Is python good for game development

is python good for game development

Attached: opengraph-icon-200x200.png (200x200, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If your game is failure then yes.

If you are 10 years old and want to make cutesy baby games, yes

no

no

I'd assume you'd need a compiled language for anything that isn't like a browser game to not suck

No, it's too slow. You'd be better off using Java than Python.

Meh
what are you making with it?

Java faster then python XD

Java on Openjdk is unironically something like 50x faster than CPython.

> game development
>using anything other than c++

Not for anything bigger than a simple 2d sidescrolling platformer without fancy visuals or a Visual Novel. Anything that takes more resources than that will need a compiled language.

For your first game? Yes it's good enough.
Make a shit game. I'm not lying, make something bad, but works. You'll learn a zillion things.

The fact that people use python at all shows you that we fucked up when deciding to introduce it to our education systems. C or C++ should be the beginning programming language.

I disagree. The problem is that we let python get out of the classroom. It's pretty good for teaching basic programming concepts to students before having them move to a language more suited for production.
I run programming courses, and I've had more success teaching python first and then C++ than teaching only C++.

Just go with Unity3D or Unreal and you just might finish your game and if you're lucky someone might even play your game.

After that you may play around with whatever.

>using anything other than assembler and "C".
There fixed it for you. Now fucking kill yourself brainlet.

Attached: chinkbased.jpg (407x405, 37K)

Python was tolerable in the '90s when it came out as a babby's first language for non-programmers but it's completely unsuitable for the modern era. Clunky multiprocessing module requiring slow message passing and serializing objects to take advantage of current multi core machines, arthitrically slow interpreted language when Moore's law is at an end, dynamic typing when current best practices show the need for static typing. And so on. Python is a joke, teaches bad habits and should be relegated to the dustbin of history. Substitute Go if you want a good beginner language or TypeScript

You can use PYgame, but I think you're better off using some kind of Javasript/html5. If you're making something in PYgame it's probably pretty small scope, so you're better off making it with something that can natively run in the browser

GDscript in Godot is python-like

Attached: 1550459218604.webm (700x392, 556K)

I'm doing a course on data science, python just fucking sucks

formatting as syntax
no code conventions
capitalized booleans
'pythonic' way of writing things is retarded and unreadable
cumbersome error messages
not strongly typed but extremely picky about data types
lots of deprecation warnings due to shitty versioning

python is a mess, only students and sysadmins like this shit

Javascript is unironically faster and better for it. Or just use unity or unreal

>this whole thread
If you aren't making a 3D game, go right ahead.
There are better, faster choices, but Python is easy if you just want to get started.

Yes. Apart from JVM startup, absolutely yes. CPython is fuck slow, while some of Java's worst benchmarks are only something like 2x slower than C.
Garbage collection isn't ideal though, and may introduce unpredictable stutter.

>no code conventions
>'pythonic' way of writing things is retarded and unreadable

>python doesn't have code conventions
>but I'm complaining about its code conventions
that being said, a lot of "pythonic" python is ass and I deliberately avoid doing that shit, it's really unreadable

>arthitrically slow interpreted language when Moore's law is at an end
If the language is your bottleneck, just use pypy. Literally like 10x faster on pure-Python workloads.

>If you are 10 years old and want to make cutesy baby games, yes
>I can't code so im just going to shitpost instead
Jow Forumsenius

>Javasript/html5
anybody not retarded would use a proper game engine.

Eve Online is written in Python

Attached: lN2RS.jpg (1680x1050, 387K)

we have renpy
it easy

>He needs an entire engine for these small scope browser based games

>If the language is your bottleneck, just use pypy. Literally like 10x faster on pure-Python workloads.
Yes, PyPy and cool hacks like Nuitka (compiles Python to C) can speed up Python code significantly but nowhere near even lowly JavaScript let alone truly fast languages like Golang, Java, or C. Python is fundamentally flawed and no matter how how many attempts are made (unladen swallow anyone?) it will always be slow single threaded and the GIL will always be there hampering multithreading.

The question is far too broad, so of course there will be garbage non-specific answers. Its not an incorrect answer though, very simple but very pretty games can be quickly written with pygame.

I started with Scheme and then C, pretty doable desu

Eve uses some Python on the backend but the engine is most certainly not written in Python

nah man.
at the least a language with proper formatting. relying on whitespace in python is horrible the bigger and more complex your application is.
best thing overall is just using an engine like Unity where most of the work is done for you

Game runtime: no
Offline pipeline tools: yes

stackless python, or just plain green threads; await/async
It gets the job done, like shaving your chest with a lawnmower.

pd.get_items()
np.isnan()
def MyClassName():
def other_class():

also, 'pythonic' is syntax, not code convention

Proof that Jow Forumstards have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to programming. Have any of you children ever heard of an FFI? You do know that most of Pygame is written in C right?

OP look into Panda3D and RenderPipeline if you want to do game development in Python. Or just skip all that shit and use Unity, you get a lot of nice tools like Animator, Shader Graph etc... and C# is more enjoyable to write than Python IMO.

Unironically pick up Go and Rust.

we have renpy
it easy

Attached: WARDROBE02.jpg (1032x667, 209K)

Learn urho3d and angelscript if you want babby tier game dev

Woow
import videogame as vg

if __name__ == "__main__":
vg.play()

If your game isn't too graphically intensive then sure.

People make games in fucking java
Your art assets and ideas are far more important than performance when it comes to vidya

>urho3d
HAVE IT BUTTON INTERFACE FRAMEWORCK, LIKE renpy HAS?
COSE BUTTON INTERFACE FRAMEWORCK IS ONLY I USE IN renpy

Attached: WARDROBE03.jpg (1285x825, 350K)

It had a good ui system, built in

Depends on what kind of game, and for what kind of market if you plan on selling it.
For example, DF has asciii characters for graphics.

Attached: aurora4x.jpg (1332x720, 351K)

>arthitrically slow interpreted language
>dynamic typing
>Python is a joke, teaches bad habits
>substitute TypeScript
Did you have a stroke?

Java is much faster than Python.

Everything is faster than python

Rollercoaster Tycoon was coded in Assembly. ASSEMBLY.

They hda to rewrite minecraft from java to c++ because it was too slow.

Minecraft has shit for graphics

Nuitka is still pretty slow next to PyPy.
Also, JavaScript has had a hell of a lot of money poured into it to make it fast -- until Google made V8, it was famously slow garbage.

python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
PEP 8 has been around for nearly 20 years. If people don't follow that, it's on them.

Yeah, FFI, that's why so many AAA games are written in Pygame. Jackass.

Well yeah, how many AAA games use SDL at all? My point was that Python performance isn't a good argument because obviously you don't use Python for your physics or graphics engine. Use the Python (or C# or whatever) bindings for libraries that have already solved that problem. You're not going to run into an instance where Python performance is the bottleneck for your game logic, unless you're a bad programmer. If that's the case, sure as shit don't use C++ because how can you be trusted to manage memory correctly.

Python is dog shit slow. It's slower than JavaScript on modern JS engines by a mile. Do NOT use Python for anything but quicky scripting shit.

Attached: disgust.jpg (600x448, 21K)

>no evidence that poster can’t code
>accuse poster of being unable to code anyway cuz muh strawman

I can code nigger, OP wants to program games in a language made for simps that is only capable of making games that are worse than Flash games in the early 2000s. Fuck yourself