How to request purchase advice:

>Budget
>Source
>Type of headphone
>Open or closed
>Comfort level
>Sound signature
>Past headphones

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: Beyer hpg mirin.jpg (1707x2560, 621K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0
i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA
youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc
i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png
youtube.com/watch?v=d7aVP3ta8tk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Summit Fi

Attached: 3mpuzRG.jpg (2448x3264, 1.6M)

Redpill on STAX for newbies: STAX is an old Jap company with outdated tech that was considered high end back in the 1960s and 1970s but sounds like ass by today's standards, so they went nearly bankrupt.

They were purchased by a Chinese company for just a million dollars who decided to market STAX to the audiophool "more expensive is better" demographic who buys those crappy $3000 vinyl players, they shill heavily on HeadFi and here on /hpg/. They also leveraged STAX's prior Japanese identity to market it to weebs, using Youtubers like Zeos.

>In December 2011, Chinese loudspeaker manufacturer Edifier announced the acquisition of 100% equity in Stax

Oratory has measured the highest end STAX, the SR-009S.

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0

dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0

It's worse than the HD600. HD600 scored 92 and SR-009S scored 76.

Recently Rtings rated STAX across various dimension, it's worse in terms of sound than mid-priced offerings from Hifiman and Audeze, and only got a 7.7 rating.

i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png

In a separate study:

>The very highest end STAX ($4000 SR-009) was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701

Download the PDF of the study at: mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA

To add insult to overpriced injury, they have shitty plastic build quality that you would expect on cheap chinkshit headphones:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc

Oratory (respected sound engineer) on the build:

i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png

Even best Stax headphones sound objectively worse than mid-fi. This is why they don't demo them in store, they rely on the internet to create a sense of mystique around STAX and shill it as the endgame because its expensive, Asian, rare and obscure. In reality its no bass sounding garbage, Made in China snakeoil for the audiophool.

Attached: hifiman ananda vs STAX.png (932x719, 249K)

first for bass-fi

Attached: th909_fr.png (2273x1132, 81K)

Are any of you guys getting in on those Brainwavz Mystery Box things? Current one you get at least a pair of oval pads for 9.99, which is pretty damn cheap. Wouldn't be bad to get the HM5 or at least leather pads though.

>still posting this even though it's been thoroughly debunked multiple times
peak autism

Recommend headphones under and around 100$

the other thread isn't at bump limit

Where was it debunked? Its literally measurements and studies and opinions on build quality from respected audio engineers.

Get the D770 for $100 second hand. Replace pads and you're golden.

>this triggers the Stax incels

Attached: Stax Incel 4.jpg (720x960, 55K)

this or the same thing with Custom One Pros/Custom Studios. Get DT770 pads for the Custom One Pros.

SHP9500 is by far the best headphone available for under $100.

if you go into the archives you can see how many times it's been debunked, especially the study that "proves" stax isn't preferred in blind tests

anybody who actually read the study would see what you claimed isn't true and the whole reason stax was used in the study was that it was the lowest distortion and clearest headphone that existed. the study is testing whether people actually prefer distortion. they found no statistical difference in preference between certain levels of distortion, including the one that you're quoting.

you can also see rtings debunked thousands of times in /hpg/, yet you quote them in your pasta. rtings is literally a joke. I mean honestly the fact that you keep posting it after it's been debunked is pretty retarded. you could actually criticize stax in a way that makes sense if you wanted to, but instead you're leaning on a lot of bullshit.

Not really. It has a major problem in the 4-8khz range

Wrong. They clearly show that people preferred the sound of the AKG headphone compared to the hollow and thin sounding Stax.

Based Stax snakeoil redpiller.

Edifier marketing team on suicide watch.

Attached: lel.jpg (1600x1200, 191K)

I know this isn't usually the main focus of the thread but are there any headphones that offer good sound isolation, wireless or wired? Ideally ones that don't press hard on ears and are comfortable enough to wear ~7 hours every day?
My new office plays ultra shitty music in the background 24/7 and the old HD558s I usually carry around have proven completely inadequate in providing me with a bearable working environment. My other pair I use at home is HD650 and that's more of the same, not to mention that I'm not stuffing them into a backpack. I have a cheapo pair of on-ears but it makes my ears hurt after less than an hour.

STAX CHADS HELP ME
I CAN'T DECIDE WHAT AMP TO GET FOR A 007.
-new 353x 70000¥
-used 323s 30000¥
-new d10 80000¥
-used 007ta 70000¥
-used 007t 60000¥

Attached: a09.png (680x708, 387K)

IEMs in general
Bose QC35, but that's ANC so sounds meh but really good for isolation
UltraPhones or other specialized "drummer" headphones have good passive isolation but varying degree of sound quality, the UltraPhones itself is just using an MDR-7506 driver inside so not really all that great for something with a 200+ pricetag
DT770, there's a special "drummer" version of it which sounds way worse but has better isolation, good allrounder but really bass heavy which probably isn't your cup of tea if you have a pair of HD650
HD280 pro, no detachable cables and shit pads but sounds decent, still bassy but not at the same level as the DT770, also cheaper
Any of the RBH HP2 clones, isolation is mediocre but the sound is really good for the price which is worthwhile if isolation doesn't need to be insane, chi-fi and hard to find outside of AliExpress though

1000XM3 is the best for ANC and overall sound among noise cancelling.

