/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread: What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1559038763019.jpg (1024x724, 457K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=978-1316626221&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=identifier
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not possible on regex in a single expression, unless you can somehow make it a recursive expression
You can do multiple passes tho, starting by selecting eligible lines that would allow greentexting with
/^>(?!(>\d+?\B)|(>>\\.*?\\\b)).*$/gm

>What are you working on, Jow Forums?
my dick

Attached: fate.webm (1280x720, 2.96M)

why is my programming ability much higher the day after drinking/recovering from a mild hangover?

Attached: 1819282821819.jpg (1920x1534, 578K)

actually
>>>\a\ss
use the ones that highlight, I remember it being backspaces but it wouldn't be the first time I forget shit

Programming Boner

I'm working on a jeopardy game that sucks balls

Jeopardy has enough cancer as it is.

Is being a C# codemonkey any better than being a Java codemonkey?

god i wish that were me

Refactoring projects I wrote when I was a kid.

Attached: feet80.jpg (763x1180, 791K)

Alex literally has cancer too lol

The same thing happens to me for some reason. I think it's because when I'm hungover, my mind isn't as overactive as it normally is, so it's easier to focus.

t...that's the joke.....

just completed a callback registration interface for mouse state in a rectangular area so that it can be used internally by widget system later

Attached: IMG_5929.jpg (1000x1333, 668K)

Are you the OS guy?

imagine the smell of those smellys feets *rubs penis on cute feet*

Learning Rust and Sepples

Attached: 564A5024-BDB1-44FD-8803-6EAAED55AD43.jpg (615x900, 208K)

Exact opposite for me. Unfortunatelly I still drink often, because I am depressed as fuck.

no, i'm just implementing it to abstract away the raw event loop

What are you making then? I personally find GUI system design interesting.
I tried designing some crappy GUI program myself from scratch, but I haven't worked on it in a while.

post more feet

What are you working on though

Attached: feet62.jpg (800x600, 290K)

i'm creating a cross-platform gui system using sdl2 and some other things
mostly because it creates portable binary when statically linked on all platforms supported

>Learning Rust
oh no...

Learning sepples is far worse.

Why not just expose state as some JSON API or smth so that anything could hook up and make a GUI out of it?

>be java monkey (I am not indian)
>kode kode kode at enterprise java job
>start to get tired of plugging frameworks into each other until they work
>tell boss I want to start doing more challenging work
>he asks me what my career goals are
>tell him that 10 years down I want to be writing frameworks and languages and not just creating the millionth ETL pipeline for the business architects
>tells me that I won't be able to do it unless I go to an ivy league university
>proceeds to hand me SAP work assignment

Is it true? Is my (destined) career path going to lead me down a path of enterprise bullshit?

Attached: microsoftcertified.png (640x800, 1024K)

He's trying to cuck you into being a CRUD slave forever.

Depends. Are you a white man?

No he's doing his job keeping you in line, keep working but start looking for a more forward-thinking company cuz the one ur at is trash if people like him are boss

>tells me that I won't be able to do it unless I go to an ivy league university
Either he is retarded or you're retarded for believing him. Regardless you should start looking for a new job in your off time because it's obvious that you're at a dead end there.

Attached: fancy.jpg (538x960, 31K)

Because you drank too much and fell down the Ballmer Peak.

Anyway, continuing:
Response_Not_Needed Task() {
Committed Number i = 42;
Number userInt;

Announce

>three fingers
what did they mean by this

Attached: 1557863989010.png (307x462, 11K)

i think it's better for the gui program to expose a protocol for other programs to make gui interface instead of other way around

>What are you working on, Jow Forums?
Mouse/Keylogging on windows. I am hoping to set up a client/server for sending mouse and keyboard inputs over tcp/ip. I guess I am going to have to come up with some sort of syntax to use to transfer the data. Also it looks like I will have to keep track of what keys are down and what keys are up instead of just listening for key down.

Attached: SKIDS.png (979x512, 10K)

Sounds like a dead end to me. Look for another job and start to read if you want to be better than a code monkey.

What is an xvalue and how is it different than a prvalue?

Attached: 591CF6ED-DA61-4A30-96EF-B0F52B93C0E1.jpg (225x225, 9K)

Yes.

