweet 30 watt 120mm fan from the 1800, I could pop a breaker with 10 of them

Attached: 20190529_014607.jpg (1600x900, 669K)

burger bump

>Want to build a Ceph cluster for home use
I'll caution Ceph was an unstable piece of software so far, and you'll probably find 200 different issues a month on the mailing list and bug tracker.

Yes, there's nothing better than it that I'm aware of, but you may not get as much as you'd hope from running Ceph at home other than complicated maintenance.

> Don't want shit tons of noise and heat
Depending on your actual drive count, it's not that bad.

> Can't find any low-power 64-bit (x86)
Not needed if you want this, obviously just use ARM.

>30 watt fan

Attached: monkaW.png (128x128, 14K)

That bums me out. Thanks for the reality check though, user. I've long suspected Ceph is overkill for home use but the geeky itch demanded I play with it. Feh. Maybe I'll just mess around with it in virtual machines or something.

>> Can't find any low-power 64-bit (x86)
>Not needed if you want this, obviously just use ARM.
I thought Ceph didn't support ARM. Otherwise yeah, ARM would have been my first choice.

I'm planning on setting up my first home server using a somewhat dated PC i have.
I'm planning on toying with services that catch my eyes for the time being, but what's the recommended approach?
My plan is to set it up in the living room to act both as a server and a sort of media center.
Should i make the base OS a hypervisor and (assuming it can be done) access one of the VMs from the host to both configure and use it, or should i install a VM software on top of an OS?
Hell, should i use VMs for this at all? I figure i should, but it'll be my first real server so maybe i need to try this out on one os forest?

Depends on the hardware specs. But maybe look into proxmox. Free, practically plug and play when it comes to networking, VM, and containers. Weak hardware will really benefit from containers. Ubuntu server vm for me is ~ 500mb ram base. Ubuntu in container is ~30mb base.

Sound advice, don't need anything too complex so I'll take a stab at FreeNAS. Cheers!

>300W
>pop a breaker
Maybe one from WW2.

>finally looking into how to set up a pihole+unbound
>looks great, but I want redundancy, I should get a second pi as another dns
>that's great and all but I should up the internal security too, now I want to setup a guest SSID with the main one hidden
>Oh right, and I've been meaning to replace the shit router with pfsense
>Yeah but how about centralizing everything in a single rack and get proper AP's around the house?
>I forgot, the IPTV's are as fuckery as they can be, I need a switch that can handle igmp managing
Once I started diving in there's no end on sight, is it?

Attached: bf6.jpg (456x628, 22K)

> I've long suspected Ceph is overkill for home use but the geeky itch demanded I play with it
It's a complex piece of software with the often somewhat bad CLI. Both clearly making things a lot worse than they needed to be to have the features provided.

The *real* problem still is just the bugginess/instability. I'm sure you could learn to deal with it being a larger piece of software, but ceph-users and the bug tracker will show you that so many -even experienced- users hit about every problem that you would imagine a (shitty) database or filesystem might have. Lots of spontaneous failures, OOM, performance issues, weird bugs, [...] very few fixes possible when they happen.

If you want an alternative suggestion that seemed more stable to me, try Moose-/LizardFS. Less features, but it mostly justwerks as far as I can tell.

>Maybe I'll just mess around with it in virtual machines or something.
That's a good idea. You could also do Rook.io or whatever to deploy it.

But for actual production use? Eh, fall back to other solutions. LizardFS/MooseFS were far more stable for me, though they're less flexible. And on a single machine, maybe you can just live with mdadm or snapraid or zfs RAIDz or something, or bcachefs when it's ready.

> I thought Ceph didn't support ARM.
As you already saw, it does.

>Once I started diving in there's no end on sight, is it?
Maybe. But if you're not doing it all on something as crappy as a RPi, you can add these functions to not TOO many machines and optionally use tooling like docker-compose/swarm, k8s+helm or such that can also make it considerably faster to deploy "something".

I think I'd just deploy a Linux normally, then run containers, VMs or just software from the package manager on it as-needed.

>LizardFS/MooseFS were far more stable for me, though they're less flexible.
I hadn't heard of these. Thanks again for the pointer. I sincerely doubt I need the full feature set of Ceph anyway. I really just want a way to glom a few servers and their attached disks together into one "filesystem" with some redundancy so it can withstand a few disks dying. I'll check out LizardFS to see how it works.

