The future of Ubuntu

Serious question here: now that Ubuntu switched to Gnome and also experiments with its various features, how would these changes effect its user base?
I see many discussions on Jow Forums about how bad Ubuntu has become and some Anons hate the new Gnome desktop, so I thought it'd be productive to dedicate a thread to these problems.

Attached: ubuntu-girl_0.jpg (1600x1200, 216K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/JeOLo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Manjaro ftw

>being productive
>posting on Jow Forums
good meme user

I miss Unity so much

I hated unity. I started with gnome2 and loved its simplicity, customizability and speed. With the introduction of unity my desktop became unusable, it was slow, extremely unstable and hard to customize.

Therefore, I switched to fvwm crystal then, since I did not want to rely on stupid devs that push half- finished software. Gnome3 seems to be even worse.

I guess that fvwm-crystal will.be around for a few more decades, and that's all I need from ubuntu.

I guess that a lot of ubuntu users feel this way. This means that a lot of them will just get the.new.distro, but without using canonicals bloat.

I could switch to Debian as well, but Ubuntu has a larger user base, so better community support. I'm more lazy to switch than loyal to canonical.

it has been, is, and will be the non-autist's distro of choice for the foreseeable future

Go SuSe and never look back.

Fagboi suggests Ubuntu Archfag version

Don't know don't care. I use Fedora KDE now and if I don't stay here, I'm definitely not going back to Ubuntu or Gnome.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (225x225, 5K)

*tips*
I'm more of a Debian Xfce guy myself.
It's simply the only thinking man's choice.

Gnome has been shit since the late ‘90s. Back when of the original dipshit creators went on and on about how people were stupid for not understanding the “desktop metaphor” because they had tabs open to pages on different sites. Yeah, the dickshit was saying that you should open a window for each site and a tab for pages within each site because tabs are like pages in a book and a site is a like a book. You know, metaphors and shit. They haven’t gotten any less stupid in the mean time.

I thought that's Mint

Ubuntu 19.04 is comfy, it's getting a lot better with each new release based on the foot.

>gnome's various features

Attached: 1512585483595.jpg (600x512, 26K)

gnome is good, unironically the best de
the problem is it's overhead [maybe the compositor?] that makes normal stuff like scrolling in FF shitty or video playback or game play abysmal while the same work perfectly fine with no frame drop in any simple x wm like i3

I started with gnome2 too
Use MATE, fren

< He's got a point

>the future of Ubuntu
you're looking at it

Attached: 1024px-Xubuntu_logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 50K)

Since it's all Gnome anyway, there's no reason to use Ubango now

Attached: bedora.png (1938x1430, 109K)

sudo apt install differentdesktop
log out
choose user
select new desktop
OMG YOU CAN USE ANOTHER DESKTOP OF YOUR FUCKING CHOICE ON UBUNTU LIKE UBUNTU IS A FUCKING GNU/LINUX SYSTEM OR SOMETHING
Do you keep everything else you don't like that's installed by default on Ubuntu, too?

I am using Ubuntu 19.04 with Unity Desktop. See no reason why they ditched it. I really like the UI and it just works.

Less user desktop, more corporation office.

This, also install literally any other filebrowser, the default one sucks.

gg ez, i need a quick decent i3 setup I just install the manjaro edition and copy over my .xresources and .i3 conf. Cba to check out what else I've become used to with the default manjaro i3 install so I just go with that and start working.

people don't choose distros like ubuntu because they are gnu/linux. They want a complete desktop experience out of the... iso. In fact, this is the only thing that differentiates between distros that are based on another distro (debian, arch, etc)

>not choosing Ubuntu both because it just werks AND because it's modular

specific linux distro preference is for servers. nobody cares about desktops, just use what you like

Uh? The customized gnome in 18.04 LTS is very close to ubuntu, and less buggy (no bugs to this date).

same
I still consider it the only modern DE worth a shit.

Just a matter of time before its maintainers ask you to travel back in time .. archive.is/JeOLo

Strange. I was a fan of Unity too. However, canonical did a great job with customized gnome in 18.04. Honestly looks very close to unity. Maybe a little slower.

Nu/g/ just hates everything that is currently popular for no reason other than contrarianism. You can't take anything you read here seriously anymore.

When Ubuntu adopted Unity, Jow Forums nitpicked on the DE's negative points and shat on it all the fucking time even though Unity was mostly fine.
Then they ditched Unity for a modified GNOME environment and now your usual contrarian Jow Forumstard is hating on it and and praising Unity.

Ubuntu is fine. Unity was fine. I don't usually like GNOME but the way Ubuntu implemented it is just fine.

no global application menu and ootb:
- useless and slow animations all over the place
- all the glorious counter-intuitive UI of gnome 3
-- activities panel
-- no customizable hotkey configuration interface
-- miniature title bars
-- a dock + panel that take up an inexcusable amount of space when they should be a unified task bar instead
-- absence of options menu and configuration dialogs for vital components of the DE like nautilus and gedit
-- UI fractional scaling implementation is buggy as fuck
-- notifications for all kinds of shit no one should have notification for, like opening a new window in nautilus

yeah, it's nothing like unity, and it's gross, and you should feel bad for even comparing the two. unity became quick and stable, and was highly configurable simply through compiz. configuations stick and work. gnome3 is perpetual beta tier, slow, sloppy, and an over-engineered bloated mess that claims to offer simplicity because it lacks basic options that can be found in every other DE, and the third party tweak tools can't even keep up with gnome devs constantly making it harder to modify defaults.

It's nowhere close to the aesthetics of Unity.
Also GNOME won't ever come close to the genius of how Unity combines panel, menu bars and title bars because GNOME developers instead decided that title bars and menu bars should not exist and that the panel should be mostly empty space.
Last time I checked GNOME also didn't have anything like the HUD, another ingenious idea in Unity that works with established paradigms instead of throwing them out of the window.

You can put a thin coat of Unity paint on GNOME but it won't turn it into Unity.

Attached: Ubuntu_16.04_Desktop.png (1920x1080, 671K)

cringe
based

funny shit that everyone used to hate unity and now they want it back. you can still switch to it on login screen but it shares the gnome3 lag and bugs. you can somewhat revert ui with the tweaks app though