/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

!!! GUIX 1.0.1 is released gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/gnu-guix-1.0.1-released/ !!!

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1520477061609.jpg (300x272, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gentoo
youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo
archive.org/details/M00GNU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

systemd sucks

Looks like Intel are being gay again. AMD take my money.

Attached: takemymoneyfuture.jpg (1023x576, 102K)

you don't have to make posts like this for upvotes here

This is the most impressive shit I've seen today. distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gentoo
What do you think?

fpbp, take my updoot-I mean (You)

I’m getting into Linux system administration after having used Linux for several years. I don’t have experience in professional environment with Linux to do certain tasks as my personal needs haven’t called for it but while I’m learning, is there any advice as to what I should study? Book to read? Maybe some practice projects that I could expect to do in a job that I could get the hang of at home? I’m switching my career from HVAC/R to this. I’ve seen job postings from quite a few companies asking for knowledge to create software for development tools for their engineers. Is that a normal thing to do as a Linux system administrator? It sounds like they are trying to get a mixed bag of a sys admin and a programmer for cheap.

>tfw FX idiot
>tfw green across the board in spectre-meltdown-checker and the performance degrading vulnerabilities are all "not affected"

Attached: 1558004951074.png (535x523, 76K)

stop projecting, chucklefuck

Id juzt lige to inderject for a momend :DD wat you’re referrign to az LinuxXDDiz in factXDD GNU/LinuxXDD or az I’ve recendly tagen to gallign idXDD GNU pluz Linux :-DDDDDD

Install Gentoo

> The Tragedy of systemd
youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo

thank you Lennart, very cool

it's not lennart but it is a guy whose apologetic to systemd because he wants to bring it to some *bsd variant

>he wants to bring it to some *bsd variant
I unironically embrace the idea
freebsd is the only bsd that'd adopt such crap and when it does, people will finally see it for what it truly is and flee to other bsd's

He didn't really say that, just seemed rather disappointed with the bsd community having a regressive mindset about new ideas and modern implementations.

>new ideas and modern implementations
you mean bad ideas and shitty implementations

been a while since I watched the talk, but isn't the crux of it that he likes a lot of ideas that systemd brings to the table but thinks poettering/rhel fucked it up in typical poettering/rhel fashion and it's a shame because (in his opinion) *bsds need something similar to systemd and they're going to reject it after looking at systemd as an example?

*awards you reddit gold for your witty comment*

>wanting to bring systemd to BSDs
That guy cannot be fucking serious.

something similar to systemd*
might be more accurate to say that he thinks shell scripts are outdated and have issues that need to be resolved

>xscreensaver has a BSOD screen saver
Jesus I nearly had a heart attack

Oh good. Another unfriendly systemd thread.

Yes, but that wouldn't fit into those losers' headcanon.

some people are just obsessed with things they dislike

You can actually do some cool shit with xscreensaver. Have a retro terminal:
/usr/lib/xscreensaver/apple2 -text -fast -program /bin/bash

Attached: 1559151795335.webm (786x583, 2.84M)

interesting

Attached: 2019-05-29-135140_1624x840_scrot.png (1624x840, 213K)

Flying toasters were the zenith of screensaver technology.

hey lad I am posting from a TinyCore live USB and I gotta say its pretty comfy

ا subscribed

anarchy vs arcolinux vs archlabs
which will become the new antergos?

thank you I subscribe back

I have read several forum posts on how to change resolution but I still cannot succeed. Hope you are having a good day, friend

Can't people just use plain Arch?

haven't used any of these but probably manjaro

no, it's the battle of arch installers
manjaro uses its own repos

Why everyone wants to use Arch?

Cool screenfetch ascii

A second set of eyes checking packages for breaking xorg is just what Arch needs.

cept they cant even manage an ssl cert, 4 years in a row, going invalid, and their offical "fix" was to turn your clock backwards an entire week
Or the time they didnt sanitize their forums and god drop table'd....

please don't quotelink my shitty jokes ty

are there any programs or whatnot ot help me display the brightness/volume? I'm using Openbox and while I can change both volume and brightness a display showing the level would be nice, especially volume which I would just have to guess.

