I still remember these

Attached: levyke.jpg (500x374, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mentalfloss.com/article/87291/youve-got-mail-history-aols-free-trial-cds
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

well done

>getting nostalgic for a 1.44MB memory card
zoomer pls

I used to share DOS games on 3"1/2 floppies with my neighbor .

You'd have to have Alzheimer's not to.

Attached: 1549225997209.gif (500x500, 55K)

Make floppies floppy again

The last batches that I used were terrible and would fail all the time.

Why do these stupid anime gifs always make me smile.

My little anime posters CANNOT BE THIS CUTE!

Based Flopald Flump poster

wtf are you talking about? I use the save icon every day

I still have my (presumably useless) 8bit tapes

Attached: rfder.jpg (750x856, 97K)

I still remember these

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 24K)

What’s with the save icon?

What’s this ball holder for?

You're not old for remembering diskettes or mouse balls, you fucking yoomer millennials.

>being proud of being old

Respect your elders.

Attached: boomer-zoomer.jpg (1280x1447, 422K)

>I still have my (presumably useless) 8bit tapes
tapes last a staggeringly long time if looked after and not thrashed from continual use.

This. This is why we still run backups on tapes and store it in a fireproof safe.

zoomers are retards. what did you expect? rational replies? well thought out replies? you're dreaming ;)

SSD's in the floppy format
>have a floppy rack on the front of your computer that can hold atleast a dozen
>convert the dvd reader in your laptop for a floppy reader
>dont have to screw them in like a retard
>can hold atleast a few TB each
>can write stuff on them
>look cool as fuck

They used to get gross inside.

Attached: oldfloppydisk1905.jpg (1251x1200, 526K)

Amiga games for me. Used to go up the Sunday market and buy pirated Amiga games as well as demoscene and music disks. Would come home and boot up the Amiga and music disk and listen to it will painting my 40k army.

When I eventually sold my Amiga, it went with half a dozen 100 disk storage boxes. Mostly containing pirated games and demoscene / music disks.

Flicking through the storage box to find a disk because you didn't keep your shit in order was annoying.

Friendly reminder that pic related went out of fashion before we stopped using this or this.

Attached: dancingbaby.gif (220x200, 223K)

i do not miss cleaning this things
after playing quake on one of these, i'll never need a $60 gayming mouse

Deprecated technology for deprecated people

Attached: AA40C9DB-69E4-4CDC-82D3-AC2BBBC6EC54.gif (511x512, 139K)

Only had a few floppy disks lying around but scarcely used them.
t. 1998

Funny that you'd say that when posting on Jow Forums, which was launched by a boomer anime weeabo when we still used diskettes and optical mouses were still very rare.

I still remember these.

Attached: AOL011.jpg (928x958, 497K)

What are those?
>t. non-american

the amiga was such an awesome time for me in that area. pirate software, bulletin boards, awesome european demo scene that made USA rage with jealousy (even up to this day). mac/pc/atari fags getting slapped around like bitches. man, it was beautiful experience being involved in all of that.

We used to use them as coasters we got them through the door so often.

when I was 13 I got kicked out of a wal-mart for trying to take like two dozen of them from the stand by the electronics section

I'm not American either, I'm in the UK. But during the 90s, AOL bulk mailed those CD Roms regularly. They were for 56k dial up subscriptions when we were getting them.

cool

What did they contain?

>They were for 56k dial up subscriptions when we were getting them.
In Norway we had something else, but yeah, I see. Thanks.

I still remember these

Attached: i.png (531x547, 285K)

i still use the original ipod touch 32gb. it has never failed me. jailbroken too. love it.

Good old floppies. Used to gift floppies with pirated games to schoolmates in elementary school. Good times.

>What did they contain?
Their "internet suite" kind of thing. It was a whole big thing containing an application to connect to the internet, a browser, in built mail (with the ubiquitous 'You've got mail' sound). Like today, you would say someone is so stupid they think Google is the Internet, AOL was so prolific, and the suite self contained, that people thought AOL was the internet.

mentalfloss.com/article/87291/youve-got-mail-history-aols-free-trial-cds

>remember
All I need to do is lean back and reach to the side.

