/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Ryzen 3000 series CPUs and X570 motherboards will released on 7/7/2019; they will likely match or beat Intel's offerings in all categories. High performance Navi graphics cards will be released later in July. More Navi news at E3.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: serveimage.png (1389x500, 2.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/wLk4Hh
pcpartpicker.com/list/WJBN8Y
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX
frys.com/product/9266209
silverstonetek.com/images/products/gd09/gd09-1.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>8700k
Another troll OP

>$40 "friend price" for 960
wow your friend hates you
See if you can get the RX560 for $40.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/wLk4Hh
>gigabyte board
>overpriced PSU
could do better.

120fps in what? In older games you can do that on cheap GPUs fine.

Price fixing.

Reminder to boycott upcoming x570 gaymen garbage with fans and other retardation.

Lmao, you are one pathetic little idiot.

if X570 is already expensive and usually comes with a chipset fan, how will 3rd gen Threadripper cope?

Or rather the new generation of TR4 boards with PCIe 4.0 I mean. It's gonna be a really powerful chipset.

Attached: 1501266499809.jpg (492x483, 114K)

Rate, planning on buying once benchmarks come out for Ryzen 3000.

pcpartpicker.com/list/WJBN8Y

And to head off questions...
>Motherboard
Stuck between this and the MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC. Have no preference really, can be swayed to one or the other.
>RAM
Cheap and can OC to 3200, good enough for my needs
>SSD
Cheap and fast. I know the endurance isn't great but I don't anticipate filling it up for at least 5 years, by which point storage technology will be much better probably.

>2k build
>cheapest shit 3000 ram u found

LAMO

Dunno what to tell you, tight budget.

How hard will a 3700X or 3900X be to get on 7/7? Also, do we have to wait until then for independent benchmarks?

Attached: 1558572759636.jpg (1440x1080, 117K)

Does anyone have one of these to where the sizes overlap?

I would expect sellouts very quickly, and you should always wait for independent benchmarks.

>>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

breadpill on this?

Please get started on mITX cases

picture @ link
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Rumor is that 3rd gen Threadripper will be Zen3 and will come before the desktop parts next year, in H1 2020, and that it'll have 3 threads per core.
It'll also have a lot more PCIe lanes. Maybe someone will make a motherboard with 10 m.2 slots on the back...

There is a combination of needing all the dies they can for Epyc right now, the difficulty of AMD creating and validating their own designed chipsets that are so new, and thinking it's premature to bring X499 just yet.

Yes you will likely have to wait until 7/7 morning for independent benchmarks.
>How hard will a 3700X or 3900X be to get on 7/7?
Yields aren't as good as before, which leads to the above where we aren't getting a new Threadripper this year, and demand will likely be higher as it seems to be purely better than Intel even on the high end now. So they very may sell out initially. Didn't even the 2700X sell out for the first few days at many retailers?

Why the FUCK is it so hard to find a decent CPU heatsink for this case? Every good low profile cooler is getting discontinued and replaced with a taller one because they "aren't compatible" with (((gamer motherboards))) and (((gamer memory))).

Attached: Node 202.jpg (1000x460, 71K)

Might be the wrong thread but why the fuck are there so many different versions of what i think is the same graphics card? Im looking for an rtx 2070 but i dont understand why theres so many different options. Msi alone has like 6 versions

>why the fuck are there so many different versions of what i think is the same graphics card? Im looking for an rtx 2070 but i dont understand why theres so many different options. Msi alone has like 6 versions
To make it more likely that you'll make the wrong choice and get ripped off.

Just get a Silverstone RVZ02 instead

I've got an actually decent L9x65 in there despite it being like 7mm above the "limit", does pretty good

Well its working because im confused and not sure what to buy. I really thought narrowing it down would be easier.

Just buy the Vega 64 Nitro+ instead. It's a really good model. Deciding between Vega models is easy since there are just a handful of standout models.
It's 4-10% slower, but it's a lot cheaper.