That's what I thought. He kept insisting I can't join a core development team unless I have my degree from a big name university. I plan on going back for my masters (to somewhere decent) but it really demotivated me to hear that.

He's always full of shit though. Every time I speak to him, I feel this pit in my stomach. He keeps saying that "People respect me and are happy to have me as a boss" but I can never see why anyone would. I even hear try to play jedi mind tricks on me, "You don't want to do this work? Coworker X would jump on this if I asked her." He even tried to convince me today that he was working on some complicated stuff "Yeah I was working with frames of animation on tape and I was reading like 3 academic papers and implementing hard shit. Yeah it was linked lists and doubly linked lists, hard stuff." It felt like a car salesman trying to convince me he was a professor.

Right now I'm studying leetcode and looking for an exit with Amazon (I know a senior there that will pass my resume in when I'm ready) or Facebook. We'll see what happens though.

>He's always full of shit though. Every time I speak to him, I feel this pit in my stomach. He keeps saying that "People respect me and are happy to have me as a boss" but I can never see why anyone would. I even hear try to play jedi mind tricks on me, "You don't want to do this work? Coworker X would jump on this if I asked her." He even tried to convince me today that he was working on some complicated stuff "Yeah I was working with frames of animation on tape and I was reading like 3 academic papers and implementing hard shit. Yeah it was linked lists and doubly linked lists, hard stuff." It felt like a car salesman trying to convince me he was a professor.

Welcome to Management, where appearances are everything and actual substance can be ignored as long as things appear to be working smoothly.

>He kept insisting I can't join a core development team unless I have my degree from a big name university. I plan on going back for my masters (to somewhere decent) but it really demotivated me to hear that.
This is an excuse. There is no reason to get a masters unless you are specializing in a niche or for immigration.

This, a master's degree is the most worthless piece of paper you can get. If you're going past a Bachelors, it's PhD or nothing.

He's such a bad manager though. At one point he was forced to take on 3 people that recently lost a project and they just didn't play ball. They didn't do any work, they wouldn't talk to us, and they'd just bullshit us the whole time. At one point my coworker and I told him that we can't get them to do anything. He legit said to me, "It's not my job to give them work."

Is there not? I have my bachelors in economics but I've seriously thought about doing it just for the core comp sci knowledge that I missed out on being a "self learned" koder. Though, on the flip side, this job I work at now has me contracted to a huge company (think Microsoft or Google big), so I at least have the experience. Still, I've learned a lot just studying comp sci by myself and I feel like there's a lot more I can get out of formal learning.

Is there a good C interpreter? I'm just starting to learn C but it seems like I'd save a lot of time if I didn't have to switch between vim and gcc whenever I want to run something.

Learn to get along with zetsubou.

Attached: D6yQwI2UcAAiagb.jpg:large.jpg (1920x1080, 266K)

>if I didn't have to switch between vim and gcc whenever I want to run something
switch to emacs

try tcc

use makefiles. alt-tab between terminal and editor windows and type 'make'
it's pretty fast.

wot if emacs is a grill?

you can type in any command in the stdin from vim with ":!", you can combine it with a makefile or whatever

picoc is a minimalist c interpreter with an interactive repl that I use to check little things. If you want to run a c file real quick without having to compile first, tcc with the -run option is best.

If you set up your build system properly, it'll take like 2 seconds to compile and run your code.

Does anyone even use UTF-16?

Java and some Windows shit does.
UTF-16 is fucking retarded, though, and should never be used. Truly a worst of both-worlds solution compared to UTF-8 and UTF-32.

Microsoft wstrings are utf16

the only occasion that is relevant to me is filename on windows which i use MultiByteToWideChar/WideCharToMultiByte to convert immediately to utf-8

Anyone know how to lerp between angles with a specific direction?

Well I just implement most of regex in my shitlang’s standard library. Took only 200 lines too. Pretty good for a language that’s borderline Assembly.