If you want great noise isolation, consider the Aeon Flow Closed.

Attached: brap sniff ass.jpg (872x1067, 105K)

I don't want iems. They sound too narrow for rmy liking.

yeah. this is what I mean. that's an outright lie. there is was no statistical difference in the preference between those headphones. there wasn't a difference between most headphones. only the worst, highest distortion, headphones had any differences between them when compared to the lower distortion ones, stax included. if you actually read the article you keep posting you would realize it doesn't say anything you're trying to make it say, and in fact it heaps praise on the stax headphones for being the lowest distortion and most accurate headphones they could find.

Attached: plae.jpg (396x367, 40K)

That's probably something you're gonna run into a lot if you want good isolation from a pair of headphones.
Unless you have a very high budget that is.

Anyone tried the Ether 2? I love the way it looks and Ether C Flow sounded pretty good to me, how much of an improvement is it?

Attached: ether-2-title.jpg (1200x520, 51K)

So I actually bought a pair of Sony H900N ("h.ear on 2") because I always go for the "second most expensive is usually the best value" mantra.

And they do sound really good.

AMA.

Attached: photo_2019-06-01_23-31-23.jpg (1280x960, 152K)

based user, iems are gay

Seinheiser high end line up is a meme. There are no good Seinheiser headphones who can play music.

Can ANC cancel background music? I was under the impression that it was best for uniform noises, like background droning from crowds or engines or something. I don't care much about office sounds or people two desks over talking, it's the shitty music that I want to block out. (And I'm a new junior dev in an office of ~100 people so no I don't have any sort of weight to get the office to turn it off.)
>IEMs
I'm looking at them too, I'm just wary about comfort. I have never tried anything higher end, but my KZ ZSTs, while bearable, still aren't something I'd wear for 7 hours a day - maybe 2 hours max before really getting discomfort, and not every day. I don't know whether it's a question of finding the right ones (or even just more expensive ones - all $30 headphones I tried were alright at best, when I got the HD558 for $100 suddenly I could wear them 24/7 with zero discomfort), or just me not liking IEMs in my ears in general.

As for the other recs, thanks! I'll look through them.

the hd800 variants are absolute gamer tier trash

Unfortunately no. The typical audio shops I go to don't bring them in for some reason.

From what I see it's really light for a full size headphone.

Have you heard them though? They sound incredible. Better than HD6XX and K702.

The only decent Snapheisers are 500 series for 100$ or less.

>Can ANC cancel background music?
To a degree, but passive isolation isn't gonna do much better
It also depends on the volume and style of music.

>or just me not liking IEMs in my ears in general.
I mean I perfectly understand because I hate IEMs too, they're just far above anything else in terms of isolation and it's cheaper to get a pair that sounds decent
If you find the right tip and take great care to clean both those and your ears regularly you should be able to find something you can have for long periods of time everyday without discomfort or health issues.

>passive isolation isn't gonna do much better
what? passive isolation is the only thing that actually works well. anybody who wants actual isolating headphones can use the user's guide to making earmuff headphones that was posted here ages ago.

In terms of isolation
>regular closed headphones>ANC>dedicated isolation headphones>IEMs
From what I've been able to experience
But ANC and dedicated headphones generally sound worse at the same price point and ANC has other drawbacks.

Buy Stax

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
I also do like non-shiny keys. I just don't hate shiny keys. For instance, my A500+'s keyboard keys aren't shiny.
Been busy AF lately with insane projects at work and dealing with life nonsense. I have made some progress on my plans, by getting the AWS DevOps Pro cert on top of the Solutions Architect Pro I got last autumn. I'm currently trying for jobs in the desired location :-)
Nah, next in the list is STAX. Currently working on meeting the requisites I set myself for that.
Understandable. Similarly, my 7506 and HD598 are with my family, who are enjoying them, keeping them away from the likes of Beats.
Loving my click-chan. It does have the annoying issue where it turns off on its own every few weeks. As long as it doesn't blow up, I guess. Sending it back to china is lol, and I'm sick of soldering lately; I've been recapping my Amiga computers. while also IPA-cleaning them.

Attached: 1558994977231.png (1920x1080, 1.86M)

Bought, it broke already

Attached: stax build quality lel.jpg (4032x3024, 2.76M)

i want to, but i never get any answer

buy stax again

I want to buy mommy won't let me.