>buy my doa intel shit pls sir

Attached: 1547449668785.png (500x600, 210K)

>x570 gaymen garbage with fans
The chipset fan is going to be there even on non gaming boards. Apparently the southbridge (or something) gets really hot

If you're buying no matter what, make sure to place your order early, or failing that use a website like nowinstock

Depending on the CPU you might be able to go passive

Different coolers, different steppings of chip, different overclocks, etc

>Just buy the Vega 64 Nitro+ instead
Garbage

>It's 4-10% slower
In your mind maybe, not in reality. 37 / 250 is 15% slower

>inb4 nvidiapowerup shillllll
>stop btfo'ing me with data :(((

Attached: relative-performance_2560-1440.png (500x890, 52K)

Il look into it, thanks.
I want to get into vr but damn do you need some decent stuff for it to be worthwhile at all.

They are all the same in terms of performance. It's just that those who cost more will run cooler and quieter.
Ignore the resident amd salesman btw

Usually there's a base clock one and an overclocked one
Then a short style with one fan and a thicc heatsink, or a long style with two+
Then rbgay or none
So just use the compare button.

>all this marketing
What commission do you charge?

Attached: 24wdfk8.png (339x319, 138K)

You know those results are with the reference blower.
You've literally had this pointed out to you over 20 times by me and others but you keep gaslighting people by implying it isn't.

Figure this is more PC-building than anything.

I've been avoiding Win10 like the devil since the data collection surfaced practically at launch. Has it improved at all in the subsequent years, or should I hang tight to Win7? Gaming is a key use of the box, so not especially negotiable on OS vendor.

What's a good midsize case that doesn't look gamery and doesn't have a glass side panel?

Why was Vega taken out of the OP?

I currently have an FX-6300 over clocked to 4.1 GHz and an RX 570. Is it worth upgrading to the new ryzen 3700X?

I see that most of the Ryzen 3000 processors have a 32MB L3 Cache, up from 16MB with Ryzen 2000 and as compared to 9MB that Intel's packing. Is that an excessive amount, something that can be chalked up to differences in design, or somewhere in between?

Just get windows 10 and use shut up 10! if you want to block a lot of telemetry. This might make updates hard, but you’re more private.

I mistyped pcpartpicker.com and some site about dick pumps came up.

>3700x with a 570
Ye go for it

1080p (FHD)
>RX 570/580 - value.
>1660 - Slightly better perf for more demanding games on high/maxed 60fps+
> 1660Ti / Vega56 - higher framerates
1440p (WQHD)
>used 1070Ti / Vega - 60-120fps+ in most games on high/maxed
>Above Vega offers progressively poorer and poorer value. Wait for the RX 5000 series
2160p (4k)
>Wait for RX 5000 series

I'll note that down. Thanks!

Reference blower can hit stock and boost. You've had this repeatedly pointed out to you. Get fucked.

Because someone with a brain wrote the OP

Yes, but obviously only upgrade when you actually need to.. if you haven't noticed any performance problems, you don't need to.

Fractal Design Define/Meshify C series, however short/tall you need because midsize means fuck-all and you didn't mention requirements, which you won't find a case for anyway because nobody offers that. No, nobody, not in that configuration, fuck you.

As long as you don't have to reinstall 7 and not browsing sketchy parts of the internet.jpg.exe, then you should be fine. Otherwise MS have made it impossible to get certain updates "officially" and even tells you Win7 support is ending when you try to first install updates.

But it's possible to get Win7 running on Ryzen, but maybe wouldn't count on 3xxx series to work. For AAA gayming, you might be hosed too but I thought I saw rumors of DX12 coming to Win7?

Cache is expensive (lots of die space) and Intel are a cheap cucktress.

A 2600 would be cheaper and more than enough for the RX570.

>frys.com/product/9266209
$250 for 12 core 24 thread 1920X Threadripper, boosts to 4 Ghz.

If anyone wants a true multicore monster for cheap. The value here is insane.