Why is openstack godtier

Getting a real IP would be the proper, easy and compatible solution. If that's not an option, I suppose you could rent a VPS, host a VPN server there, have your NAS keep a permanent connection to that VPN server and then forward ports from the NAS's VPN-side IP over to the internet, through your VPS. I've never done that but I think it should work.

External traffic will go through the VPS, then through the VPN to your NAS at home (and get back out in the other direction). Of course, this will likely offer worse network performance than a regular connection straight to the NAS would, especially in terms of latency.

It isn't, it's a bit bloated and inelegant and not pretty in many components in many ways. And it is hardly universally used by everyone.

But it is a good idea, of course we do need a bunch of self-hostable "Amazon-like" stacks.

Anyone self hosting their RSS reader? Fever is abandoned and I'm trying to decide between TT RSS and Fresh RSS for the switch.

>30 watt fan
What the fuck

Cool, I made a vacuum cleaner out of server fans yesterday.

Attached: it's a server fan vacuum cleaner.jpg (2000x1533, 565K)

thanks for all the info, my 2014 gaming station is soon to make me step into the realm of home servers

I wish you all strong uptimes

Heh. Won't the dirt get stuck in the fans?

No, because I cut off a vacuum cleaner and stuck it to the front of them.

Attached: you don't understand it's an actual vacuum cleaner.jpg (2000x1333, 583K)

how fucked am i if i have ZFS on FreeNAS without using ECC

will the NAS rape my data when the cosmic glowniggers flip a bit on one of my RAM sticks

apparently DDR4 RAM has a single-bit error rate of 1 error per 16-28 hours per gigabit

> also full disk enc in chained block cipher mode so if a single bit is flipped the entire disk is gone

Attached: e20.png (400x400, 6K)

Oh, the other end is the suction end. That's still a shitload of fans, are the last ones even pulling more air?

Probably nothing will happen.

> also full disk enc in chained block cipher mode so if a single bit is flipped the entire disk is gone
That's also not supposed to be how it works, unless the bit is flipped in the key (or the "software" running that cipher, but you can fix that).

No, it's way past the point of diminishing returns, lol. You probably achieve maximum vacuum at 3 or 4 stacked ones, the rest are just sitting there spinning at maximum RPM in a near vacuum and getting warm.

The pressure you get if you block the exhaust is impressive, though, you can literally use it to make fart noises through your fingers.

Attached: 43 cm fan.jpg (2000x1333, 401K)

that is how it works though, see pic related

sector encryption uses the previous sector's ciphertext as a mask on the plaintext. most modern cipher modes do similar things

meaning if a bit is flipped while the OS is copying a sector to another disk or moving shit around, it will cause the next sector to be undecryptable, which cascades onto the rest of the disk if the disk manager tries to "fix" the resulting plaintext

Attached: XTS_mode_encryption.svg.png (1682x806, 45K)

>meaning if a bit is flipped while the OS is copying a sector to another disk or moving shit around, it will cause the next sector to be undecryptable
Pretty sure this isn't true, though I'm certainly not the right person to provide a detailed explanation why.

The only thing I can show is empirical: You can access some data without decrypting the whole disk leading up to it, right?

yeah I did my math wrong, forgot about the inverse x10 on amperage from 12v-120v, so a hundred of them would pop a breaker.

you're right, i just refreshed myself on the math, XTS at least uses index offset keys and shit and only uses ciphertext stealing when the blocks don't fit neatly into the sectors

still i guess a flipped bit in the key material or in the control flow of the encryption algo can fuck shit up much more than on an unencrypted disk

Can someone give a starting place for me to learn how to properly configure my server to be accessiable outside of home. I'm planning on using ampache for a spotify alternative and it works great while I'm at home, but not outside.
I've gone and done some port forwarding and gotten a domain but it always errors out when I try to connect.
Also any alternatives to ssh. I can't do it past a firewall to reach my server.

Attached: 502_bad_gateway.jpg (509x435, 37K)

I installed NodeJS because I want to build an anime-watching frontend that indexes my torrented files and provides a nice interface for them with metadata, graphics and everything.