Attached: Stax incel kid.jpg (720x960, 50K)

best chink true wireless? is there better for the price than anbes 359?

no shitphones

This is a general for people interested in headphones. We're tired of idiots coming here to ask what's the best 10$ iem.
If you want to request advice here are the rules:
>no iems, there's another general for that
>at least 100$ budget, we don't give a shit about 5$ chinkshit, go to chinkshit general for that
>no wireless
>no noise cancelling
>no gayming
>no "what should i take at the gym? i want something sweat resistant" or any other bullshit that comes throug your mind
>no "i don't know anything about headphones, tell me what's the best", we're not here to spoonfeed every lazy idiot that can't bother doing any research

007t

What headphones should I get to have a girl looking at me like that?

>human ears hear the frequency response

Attached: a58.jpg (337x404, 27K)

user her look is 60% disgust 30% curiosity 10% pity
Stax

You forgot the person asking has to offer anime feet as well.

based
this should be posted in the intro of every thread

Why? Especially why vs the newer one.

What headphone is this

Attached: 1559412177019.jpg (630x420, 53K)

What are some

JVC HAFR6V

Actually looking for an entry level DAC. Not sure if I should come here or not.

>$250 USD or less
>Source: PC
>M50x kek

Thanks, anyone.

Dac, amp, or dac/amp?

Shut up faggot.
Second hand DT700/DT800
Superlux 681/668
Superlux HD660/HD 330 (330 highly recommended)
Takstar pro 82

I don't think I need an amp for my lowly OHM M50x. So just DAC

Where the fuck are you going to plug in your DAC then ?

Buy a Topping D10 DAC and plug the rca from that into any amp you want. Look at Monoprice Liquid Spark, JDS atom, or Massdrop O2. All headphones benefit from an amp.

Thanks, big dick

D10 is a bit low budget
Get an SMSL SU-8 B2 instead. Fits the budget better and is nearly state of the art.

Looking for decent workout headphones. Perferably wireless. Have 150. Would also use them on the train on my way to work. I don't think I've actually been able to discern sound signature during a jog desu lol.

Headphones are terrible for working out. The only somewhat suitable headphones are the kids porta pro.

My but whole

>Kids
Jewgle is being retarded again. I meant koss.

I doubt it'll push that bass my man
[spoiler] that's gay btw[/spoiler]

>Stax incel kid
>Incel
>Kid
Highly doubt this kid is an incel.

What is the closed back alternative of a Fidelio x2?
Basically comfy af but to be used in like an office or library or something so no sound leak

DT770 I guess

D10 sounds every bit as good as that SMSL. But if you want balanced, then sure.

what about 1770 or are they not worth it

if you go high end and dont get audeze then you are an idiot and have bad tone to your ears

Meze 99

Attached: listening tech.jpg (1753x987, 379K)

Stop whining and just recommend MDR-V6 to all these chucklefucks

sony z7?

That's what I thought but iem pointed me here lol.

>what about 1770 or are they not worth it
If you like earrape treble then sure.

I like comfiness

I mean at this point you could just have a line in the OP for anything sub 50 bucks because any and all recommendation in that price range are gonna be more or less the same 2-3 headphones since generally people asking that price range don't give much of a shit how it sounds anyway.

RBH HP2 clones
One of those Fostex T50rp mods
TH-900

My dad has those headphones or something awfully close and a huge Technics stack like this but bigger. Nice boomer tech.

>implying it's bad to have women feel disgust and pity towards you

I'm considering on buying either a hiby r6 or an LG v40 since I've read that it's quad DAC is amazing. I had a Fiio x5 3rd gen but I'm returning it because it's a laggy pos. My main headphones are an hd650 and HE4XX, which device would you guys recommend I get?

Is The Element from JDS any good?
I already have a Micca OriGen G2 but I want something with a little bit more power.

Sony MDR V6 or MDR 7506

They’re built like a fuckin’ tank. The ear pads just need to be replaced after a few years because they vinyl cracks and flakes off. You can get a good set of Beyerdynamic pads for cheap that will last a lifetime.

t. woman

I popped the original drivers out and put in the ones from my MDR-V600

Attached: Headphones.jpg (3888x2592, 1.13M)

Y

>implying we we're all trying to get laid and failing as 9 year olds

youtube.com/watch?v=d7aVP3ta8tk

What headphones should I get to listen to this song?

Attached: rs_634x1024-181107111258-634-lil-jon-donald-trump-me-110718.jpg (634x1024, 112K)

Save up and get HD600.

they're from the 60s and they sounded like an AM radio

First for END GAME

Attached: B8A65199-1300-49DF-A957-67C3A9AD07BF.jpg (3563x2673, 1.52M)

I've heard the L700 and didn't find them good for my sound preference (warmer and big sounding), what does the SR009 sound like?

What was source and energizer used when you heard l700? I’ve found tubes in the chain can go a long way towards warming/thickening up l700...but given your preference you’d probably not care for the 009, try to listen to a 007 mk2

Attached: B177AFE7-FF68-4DFD-995C-0FC838AA831E.jpg (4032x3024, 2.15M)

It was a KGSSHV Carbon.