Can anyone with a Ryzen system tell me if AMD-v, aka SVM, can be used for two different type 2 hypervisors at the same time? For example, at least one hardware accelerated Virtualbox machine running alongside at least one hardware accelerated QEMU/KVM.
I'm using KVM for GPU passthrough, and Virtualbox for everything else on my current system.

Intel cannot run both at the same time with VT-x, and it is a huge problem for me on Skylake-X. I have to load and unload the kernel modules each time I want to switch between the two, so cannot run them at the same time.

After being locked in to the Intel ecosystem for so many years, it occurred to me that there might be another option with the latest Ryzen CPUs though.
I'm going to be using the 16 core or the new Threadripper when they come out if that matters.

Attached: qemu_kvm.png (229x177, 19K)

Please give me a reason to use fedora over anything from the debian family.

is that shit just ready to work user ? I don't see the plugged card in lspci/lsusb

Attached: HTB1H2ook4PI8KJjSspoq6x6MFXay.jpg (800x800, 127K)

You should just use KVM for everything. virt-manager gives you a very similar interface.

How do I manage (mainly delete) all the stuff I installed and no longer need?
There's isn't really a centralized list. I got all these weird dependencies and programs now I needed for other programs.
Most from apt install but some from snaps and some from manual installation and what not. I lost all overview.

LPT: If you install *anything* manually, make sure it ends up in ~/software (or whereever, as long it's in your home) and edit your PATH.

I take it back
it's uncomfy as heck
I feel like the scrubbiest noob because I can't make shit work
I wish I never tried this

>rpm is superior to deb
>optionally have an immutable OSTree system
>up-to-date software in the stable channel
>is actually stable
>a systemd setup that actually works
>doesn't rely on sysv scripts
>not patched to death
>adheres to standards
>very secure by default
With OSTree this cannot happen

unsubscribed.

cold

Not an answer to my question. They are different hypervisors with different strengths, weaknesses, and bugs. Suggesting that all jobs can be done on just one or the other means you probably aren't using them for much.

The question still stands.

I am a Fedora user.
>up-to-date software
relative to Ubuntu or Debian yes, but some packages are really outdated. Mesa and Chromium, for example.
>is actually stable
somewhat. Upgrading between major releases always breaks for me, so I'm forced to reinstall every 6 months.
>very secure by default
sort of. It has SELinux and packages are usually compiled with sane flags, but then again, it has a much greater attack surface because all of the Poetteringware.
>OSTree
last time I tried Silverblue it sucked. I believe it uses shit tonnes of virtualisation/FUSE crap just to achieve and immutable base system. You also have to restart after installing each package, and unless you use purely flatpaks, you lose some of the benefits of OSTree anyway.

do your grep and store result in variable

then do what you wrote in an simple if-then

if grep $VAR then ....

read about grep command in if construct
(if I remember well, a successfull grep should activate the first part of if-then, if grep "something" in $VAR is unsuccessful, then the else-part should be activated)

I took a screenshot but if I try to upload it to 4chin, firefox crashes because no file manager, I guess

I can get the GUI to launch but I cant make the install permanent on the USB stick, everything that I install just goes to shite once I reboot. I have read several threads that mostly say /git gud read the FAQ philosophy/

shouldve installed gentoo

So, is there any way to get more out of Gnome Boxes - on one hand, it's very slick and simple. On another it's too simple where i can't see any way to configure the virtual machines?

playing command line qemu is not hard brah.

Look at a few example, you'll memorize the most common options in no time.

How hard would it be to get Arch running for a guy that's just patient and willing to spend an afternoon searching how to use the terminal and stuff? Should I just go with Debian instead?

I tried Mint for a few weeks and it was OK but I had to install windows so now I want to just make a partition and run both W10 and some Linux distro.

