LXDE

Why is it so comfy, and why did the developers drop it in favor of the much worse LXQt?

Attached: LXDE_desktop_full.png (801x601, 260K)

>the much worse LXQt?
This is what bugs me the most.
I hope someone forks the original LXDE, or continues it. Because so far LXQt is complete garbage.

why is LXQt garbage?

It's basically a fucking KDE but ugly.

You guys seem to be new....

It's like that. Lxde, as a gtk based desktop envrioment is 2d. It already won't work proberly on dri drivers on Linux. You'll get screen tearing and stuff. While you can still use it in x11, there is Almost no chance for it to run on Weston. Qt supports 3d so it's easier to "port" it to qt than gtk3+.

You'll need 3d accerelation. Because there are no good open 3d drivers you'll need binary blobs with malicious code inside.

Binary blob acceptance... Welcome to the great Linux freedom sellout conspiracy!

you must be retarded if you cannot differentiate between 1) a toolkit, and 2) its implementation

theres lxde, a lightweight, simple, polished, and stable implementation of gtk
and lxqt, a not-as-lightweight, overly complicated, instable, and unpolished implementation of qt

>is GTK
Exactly you numbskull! All major GTK based DEs already transistioned to gtk3. They went qt because it already has the building Blocks they need because those lazy lxde guys didn't want to port everything to gtk3.

Gtk3 and qt come with 3d accerelation only design. That's why they got pushed (kde4, gnome3) even though sane people hated it.

>why did the developers drop it in favor of the much worse LXQt?
That was the original plan, but they decided against it. LXDE is still being developed, just at a slower pace.

The usage of Qt doesn't automatically make it like KDE.

They decided to use Qt, because it's easier to find developers for it. Same reason as to why they switched to C++.

i'm still using lubuntu 16.04 and am nervously eyeing the calendar. lxde has major problems especially ubuntus fork and it's application limitations and use of god awful gnome shit. i seriously doubt i'll like lxqt from what i've seen so far. am i an /archguy/ now?

lxqt is really a combination of different projects (mostly the former Razor-qt) and not an actual attempt to port lxde to qt framework, like people got their mistaken impression.
the one major lxde legacy in the project is the file manager.

as someone who tried razor when that was a thing, im pleased with how it has turned out, but i think that lumina is a serious contender that lxqt could learn a few things from.

KDE/Qt jews.
I'll continue to use the finished product lxterminal and pcmanfm

this reads like an automated post bot. It doesn't make sense at all.

LXQt worse? It's my go-to DE for xorgxrdp configurations. It's very light on dependencies on debian.

Trinity needs to come back.

>and not an actual attempt to port lxde to qt framework
True, but it was the plan to focus exclusively on LXQt, until they decided to keep developing LXDE in 2016 iirc.

>lumina

Attached: 1528911111135.png (436x263, 144K)

it never went away
see q4os and exe gnu/linux

My only experience with LXDE was with Lubuntu. Shit was so buggy it was unbearable.
Have to try with something else though.

Because the main developer got sick of the fuckery that gnome and gtk have imposed to everyone.
I can just imagine how tired of it he was for trowing everything and started again from almost scratch because of the foot niggers

Wait till you use lumina

just because it's deprectated doesn't mean it wont work. Who cares.

> Why is it so comfy
Because it look like a legacy system from 2003 and it was your childhood.

I've used LXDE on debian since I switched to linux. Why should I waste any more than the bare minimum processing power on a desktop than I have to?

lxde is best on virtual machines. fast and minimalistic.

I was here when it happened and threads showing promise of LXQt being almost as light as LXDE. It's been a few years already, has that changed?

almost as light, but less features and more bugs

Lubuntu 18.04 still uses classic LXDE

Being lightweight is still one of LXQt's goals, but it's not the main focus as with LXDE. The memory usage is somewhat worse as a result.

Attached: DE_Memory_Benchmark_2018_07_28.png (1280x720, 448K)

16.04 is barely capable of databasing like it says on the box with my P4 in 18.04 they upped the ram requirements as well. literally backwards as logic for a supposed lightweight OS catering to obsolete hardware.

look at that fucking slope. can they stop inserting their micro dicks into all of our operations?

>openbox: 71
Still too much.

You have to remember that the 71MB RAM usage are with xterm and PCManFM open.

I don't really understand why RAM usage is a big deal.
Isn't used fracture of processing time a more relevant metric?

bloated shit leaks eventually
any linux kernel journaling over 200MBs is unstable these days
might as well use win10 home if you don't like tight system control for lightweight linux DEs

>mate
>174mb

Attached: 1537904733323.jpg (768x836, 81K)