At the end of this June Microsoft will ship it's own Linux Kernel with WSL2...

At the end of this June Microsoft will ship it's own Linux Kernel with WSL2. It will support all system calls not supported before + it will add 9Plan file sharing protocol to share files between WSL2 host and Windows machine.
How can one company be so based? It's over folks. Press S to spit on all distros grave. Linux for Desktops is dead. I don't see any reason to use it anywhere other than servers.

> youtu.be/lwhMThePdIo

Attached: Screenshot_20190529-222541.png (2560x1312, 441K)

When's Windows kernel for Linux coming out? I want my Win32 programs.

ever heard of wine ?

Yeah and only like 2 gayms work on it lul. Not to mention with no sound.

Not really. They're running their own instance of the Linux kernel. They didn't reimplement it.

Shitpost harder.

"ships"
"shipping"
I keep hearing this but how are they able to ship GPL software with non GPL compliant licensed software?

Even if they upstream changes for distribution you still can't shit non compliant code.
It can be user installed afterwards but not "shipped"

Same reason why we can't sell ZFS+media codecs preinstalled.

>given Windows laptop for job
>install WSL
>do literally all work in either WSL or a web browser
>still have to deal with Windows updates
>still have to deal with random occasional bluescreens
>hardware interoperability is shit, difficult to interface with devices in the lab
>realize I never actually confirmed that I needed to use Windows
>management says to use whatever helps me get the job done best
>IT guy doesn't care as long as he doesn't have to do anything for it
>install Linux on laptop
>much happier
Don't know why you'd run a good OS inside of a shitty OS instead of just running the good OS.
You run Windows if you play games, and then you don't need WSL at all. If you need Windows-only software for your job, you run Windows in a VM on Linux (if it doesn't already work in wine). Otherwise you just run Linux alone. There's no situation where WSL on Windows is actually useful or worthwhile, unless it's been arbitrarily made your only choice.

This just means we're one step closer to the Year Of The Plan 9 Desktop.

>muh fortnite and pubg don't work on linux
grow up

If I had to guess, WSL probably just downloads the binaries instead of including them.
Can't get sued over a download link, can you?

If you want to run Windows and play games you can do it on top of Linux with Wine, which works better than Windows for many many essential classic games, or you can run Windows in a VM with passthrough for muh pay to win lootbox modern gayming. It's extremely easy to set up either or both and then you only have to deal with the constant Windows Updates inside your VM.

>you can run Windows in a VM with passthrough
That's what I do for playing VR games, but I would never recommend it to the average gamer over just a native Windows install.

Why not? It's dead simple to do (there are scripts and guides if you need them) and it runs your games as fast as native if you have anything approaching a modern CPU.

Windows is a huge hassle and VM passthrough gaming is a great way to wean people off the MS botnet. With most distros people never need to even touch the terminal these days, even a /v/tard can handle it.

>It's dead simple to do and it runs your games as fast as native
You don't need to convince me. I already do it.
But I think you're overestimating the average gamer

Why the fsck would a free man want a botnet layer of M$/spyware under his GNU+Linux when he could run it on bare metal???
Wintoddlers, I swear. Not a brane between the lot of them.

Nah it's dead simple, and more and more people will be doing it as time goes on simply because it's easier.

>How can one company be so based?
Not even an open source operating system, shit, not even an open source kernel. Apple and Google would be way more based by your standards.

No it's not. Sorry to bust your bubble. Proton is easy. Wine is not.

>it will add 9Plan file sharing protocol to share files between WSL2 host and Windows machine.

Will that really be better than the direct harddrive access we currently have or SMB?

I reall don't want to do remote development when either indexing the project will take forever because it's on the Linux side or when running it takes forever because it's on the Windows side and the protocol overhead is too large.

As long as you don't link against it, the jewish GPL doesn't activate. They only need to provide modifications for the Linux kernel and other GPL software, not their own.

*deletes ur doc folder

Actually it's really easy these days, I play pirated Windows games and the only thing I had to do was change from Windows 10 to Windows XP on winecfg, now I just mount the iso (on Nautilus I just had to double click) and double click the exe. I have even shortcuts on my desktop.

>jewish GPL

No thanks I don't play normie games.

