/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires BIOS chip de-soldering), T400(s), T500, W500 (works with igpu, no DP).

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i7 8550U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117
you can directly email the creator regarding purchases
>[email protected]

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: W701ds (3).jpg (2560x1920, 568K)

I hate the Thinkshit cult with a passion but the W70xds gimmick is just neat looking.

Thinking of buying a minifree thinkpad. which is better, x200 or t400? mainly looking for longer battery life. i don't necessarily need a disk drive, is that the only pro of the t400?

>tfw have been using my fully upgraded T430 with an IPS screen as my main workstation for over a year now
>tfw my little X200t is still my portable daily driver

Feels good man.

Attached: muh thinkpad t430.jpg (1136x736, 175K)

>Not a single AMD thinkpad listed in the OP
Disappointing

Anons am Looking for a Thinkpad for my GF for uni what should I get for her? She wants something with good battery life and 1050ish GPU.

Can i edit an innolux screen EDID to bypass bios whitelist on my T450?

Attached: IMG_20190416_121842.jpg (4032x3024, 712K)

who here chadpad user? (T5XX and W5XX apply)

Attached: .jpg (2304x1728, 464K)

>GF
Fuck off normalfag, this website is for incel virgins only.

ThinkPads fucking suck, sage in all the fields.

I'm buying a X250 and modding a larger T-series keyboard into it. Wish me luck.

Attached: 81Xeuko8n2L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1125, 107K)

any thoughts on the T25?

Okay I need a laptop for me and myself only with good battery and 1050 like GPU which should I get?

Hey lads, I'm running Arch on a X220, I want to know if I can wake up from suspend with a keyboard button instead of the Power button, I'm kinda a paranoid autist and don't want to fuck it up because I press it several times a day.

Oh hey look all it is the new Apple fags. They think because they buy lenovo that they know tech. Enjoy spending 5x the $ on something. New Apple fags.

Attached: 1542159828644.gif (600x338, 195K)

I paid like $60 for my x220. Are you suggesting that I could get a similar product for $12?

open the laptop and bridge the pins instead

the fn key should just work

How?

Just got my first thinkpad
What are some good tests to see if everything is working properly?

Throw water on it, it should survive.

Is there any real benefit to updating the bios of my x200T? I think it has the version that it shipped with, so I’m sure some updates have been released. Is it even possible to get updates from Lenovo for such an old laptop?

There should be a button somewhere on the device that powers it on.

Hwinfo64
Shake it and listen for loose stuff
Repeatedly open and close it
Whack off to some hentai

I wont do that
I dont plan on spilling anything on it
I did and it powered on fine
Will download it
Some loose stuff
I think one of those is the hd
the battery and the screen is kinda loose too
but i guess thats nothing to be worried about

The CD-ROM is not working

>
>Okay I need a laptop for me and myself only with good battery and 1050 like GPU which should I get?
You should get an X220 man

user with broken trackpad and trackpoint here.
I tried "upgrading" the t440p stock trackpad with an ALPS t450 trackpad and now neither the old or the ALPS trackpad work, linux doesnt detect a trackpad nor a trackpoint.
I even got a new trackpad cable and still none of the trackpads works
Pic rel

Attached: IMG_20190529_135659.jpg (4032x3024, 3.21M)

Is it just my machine or is the x220 trackpad dogshit? It seems really imprecise, like it’s hard to click on small icons. My t420 doesn’t have this issue at all

>using the trackpad

It's shit

This did it, thank you so much user, now I can fix my autism, is there any other key that does the same? just for knowing.

Mine does the same, in the only distro I managed to fix it permanently was Arch, there is some info in the wiki.

Some keys are not working too wtf
is that too big of a problem?
Are they easy to fix?

>1050 like GPU
>X220
Pick one.

reminder that t480/s are literally the best and basically you're fucking stupid by using anything else

I’ve switched to an NTlite’d ISO of Win10 on my X220 with Arch as a dual boot, but I want to revive my T410. I put in a DIMM of high density DDR3 1600mhz, however it BSODs on different RAM related stop codes, when I know for a fact that this stick is good.

I’ve read the chipset in the T410 generation specifically does not support high density RAM (4 chips per side) and needs regular density. Is this why it’s blue screening? It crashes the Linux kernel also.

My main issue is I have to have it at high pointer speed, Windows 7 for example is impossible to get right, it needs the Win10 specific Ultranav utility to really do it right; otherwise a Linux distro is required.

By default on Windows it’s extremely slow pointer speed and it’s just a chore to use.

Is t450s and t450 trackpad the same ?

what is some cool shit I can do with the expresscard port?

Can I charge an X61 with a 90W ac adapter or it will burn it?

Attached: 1484215997000.jpg (411x292, 17K)

> 90W 20V

Attached: 1475603442672.png (971x823, 334K)

is there that much of a difference between the trackpoints?