>Mesa and Chromium
I am on Mesa 19.0.5, the latest release, from May 21 2019. Chromium is 73, so not terribly outdated either (74 is current stable). If you want to use Chromium, you might as well use Chrome or ungoogled-chromium, both of which provide more up-to-date versions for Fedora.
>Upgrading between major releases always breaks for me
Use Silverblue
>Poetteringware
Seems like RHEL doesn't care about that.
>shit tonnes of virtualisation/FUSE crap
Huh? It uses fs namespaces, bind mounts and maybe overlayfs, nothing terribly complicated. Not a single FUSE driver. Also, why would it need virtualisation?
>have to restart after installing each package
You can do multiple packages in one go, even multiple different operations. Having to reboot is kind of necessary to achieve the immutable thing, although they are working to have a live-remount system for purely additive changes to the system (just installing packages), which can be used right now but is considered unstable. For throwaway package installs, you're supposed to use Fedora Toolbox, which is essentially a transparent unprivileged container with dnf.
>unless you use purely flatpaks, you lose some of the benefits of OSTree anyway
?

speaking of...

emerge: (175 of 193) dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.12.3 Compile

Good thing I can leave this running overnight.

Attached: 1491950499654.gif (184x84, 7K)

MooGNU has a cute story: archive.org/details/M00GNU

>Manjaro KDE
I have this strange X cpu usage when plugging/unplugging any usb INPUT device, be it a keyboard, mouse and even my x360 controller and KDE freezes for like 30 seconds. Googled a lot but couldn't find a fix/workaround that worked for me for this annoying bug. Uninstalled xmodmap because I thought it was the problem but it didnt help. Lets hope some user has met with this bug and knows if it can be fixed!
pic related - unplugged my $5 usb mouse

a logout and logging in again fixes it but as kde freezes even the app launcher doesn't open

Attached: Screenshot_20190530_021524.png (1364x768, 240K)

Lately, my xorg has been completely fucked up. Sometimes it just completely locks up and I can't do anything, not even switch to a different tty. Sometimes it happens right when I startx, sometimes when opening a program (has happened with both termimal and firefox in the past) or when shutting down.
The only thing I can do is a hard reset via power button.

It started about a month ago, and I've since reinstalled trying to fix it, but to no avail. Then, earlier today I finally realized I should look at dmesg, and foud out the cause is a kernel paging error caused by the amdgpu module.
This is on Arch Linux (btw), and no, pacman didn't fuck up my xorg.conf. That is still tthe way it should be.

Does anyone have any tips, or similar experiences?

Does CloverOS even work. The installation process stalls at Xorg

Anyone having trouble installing Arch is just too stupid to rmfollow instructions. When I first installed it I just followed the video of this one bald goateed youtuber, confirming every step on the wiki to see if anything had changed, and only running each command after I understood what it did.
I had no real experience with Linux, and I only knew the command line from messing around with Dosbox and a raspi.

The whole thing took one afternoon, and another one to get X running.

Why are people massive dick on irc ? like is there an actual reason ?

Redpill me on Void. Give me the
>Pros
>Cons
>Other interesting things

Install gentoo

Pros: No systems
Cons: No systemd, Luke Smith uses it

What is the QRD on Pantheon? Any glaring problems (actual problems, not the fact it's a macOS clone)? I know the UI will be considered haram here, but I'm interested in trying something new for a little bit. Also how much of a macOS clone is it? I've never used it.

No offense, but in my experience the answer is overwhelmingly because you did something to deserve it.
Unless you're talking about something like 4chans IRC, but if you're talking about technology IRC channels then it's like I said.

