Have you ever changed the cells of a dead laptop battery? How easy is it to do it?

Have you ever changed the cells of a dead laptop battery? How easy is it to do it?

Will I die if I try?

Attached: cells.jpg (1280x720, 187K)

You'll die regardless if you try. Do or do not, there is no try

Have fun.

And die?

In most modern laptop batteries, theres a chip that counts the cycles... So even if you do manage to do it properly(keep in mind the charging process is linked to the brand and capacity of the cells too, so you need to match them, you cant just put the "best" panasonics you find) you'll still be dealing with a charging circuit that wont allow it to go over 40% if theres been over 500 cycles.

DESU its all just a huge scam... Once the battery stops holding a charge, just accept that it'll only work tethered to the wall.

t. Someone who spent way too much time and money trying to keep his T61 mobile back in like 2013.

If a cell measures 0 volts, the pressure fuse (CID) activated. You can reset it but I wouldn't trust it.

Other than that you're fine, assuming your charger is not shit.

This. It's always shit like this

it would be very painful

Have you considered simply buying a cheap entire replacement battery?

/thread

Don't fall for this trap. Every time someone has asked me about replacement laptop batteries, I advise them against buying the cheapo ones. Then they buy a cheapo one and tell me how great it works and how amazing a deal it was. And then a month later they're back complaining that their new battery holds less than the old one did when they replaced it.

Don't buy shit batteries.

No, but I'm thinking about cracking one open to salvage the still good cells. If they are 18650 I can still use them in my flashlights. Thanks to the goddamn vaping hipster faggots a set of 2 batteries costs more than the flashlight itself.

OP do this instead

>battery dies
>open it up
>free vape pen batteries

Attached: 1525897785725.png (657x527, 148K)

>Have you ever changed the cells of a dead laptop battery?
Depends on cell. Some will happily take the charge, but have insane self-discharge, while other cells will have over-pressure protection tripped, so they won't even take charge.
>Will I die if I try?
Keep current under 50 mA until you get to 3.5V or so. Keep eye on temperature.
They can be resetted. Google part-no and flasher.
Sometimes you can simply cut power for some time and it will clear cycle count

5A vapes are like 2008.

And yeah, usually PCBs trip for a reason, so you can salvage batteries, but reusing old one - they are ded.

You're a big charge

I used to salvage batteries all the time, but newer laptops all have the thin slice batteries so there's nothing left to salvage. Heck even a lot of power banks have stopped using 18650 cells.

My free supply of 18650s for my power banks, flash lights, portable fans, radios and what not are drying up...

MacBook pouches are quite decent, if not puffed.

for you

>DESU
fuck off weeaboo..

the problem is that it shouldn't been DESU but DESU KARA

go to an electronics recycling depot and give them shekels so you can go in and take the batteries theyre gonna throw out anyways
pessimist
anime website

If I wanted to pay for cells I'd get
Samsung ICR18650-26H $2.12 USD
Panasonic NCR18650B $5.06
Sanyo NCR18650GA $4.43
Local store has import papers and documents to verify authenticity and even sells them by the unopened 30~100PC boxes they ship in.

The Samsung one alone is enough to BTFO most cells that I've ever recovered from old battery packs.
The ones at recycle depots are rusty, torn wrappings and are generally in pretty bad shape, shit there is always water damaged from the rain being out in the open.

The recycle depots salvage batteries and sell them to chink rewrappers who put on a new cap and base plate and sell them as new batteries. I've literally ripped off the wrapping on some chink shit batteries to find a thin piece of metal on the bottom covering the old solder traces.

Ultrafires are super notorious for this.

Attached: IMG_5844[1].jpg (1024x768, 101K)

so you seem to be quite proficient in batteries, so you probably know this. could i get a significantly higher capacity than originally rated by putting better cells in it?

that's why it's best to just run a car battery into a buck up with 19volts or w/e the fuck your laptop is.

