How do you Codemonkeys stand your job?

I'm being serious. How do you stand sitting on your ass 8 hours a day, coding stuff that only contributes to the company in the false hope that you're "fixing" an important problem? How do you do it?

I'm in sales (175K/year) with coding experience and understand that it can be fun to make stuff run for yourself or for passive income, but why the fuck would you ever sacrifice your skills and do it for someone else, yet alone for an entire career? It's just so weird seeing guys like you at our company, you shit out what we want you to shit out and then that's it. It's impossible to start any kind of smalltalk with any of you too. Literally feels like monkeys in a cage that type their life away for low six figures because they lack any other talents.

Attached: henry.jpg (1020x1530, 172K)

Other urls found in this thread:

payscale.com/research/US/Job=Salesperson_/_Salesman_/_Saleswoman/Salary
payscale.com/research/US/Job=Software_Engineer_/_Developer_/_Programmer/Salary
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0071275
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

payscale.com/research/US/Job=Salesperson_/_Salesman_/_Saleswoman/Salary

payscale.com/research/US/Job=Software_Engineer_/_Developer_/_Programmer/Salary

hmm, something seems off.

>in sales
>calling other people monkeys

>I'm in sales (175K/year)
>I get fired after 4 months of employment anywhere

Attached: capture.png (1328x1050, 1.39M)

I am pretty much in control of everything here. Just don't piss me off, colleagues. Hahahaa. Only joking. Or am I?

Attached: mr rescue.png (520x400, 149K)

Coder here on 250k/yr. have fun in your monkey suit salesboy

that suit makes you like a cheap dime store hood. get some class, sassafrass.

I'm reluctant to learn a programming language for this reason, but water flows downhill, and this is what interests me.

How do people using their programming skills for passive income? I guess it must involve personal ownership of profitable software, but how many routes are there to this?
I don't want to touch social media stuff or "apps" with a barge-pole; I'd rather do something technical, while remaining self-employed.

>coding stuff that only contributes to the company in the false hope that you're "fixing" an important problem?
I'm not under this illusion at all. I enjoy software engineering as a career because

A) it's highly paid, esp at FAANG
B) it's intellectually gratifying in the same way solving challenging puzzles is challenging. who gives a shit if solving a puzzle doesn't "make a difference"? (whatever that means)

I could not give a fuck about normie shit like "muh making an impact on the world" and "muh work life balance"

>one requires social skills, closing deals and being able to accurately market yourself and the company you work for, allowing you to work less than your peers in the tech corner (20-25 hours/week)
>the other means you shit out code 8 hours a day without any consequences other than the occassional bug that a coworker can solve for you

how many times have u seen glengarry glen ross you fuckin dweeb

Zero times, actually.

Attached: pffft.gif (331x197, 1.71M)

phd in math here. any job i want, 300k/yr starting.

phd in gender studies here, any job I want, 7 figures starting.

>One requires working with monkeys and tricking them into giving you banana
>The other is understanding and applying the most advanced concepts known to man to produce technology nobody has ever seen

Attached: AdoredTV.jpg (500x500, 57K)

>most advanced concepts known to man

Attached: laughter.jpg (1024x576, 130K)

>one is what allows you to even get your money with risks for the entire company
>the other is simply repeating the basics of a language you've learned and applying them to the framework you use

Attached: man with toast laughing on a cold afternoon.jpg (218x265, 14K)

>He isn't writing bioinformatics software to make catgirls real
>He's selling Oracle licenses instead

Attached: Thelastparrotsoundslikethatangrylittlemidget_3f0a12b29c090302535b30185fe12a87.jpg (473x427, 85K)

I would much rather write code than have to make small talk with people that say nothing interesting nor have any interesting ideas. The latter seems incredibly mundane and boring in comparison to solving logical problems.

>he's in the need of inventing women to sleep with him

this is it for me, I need a laugh break lmao

Attached: Kurt laughing.gif (362x271, 479K)

nerd

Yes, I am. Thank you for recognizing my intelligence.

>thank you for recognizing my intelligence
>works in COMPUTER SCIENCE

being a nerd doesn't mean you're smart

I never said I work in Computer Science. I'm an audio engineer.
It does, there are no dumb nerds.

your entire reply is a contradiction

Attached: 6e76fd272333c71df42e880e0eb7de338456b481e64cc38c6735f9490178e3b6.png (550x550, 74K)

It must be if you say it is.

Making catgirls real is simply a moral imperative. I have normal relationships. Sex becomes not very exciting when you're ~30, but wanting to make lasting things is an urge which only gets stronger. I don't want kids. I want to make catgirls real.

Attached: tiresome.jpg (1280x720, 95K)

>there are no dumb nerds.
most nerds are dumb

My own experience says otherwise.

not that user but Jesus Christ, get off your fucking high horse
you're an audio engineer and on fucking Jow Forums. That's not where smart people go. That's where the isolated and socially challenged go. There's also literally nothing smart about nerd culture, there never was. Intelligent people don't have to boast about it, because they get social validation that they are intelligent.