I have never once been treated poorly in any tech communities, or IRC channels, and I only ever see someone being mistreated when they're acting like they're entitled to something. They'll show up practically demanding that their problem be given attention, or if someone doesn't respond immediately they start dropping passive aggressive threats like
>hmmm, guess nobody knows maybe I'll use instead
crap like that doesn't deserve to be shown any respect.

that probably depends on the channel

it's like arch if simplicity still meant something
runit boots fast and xbps installs packages fast
everything is on github so it's very easy to contribute to (if shit's broken/missing/outdated you get to fix it for others too)

cons: it's not gentoo and the most active contributor quit recently

If your question is not perfectly formed and totally on point they just dismiss me has a retard and totally ignore me generally

That what i like with discord and sending quick screenshot and video and people are generally nicer

Ubuntu Mate 19.04

How to make screen split for 2x2 for fullscreen apps, so I can place fullscreen apps (like mpv) to each of them?

Attached: 1555119083612.jpg (1280x720, 146K)

I'm still skeptical.
I mean, I've been using communities like that for over 20yrs and for the longest time I always would hear stories about these legendary "jerky communities" and I just believed them. But it was really always like some mythical beast to me because I'd never seen one.

Either you just keep getting unlucky and running into "that one troll" who hangs around certain channels (and has probably been banned multiple times) and you're mistaking that for the attitude of the whole community, or you're being unfair/disrespectful to the people who frequent the channel without realizing it.

Anyone have I guideline for what settings I should have checked on my Gentoo kernel config if I have an NVIDIA GPU. Last time I installed Gentoo, I encountered a ton of problems and I couldn't even reboot without holding the power button.

Discord is IRC for beta retards.
weeb

>installing spyware

anime website

Containment boards.

You need to go back.

ok, I understand GNU's point, but I just don't like the aesthetic side of it all
Is there a free software distro that's not nerdy and is hip?
please no trisquel or parabola or guix

Check out distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gentoo

>aesthetic
In what way? It's not like there's some default GNU desktop

tried this lutris thing out its pretty cool, got the game i wanted to get running doing so painlessly.

hi frens,
can I remote into a windows PC usinga citrix client on void linux?
THANKS!

Neck yourself contrarian.

I need to in order to remote in for work!

Good to hear man!
I use it for all of my old cd installer games.

What I mean is, all I see is a kind of political activist distros, purity cult preaching distros, scientific research distros, which are either hostile or indifferent to artists, their vision, their sensibilities and their needs.
as an artistic type, I simply can't fucking stand all these approaches and people associated with them and consider them one-dimensional, no matter how true they may be in the end. I see that there is some truth, but I think their truth can't spread further because of their idiotic, narrow monastic mentality that fails to recognize subjective needs of people and is unaware of their psychological subtleties.

I said free, as in no proprietary software included

Sounds more like you've just been listening to too many memes from kiddies talking about this stuff and not getting a lot of information straight from the horses mouth.
Also you may be mistaking a simple lack of accommodation for your needs (due to most contributors being very tech oriented types) as confirmation of those memes and that they're somehow "hostile" to it when that's not the case.

>which are either hostile or indifferent to artists, their vision, their sensibilities and their needs.
Because, on average, software developers are not artists. They have no clue about artists' needs and they personally don't really care either. They, on average, care even less about art than most non-software-developers. Also you're not paying them to care and you certainly don't seem to be contributing code.
You're demanding shit to be done for you for free, which is not how it works.

>people will finally see it for what it truly is
and what it truly is?

>Also you're not paying them to care and you certainly don't seem to be contributing code.
I don't think your attitude reflects the overall developer attitude at all, and that sentence I quoted makes you sound a bit like the average edgy Jow Forums elitist.

Most developers would be happy to have more users, even artists and any other non-tech oriented types.
Just because they don't go out of their way to accommodate them doesn't mean they agree with your elitist attitude, it just might mean they don't think it's their job (e.g. following the Unix way might mean they want to build the bare bones CLI software only and then let someone who's more understanding of an artists needs build a GUI for it).
Often that just doesn't happen though, but it's not because nobody cares.

Will removing Win 7 from my old ass laptop and replacing it with a distro improve performance?

Install GuixSD