Most of the time, no, the charging board itself is often set to the original battery's specifications with low tolerances +-10%, some are able to be flashed or altered, but cheap ones tend to be stuck at what ever specs it was designed for.

it's a thinkpad T400 battery. Would it be worth it?

Most of the time, IMO, no, just buy a new battery.
Laptop batteries often use shitty plastic that go brittle with time and they aren't exactly designed to be taken apart without breaking.
Thinkpad batteries are cheap enough that I wouldn't risk the fire hazard.

Source a new battery from somewhere with 2~3 years warranty.

actually, 00 gen thinkpad batteries are pretty well made.

I guess you could try sourcing similar batteries to what's inside, if I remember correctly Thinkpads tended to use Panasonics the grey ones rated at 2900 or similar capacities.

I'm not sure if it will be worth it to do it yourself.
You could try opening it up before you actually buy the cells so if you break it, just trash it and buy a new battery pack and you wouldn't be out any money on cells.

Putting salvaged cells in a battery pack is stupid and don't even think about it.

You have a flasher, you can reset it. You're going to have the battery open anyways.

The force is strong with this one

>implying i would use salvaged cells for anything other than cool DIY shit

I can't imagine buying a whole battery being all that much more expensive. Probably considerably less risk too.

If the voltage and capacity of cells is not carefully matched they can become unbalanced and cause the battery pack to fail. Plus a lot of these battery packs have a chip that disables charging when the cells get too fucked up. Trying to revive a failed battery pack probably isn't going to work at best and you might start a fire if the cells are sufficiently fucked up.

Salvage the good cells if you want but recycle the battery pack.

Just a friendly reminder, I've seen way to many people putting salvaged cells in places where they don't belong, and even making youtube "guide" videos.

Darwin awards isn't being awarded fast enough.

>I've seen way to many people putting salvaged cells in places where they don't belong
Like the pooper, perhaps?

not many memes age as well
never seen the movie and yet this makes me chuckle errytime

>he doesnt know how to recalibrate a battery
SAD!

what batteries do I need? Can I just put a bunch of AAA rechargeable batteries in it?

No, you need 9V batteries.

>T61
I'm still using mine as a firewall with a huge battery

I'm shitposting from my T60 right now, MFer.

Hard
>Why
You need to replace all the 18650 batteries, then you need to spot solder them(the hard part).
And then pray the controller doesn't didn't shit the bed.

>start work at a battery store today
>see recelling workstation
>ask if they can do my laptop battery
>even they don't recell Li-ion packs

Its just not worth it.

I need a way to resurrect good laptops though

Buying a Chinese battery replacement is the best and cheapest way.
Fixing batteries is not worth it because
>Controller dies
>You need to replace all cells
>Controller refuses new cells
>Complexity

What are the odds of getting good cells to work in a new chink pack? Maybe you could avoid the controller shit that refers to

Depends in who makes them.
90% of the time they will be 4 green no name cells for 2200-2800mAh.
The other 10% for high capacity ones will be rejected cells(Example T400 9 cell 92,000mAh battery replacements).

Unless you find a way to buy straight from Lenovo, Liteon or anyone else that makes batteries you wont get a good one.

I mean recelling a new chink pack with reputable cells

Its possible but also housefire tier if the controller used is shit and wasn't made to charge high capacity cells.

I have tried, it's super hard without having and knowing how to use a "tab" welder. those little strips of metal are not just soldered on. They are spot welded. and there's not really enough room in the pack for normal wires and the batteries.

Let's say you want to use your laptop for 4 more years. You have two choices:
1. You buy 3-4 $20 chink batteries (cuz they will go to shit in about a year or a year and a half max)
2. You spend $60-80 and buy an original battery which will last the whole 4 years

will always love youuuuu

> Have you ever changed the cells of a dead laptop battery?
Yes.
> How easy is it to do it?
5/10, requires soldering on power elements.
You have to make sure they hold the same charge, or it won't work.