Fuck tradition

ITT: we critique long established programs and design features that really ought to be different, but carry on because of momentum

Things like how X11 can't vsync so video is torn. How Powerpoint in the year 2019 can still fail to play most movie types. Or the very existence Javascript.

Attached: 1558011585464.png (1262x1130, 475K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Remote_Password_protocol
blog.cynosureprime.com/2015/09/how-we-cracked-millions-of-ashley.html
web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump

Wait so Linux doesn't have vsync at all?

You're not gonna get zoomers to bitch about software from before they were conceived.

Whats wrong with javascript

Directory-based file systems are shit. We should have had a purely tag-based one a decade ago.

this

Linux does. Xorg out of the box does not. You need a compositor. The average linux distro has vsync enabled out of the box.

ugh, go to hell.

Passwords should never be transmitted over the network or stored in remote databases. PAKE solved this problem in the early 90s.

Attached: hide.png (196x16, 1K)

- it has undefined and null
- it stringifies everything internally making it extremely slow, difficult to optimize, and fragile
- it has strange implicit conversion rules
- it has a strange standard library that is incomplete and poorly designed. For example, sorting, without binary search.
- it doesn't have integer type or integer operations
- it has a horrible developer community and ecosystem which actively encourage the worst development, security, and business practices.

How? It really sounds insecure when you think about password databases

Damn. This is very true.

But they're encrypted.

>Whats wrong with javascript
everything. it's an absolute bullshit language. I'm forced to program with it because: no alternative.
>Passwords should never be transmitted over the network or stored in remote databases
oh, we better shut down the entire fucking internet. nothing wrong with storing passwords in remote databases as long as they're hashes of the passwords and properly protected using something like bcrypt.

are there any tradeoffs? it seems if you really liked your folders you could emulate that easily. would algorithms work?

Why is Fortran still maintained?

Attached: Fortran_acs_cover.jpg (610x320, 32K)

There are many PAKE protocols but here's one example: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Remote_Password_protocol

The basic idea of a PAKE is that you have a cryptographic function that takes input from both the client and server, returning a key that is used to determine whether or not the authentication attempt is successful. Because the server only cares about the output of that cryptographic function, the client never needs to send a password even when creating an account. PAKE can also be used to enforce more robust security policy on the serverside since you can isolate your key exchanges per resource.

Because it has the advantage of being first to the scene with a compiler and tons of effort put into optimizing the fucking hell out of it, making it one of the best tools for scientific computing.

Attached: javascript.png (699x1048, 1.25M)

>relying only on bcrypt
blog.cynosureprime.com/2015/09/how-we-cracked-millions-of-ashley.html

> typeof NaN === 'number'
true

UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems are shit. Everyday, I feel the utter damage that Bell Labs caused.

>You need a compositor.
Not all systems need a compositor. Some drivers have working built-in VSync and others have options like TearFree. Some systems get tear-free video simply by using the DRI3 subsystem.

If you use proprietary drivers you are probably out of luck tho...

t. someone who doesn't use a compositor

then someone adds nested tagging and we are back to directories again, except with no standardization

> 12 iterations
> Through the two insecure methods of $logkinkey generation observed in two different functions, we were able to gain enormous speed boosts in cracking the bcrypt hashed passwords
> relying on garbage security practises to run a commercial website
fuck off, moron.

cose Algol was mistake

dear god, I think javascript doesn't just explode by pure convention

>global shortcuts like copy and paste use the same modifier key as program-specific shortcuts

It's a pain in the ass to get working consistently unless you use Wayland. Wayland doesn't screen tear by design.

>no alternative.
Dart

Why the FUCK is this enabled by default in Windows 10. Actually why does it exist at all. Literally no reason. Even computer illiterate retards can find file extensions useful

are the shear number of unix shell tools really necessary? there seems to be a lot of redundancy, and a few weird ones that really should be left out now (like basic calculator bc)

0x74 is a jump instruction, what did OP mean by this.

Obviously he meant that you need to jump off a bridge, tranny

brainlet

tanny's done know assembly faggot.