Thing is, how do I get my pages to actually look nice? They look like dogshit and I don't have the time or interest to learn CSS and fix them. Anyone know of a good resource for nice-looking webpages?

>I want to build an anime-watching frontend that indexes my torrented files and provides a nice interface for them with metadata, graphics and everything.
Are you writing it because you want to make it yourself, or do you just want to fulfill that goal? Because software already exists which can do that, at most you'll need to write a couple of scripts to glue some bits together, but I'm pretty sure solutions which won't require even that much exist.

I think the exactly wrong bit flipping in RAM during operation may lead to a lot of data being written as if it were encrypted with a different key that you don't have, and I'm not sure how many sanity checks there are (if any) to catch that problem in actual implementations.

There are many approaches.

Maybe you want something like a ssh or wireguard or vpn tunnel into your network, and one or more [dyn-]dns to associate that typical possibly changing home IP address with a domain name that always stays the same and gets updated whenever the IP changes?

For multiple of these approaches, it's possibly easier to do most of the required configuration on a pfsense/OpenWRT router gateway than anywhere else [although you can also do things with servers behind the gateway to the internetz].

>Are you writing it because you want to make it yourself
Yes

>software already exists which can do that
If it does, I haven't found any. I don't want that plex-tier shit either. I just want to make a simple indexing front-end for anime media files, that leverages metadata from MAL/Anilist. Challenge right now is finding good page templates.

based on most of the crypto code i've seen, once stuff is in the "write" buffer it's pretty fire and forget. as long as N out of N bytes are written and the write call doesn't fail, the code doesn't give a fuck and moves on.

majority of crypto code assumes the hardware/RAM is working as intended

>If it does, I haven't found any
Jellyfin/Emby/Plex do that as a centralized server sort of deal, accessible through a web interface and a bunch of other means. Kodi will also pull metadata and make a pretty library for you. Kodi is more HTPC-oriented though, you can access it remotely to some degree I believe, but its primary purpose is to be HTPC software, basically.

If you want to make it yourself go right ahead, just be aware that you're likely going to put way more work and time into rolling your own than using existing software.

>Jellyfin/Emby/Plex do that as a centralized server sort of deal
Nice reading-comprehension user.

I read that you don't want Plex, which is why I also suggested Kodi, but it seems like you were unable to make it that far into the post. Better luck next time, user.

Yea. Well, I guess it usually does.

It'd probably be an exactly equal problem if your drives had such a weird bug in exactly the wrong location, it might also fuck up writing everything.

Figures we're just not gonna worry about this.

>He thinks Kodi is more light-weight than Plex.

>just be aware that you're likely going to put way more work and time into rolling your own than using existing software.
Probably the most simple web project next to moe-fileshare. The fact that you think your shitty examples is even comparable to what I described is retarded.

I've got a few servers that have 6x 42W fans.

> I installed NodeJS because I want to build an anime-watching frontend that indexes my torrented files and provides a nice interface for them with metadata, graphics and everything.
Sounds problematic. But have fun with that.

> how do I get my pages to actually look nice?
If you can't even do this and have no "time" to learn this very simple thing, you're not gonna succeed with the far bigger data extraction/querying/presentation project you have in mind.

>doesn't know
Fag

>He thinks Kodi is more light-weight than Plex.
It's definitely more light-weight than NodeJS + the presumably modern web browser you'll use to access whatever you make for yourself, yes indeed. Kodi does its job quite well on a pretty wide variety of slow SBCs and old hardware. Some skins are heavy and slow ("slow" as in my 10 year old C2D laptop still runs everything flawlessly, but a RasPi 1 might struggle), but nobody forces you to use those anyway.

>The fact that you think your shitty examples is even comparable to what I described is retarded.
Developing anything is much more work than installing a pre-existing software package and then clicking at it a couple of times to point it to your anime folder.

>It's definitely more light-weight than NodeJS
I want it to be on the web, not some local-machine application. I don't see how Kodi is even comparable.

>Developing anything is much more work than installing a pre-existing software package
No, I'd rather develop something new than bitch about web being "bloat" like Jow Forums's most spergtistic users.

you're never gonna finish it fampaitachidono, it's much more work than what you expect

Develop whatever you want. Using the existing solution is still much less work, unless you're going to bang out your own version within the 30 minutes it takes to setup an existing program. You're going to take a lot longer than 30 minutes though, because if your project were so trivial you would have already done it. These are just facts, feel free to develop whatever you want. You can develop something for fun, that's perfectly fine. It doesn't mean that it's a practical solution to an end-goal though.