But you have to buy X399 and a cooler as well, which will be expensive and eat into your 250 in savings. Better to wait until the R9 3900X, which is a far better processor overall

Have 50 bezosbucks, looking for a new case.
>USA/USD
>costs $100-$150, not including the credit I've got
>ATX motherboard
>fits at least two 3.5in drives
>takes cpu cooler of at least 125mm
>sound dampening
>related to above, I'm fine with no window if that means more sound dampening
>bonus points, an extra pcie expansion spot like how silverstonetek.com/images/products/gd09/gd09-1.jpg has. I have an internal USB header to USB ports on PCI bracket adapter and I do need the extra ports. Those extra slots like for those vertical video card mounts on the cases listed below will also work, however this is an extremely minor want and can be ignored otherwise
I've been looking at the FD Define R6 and the bq Silent Base 601 but for some reason they all seem to be over msrp on amazon
I know I have $50 in credit but fuck overpaying
Does anyone know of a similar case?

Been looking at used 10xx cards and notice a lot of them have fan issues.

Is this a 3rd party specific issue? 10 series issue? Have you replaced any? Easy?

Attached: file.png (1600x1200, 2.77M)

Yes, windows 10 is fine. Any reason to use 7 over it is founded in mental illness.

If you hate the store and all telemetry and shit just use the education/LTSC versions.

This. A $400 motherboard puts it at the same price as an i9 9900k + $150 mobo which beats it across the board and trounces it in single-threaded.

There are two rules to Nvidia cards
>Always buy top of the class
>Always buy EVGA
Applies to new and used cards

>Because someone with a brain wrote the OP
Please explain.

just get zalman case for around 40$ zalman z1 neo

Sound dampending and everything but you can open front (it is door) for more airflow and more noise

Zalman z9 neo black 32 dollars not z1

Attached: 4.jpg (324x479, 89K)

>top of the class
>has 2080ti black

nice try idiot

Post YFW X570 is too expensive for the drones

Attached: 1e9.png (2500x4000, 3.28M)

Is it dumb to buy 3x 27" 1080p 144hz monitors to replace 2x 27" 1080p 60hz monitors for roughly the same price as 1x 144hz 1440p/ultra-wide 1080p?

See somebody selling their 2200g for $70. Said it was new but they bought the wrong mobo. Why wouldn't they just return it if that were the case instead of selling it at a loss?

To have main screen for movies games and excel sheet and smaller screen for Jow Forums n shit like that, makes most sense

also 140hz is placebo human eye can not see over 90fps

scam 101%

Attached: XD.webm (564x398, 852K)

now imagine with this one

>forgot pic

Attached: 1.5 kg heatstink.jpg (1200x900, 182K)

>3x 27" 1080p
yea thats a mistake

I decided to upgrade my monitor but I don't know shit about them and was learning the differences between IPS and TN since I was wondering why my shitty old Dell monitor was looking better than anything I had seen in my price range. Turns out my shitty old Dell monitor wasn't so shitty and has an IPS screen, so now I'm fucked because the IPS screens I'm willing to upgrade to are buttfuck expensive. /blog

All the IPS monitors I'm looking at just don't seem to be an upgrade worth a damn.

Is the coolermaster masterbox Q300L a bad case? I've seen mostly negative videos but positive customer reviews.

im just curious why you chose such an oddball case. what kind of computer and what are you using it for?

>coolermaster masterbox Q300L
There's better microATX cases, that one just "looks cool".

Whats the best air cooler for a 5GHz OC on a i7 9700k? Mine gets pretty hot under full load at 4.4GHz.

Attached: 19244689.275000006_1533318856033.png.jpg (1125x821, 530K)

Suggest some please.

What are you using it for

Nuctua NH-D15 or be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.

I'm going to stick a gigabyte RX 570. So nothing too extreme

>purpose
Gaming at 1440p and creative software applications including video rendering/editing
>budget
$2,500

Should I wait for Ryzen 3K or just buy an i9 build?

Attached: 1629F060-2C3E-4367-86EC-80E9491F6986.jpg (280x280, 12K)

>creative software applications including video rendering/editing
Ryzen 3K for sure.

