Who SDR here?

Who SDR here?

Attached: police-radio.png (2227x1501, 1.76M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1j34i2eeW60
youtube.com/watch?v=egS6AUM44uQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What exacty can you do with these besides pick up random frequencies?

Is there really that much going on

you can listen to boomers talking about their antennas and radios. also, weather satellite images can be received.

Iceland here, using a HackRF One to listen to fire department and such, police have gone encrypted but i can still decode the other such as fire dept. im using telive to decode it. in iceland they use the TETRA trunking system, oh and i often listen to airport coms too, ive setup a scanner with gqrx-scanner

Ummm... I played around with a few cheapshit RTLs,
then wanted a more powerful set up, but didn't want to pay for it.
Did this happen to anyone else?

There's lots of good stuff out there. You just need a suitable antenna to hear it properly.
Try telemetry from Cubesats. That's pretty neat
youtube.com/watch?v=1j34i2eeW60
Also:
youtube.com/watch?v=egS6AUM44uQ

i live in a basement with above ground windows so i dont really get much besides a few mainstream FM stations on SDRsharp.

i miss living in a building, so much more potential.

You will probably get local stuff on a UHF whip - emergency services and the like. Satellite downlinks/telemetry might be a bit more difficult. Still this doesnt mean you can't take your lappy and SDR and a decent discone antenna out to a park or something where you have a good view of the sky.
Use the ORBITRON software to track your satellites

You can use it as a scanner. Police/fire/EMS

I put an SBC with an SDR dongle in the attic and stream it to my computer in the basement

You can track airplanes flying over your house, reverse engineer your garage door opener, reverse engineer your neighbor's garage door opener, read your electric meter, listen to the analog radio (AM, FM, Amateur, aviation/marine/police bands), download weather satellite images, all kinds of stuff. This is with just a $30 RTL-SDR that can't even transmit - if you're willing to spend the money, you can get a BladeRF or something with an FPGA built in and make your own GPS receiver or cellular modem, or transmit arbitrary signals of your own imagining on whatever frequency you want*.

* But if you actually do this, the FCC might fine you

Attached: just_sdr_things.png (2227x1501, 1.63M)

i dont own the place i live in :( maybe i can convince my landlord to let my put up a small outdoor one (hes pretty chill). only tricky part is running the wire into the house.

>going to the park to do SDR stuff
i might aswell play nintendo DS in public. id rather eventually get some better infrastructure in my place. part of the comfy factor of SDR is listening to random shit at home.

Just ask him if you can put a tiny computer in the attic and explain that it's an antenna so it needs to be up there

Move outta your basement then

I have a HackRF but the lack of a roofing filter really hurts it’s performance head to head against my KX3. SDRs have a long way to go to match the performance of a hybrid system.

Sounds fun, how do I get started?

Buy a DVB dongle for ~

Can all DVB dongles be used for this?

Pretty much so - all you need is the sw and there is plenty of that about

Just use web sdr why would you spend money on a shitty antena

Sometimes, yeah

I need a small capture file as source for gnu radio ~30 MHz wide of any channel from wifi.

Those cheap SDRs can be pimped up pretty nicely for a dime

For local shit

bump for the source file.

I have one but I have to learn how to use it

now transmit "niggers tongue my anus" to the us army