>nipple bump

Attached: 1558510951048.gif (350x464, 301K)

>I guess I am going to have to come up with some sort of syntax to use to transfer the data
look into data compression algorithms

Assembly and Regex? What an unusual mix!

cute colors

I am not so worried about how I am going to send the data at first. I just want to have something basic. I am going to need to think about how I can get the cursor to still read relative differences while off-screen. I plan on using socat to just pump this raw ascii stream and parse it on the other side.

|^ = scroll up
|v = scroll down
*#,#* = mouse click (button, up/down)
,, = keystroke

Attached: skid2.png (979x512, 54K)

> CRUD slave
My sides. Nice meme!

should I learn it Jow Forums? just for the fuck of it?

Attached: haskie.png (1200x847, 15K)

yes, i'd recommend LYAH but it's down. if you're on windows use stack to install ghc

>LYAH
is it down foeva or just right now?

No clue. there's always the wikibook

>A book can be "down"

welcome to the future user

How do I learn SQL, guys? I need to get a practical cert and gain the knowledge it represents, not a brain dump.

SQL is a pretty simple language to pick up but you do need some context for it. I found pic related to be a good introduction to sql and simple databases. It doesn’t go into the deep details or cover the complications in highly concurrent and available systems, but you can ignore those details until you have a job that requires you learn them.

Attached: 68A07756-F917-4B8E-B05C-3C414DEE1A90.png (473x625, 173K)

I wouldn’t recommend LYAH. It’s years out of date and reads like a hitlist of Haskell’s features rather than an introduction to the language and functional programming.
I’d recommend pic related for getting started instead.

Attached: B003640B-21A1-4E4E-997E-4206EF951A63.jpg (1012x1345, 965K)

do you have a link to a pdf?

Sorry, I own the book.
It’s not on libgen, but I know other anons found a pdf of it out there. The first edition would also be out of date like LYAH, you need the second.

>$32
damn why do programming books gotta be so expensive

the haskell book is even worse it's like twice that

Not on amazon

also don't forget to ask questions

It's free if you pirate it.

I got a software dev intern interview soon and was wondering what I should be wearing, any tips? Should I go business casual (looked at some photos and some workers were wearing shirts), or go suited up?

Are you suggesting I commit a fucking crime

Suit up. I wore a kilt to mine and like a true Scot forewent underwear. Obviously I had the cute little receptionist who signed me in give me a quick little handjob right beforehand. Good times.

Unless they specified business casual I would assume you should suit up.

Okay, so, there's "uniform initialization" in sepples now, done with curly braces. It's supposed to prevent you from automatically casting by having the compiler bitch at you.
Questions:
>why curly braces? Their other use is code blocks!
>isn't that the sort of thing to be passed as a compiler flag, as it's related to coding practice?
>on that note, did we really need a whole initialization syntax for this?

Answers are appreciated.

gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=978-1316626221&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=identifier

Because C++ is a shitshow of a language.

they didn't specify anything, but the company looked casual with people wearing t-shirts or button ups
Would a suit not be seen as "overkill"?

I don't think people are going to judge very much, if at all, if you wear a suit to an interview.
If you own a suit, wear it. If you don't, it's probably not worth going out of your way to get one.

It's not bad to send an email and ask for the dress code it you're really not sure. But even for companies that usually dress casually around the work place, interviewees will still suit up. The baseline assumption is always to wear a suit unless you really think they're expecting business casual.

ok, cheers

Because classes in C++ are just fancy structs. Also it avoids needing to call any specific constructor directly and leaves that up to the compiler.

Is there a practical reason not to just use an IDE in 2019. I’ve been using vim for a few years and customized it to my liking. But I still don’t feel as efficient when navigating a project as some code monkeys in CLion. Should I just suck it up and learn the IDE?

I’ve switched between an IDE and Vim often like a brainlet. Whatever makes you feel efficient, that’s important.
I like using Vim more because I feel very fast using it, but I still like CLion because the experience is all “integrated”.

Try out CLion properly on a project, and see how it feels.

expression
centered
programming

Attached: oop.png (1000x1132, 58K)

Already moved on to data oriented programming

How do I

Attached: 1515096319587.jpg (306x337, 35K)

Reminder that compiling your program is undefined behavior.

the diagram's author mislabeled procedural programming as functional

where does the functional programming/trans people meme even come from? Are there a lot of them into FP? I've never noticed this

Just be you.