The inventor of the USB had originally intended for it to be flippable...

The inventor of the USB had originally intended for it to be flippable, however that idea was scrapped due to the extra cost. Despite USB becoming the standard, he still regrets that decision. "In hindsight, we blew it," he said.

Attached: only-two-ways-lsuyd1-100625531-large.jpg (579x386, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/busv1f/til_the_inventor_of_the_usb_had_originally/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

that casing as a divet at least so you can feel which side is correct
most don't but if it ever takes you three tries to get in the hole you might as well wear a dress

>oh the divet was on the top on my laptop, so it must be on the top on my keyboard pass-through as well.

nope

How do I feel the divits a receptical and how do I see it without laying on my desk

Well at least the number of retards bricking their phones by trying to force in the charging cable upside down, and trying to copy apple whenever it does something, has forced type-c into existence.

>copying a literal reddit thread word for word

reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/busv1f/til_the_inventor_of_the_usb_had_originally/

Attached: yikes from me dawg.png (1240x321, 60K)

ishygddt

if you don't know which way every fucking usb female port is aligned you might as well wear a dress and cut off your dick

Thank fuck there is type C now ... and poorfags bitch about muh backwards compatibility instead.

It's not that hard. Regularly the face that has the usb logo is the one that should be on top when inserted.

If your plug doesn't have the logo or has it the other way around, it means it is crap and you should replace it.

Not to mention manufacturing costs are way higher.

Imagine how many human lives worth of time have been spent flipping usb cables

It's actually still possible to design a USB A socket or plug that makes it flippable.
Socket: put contacts on both sides of the "tongue" and disable the ones on the side that gets shorted by the shield. Now a normal USB cable can be inserted either way.
Plug: put two tongues with contacts and make both spring loaded, so that whichever lines up with the tongue inside the port is pushed in. Now it can insert into a normal USB socket either way.

Why can't we use make 2 way type C the standard?

Attached: homura_akemi_by_blackjack1000k-d7jshdx.png (400x278, 181K)

BUT I CAN'T USED MY OUTDATED STUFF WITH TYPE C WITHOUT ADAPTER, REEEEE

OP: discussing technology
You: autistic screeching about reddit which by the way you went out of your way to find and be triggered by

Wonder who I'd rather have here

USB was a mistake

Attached: kermit infinity gauntlet.png (1280x1240, 1.67M)

Have you ever used standard USB cords before? They come in all manner of cheaped out designs. some don't even have holes in them or symbols on them or your "divots" and you have to look to see which way to turn it every time.

Who do you think raids Jow Forums/nel on a daily basis, for many years now, newfriend?

Attached: spam bots attack.png (641x218, 25K)

You don’t need three tries to get Jow Forums to wear a dress.

I only had a problem with it the first several times using it

Who cares now that USB-C is a thing?

Attached: usb c.jpg (600x600, 16K)

People who want a sturdier reversible USB port.

>sturdier
USB-C is actually stronger.

>has a million different fucking "standards" for the same exact port
Why can't USB just die

all of my usb casings have the symbol molding
a divoted cord as in OPs pic is even better could literally plug in without sight

and theres like 3 different kinds of mini usb plugs. whole concept was supposed to be universality wtf

>then mini USB came along and it was pretty obvious how to insert it
>then micro USB came out and fucked us yet again

Kinda fine so long as things are clearly labeled and there are no destructive conflicts.

Reversible USB A cables do exist and compatible with ordinary USB A ports

Attached: reversible USB A.jpg (1600x1600, 88K)

>knowing it came from plebbit
>unironically posting a screenshot
you need to go back

You know what, you're right. We should make a NEW standard that unifies everything. I'll make the logo.

>Imagine how much time the world's dumbest fucking morons have been spent flipping usb cables
> never thought once to look at the end of the cable and see whether it's upside down or not
people are useless fucking morons: confirmed.

Probably spend just as much time if not more trying to get a look at the port in the back of the computer just to see its orientation.