Yeah, there's no working Jow Forums web project on the net right now...

None of the other solutions do what I want. I basically just want a Chruchyroll tier browser for anime. I don't understand how such a trivial project can seem so diffult or time-consuming for you.
I literally only asked for help regarding the appearance since I'm a programmer by trade and I've only done very limited web-design (and hated it).
I assumed there was some kind of way to do it more easily since a lot of web programmers probably aren't any better at design than I am.

Attached: 318271da980706f7a18a811c3456a77d.png (633x758, 16K)

nothing as complex as that, besides maybe tox, and that was a once in a millennium event, faggot

>I don't understand how such a trivial project can seem so diffult or time-consuming for you.
I'm honestly starting to think you're retarded, user. The solution to your problem exists and can be installed in 30 minutes. Half an hour. You are not going to write your ""trivial"" project in half an hour.

>I basically just want a Chruchyroll tier browser for anime
I don't use Crunchyroll, so I don't know what it's like. If you want to play anime from a server in a web browser, again, those solutions already exist.

>The solution to your problem exists and can be installed in 30 minutes. Half an hour. You are not going to write your ""trivial"" project in half an hour.
No it doesn't I want it to be light-weight in the web. You only showed the piece of shit known as Kodi, which is an app. And Plex-tier services that I don't want anything like them.

>You are not going to write your ""trivial"" project in half an hour.
Yeah, investing a few more hours and making something good while gaining experience is so bad, retard NEET.

>If you want to play anime from a server in a web browser, again, those solutions already exist.
I just want to tag, index, and browse my collection.

here you go you fat, dumb faggot:

github.com/jansmolders86/mediacenterjs

>here you go you fat, dumb faggot
Not that user, but this made me laugh so much harder than it should have after that crazy exchange.

That doesn't really handle anime or anime-metadata at all and generally isn't even what I want to do, but thanks anyway I guess.
Now, does anybody know any resources for creating stylish HTML/CSS templates?

Of course I do know - as do you actually. Learn CSS.

I know CSS, I've done it in-browser with no additional tools and it was awful.
I doubt anybody but the most stubborn "le meme-ilist" suckless reddtard does CSS with just their browser and nothing else.

> I've done it in-browser with no additional tools
No, you do it in your text editor or IDE.

> and it was awful
It's fonts, colors, sizes, areas... all the sort of thing you can easily reason about and prototype by changing a bunch of numbers in a CSS style sheet.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, make a video about this contraption.

>text editor
Don't listen to this retard. You aren't going to find HTML tags from your text-editor if your notion of a text-editor is Vim or Emacs

>IDE
That's what he asked for in the first place.
I like RJ TextEd, but Atom (even if non-programing meme-spouting bugmen makes fun of it) is actually good at webdev.

> Don't listen to this retard.
Don't listen to this retard. Most of the big websites were done in typical text editors and IDE.

> You aren't going to find HTML tags from your text-editor if your notion of a text-editor is Vim or Emacs
What are you even on about? Yes, you can edit HTML/JS and so on in these too, and it's often exactly what is don.

> That's what he asked for in the first place.
He didn't, and I get the impression he believes this is done with some meme visual editor rather than a text editor or IDE and mostly in text form. That's not usually the case, it's usually really just an editor or IDE with some basic checks and highlighting and completion and stuff, not a meem GUI.

>I get the impression he believes this is done with some meme visual editor rather than a text editor or IDE and mostly in text form
>programmer
>visual
Presumptuous sperg

I just made this silly infographic for another thread, but it took so long that the thread died, so you get to have it instead, since it's quite server related.

Attached: cadpig-explains-ups-battery.png (1812x4186, 1.09M)

How many of you know much about a pi being used to host a site that acts as a reverse proxy to another machine hosting NAS and media shit like Jellyfin? Proxying to shit like that is becoming a challenge (needing subdomains like jellyfin.xxxxx.com), just curious to know if anyone's done it and what they did to secure it/lay it out/configure it.