So yeah, been on ubuntu for a year now. What distro should I try next? Most I do is webdevelopment...

So yeah, been on ubuntu for a year now. What distro should I try next? Most I do is webdevelopment, writing scripts and use docker.

Attached: 3512635.png (225x225, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/microsoft/terminal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If it works it works. Don't change distros unless there's a real reason to switch. For example, I switched to Void because I hate how Debian/Debian based distros have systemd and (imo) are bloated. I didn't like Devuan because it was just a older version of Debian with bad repos.

Attached: 1552343446246.jpg (660x680, 41K)

>webdev
stay on ubuntu or install windows

You literally can't do any Web dev on windows

Why?

just install the new terminal virtualization shit they released lately.
and you can use all the adobe programs you need for your web design

Webdev on windows
>putty
>winscp / filezilla
>virtualbox
>xampp

Thanks for the tip dude, the reason I even switched to ubuntu was so I didn't have to do all that shit. I'm not going back to windows.

Developing on windows is like putting feathers up ur ass. Whatever you do, your eggs will always be covered in shit.

Is there a huge difference between ubuntu and debian?

you just get your answer here
github.com/microsoft/terminal
now back to your usless node-js project fag

Trisquel

This is also the tip most people on youtube give. I'm perfectly happy with ubuntu (18.04) though, however, there are so many distro's, I'm just curious if there are other ones out there that makes some stuff even easier.

ubuntu simply took debian builds and mashed it up with DE and shits
also all the development are done in debian

Clear Linux

chrome os or chromium os.

At first I wondered how can you call ANY distro bloated when literally all of them are half as heavy as Windows at most and should run perfectly on anything.
Then I went to Jow Forums's desktop thread and noticed all the 1366x768.

why?? tell me about that repo

Just a different set of tools brah

All I know is Debian and it's derivatives tend to be good go it's for new users vs distros like Arch, Gentoo or Void (plus their derivatives) that tend to be aimed at more experienced users (or at the very least used by more advanced users). Besides that research as much as you can on different distros and see if it would be a good fit for you. You can also make life easier by messing with your system and configuring it, like messing with your .bashrc for example.

this

Also the fact that Ubuntu now has the same spec requirements as Windows because they bloated it to hell by fucking with the system itself and using GNOME3 :(

>Also the fact that Ubuntu now has the same spec requirements as Windows because they bloated it to hell by fucking with the system itself and using GNOME3 :(
this
fucking shame
should've either kept Unity or made XFCE/MATE/Cinnamon the default desktop, but not fucking Gnome 3

try macOS

If you want something completely different, but cool -- try NixOS. If you this new thing to just work, try Fedora. Ubuntu is fine tho.

Attached: 1548013748410.jpg (1024x768, 84K)

There are official flavors with xfce and mate though. And flavors is what you should be using anyway, since they don't come with a goddamn amazon icon or some other canonical diagnostic shit.

But debian uses gnome too...

Only on a live session, installer lets you pick a DE from a decent list.

Don’t. Stay on Ubuntu. You’ll waste so much time distrohopping and still never be satisfied. There is no perfect distro without any flaws.

At least it’s getting better though. Ubuntu 19.04 actually seems pretty decent.

They seem to go in a bizarre direction with snap packages though. On 19.04 shit like calculator or system monitor are installed as snaps and react MUCH slower than their dpkg equivalents.

They’ve been snaps since 18.04 afaik

If you intend to use stock ubuntu with gnome, unironically use pop_os instead.

Ok let's not get carried away. Cold boot of a debloated W10 still eats 1.5GB of RAM, gnome needs something like 800MB.

PopOS! is a much more polished than ubuntu.

install gentoo.

Eh, it mostly just saves you the time and effort of debloating Obongo by yourself. Though I do like how their sidebar behaves by default, and that they offer a slim mode for window titlebars.

Just pick one until you like one. Also, one without Amazon I guess?

1. Install pop os
2. Install unity