No.

Attached: th_11.jpg (474x189, 8K)

I think t450s one is glass and t450 mylar. So t450s one feels better

Redpill me on ThinkBook, user.

Anyone got the HP Elite infographs?
ktgee page can't be accessed from the waybackmachine.

Attached: Hane-Ame-Ane-Naru-Mono-Chiyo-Cosplay-Simply-Stunning-20.jpg (2048x1366, 562K)

Long story short I have an x230 tablet with a fucked motherboard and I only have enough for an x220 tablet mother board without the keyboard.
Can I use the x230 keyboard with a x220 t motherboard with out too many issues?

Attached: 1295260228001.jpg (250x250, 14K)

when i tried to use a x230 kb on a x220 it would shut down with no warning every 10 minutes or so, it was partially disassembled though, didn't really look into it

By disassembled you mean the keyboard. Right?

the keyboard wasn't screwed down (only attached by the cable), didn't have the palm rest or the keyboard bezel mounted either

For the current price of a t480 I could get a gaming laptop with better specs, meanwhile my t450 is snappy and cost me 180. pretty sure these threads are targeted for broke people who want the best price/performance ratio

I've got X200 for my dad, is Win7 the highest it can run?
Also what's the smallest SSD that can accommodate Win7

Attached: 8sl2j93h2bz21.jpg (1080x1249, 137K)

Wait, how do X and T series keyboards differ on the newer models? I thought they were the same size. Look pretty similar, at least.

12" ones are worse. Smaller keys and worse layout. And they put that in the x390. wtf. When L380 has the 14" keyboard

I got a new ribbon cable for my w500 display. I tested all of the past monitors I had previously bought. None of them worked, except for the 1280x800 lcd that isn't even displaying at its proper res. I at least got turbovnc on it and have it running as a file server, but the damn thing can't take my ultra bay hdds. This thing is poorly designed on its own, but at least the dock gives me more ports to work with.

id like to get into thinkpads since ill need a laptop for uni however im somewhat overwhelmed by all the diffrent models
any reccs for a start? i wouldnt mind it being overkill but apart from uni stuff id only browse Jow Forums and play 4x games tbf

>1050ish GPU
thinkpad a485 its got a vega 8 and lasts about 6hrs if you get it with the bigger battery

Is the X310 decent as a daily driver?

was tweaking my bios when i restarted and now my boot screen is just the lenovo logo and not the thinkpad/lenovo default screen.
Is this an actual error or just cosmetic ?

based wrong screws causing plastic bumps user
gotta ask tho, is the trackpad cable actually plugged in properly, i didnt the first time so its worth making sure

or get her the cheeper thinkpad e485 with a big battery

i plugged it in many times over and i dont know if i damaged the mobo or something (or i actually broke my original cable and the new one that came was DOA), is there any ways I can test the mobo it ?
I also already ordered a synaptics trackpad and new keyboard + new cable - So if that doesnt fucking work then ill need a new mobo

Attached: 1555436711785.jpg (960x960, 75K)

that vega is like easily 2x slower than 1050 though

have you tried a different distro or even (dare i say it) windows, i've found before with albeit different issues that certain things just didnt work on some distros, eg on one of my old laptops scrolling just didnt work under fedora
it's looking likely that you broke something, hopefully its just the cable

Best fan for a X230T? Need to replace mine, been hearing AVC's fans are the quietest of them all, but what's the experience with the other brands?

Attached: 1555522841093.png (203x254, 96K)

It can run 10 but wouldn't expect great performance so stick with 7 if you have to put windows on it.
Would be best off with a lightweight GNU/Linux distro like Lubuntu though.
For the SSD, just pick up a 128gb one for

That's because AMD ThinkPads suck

Libreboot or coreboot? That is the question

well, the macbook shit the bed after 8 years of service and I'm sick and tired of buying new parts over and over. how did i do boys?

Attached: fm27mr.png (553x162, 43K)

>It can run 10 but wouldn't expect great performance so stick with 7
Win 10 ltsc/ltsb is both lighter and faster than 7

I see.
You sure?

Which bios setting should I make sure to enable to keep my T430 secure?

not hyperthreading or any intel technology goy

Why do all Thinkpads have terrible displays?

yes you can

you dont need a good display to write word documents and code all day, after all thinkpads are business laptops for business men.
prove me wrong

You don't need a good display for enterprise style worm.

Alright Jow Forums, real talk now.

Old keyboards vs new keyboards. Discuss.
Which is better? If old ones are better, are the a lot better? If new ones are better, why?
Is the key stroke alight?
Is it worth putting off buying a new Thinkpad if I love my T420's keyboard so much or am I overreacting nad the new keyboards aren't bad at all?

Both are fine, older ones have better layout but when it comes to just typing new ones are just as good, I used both and I don't have a clear preference it's fine either way.