Constantly claiming you're "an intelligent nerd" on Jow Forums out of all places AS AN AUDIO ENGINEER may be one of the most pathetic things I've seen on 4Kids in a while.

then you are dumb yourself and lack a suitable reference point

Please name someone famous you consider smart?

>constantly claiming
>once is constant
Brainlet identified.
>Jow Forums isn't where smart people go
>generalizing the entire user base
Just because you browse Jow Forums, and you're an idiot, doesn't mean everyone else that browses the site is too.
>intelligent people don't have to boast about it
seething brainlet
My reference point is talking to people that I don't consider nerds, and very rarely having an interesting conversion with them, versus talking to nerds, and generally always being able to have an interesting conversation.

Myself

>My reference point is talking to people that I don't consider nerds, and very rarely having an interesting conversion with them, versus talking to nerds, and generally always being able to have an interesting conversation.
That's because you're autistic, not because you're smart

Why does it have to be someone famous?

nah user, you just have an ego problem. Sorry about whatever happened, but I hope you'll get the validation you crave one day.

If you think so it must be true.
>blanket statements
>getting triggered this badly over a single comment obviously made to trigger you
>claims ego problem, meanwhile clearly harping on people they consider socially inept out of their own insecurity.
Please, continue making an ass of yourself in front of the entire board.

> Why does it have to be someone famous
So I know who you're talking about. If you think Uncle Bob is really smart and I never met the guy then you might as well just have made a barking noise. I'm just curious about whether you're able to come up with a name that most people wouldn't know or if your idea of what a clever person is meant to be is made up out of stereotypes and uhu glue.

>i'm intelligent
>falls for easy bait
>autistic screeching ensues
l m a o
m
a
o

>Sales
>Not working 50+ hours
Lmfao oh yeah?

user, please get off Jow Forums for a while.
Look, you're not smart. Every single reply of yours is showing signs of severe autism and I'm not even joking about that. Sorry that I probably irritated something inside of your ego that you're likely unable to comprehend. I never mean to make fun of the mentally and socially challenged, so I apologize. Get some help soon.

Also this.

>Sex becomes not very exciting when you're ~30
Aww u didnt find ur soulmate. Im sorry bro

The only one showing severe autism is the absolute retard that you are autistically screeching at everyone because someone claimed to be intelligent. Also you do realize this was directed to you right?

>worked shit tier labor and hospitality jobs
>now get to sit on my ass doing something that's kind of fun while listening to music or watching TV and nobody ever bothers me

this

user, that reply wasn't even me LMAO
you're veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery smart if you don't realize anyone can come in and say "Myself" on an ANONYMOUS image board and not be that person.

Jesus Christ I'm done, this thread is too much for my sides

>i-it wasn't m-me lmao
>l-lol this is funny haha last word kthxbai XDDD
You are a delusional teenager.

Guy who asked you to name someone smart. I'm not the other guy who's talking about all nerds being smart &c.
I think you are both fronting a lot of false confidence, taking extremely strong, declarative attitudes with nothing but guesswork and a bit of pattern recognition underneath it.

I am the person who posted "Myself" and can confirm this post was a joke and this entire thread has become very autistic

user for your own sake, please get your social retardation and autism under control. Most importantly, your superiority complex without anything to back it up.

You only think you're smart because of isolation and never being near actually smart people to compare yourself to. That's it for me now, though.

Attached: wasn't me.png (835x178, 14K)

>implying you aren't the other user
nice try

>haha last word kthxbai XDDD
Exactly what I'd expect from a delusional teenager.

>Everyone who threatens my understanding is the same person

>>The other is understanding and applying the most advanced concepts known to man to produce technology nobody has ever seen
wow, extract transform load

much advanced
many technologies

Attached: cr.jpg (680x588, 51K)

The only thing this proves how autistic and stupid you are. Posting an image of a reply doesn't disprove samefagging; anyone that uses 4chanx or understands how the inspect tool works (on Jow Forums, no less) knows that you can easily fake screenshots. You're clearly both mentally handicapped and a very newfriend if you would even take the time and effort to take a screenshot in the first place without thinking about whether or not it acts as valid evidence.
Obvious samefag is obvious.

> ITT Autists accusing each other of Autism

Jesus is crying over you niggaz. Choose life.

