2000's = Programs

>2000's = Programs
>2010's = Apps

Who do we blame?

Attached: 58895094_355665414926498_1166288808631599104_n.jpg (768x960, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:SaaSS
displayninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/4-4-4-vs-4-2-0.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Society

>waaaah language changes slightly over time

Apple.

The dirty filthy Italians.

Bitches

the OP

>1990s = apps, applications and programs
weird...

You did it OP.

>2020's = Prapps

Attached: 1558599807134.jpg (359x347, 66K)

Apple.

2007. Apphole.

>2030's = *Brapps*

hey fuck you I was gonna post that

Fuck off nigger.

Yeah fuck off nigger

The Linux community for embracing the term "app" instead of combating it. I thought you were supposed to be the tech-savvy ones, Lintards.

Attached: our-star-apps.jpg (1090x733, 157K)

We should call it GNU/App

>90s = Applications
there's an application for that.

This is the correct answer. In Apple world, well before the iPhone, their programs were always called apps. The iPhone comes along, carves out the market before anyone else & still calls them apps. So thats what we call them all now.

>Me, an intellectual = Executables

>1990's = Progz
Remember the good old days?

's = Programs
's = Apps
>1970's = applications
The only zoomer here is you, dumbshit OP.

program or applications. app is a cancerous alternative, popularised by apple, and is ignored by all non-retards.

It was .app years before Apple

Attached: 16-terminal.app_.png (639x478, 10K)

What are you talking about? Im a 1992 zoomer who couldn't even speak English until about 2005; and even -I'm- aware that the English speaking world has been using the term 'app' for decades

See: killer app
See:

Attached: killer-apps-store-applications-software-download-22656262.jpg (1300x1080, 205K)

Please don't lump *buntu users with the rest of us. I don't run apps on Gentoo, RHEL, or CentOS - just programs.

Apple ecosystem - blame them.

Wrong

>1980
>database app
>1990
>datawarehouse app
>2000
>enterprise app
>2010
>web app

i call the sources a program, the compiled program a binary, and the running program a process. sometimes i say proc, it rhymes with spoke.

Can someone tell me what exactly a “web app” is? Is it just a website? Cuz some niggas b calling basic ass websites “web apps”.

>proke
Stay the fuck away from me

>he doesn't use cool hacker lingo
lame

I call em Jow Forumsizmos

I use either "application," "program," or "software." Fuck the normies and their "Apps" bullshit.

>unironically uses the word “lame”
Stay the fuck away from me

True, I'm surprised they aren't called 'apples' by now.

What really bothered me since day 1 of the app word being marketed at us, was that application is an inaccurate term to begin with. To compare a program and a paintbrush, the homework you do with the program would be the application of that program, much as the coat of paint you apply with a paintbrush is an application of paint. Of course, this all goes out the windows when you ask what to call the picture you drew in ms paint. Did you use the paint application to apply an application of paint?

See it's stupid, and it's always bothered me, and they only did it because the word app is like the word apple. Fucking money.

Don't talk shit until you learn how apostrophes are supposed to work.

Attached: thennow.png (500x393, 82K)

>2000s = applications
>late 2000s = apps
>who do we blame?
Apple

Saved. My pet-peeve trigger.

By some stupid cs java code that i read long time ago
App is any program that is not system software..

Who the fuck calls games and operating systems apps

When Apple put out the very first Macintosh in the 1980s, they started calling programs applications. Unironicly and seriously, that one is Apple's fault.

Linux kernel is now an “app”

>1980s = softs
I jacked into the Gibson and got burned by the ICE

>Programs
>not applications
pleb

the "app" as a concept is as old as small-system computing (mini, microcomputing) itself ffs

>prappications

They're called binaries, retard. Hence why they're in the bin folder.

Your mother for giving birth to a sperg like you.

Why is everything that has double letters repulsive?

>app
>nigg
>jevv

What's jevv? You mean Jeff?

Linus is a techtip, not an operating system

I'm gonna need more of her

Attached: 1479223752028.jpg (627x720, 229K)

SaaSS (Service as a Software Substitute), a program that you can't run on your own computer, it's instead *lended* to you by a server. Although JS code does run on your machine, it's often so obsfucated and dependent on the server that it's pretty much impossible to isolate it.
SaaSS denies you your freedoms even harder than propietary software, so we must kick it out of our society.
Further reading: gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html
You can find a list of libre replacements for SaaSS here: directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:SaaSS .