Attached: sips.jpg (1040x780, 166K)

WTF is that?

Free dial up was so shitty back then I remember how AOL was an actual upgrade. Felt so much faster/snappier, and reliable.

>30-40 year lifespan
is closing in

3D printed save button

Pretty clever marketing I guess. What happened to AOL? Did it die out with ISDN or broadband?

AOL messenger just closed down last year

The two people that still used it are gonna miss it a lot.

I don't miss them at all

I remember having Lilo on a floppy, so my pc would boot into slackware when ot was inserted and into xp when not.
I'm not a boomer tho, I was just a kid back then with my boomer dad setting that shit up. I remember playing that game where tux slides down a snowy mountain. I think playi.g that was all I ever did with linux back then.

yep, those were the good times.

My high school library still sold them. That was 10 years ago.

Now that's longevity

I use floppies at work.

reminder, 1999 was 20 years ago

Now that's a depressing thought. Where did my life go?

Attached: pepe-1990.png (500x500, 55K)

I remember trying to install mandrake 8 on a pentium mmx with 700mb hdd.
The installer stubbornly refused to install. I wonder why.

lol, 3d you printed a save icon?

No, you don't.

dat imgur joke is getting stale, kid.

If you work in engineering, floppies are still all over the place. CNC stuff and robotic machines and the like can start at tens of thousands of dollars and run into hundreds of thousands and even millions of dollars in cost. It's not cost effective to replace them until they completely and absolutely break down or replacement parts are no longer available. You'll find places across your country using machines that are from the floppy era and the only way to get schematics onto them is floppy disks, or over serial console. New machines will even have floppy drives, along with USB and other modern connections just for the curmudgeonly old fuck that refuses to modernise.

Even longer when you realize 2009 was 15 years ago.

>needing to install a shitload of drivers just to get the OS into an operational state
Good riddance to that shit. I'm glad most devices are just Plug-and-play nowadays.

I still remember these.

Attached: uploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F975440%2Fd986abcb-f9fe-4af3-939b-f86a212f9adb.jpg%2F950x534__filters%3Aqual (950x534, 74K)

Actually I do, our company is retarded and most of our wafer probers can only hold floppies. The only one we have that has USB ports has a fucking floppy drive connected to it with a bunch of Chinese written on it.

Why did you 3d print a save icon ?

Two sided AF

>t. non-american
if you don't know what the pic is, then why did you refer to it as "those" instead of "this", which would mean that you do know what it is

those seems right. as there were millions of these discs produced that ended up used or in landfill. take your english course over to reddit, you sad cunt.

not sure, is this etotama or haruhi?

the floppys were rewritable, so id always take them in lieu of buying any.
the cds were useless for anything other than coasters
though, i knew some people that would hang them on their porch or windows to scare off birds

I was going through some of the compactors at work, throwing some of the old shit out. I came across a sealed packet of Lexmark drivers for Windows 3.1. I was honestly astounded. Old technology just seems weird, where as an older book seems normal. I do not understand the cognitive disassociation I have with older technology, or processing the fact that tech is not new.

Go fuckyourself

Used to take the balls out of them in the school mice and peg them at one another

Never really understood until I got older exactly why the teachers would get so upset about the ball being gone

You will eventually be old and have nostalgia for current shit, zoomer.
*sips yerba mate*

Haruhi

It's kinda hard to forget the save button when it's in every app.

>levyke
They're spelling at the market square.

And yes, I remember. Also the pleasant sound of inserting the disc in the drive is like the pleasing aroma of a burnt offering to the Lord.

Maybe he works in a nuclear silo?
Heard from someone who is a pilot that many planes today still have systems that work with floppys and shit

I used to collect them, when I helped my mom purge the house last year I went into my old room and wound up hauling out a garbage bag filled with AOL disks. Some of them had really neat designs though.

>he doesn't tune his autoexec.bat

Attached: 6ypqZ6G.gif (689x300, 7K)

>I can't stop this feeling
>Deep inside of me
>Girl, you just don't realise
>What you do to me

I'd honestly be kinda into resurrecting the floppy form factor as a high capacity flash memory disc.

>3D print a save icon

Am I supposed to be impressed?