Attached: spiderman.jpg (800x450, 46K)

There is no 100% probability, I never claimed every nerd was smart, only that most were. I also noted that I came to that conclusion based on my own empirical findings. Meanwhile other user flew into an autistic rage of ad hominem and personal insults at the very thought of someone else claiming they are intelligent.

on any given day I only do about 30 mins of actual coding. we have an espresso machine so the first thing I do in the morning is make myself a mocha. i then walk over and say hi to some coworkers. we chat about bullshit or whatever. then i make my second coffee, just an americano this time, don't want too much surgar! i then walk around some more, go on the balcony if its a nice day. we're only on the 5th floor but i enjoy the breeze and view. ill probably play on my phone. it's lunch time now so i see if anybody wants to go for a pub lunch. usually somebody does. 70 mins, a burger and 2 beer later i come back in. well, fuck, i need to make at least one commit today right? i check the task list, find something easy, bang it out, check it in. that's my 30mins. now, my food is mostly digested so time to play some pingpong or foosball. i ask my buddy andrew since he's usually up for a game, if nto matt or derrick. that'll last an hour or so. then i do a quick checkin with my team leader, he lets me know if he has any issues, if he does i say "we'll get it sorted" then i assign somebody else in my team to do it. now it's time to go home.

that's how i stand my job as a code monkey.

If you define "nerd" to mean "smart person" then that's true. If you define "nerd" to mean someone addicted to media consumption, it's not true.
This is like playing whack-a-mole with your own dick, except you don't even really get a moving target.

I'm sure that guy doctored a screenshot just to prove you wrong
I thought you were supposed to be smart

Do you not feel intellectually unsatisfied for being useless?

>autist accusing other autists of autism while they accuse each other of autism
In the context of the conversation and thread topic we were clearly referring to the definition of nerds as being people who are either anti-social or socially inept.
It's a couple of clicks in 4chanx to remove (you). Moreover, it's not whether or not it was doctored, but that it doesn't matter in the first place, and that they took the time to do it at all. If you go through lengths on an anonymous Chinese sweatshop forum to prove yourself to over something trivial you clearly have some major issues.

Attached: 1541663648196.png (454x404, 158K)

>only does 30 minutes of work
>dumps workload onto other people
Do you really feel zero remorse for shafting the rest of the people you work with solely for the sake of your own enjoyment?

>In the context of the conversation and thread topic we were clearly referring to the definition of nerds as being people who are either anti-social or socially inept.

Do all say aye?

Not im,but Iam in the same boat as that user. If you made it and found the love of your life, then gratz on you, user. Honestly I hope you are happy.
I had 3 GFs in my whole life (I fucked up once and two didnt want anything serious). I kept looking for another girl in my late 20s but nothing so far and honestly I am tired for now.
I earn close to $83k/yr before taxes as a Senior Java Backend Developer. I may not be rich, but I am not dying from hunger and I can pay my flat so I don't have financial problems for now.

How does being socially inept mean you're intelligent?
An intelligent person should be able to master social skills like any other

Computers make logic circuits easier
Machine language makes computers easier
Assembly makes machine language easier
C makes assembly easier
Whatever hipster tier language you use makes C easier
If you could dumb it down any more they would

That's how most "successful" people become "successful".

>How does being socially inept mean you're intelligent?
Being socially inept doesn't automatically equate to being intelligent, however through my own empirical observation, most people that are socially inept or just anti-social are also intelligent.
>An intelligent person should be able to master social skills like any other
Some people have disorders that make it hard for them to handle social relationships properly, like a severe form of anxiety disorder, autism etc. Just because they aren't able to deal with social relationships well, or have a harder time with them, doesn't mean they are inherently less intelligent than someone which can.
Many of the materially successful people I have met in life were either born into it or have worked hard to attain it. Occasionally you get a person that worked their way up by bringing other people down, but in my experience that is not as common as popularly made out to be.

not really

im delegating, it's a good thing

poorfag programmer here making $60k in europe - but lots of freedom at job no bs meetings 5 min commute - and not working for marketing surveillance bs, which helps my sanity a lot

>he thinks he's being smug

Attached: hello.gif (548x547, 246K)

turned down a $130k offer though, cuz jobs seemed too boring

fellow Eurobro here
the only clever thing to do if you don't want to move to Burgerland is open up your own development agency here in Euroland. If you know how to handle your employees/get clients you'll be looking at six figures after 8 months.

they living

Attached: 1536295647278.jpg (203x248, 17K)

this thread is reaching dangerously high levels of autism

good tip, problem is i am boored too fast - customer want sap customization - well fuck sap - customer wants yet another crud - sorry m8 it does not hold my interest any more - best thing for me would be solo or small team product dev which is what i am working towards

I can see where you've gone wrong
You've conflated being predominiantly left-brained with intelligence
they aren't the same thing

also, i see many incompetent devs, like the ratio of wanttoworkwith/alldevs is like 1/20 max - universities spit out mostly mediocre monkeys

exhibit a: dev thinks he is an archictect - does not recognize hes mostly overengineers stuff and call it pattern
exhibit b: guy thinks if its logical it works zero business sense
exhibit c: writes shitty pspers for phd could not program hello world to save life
list goes on an on

>left-brain/right-brain myth
Oh boy, here we go.

