DE/WM recommendations

my Linux Mint install broke so i'm gonna move my files to backup and install Debian stable with no wm/de and installing everything I want from there. I'd love some window manager/desktop environment suggestions with screenshots if possible. Flame wars welcome.

Attached: 1499986323643.jpg (711x713, 41K)

Shameless self bump

Nice digits. I like XFCE, but then I'm a bit of a minimalist. Although in case you want to go for some serious minimalism, I've found a minimal Debian install with Openbox to be really comfy.

I3 or open box or xfce or cinnamon. Rest are crap

Xfce and be done with it.

Attached: Captura de pantalla_2019-05-30_00-36-10.png (1600x900, 1.64M)

i like i3wm but it's pretty autism tier if you don't like configuring everything. I'd say either Xfce or KDE.

EXWM, the EMACS window manager.
sage for low quality thread

I've been using Fluxbox since forever. It provides me with just about enough configuration alternatives to spank everyday problems into submission.

The difference between DE and WM is the dedication to minimalism and ease of use. If you want settings panel, already finished menus, start menus, use a DE. Any will do. Xfce is minimal, for a DE. KDE is more complete, but also bloated.

WMs are for people who usually switch alot between windows and have alot open at the same time, while keeping the system minimal.

Tiling WM for usability, floating WM for looks and simplicity. Tiling WMs can be Bspwm, i3, AwesomeWM, dwm. Floating WMs include Openbox/Fluxbox/derivatives, etc.

dwm for tiling and Fluxbox for stacking.

GNOME

dwm or lumina
enlightenment is worth a try

my personal favorite is TDE

Install dwm with gaps, regular dwm is just... Meh, when stuff doesn't fully cover the screen

>Bspwm
yes

i3wm if you want something similar

Xfce or Enlightment for minimal DEs
Openbox for WM
I'm curious about how Mint broke

Please humor a techlet here.
How specifically is openbox lighter than an actual desktop environment? When people post screenshots of it, you got your taskbar and/or dock, you got windows you drag around with a mouse and all that.
So what ISN'T there?

Budgie

Cinnamon desktop is GOAT IMHO senpai

>Bulgie
UwU

This stupid shit shouldn't be making me laugh.

I've seen people shill WindowMaker, is there anything great about it in terms of usability?
I've downloaded it for the memes but i'm yet to find a reason to switch from xfwm4.

Fuck, I'm switching to Deepin n-
OH FUCK

Cinnamon is great if you just want to work rather than spend an entire day ricing.

Also how did your Mint break? It's stable as fuck.

Probably retarded collisions between Mint and Ubuntu packages that break your shit when upgrading. Seen it first-hand several times on Ubuntu-based distros.

I literally just uninstalled Linux Mint MATE to install Debian MATE an hour ago

Attached: DebianMATE.png (1366x768, 42K)

>I should develop a NEW desktop environment that fulfills the exact same role as one or more of the existing ones!
Why does this happen so often? Why do cinnamon and budgie have to exist separately? What does mate do that can't be accomplished with xfce? I'm not into tiling WM but there's a number of those too and I bet my ass they don't differ much.

Good to keep in mind. That's why I try to stick with the official repositories if possible.

Why not go for LMDE then?

i3 is garbage and not similar to dwm becsuse DWM is dynamic

Debian + xfce for windows XP users (move panel down to bottom of screen and remove second panel)

openbox + tint2 panel for minimal desktop.

I like XFCE but it has a tearing problem when scrolling that MATE does not have.