/hsg/ - Home Server General

Home server thread

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>A T T E N T I O N:
>The /hsg/ wiki is up!
hsg.shortlink.club/

>Links
server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features

>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org

previous thread:

Attached: hsg.png (596x430, 27K)

Bump. I try to grow bonsais for fun. Lost 2 of my 4 last year though. Got some cheap esp32 boards today with temp, humidity, light, and soil moisure sensors. Phases 1 is to have my server monitor and log data. Phase 2 is going to be creating a custom watering schedule based on the parameters since every tree is different.

>I try to grow bonsais for fun. Lost 2 of my 4 last year though.
this makes me sad
how is tending to them? do you have to do it frequently?
i'd like to into bonsai keeping as well
pic related is my home server

Attached: 2019-06-01-153849_575x340_scrot.png (575x340, 30K)

It's pretty fun and cheap. Especially if you try to bonsai a seedling instead of purchase an already bonsaied tree. Summer is hot here so usually water 2x a day. Fetrilize every 2-3 weeks, and prune when you feel like it. most difficult part is changing with the seasons. Having been though every season once now was very educational and think this year will be better. Vacations suck though hence the remote watering and monitoring idea.

oh ok, do they require lots of sunlight and or warmth?
im living in northern scandinavia so i get maybe 20 hours of sun right now during summer unless cloudy and 4 during winter
not sure its suitable for bonsai
you should do some neat web-ui to visualize the bonsai data

Yea for now going to get sensors up and log. Plan on spinning up a quick UI i can access and monitor if I am away or just visualize the data. Bonsai basically require their "native" climate to thrive. You can research species climate zones and see if they are compatible with you. Look into taking "cuttings" from local trees. Those would be 100% compatible with your climate. Also it's free so if they die not really a big loss cash wise.

>Look into taking "cuttings" from local trees
just marathoned the wikipedia article on bonsai and i am surprised, i thought bonsai was some special type of midget tree
i'll probably go out and buy some dirt that bowl thing you keep the dirt and stuff in today or tomorrow and take some cuttings from a local pine or fir

Nope, but a really common misconception. Just force the tree to grow small and boom bonsai you have a bonsai. If your doing conifers check out "Mycorrhiza" try and collect some for your soil. Can save alot of sadness later. Well off to start this project. Will check back later if /hsg/ is still alive.

ganbatte ne~

Is this thread now a /btg/ - bonsai tree general? Yup

Would be nice to move some stuff to the 'cloud'. Mostly pictures, some txt, ebooks. Will a seedbox work for this? just in terms of storage over price.

sure, it probably would
unless in the many gigabytes i'd honestly just upload aes encrypted blobs to google drive or mega (especially for the pictures) because its free and available

That would be another backup, yes.
How google handles those encrypted files?

Well, bonsai and servers are kinda related. You need to maintain them properly or else they perish.

>How google handles those encrypted files?
i dont know, but it offers 15gb free and i would assume theyd be kept like any other container

what are some good methods of hosting a ~10gb zip file that can be downloaded from outside my local network? preferably via browser
ftp? anything else?

Attached: 1531138151221.jpg (1078x1078, 718K)

nginx with basic auth, https

sup nerds
finally built a NAS system, 3x8TB in this little cube case for now but will have to find a new case once I go for more drives. any recs for a cheap case that looks alright and has room for a bunch of drives?

literally any httpd

Attached: hdc-20190601.jpg (2738x4032, 2.09M)

2x HP N40L
1x HP Proliant ML310e
(All run FreeNas)

1x Zyzel Nas 540

Not shown:
UPS
Network gear
3TB external drive
6TB external drive

Attached: Merge.jpg (4059x1348, 1009K)

why rebuild your machine in a different case when drive cages exist?

yes, but remember if you for whatever reason can't make your monthly payment you lose access. and unless you're gonna access from somewhere besides home a nas/server will do fine. and it's not super hard to set it up for outside access

Good thread please make this thread more often.
Second, running a nifty system.
Ryzen 1600 in a b450 microatx board. Fractal node case has crazy amount of drive bays.
Currently running 4X8TB plus one 4tb and one 5 tb drive LVM raid.
NVME Ssd for os and VMs.
Noctua fans for cooling. Runs great. Hosting a large multipurpose media server atm.

I'm currently running an internet radio which I'm streaming using mpd and icecast. it's working well so far but does anyone have any ideas of anything a tad more elegant? or is icecast the standard way of doing it.

