There is nothing particularly wrong with the Gnome desktop

There is nothing particularly wrong with the Gnome desktop.

Attached: iu.jpg (1280x720, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/p-e-w/argos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>forced acceleration
Enjoy your buggy shit.

it's slow as fuck

no BLUR

actually factually correct statement

Attached: 1555219677611.jpg (657x527, 53K)

It takes more resources to run GNOME than KDE and Xfce combined. It's the only DE that LAGS when trying to open the app menu.

dash to dock and arc menu make it good

Also check out Argos

github.com/p-e-w/argos

There software suite is pretty shit, but otherwise it's decent.

looks like tablet shit

>snapped window fullscreens to other monitor
>open PDF on one monitor, PDF reader opens on the other
GNOME's trash

>just use extensions bro

why have both alt+tab and win+tab do the same thing, and why is ctrl+alt+tab its own thing

there is, and it's very important and it's always overlooked
> i3 = everything's fine
> gnome = scrolling in FF is ass, videos drop framerates or minor stutters
otherwise it's good but that compositor crap make it unusable

>open GIMP on GNOME
>have a panel, a fuckhuge titlebar and a menu bar wasting space
>open GIMP in Unity
>have just the panel. Title and menu bars are integrated into it

Ho ho ho ha ha, ho ho ho he ha. 'Ello, my old chum. I’m gnot an gnelf. I’m gnot a goblin. I’m a gnome. And you’ve been, GNOMED!!!

Attached: gnomed start.jpg (1024x956, 81K)

Besides it being annoying.

What were they thinking

>gets paid by redhat to remove clicking executables to kill off appimage
>features gets removed because lolwedontuseit
>unironic single-threaded javascript desktop
>stupid ass tablet shit look
>XFCE? Never heard of it

zoinks

it's a fucking foot for one.

they should
1) separate gtk from gnome development, make it very stable for developers and add a theming api. compete with other toolkits instead of listening to gnome. this has been done in the enterprise world before it's nothing new
2) fix the lag and crashy shit with a proper architecture, use vulkan so they can use certain tools that are going to be released in

it's perfect by design, it just needs better performance.
>muh windows menus
fuck off, install xfce if you want to be a toddler who can't use keyboard shortcuts

gnome needs some blurry sexiness

>There is nothing particularly wrong with the Gnome desktop.

Nothing particularly right, either.

Title bars are too thic

>separate gtk from gnome development
they have always been separate
>make it very stable for developers
i don't know what this means
>a theming api
has been available since gtk 1
>fix the lag and crashy shit with a proper architecture
was fixed in 3.24
>use vulkan
there is a vulkan backend already written which will probably ship with gtk 4.0
>fix extensions
???
>or just throw everything in the trash and help qt/kde
qt/kde suffer from plenty of other issues, it's not all sunshine and roses over there
>wayland
gnome already uses wayland as the default

also reminder that asking for free software developers to take your suggestions is pointless, the code is open source, if you want to see change then just do it yourself

i ditched windows 8 for the fucking retarded start menu.
im not going to use the gnome start menu

not a valid reason
nautilus has a thinner titlebar than the titlebar+menubar combo that dolphin has.
yeah, if you're using an older version. it's been fixed already.

Gnome without extensions is shit.
And every fucking time Gnome upgrades several extensions stop working due to incompatibility.
Some extensions take months to get fixed, some don't even get fixed.

Why would anyone on linux use anything but a window manager?

When I set window focus to mouse, the focus changes when the cursor stops moving rather than as it's moving, any way to change that?

It has a few benefits over a traditional desktop but also introduces it's own unique disadvantages.
+ Overview
+ Dynamic Workplaces
+/- CSD
- Sterile
- Entire "taskbar" is a glorified clock

Honestly all of its benefits as a desktop are being incorporated into Windows 10. At least the Windows taskbar does more than show the fucking time. We've also reached a point where Windows is unironically more customizable and feature-rich than the "standard" Linux DE.

Except for Evolution which is better than all other mail clients on GNU plus Linux.

Extensions are their last priority. Infact, were supposed to come up with an API to fix that years ago.
Once I got an update that broke an extension causing my entire session to crash whenever I mounted a disk.

I suspect that Redhat doesn't like any customizability whatsoever because it inconveniences them.
They are selfish and I'm afraid that Linux is doomed under Redhat's leadership.

You can add stuff to the bar. I've got the weather in mine. I believe you can set it up to be a global menu bar as well

it's gross and bloated as fuck. you could get something close with Openbox and whatever bar/dock/whatever and it would be exponentially faster than that piece of shit

Fantastic, so you can see the weather and the time! I've never used a global menu so I don't know how useful that is.

This is a gripe with the core principles behind Gnome3. That taskbar is supposed to represent their brand. That's the sole reason that you can't change its location or the location of its elements (like you could with Gnome2 or any other DE).
They replaced the Desktop metaphor for something far worse.

I'm not saying it's perfect but it's more useful than you make it sound. I'm pretty sure you can make it an actual taskbar as well. It always did feel like a waste adding a whole bar just to have a clock when I set up my own DE, was quite nice when I started wearing watches and could just do away with the timebar altogether

>I'm not saying it's perfect but it's more useful than you make it sound.
By default you've got a button that takes you to the Activities view. You've also got a clock in the middle and finally you can see your name next to a couple of indicators (network, volume, Bluetooth, etc.).

True, you can make it a functional taskbar. But I'm just illustrating that there is something particularly wrong with the GNOME way.
They've had almost a decade to revert that change. But GNOME devs are notoriously stubborn.

>"Desktop"
>Can't even put stuff on the desktop.
why

Attached: 1559051247961.jpg (1000x750, 66K)

Uh yeah... What is: 'Keeping my stuff up-to-date?'

I installed PureOS on a VM today cuz I rolled it on a “roll for OS” thread earlier. To be honest I wasn’t sure how to “minimize” a window. Am I retarded?

>remove clicking executables
Still works for me, in what version were they supposed to kill it?
>XFCE? Never heard of it
And that's a good thing!

Yes if you live in 2009 and you just bought a tablet to run it.

gnome a comf

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-26 18-17-00.png (1920x1080, 762K)

i think arc menu is currentl;y broken, i jsut isntalled it and theres an exclamation mark next to the enable switch in tweak tool, comments also say its broken on current gnome ;-;, looks good though