It is enabled by default since windows 95

this

Thanks for this. Sounds really interesting.

The password will appear on the server as plaintext during every authentication. There are so many microarchitecture level memory vulnerabilities out right now, and in the age of virtual machines, a password authentication protocol that doesn't make the password appear in plaintext, even as the server is using it for authentication, is really useful.

UNIX
web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf

Attached: UNIX-HATERS_Handbook_cover_ISBN_1-56884-203-1.png (160x200, 21K)

to add to this, as far as I know, PAKE protocols do need some stored "knowledge" of the password. It can either be plaintext or more commonly, a hashed and salted version of the password.

What PAKE can offer is reasonable safety of the password after registration (the only time that the password is ever in plaintext in server primary memory). Every time you log-in, the password does not appear in plaintext at all on the network or in server memory. Only the client has it. That's the edge that PAKE provides.

New PAKE protocols like OPAQUE can even put most of the computation client side, reducing server load and achieving the same security guarantees.

SCRAM a best

>Because the server only cares about the output of that cryptographic function
Isn't that pretty much sending a password hash from the very beginning? Good idea anyway.

based

Out of my way, UNIX wheenie.

>turn on the vsync on any compositor ever
>hard
ok

In Excel, the default match for a VLOOKUP is still set to approximate instead of exact. And no one can do anything about it because changing it now would fuck up mission critical files at every single company and government in the world. It's the smallest thing I know, but every time I type that stupid ",0" at the end I wish someone would give me the name of the guy who made that decision.

I'm really not sure. I have never met someone born before the year 2000 that finds it useful. My grandmother, mother, father, and brother all hate it or just get confused by it, and none of them are computer hobbyists. My grandfather despises it almost as much as he despises communism, but he owned a design firm and invested in CAD in the '80s and got into computers as a hobby as a result (he introduced me and my brothers to Quake III and PC gaming when we were kids) so I don't include him. I'm sure zoomers aren't bothered by it but they're fucking faggots.

>web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf
>C++ Is to C as Lung Cancer Is to Lung
I was pretty uninterested in what they had to say until that. Incredibly based.

Lol meanwhile your Linoox doesn't even have file extensions. You can add .png or whatever to the end of the filename but it'll be as fake as my girlfriend's tits.

What?

Linux doesn't have file extensions, so doesn't it confuse you too. It's called bashrc not bashrc.txt.

Are you retarded or pretending?

I don't know who's more retarded, the one that thinks filename extensions are useless or the one that thinks Linux doesn't use them.

but file extensions are useless and linux software that prefers to use them over mime types or literally anything else are the bane of my existence

Are you actually retarded? It's confusing for an operating system that depends on file extensions to hide them from the user for no purpose, and can only confuse people. If Windows didn't need them, it'd still be retarded to hide part of the file name.

python shouldn't care about spaces or tabs.

Attached: 1550679560085.jpg (1000x1200, 159K)

>I'm really not sure. I have never met someone born before the year 2000 that finds it useful.
fuck off larper, I have a file.jpg.exe for you to double click open on windows xp if you like

>Lol meanwhile your Linoox doesn't even have file extensions.
>Linux doesn't have file extensions
yes it does
>It's called bashrc not bashrc.txt.
>You can add .png or whatever to the end of the filename but it'll be as fake as my girlfriend's tits.
on windows you can rename file.jpg to file.exe and paint.net will open it and allow you to edit no problem, on linux a program like pinta will refuse to open file.exe saying it's an executable file despite xdg-open correctly identifying it as a jpeg image trying to open it with pinta
file extensions are useless filename hints for the file manager/file picker, there's far better methods for detecting and dealing with file types

Linux should use PE and not ELF, or at the very least, have the capability to do so without a shitty translation layer. T. BeOS, OS/2 in its early days...

GNU/Linux package management is fragmented as shit and same with distros, it needs to be consolidated.

>GNU/Linux package management is fragmented as shit and same with distros, it needs to be consolidated.
just like redhat are consolidating desktop environments with gnome? no thanks

Attached: standards.png (500x283, 24K)

>fuck off larper, I have a file.jpg.exe for you to double click open on windows xp if you like
What the fuck are you talking about? Can you read? That's specifically why it's dumb and shouldn't even be an option. Jesus this board is fucking dumb.