So how am I supposed to make money if I make my SaaS free(as in freedom)?

jew

Don't see double letters there though

Donations, technical assistance for companies, requiring a subscription to use your servers (the code would still be free, and anyone could host their own, but many people find it better to actually pay for a server than have it datamine them), advertisements (non-tracking), the list goes on.
Of course, you'll earn more money making it propietary, but you'll also earn more robbing people. This isn't about sheer profit, it's about ethics.
It's better to avoid SaaSS entirely, but as long as it's licensed under the AGPLv3 I don't find it THAT bad.

That doesn't really work for software aimed at consumers, but I guess most would be too retarded to run it themselves anyways. I'm still going to be a scumbag and not link to the GitHub on the site tho. I am Jewish after all.

Look, if people pay for Netflix when free (as in price and freedom) shit like Popcorn Time exists, then they're 100% gonna pay to use your servers.
And no, it's not about the selection of movies and shows. PT has even more, since it just torrents shit, instead of having to license it like Netflix.

>>waaaah language changes slightly over time
>Ebonics & pidgin languages are good
Muhlticulturéism

Brapplications

>saving shitty downscales from who knows where
I hope fucking byte-rotting data zombies eat your drives.

when you can download them in appstores.
ubuntu in the windows store is a fucking app.

Attached: 1353286249.png (800x600, 122K)

this desu

This, kids. Gather around and look.
This is why you don't use JPEG.

PNG master race, forever and always.
Say NO to .webp and resist Google's attempt at bandwidth savings as it is an even bigger threat to our internet's quality than JPEG.

They're both pngs

>They're both pngs
Lol, no.

This is a PNG

This is a JPEG disguised as a PNG. The lossy compression already took its toll, and it doesn't matter what it's re-saved as.

I'm uploading a downsized version of the real PNG to match the size of the JPEG and you can compare the two. The JPEG has ridiculous chroma subsampling, likely 4:2:0, and blocky artifacts all over. The effects of chroma subsampling are painfully obvious in the JPEG one. Just look at his gums there's no color. You'll see my upload is infinitely superior.

Attached: this is a real png.png (500x393, 78K)

i still use the old 'proggy/proggies' from time to time. i usually only use 'app' when talking about mobile shit

Attached: Ana-Sofia-Henao7.jpg (1024x768, 189K)

Can't the loss in quality be attributed to the image being reencoded multiple times?
Anyways, I agree that yours is smaller in size and looks better.

I prefer to use the term "GNU + App"

>Can't the loss in quality be attributed to the image being reencoded multiple times?
No. Just that it was once saved as an extremely low quality JPEG. You can save and re-save as PNG with zero loss in quality since it's lossless.

Somewhere along the lines an idiot turned that PNG into a JPEG and then turned it back into a PNG. It doesn't matter how many times you re-encode an image so long as you do it right - and by that, I mean using PNG.

Chroma subsampling is the bane of image quality and there are 3 modes.
4:4:4 which is essentially no subsampling
4:2:2 which means basically half the color detail
4:2:0 which is basically one quarter

Read more about that here
displayninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/4-4-4-vs-4-2-0.jpg

Truth is it's worse than it seems and causes massive color shifting and loss of detail. This is the main reason why his gums lost all their color.

'App' was always a term going all the way back to the '80s, 'Program' is also basically the 'App' of the '90s and 2000s. The correct term for when you want to sound smarter than you actually are is 'Application.'

>2000s
>buy program
>use it

>2010s
>"buy" program
>forced to use subscription to use it

Attached: ..something.png (153x151, 17K)

Apple os a true cancer

Also Java cancerous Applets

>nerd
>nerd
>nerd
>nerd
>nerd
Yeah, I think I'll stick to "app".

Don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation, but just wanted to correct your grammar mistake:
>*whom

WE NEED MO MONEY FO DEM APPS

Well thats just short for application and called app due to the 3 character file format limit, none one actually called it an app then