Is 256 AES encryption for a system backup the right choice?

because everytime i tried it it took up to 10 1/2 hours.

Attached: AES-Design.jpg (600x379, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

paragon-software.com/home/hdm-windows/#
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Is 256 AES encryption for a system backup the right choice?
yea it's fine
>because everytime i tried it it took up to 10 1/2 hours.
what did?

the backup

AES is accellerated on most modern CPUs, it shouldn't add any significant time

>10.5 hours
what the fuck? it should be almost instantaneous to encrypt the whole drive since it's just writting random shit and saving the key
that's reading and writting retard that has nothing to do with encryption

then i dont know what caused this long process.

likely any other part of it, disk performance, compression, etc

the encryption is part of the options of the software im using.

not sure what it could be im using a western digital 4tb hdd.

stop using malware shit, fuck off

explain pls.

DO NOT ENCRYPT YOUR BACKUP, YOU FUCKING RETARD! ONE SINGLE BIT FLIP AND YOU LOSE ALL YOUR DATA!

paragon-software.com/home/hdm-windows/#
that dosent look quite like malware to me

Really? Fucck, i mean i thought its more or less nessacary for protection.

compare it to backing up without encrypting, if you're using a modern system with AES acceleration, you'll notice it will still take ~10.5 hours, even without accelleration, a modern cpu can encrypt faster than a hdd

there you go, large hdd's take a long time to /completely/ read/write, since their capacity has outgrown their performance (they get larger faster than they get... faster)

lets say it's a decent performing 7200RPM disk with an average speed of 150MiB/s... that's about 7.5 hours to read or write the entire disk

that's not how this works

probably I/O bound unless you're using shitty backup software, AES in >2010 is usually implemented very efficiently in hardware with AES-NI. how much data are you backing up? 2tb of files with no compression or encryption takes around 4-5 hours from a 4tb western digital red (around 120mb/s sustained read?) to a random powered external hard drive over usb 3. openssl speed and cryptsetup benchmark shows that hardware accelerated aes256-cbc can encrypt around 500 megabytes per second on my 2013 i5. if you have lots of small very files or your disk is fragmented then your disk could be doing lots of slow random reads. benchmark your disk, check whether compression is being applied before encryption which may slow the backup down significantly for efficient binary files like movies, and try different backup software.

alright thx.

if you want to make backups faster, there are options (besides buying faster disks...)
- do file-level or slack-space-skipping backups, in other words, only backup used space/files, rather than making complete disk image backups
- compression can reduce writes to the destination, which may help performance if you're limited by it
- do delta synchronization, that is, update backups by only copying data which has changed, rather than the entire thing over

encryption is just about the least of your concerns these days, its free

yea im doing differentiell backups, after one full backup.

just make a backup for the header retard