Does the UK have any good ISP? What's the point of all this "competetion"/openreach reskinning if it's all so shit?

Does the UK have any good ISP? What's the point of all this "competetion"/openreach reskinning if it's all so shit?

Attached: 1557180747906.png (558x542, 198K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2mug2n/til_that_andrews_arnold_a_uk_isp_is_xkcd806/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Virgin Media is the only non-openreach ISP in the UK (excluding satellite providers). I wouldn't recommend them though.

andrews and arnold.

reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2mug2n/til_that_andrews_arnold_a_uk_isp_is_xkcd806/

but they are pricey or zen if you want unlimited (pricey too). both don't use the iwf list and are decent.

aaisp is the closest the uk will ever have to banhof in sweden.

Hyperoptic was good but they've recently been hugely invested in by Saudi Arabia so they don't care about normal people anymore. TalkTalk is fucking trash. BT is pretty good but they're the first to act when government implements some fucked up utterly illconceived internet policing law included blocking everything.

I checked them but £70 for fibre with 2TB cap is not acceptable to me.

I always hear the worst shit about Talktalk and BT.

Have been using Sky myself for several years now. It's alright, I guess. Their service desk was actually helpful the couple of times I had to talk to them.

I use Virgin and it randomly goes down for a few hours every month or two, no idea if that's a physical fault that'd effect all ISP's in the area tho or just fuck ups on their part.

5G in theory should be a viable alternative. Shame all the providers will impose artificial limitations. We get fucked in the UK with mobile data.

>£10 for 3GB data

Yeah no fuck off.

With them all being openreach (apart from virgin and kingston comms that i know of) it means you'll get the same speeds with any to your front door. So your best bet is to look at what router they provide and if you can use your own and look at the service desk reviews. In the end though i'd just go for what ever the best value is with the deals and cashback desu

Same here, the virgin routers are complete shit too. They overheat so fucking much and the firmware is rebranded chink trash, but hey at least it's fast when their service isn't down

I'm switching over to Zen in July when my contract with BT runs out. Good fucking riddance.

oh god the routers
as soon as my exams are over I'm gonna try and turn my home server into a router so I don't have to touch that piece of shit anymore

You need them though, the broadband is MAC locked to the box iirc. Although with the 3.0 Hub you can use it in "router mode" and it'll pass through to your actual router

oh yea I was still planning to use it as the modem until I bought a better one, but shit, you're telling me I can't? that sucks

Unless you can pretend to be the box then no, you're locked to using the box in modem mode.

own modem - no. Own router yes. I still advise you do that since the virgin router is pure shit.

you can spoof specific MAC addresses right? guess I can just try that on a OpenWRT'd modem.

Wait for 5G modems faggot.
They are the savior.

(that's why ISPs are paying for online shills to spread the 5G brain melting memes just like they paid for people to DDOS the FCC.

>5G brain melting memes

I just hear more about chinese spyware shit more than anything else

If mobile data is cheap and reliable you could survive with it only. Tether with usb/wifi to your home devices. Keep your phone on a charger. Doesnt hurt your phone or phone's battery, maybe tiny effect in 3 years.

Buying 5G is still too early. Maybe after 5 years or never if mobility is a concern because it's range sucks.

I was using a local ISP, it was awesome, then it shut down. :(

I hear EE are doing 5G now but I don't know much about it. EE I guess?

Attached: superhighway.jpg (1280x939, 799K)

new is not good. western europe and america have barely started broadband development compared to east asia. we're niggers compared to them because our economy is centered on fucking each other over instead of civil development.

>he hasn't been on Jow Forums for the past 3 months