It literally is for the retards

No one that is computer literate finds it remotely useful

What's wrong with using only apt or rpm? Standardisation and uniformity is what makes the proprietary alternatives so alluring, mindshare aside.

lost interest in trying to decipher your life story and incoherent rant about zoomers and boomers to realise you were against hiding extensions not showing them

because pacman is better

define tab (it better be 4 spaces)

because modern fortran is the king of concurrency, speed, and stability. in spite of what cniles will tell you fortran is still faster and more stable than c. the recent addition of builtin concurrency has made it godly.

VSync is fucking garbage for maintaining a snappy system.

Character 0x0009, with a size of 8 characters

Attached: 1558114134785.jpg (1200x1200, 290K)

Attached: 1559097708479.gif (382x369, 2.11M)

excuse me sir, i can't help but notice that you never suggested what you would ideally be using

redundancy? that's gnu

a tabstop lies on every eighth column (unless otherwise configured), a column being equal to the pitch of the '0' character in the respective font, because spaces in proportional fonts tend to be far smaller than is reasonable to use for tabstops

hope that helps

correct, but there's nothing wrong with having the option there

>Things like how X11 can't vsync so video is torn.
But it does you fucking retard. Either on the driver level or the compositor level, depending on your configuration. Even freesync works out of the box if you have recent enough amdgpu driver.
Can't you get even the basics of your retarded argument right?

Permissions are a nightmare, and you'll end up with a giant mess of tags because it doesn't scale past very simple cases.

no one uses x11 now

yeah for the purposes of actually being organized you'd end up emulating directories, and if you forget to tag a file as you are creating it then you'll have to sort every single file on your system by descending date of creation time in order to have any chance of finding it again

doesn't sound like a great idea. tags don't need to be done at the filesystem level.

That's what magic numbers are for. Users can call stuff whatever they want, but the magiv number defines the file type. 'man file' applies.

cool another standard that only a small fraction adheres to

Ummm, wrong. It's been part of linux for years, and users that know their ass from their elbow take advantage of it. Ask someone that develops for linux...

Any UNIX-like OS does this. GNU, Android, MacOS, BSD... it's been like this for decades and it's the only and best way to recognize file formats. An "extension" is just a part of the file name and means absolutely nothing. Even windows ignores it in some cases.

"RIFF".

I agree, it's just that the only programmer who took the challenge of fking over old tradition wrote a 640x480 only operating system with no internet support. But hey, you can have graphics in source code. So all is forgiven. Gawddamn it Terry.

Attached: holyc.png (650x490, 20K)

>no one
Maybe if you're counting every OS. I'd bet my dick that X11's still the most used display server on Linux.

What WM are you using?

>most used display server
That'd be SurfaceFlinger.

autism

I know he said god told him to make it 640x480 but in his earlier videos he says he couldn't get his game engine to run at acceptably high fps above 640x480.
J os ran at 800x600 default and Terry didn't seem opposed to a fork with higher resolution support.

0x0009 is 1 character, retard.

C and Unix are garbage that set us back decades and doomed computing for 50 years.

One character with the size of eight, retard.

sorry but spending hours waiting for lisp garbage collection to complete could never catch on

The only autistic one here is you for thinking X is way more relevant than it actually is nowadays.

yeah the great wayland transition is happening ANY DAY NOW

X is and will be relevant until well after Wayland reaches 50% market share.

not him but tearfree (amd) gives vsync on everything

t.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1280x720, 164K)

I see nothing wrong with this image

>backwards-compatibility obsession, it leads to ever increasing complexity and we will reach a point where the amount of manhours spent on supporting outdated shit will be more than the manhours we would have needed to update old software
>WYSIWYG document editors
>bloated programs/programs written in slow languages (inb4 it's technically not the language that's slow)
>C - it should be replaced with an "equivalent" language (i.e. no OOP and such) that doesn't have its flaws

b8
Or just literal retards, idk