Then get one that you like the looks of, air flow isn't going to matter that much as long as you put forth the effort for effective cable management.

>OC on a i7 9700k
>full load at 4.4G
user.... that's a downclock (stock allcore boost is 4.6 fren)

this

don't give intel money

It started at 36 on the bios. I put it to 44. I know boost is like 4.9GHz so i know my cooler is not efficient enough.

he's a shill basically

guys, will 3-slot thick become the norm for high end cards, or is just nvidia turing dies so hot, that makes fermi ones cool in comparison?
want to put a 2080ti for (((cuda))) work, but my meme-ITX case only supports 2-slots thick cards, so I worry about the future, where all the high end ones are t h i c c

Definitely wait, regardless of which choice you make.
Either you'll have a better option or your original choice will end up cheaper.

Is this an m.2 standoff?

Was in my mobo box, there's 2 of them, my mobo has 2 m.2 slots so I'm guessing it is?

Attached: IMG_0856.jpg (3264x2448, 2.12M)

hey guys, I need help identifying usb 2.0 ports from usb 3.0 ports on my z270 gaming pro motherboard.
I would guess the first two on the left to be 2.0s but I need to be sure. Thanks in advance

Attached: Z270_GAMING_PRO_CARBON_IO.png (960x480, 72K)

Why?
I wouldn't be losing any pixel density so it's still an upgrade, Is pixel density so important that three 24" 1080p 144hz monitors would be better then two 27" 1080p monitors?
Personally my eyes aren't that great so the idea of going from 27' 1080p to 24" 1080p seems like a mistake even if the 24" monitors are faster with greater pixel density.

yes, 6 are the usb 2 ports

>pcpartpicker.com/list/WJBN8Y
good mobo choice. gaming 7 and crosshair 7 are the only real choices desu. skip MSI. gigaboi has better boost if you dont plan having an allcore oc.

I fucking hope. Two slot coolers are totally undersized for the TDP of high end GPUs from this decade. 250W TDP, yet the coolers are far smaller than for CPUs with half the heat output. Graphics cards always end up being by far the hottest and noisiest part of the PC. Also graphics cards fans STILL NOT STANDARD SIZED AAAAHHHH.

idk

but I use a 27" 1440p 144hz IPS monitor, and if I need to, I just play windowed at 1080p and keep another window with twitch/yt up beside it

works pretty well for me

my desk is small though, so if I could. I would get a 1080p secondary

Is the ASUS VG279Q monitor really sporting an 1ms refresh rate or did I fall for the advertising? I'm wanting to upgrade my monitor and bought it on the recommendation of a friend but if I can get something better in the 350 USD range I'll cancel my order and get that. pcpartpicker says it doesn't have 1ms refresh, I want something I can keep for an extended duration.

I just don't understand what happened in the last few years. A decade ago we had 500W graphics cards with two gpus with smaller heatsinks and without vapor chambers. Now suddenly everything fucking melts if the GPU gets close to 200W.

9400f or 9600k for 2k 60fps gaming?

Funny guy.

RX 580/590 or GTX 1660, assuming I somehow find them at the same price range?
Does it matter that I'm full AMD (2700 and x470), so should I go for a RX 580/590 and a freesync monitor anyway or does it not matter if I shove some nvidia in there?
Also, once the gpu is chosen, which brand is the best for arounf $200?

When it comes to overclocking RAM, if I get errors in memtest5, but my applications don't crash, is there an issue?

Attached: 1543192242442.png (1267x785, 146K)

Yes.
You will crash eventually, data will get corrupted and your windows install will be compromised.
DO NOT run with errors.

Should I raise some of my timings? DRAM calculator says I can try for lower but if I'm getting errors right now I should change it huh

What timing should I lighten up on?

Attached: Ryzenchecker4.png (1561x763, 96K)

Try tRCDWR 15, tRP 15, tRCDRD 17, tFAW 35, tCKE 9
I assume you're running testmem5 with 1usmus preset v3?

I bought a i7-9700k at full price literally a month ago.
Dumb move?

?