>when it comes to just typing new ones are just as good

this is the most important part for me. thanks user.
I know it sounds retarded but I don't have a chaqnce to try out a new Thinjkpad in my country. in meme electronic stores for boomers you can find all kinds of Ideapads and gamer shit but I have yet to see an actual Thinkpad in a real shop

if the old ones are better then why is it the case that nobody has changed it/complained about it to the company, if they were actually better wouldn't they change it? i love the look but have never typed on them before but i do like travel in my keys.i just do not get how they downgraded and still keep doing it. or is it only nostalgiafags on Jow Forums complaining and nobody else?

What RAM should I buy for a Librebooted X200? I tried 8GB of Corsair Mac RAM (Which I heard worked) and it didn't work.

Also my trackpoint is kinda cracked, how do I fix that without replacing the keyboard?

Attached: 20190529_005356.jpg (4032x1908, 1.35M)

Anyone?

Attached: KashiwazakiSena-EroCosplay-Maids-Bathing-Seifuku-Mizugi-72.jpg (1201x1800, 536K)

Is the difference in screen size between a 14 inch and 15 inch Thinkpad really significant enough to go for a 15 inch model?

I replaced my 13 inch Macbook Pro with an X230, but the screen size was way smaller than I expected because I was used to my Macbook being 16:10. And the TN screen on the X230 is not only small but is one of the shittiest screens I've seen on a mobile device in my life so I'm planning on replacing it with a bigger 1080p IPS model.

Is it best to just stick to a T450s?

Gasworthy idiot detected. The point of Jow Forums buying Pads is getting them cheap used, not buying new. That's where their ease of upgrade (doesn't exist on Fapple) and repair comes in handy.

>Which is better?
I have typed on a t450 (new keyboard) and x220 (old keyboard) and I much prefer the old one.
>If old ones are better, are the a lot better?
It's kind of hard to explain. I wouldn't say the difference is night and day, but the old keyboard feels nicer to type with. The new one isn't really bad though, it's a pretty standard chiclet style laptop keyboard.
>Is it worth putting off buying a new Thinkpad if I love my T420's keyboard so much or am I overreacting nad the new keyboards aren't bad at all?
This depends on why you want a new thinkpad. If you need a new laptop for the specs, then it's worth getting the newer keyboard since you need the upgraded guts. If you just want to try something new but can function just fine with your t420, I'd recommend staying with it.

I dunno man, I kinda memed myself and just bought a new one. Went for a T580 in the end.

>nobody has changed it/complained about it to the company
Many users have complained to the company. There is this very thread, reddit, and there are even threads on the lenovo forums.
>if they were actually better wouldn't they change it
No. The reason they switched to the new design is because it is cheaper and quicker to manufacture. It's like asking why new phones don't have headphone jacks, even though it's objectively better to have one than not. It's cheaper for the phone makers to not include the jack, and then they also make money by selling adapters. Everything companies do is to become more competitive, but that is often reached by cutting costs and not improving the products.

£62 for a nearly unused X200, a good deal?

I use my X220 on my home without a battery because is fucked, Will the laptop charger still working when I turn it off? I'm pretty lazy to disconnect the plug when I'm going to sleep, but also don't want to trash my charger since I'm a poorfag.

Got an i7-3632QM for my T430 for €58 with free shipping today, feels good man. I think it was that cheap because the auction was limited to my country, the same processor is being sold for €80+ in the rest of the world.

Attached: 35C03D6C-3FC6-4E61-A997-4DA1B2CEA7C1.gif (640x480, 1.26M)

How much better are the second generation i5 520ms compared to the first generation?

Keyboard is awesome.

ISO keyboards (UK, Nordic, German, Latin American layouts) are half a key wider than the US keyboard, so as result some of the symbol keys near enter get squished to fuck. Dell does the right thing by squishing the enter key instead, but Lenovo's gonna Lenovo.

Attached: GR-KBD-BL-New-Orig-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-X270-A275-Backlit-German-Keyboard-Germany-Backlight-Teclado.j (640x640, 63K)

Looking for a new thinkpad within $1000 for video editing and light gaming

does the trackpad on yogas suck balls?

i really liked my t410 for the not garbage trackpad drivers (compared to dells)

Get the current X1E on the sale, a new gen is coming.

>tfw fell for the thinkpad meme
>Buy one off ebay for £150
>BIOS locked
>Buy another one off ebay for £250
>Claims superb condition and 9 hours battery life
>"Battery 0 not detected"
>2 hours battery life

Are X1 carbons based or cringe?

What the FUCK is wrong with Lenovo?
>Ryzen 3700U
>a single 8GB DDR 2400 module, soldered
>""""T series Thinkpad"""
Is Intel literally bribing them to memory starve the T495?

Attached: 1529752525554.jpg (850x850, 103K)