Don't you need a dedicated GPU for passthrough?

PlayOnLinux is a GPL'd front end to WINE which makes it even easier to install a gayme than it is on Windows.

If I remember correctly, these days you can use the integrated GPU for Linux and the dedicated for the Windows VM.

Well fuck me for not running an APU then. So should I feed my good card to the VM and get a cheap beater for Linux or keep the good card in Linux and get a better card for the VM?

>Don't you need a dedicated GPU for passthrough?
Yes, but that doesn't mean you need two GPUs
My machine just has one discrete GPU that I blacklist from Linux and passthrough to any Windows VM. I access the machine over ssh, like I'd do anyway for any Linux system. The host does not need a GPU at all unless you want to run graphical applications on it too.

Assuming you want good performance in the VM, you should pass the good card to the VM and give the host the shitty card.

over at plebbit/r/vfio we use integrated graphics (intel) or APU (amd) for the linux desktop since it's so minimal and effecient.
Also intel and AMD have upstream drivers so it's in the kernel and no rebuilding kernel modules.

The more powerful GPU is utilized for windows since it's bloated and will be running the games directly.

If you want to go furthur you can utilize IOMMU which allows the GPU to be passed through to the VM without any middleman to allow a almost native experience. (95-98% graphical acceleration of native speed)

This is especially useful if you use Nvidia since it generally runs better using windows drivers anyway and you don't need to use a kernel module anymore.

I'll keep using GNU.

I'm running a 2700X so no integrated graphics. I think I'll probably need a beyyer card than the 1060 I have now for VR (what the VM is for) so I'll just save up for that I guess.

>I think I'll probably need a beyyer card than the 1060 I have now for VR
I pass an RX 580 to my VR VM and it's been able to play anything I throw at it just fine.

Sounds like MS is reaping the benefits of the linux kernels licensing, while not providing anything of their own.
Theyd be based if they, in addition to this, allowed linux users to run win32 on their systems, rather than necessitating reliance on wine.
Also bloat

I'm on the same boat, I could buy a cheap discrete GPU but I'm lazy.

what hmd though? I'm looking to get the Valve Index which runs at 1440x1600 per eye @120Hz. I know the 1060 will run a Vive okay but that's easily half the Index spec-wise.

>wsl2 requires hyper-v
>gaming pc is now a toaster
>adds so much latency to your input devices it feels like google stadia

Attached: p.jpg (266x262, 48K)

>I access the machine over ssh, like I'd do anyway for any Linux system. The host does not need a GPU at all unless you want to run graphical applications on it too.
This seems unnecessarily complicated. If you have another computer to ssh from, why not just run Win10 native on the other?

>Embrace
>Extend
>Extinguish
I don't trust any of this bullshit.

They are contributing to Wine project since the begining. Oh you think wine devs reversed engineered whole windows to run apps in Linux without any help from Microsoft, right?

>occasional bluescreens

Attached: 1559071755017.png (453x470, 188K)

retard, nucrosoft needs to contribute back what they do to the kernel.
they are going to push forward linux and probably are going to donate to linux so it works with more devices.

I too can pull shit out of my ass.

so 2019 is the year of the Linux desktop???

>If you have another computer to ssh from, why not just run Win10 native on the other?
Because the other machine I ssh from is a 10 year old laptop that isn't particularly well suited for running games? Are you retarded?

>run Linux on the laptop
>run Windoes on the desktop
Are YOU retarded?

I'm not going to run Windows on bare metal on any machine I own. What did you think the point of running it in a VM was in the first place?

[citation needed]

that's why I asked, nigger

What does having another computer capable of running ssh (ie any computer) have to do with not running Windows in a VM?

Hmm. I can’t see any possible purpose for this.

What do you use your headless Linux PC for besides hosting the Windows VM, that your laptop can't do?

No they arent you moron.

It's also a web server, file server, and I sometime use it for compilation or other CPU heavy tasks since it's my beefiest local machine.

I use my laptop pretty much exclusively as a dumb terminal for accessing my servers, where I do all my actual work. That and a web browser.

This finally answers my questions, thank you.

> 9Plan
lol

Hardware support on some things. Linux on Surfaces still sucks, for example.