I haven't confused anything, there are plenty of great artists who are anti-social as well, and are still intelligent in their own right. Where you've gone wrong is assumed that I'm making a statement about the intelligence of people who are actively social when in fact I have only mated a statement about those who are anti-social, that does not in any way imply a lack of intelligence in people that are social.

>this fucking guy is still in the thread

Attached: Zeke laughing.png (800x450, 725K)

>still being this triggered

Attached: 1531048811761.jpg (900x810, 55K)

I love my family

>myth
artists aren't programmers and programmers aren't artists
The physical premise about brain activity may not be true, but there are two modes of thinking, and its fallacious to assume because you're logical and unemotional that you're intelligent
If you think that most anti-social people are intelligent then you're definitely confused
most anti-social people have emotional problems and are no more intelligent than anyone else

no need to argue friend, that guy is either severly autistic with a superiority complex or a 30-something old NEET larping.

why are you so triggered by one insignificant retard

I'm not triggered
but this thread turned to absolute shit because autism warfare broke out

pls no

>artists aren't programmers and programmers aren't artists
A very black and white way of looking at things, the studies and theories by Howard Gardner shown and proposed in Frames of Mind show us that people can be multi-faceted. As an example, many indie game studios include multi-talented people that program, design and create art assets. The subset games duo (FTL) and likewise the duo from D-pad studio (Owl Boy) are just a couple of examples. I myself work a job that involves a lot of very logical thinking, but also enjoy drawing, programming and producing music for hobbies.
>The physical premise about brain activity may not be true, but there are two modes of thinking, and its fallacious to assume because you're logical and unemotional that you're intelligent
Anti-social people are not "unemotional"; people who suffer from anxiety disorders and other disorders which cause them to be anti-social can and usually are very emotional people, they just don't display it publicly. Your assumption here, that there are "two modes of thinking" and that people heavily fall into those categories, belies your own ignorance of the complexity of individuals.
>you're definitely confused
You're the one that seems to be confused, as I never assumed that because someone is logical and lacking in emotion they are intelligent. I trust in my empirical observations. Most nerds I have met are intelligent people, and I'm sure it is the same for others, as in popular culture, the term nerd has become almost synonymous with intelligence.

The one throwing out personal attacks, claims that others have a superiority complex. It's almost poetry.

How do you manage to only have 3 gfs without getting married to the latest? wtf

wat

Most indie developers fall on the intuitive side of things and don't do very difficult programming
I said anti-social people have emotional problems. Nerds are predominantly logical thinkers which goes hand-in-hand with emotional difficulty, but being predominantly logical doesn't actually mean you're intelligent

>Most indie developers fall on the intuitive side of things and don't do very difficult programming.
Writing your own game engine is not easy. Moreover, whether or not they do difficult programming isn't a valid estimation of their logical inclination.
>Nerds are predominately logical thinkers
This is only true in the sense of a jaded cultural perception. Many highly regarded artists could be considered nerds, especially in the current era, where many artists in general are very liberal leaning lgbt members that aren't socially apt at all. And if that's the case, whether you're creatively or logically inclined, social aptitude probably doesn't stem from the inclusion or lack of either.
>Nerds are predominantly logical thinkers which goes hand-in-hand with emotional difficulty
Being anti-social often doesn't mean you have emotional difficulty, just that you have trouble expressing your emotions in a social setting. Even if someone is dominantly logical there isn't any valid reason to actually tie it directly to social ineptitude. I reason that these people are socially inept because they were conditioned that way from a young age, ostracized because of their precisely because of their aptitude and never given the opportunity to learn social skills. I don't think it is inherently because they are inclined to logic, as again neuroscientists like Howard Gardner have shown us that this is almost definitely not the case.
>being predominantly logical doesn't actually mean you're intelligent
I never said it did.

>Even if someone is dominantly logical there isn't any valid reason to actually tie it directly to social ineptitude
It's demonstratively true. That's what being a nerd is. That's what autism is. You're left/logical/masculine brain is overdeveloped and your right/intuitive/feminine brain is underdeveloped. That leads to social difficulty. Don't delude yourself into thinking that people don't like you just because you're smart and that's why you never developed social skills.

I have no problems being social or expressing myself in social situations.
>It's demonstratively true.
It's clearly not, you're ignoring the point I made earlier in the post about many artists also being considered nerds and being unable to express themselves properly in a social environment; because of this, whether someone is more logically or creatively inclined likely has nothing to do with their social aptitude.
>You're left/logical/masculine brain is overdeveloped and your right/intuitive/feminine brain is underdeveloped.
This is not how your brain works at all, do some actual research instead of blindly believing in jaded views we adopted before we even had the appropriate technology to study the brain.
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0071275

>job