Most cases these days don't have mounting points.
You can always tape the shit in there but that sucks and most of us hate doing that. Been there not doing it again.
Thermaltake wp200 if you need max drive space.

Well, yes the idea is having it as an outside source so I don't have to expose my home nas/server.
Never used a seedbox but I assume I can have an ftp to access files from anywhere, or what frontend would you suggest is better?

ftp is fine just make sure and use sftp

Thanks, pal

>start streaming movies while I'm on campus
>ISP sends me letter about using upload bandwidth

no prob bob

unless there's some clause in your contract about it, tell em to fuck off

sounds pretty neat, i was considering a node case but went with a define r5, it's got 2x 2.5" slots and 8x 3.5" with room for expanding to maybe 14x 3.5" or so
>multipurpose media server
do explain please

mine has got 4x 8tb drives in snapraid with one of the drives for parity and 2x 1tb ssd's, one for os, logs, etc, and the other is for docker containers and virtual machines
currently occupying almost 20TB of my total 24TB hdd space so i will buy 4 additional 8TB drives to the snapraid array eventually

A common complaint with FreeNas is this; "Pool Expansion is a nightmare". But like all things in life there is a workaround, both of which is explained in the manual. Funny nobody really looks at it though.

For those with plenty of free drive bays:

Just create a 2nd pool, create new datasets/shares and set permissions to whatever you need them to be. Nothing in the Freenas book says you must use just a single pool for data. ex: You got 10 bays. You could create 2 pools each with 5 drives per pool.

For those without bays but want expansion but also don't want to re copy all data,etc.

Just replace a single drive as you would if a failure happened but your replacement drive is of a higher capacity. Replace a drive, let re sliver, then move on to the next drive. Once all drives are of the same capacity the pool space will expand on it's own. If this is a Raid Z1 then be very careful here. If at any point during the process another drive shats your data is gone. Raid Z2/3 your fine.

is it necessary to use ecc ram in my nas?

nope

Replacing freenas with a straight linux/raid/lvm setup. First reply picks my distro and fs

straight up arch

>theres even a flowchart
>doesn't post it

tinycore
fat32

aw

Yeah. All file systems trust whatever is in ram w/out question. So from the time the data moves along the buses till it hits your hdd it's in nowhere land. Ripe for shit to happen. EEC ram helps prevent that "shit" to hit. Your data gets a bit wrong, ZFS don't know it (nor does anything else). So the file system keeps tossing out the "bad" data at you. Could be a single file, could be the whole lot of it. You don't know and won't know till one day you access it and see the "bad" shit for youself. ZFS helps prevent errors on the drives themselves. It does nothing for any that may happen during transit. Which is why it says EEC ram is a requirement.

Which is why I like my HP boxes. They come with ECC ram outta the box. Just connect my UPS, toss in my drives and load a copy of freenas and I'm golden. The only way my data can go "poof" is if my house burns. I don't gotta worry about "errors" or "drive failure" or "power issues" effecting my data. Just let it work and enjoy life.

Have a failed ZFS drive but didn't label anything. Should be a fun and exciting project.

look at your drives status in freenas. drives are numbered - ada0, ada1,etc. The sata drive port 1 on mobo is ada0 under freenas.

There are 2 8-port SAS cards in the mix to spice things up.

Current line of thinking is just plug them up one by one (not sure if this ruins the array) and map them in fstab if they're aren't mapped in vsftab or whatever it's called. Then find the faulty one. It registers in lsblk but doesn't have a partition. Of course labeling them physically so this problem doesn't happen again.

Another thought is looking into how /dev devices are populated. First come first serve, I believe. And card one loads up first so that would eliminate 8 drives off gate.

Just a hobbyist so feeling my way around in the dark here.

Long as you properly offline the drive first then you'd be ok. Just pulling it out is a bad idea. Freenas has no idea what you did if you just pull it out. Do you have a backup of your data? I'd make one before you did anything.

Attached: hsg.jpg (1277x1029, 510K)

and this is why my freenas box comes with appropriate warnings.

Attached: 2019-05-31 (2).jpg (2000x1500, 616K)

more like Have Sex General amirite

just joshing, you lads are cool

I did centos/ext4 cause i don't like cock

god i wish i was in that epic thread for gamers new thread("for gamers"); java style