Is it really necessary to "eject" or "safely remove" flashdrives and external harddrives or can you just unplug them...

Is it really necessary to "eject" or "safely remove" flashdrives and external harddrives or can you just unplug them without messing anything up?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-01_14-30-47.png (1920x1080, 334K)

bump

Yes you fucking mouth breather. Do you rip hard drives out of your computer too?

It's not necessary but it's a good practice.

I’ve installed a pci wifi card before while Windows was running. Windows detected it and it worked like a charm :D

This.
Computer department at my company does shit this all the time. These guys are fucking brutal.

If no process are using it, no.

if something happens to be writing to the flashdrive for whatever reason and you unplug it, you'll quickly end up with a corrupted drive.

these.

Attached: .jpg (640x480, 109K)

yes, because often the data that you were transfering to that drive might end up in a buffer and not the drive itself. When you "eject" it flushes those buffers and actually writes the data to the drive.

nah not unless it's extremely important data that you don't have backed up anywhere, otherwise who cares, there's like a 1% chance it might get fucked up

I often get my drives when I eject it saying a proccess it in use on the hard drive. I just unplug the hard drive anyways because I already know I finished copying over the file.

I had one get corrupted because the lady at my apartment leasing office was too dumb to know how to eject it, and she said it wasn't necessary. I got home and it was corrupted. Never had it happen before or since though.

how to safely eject on windows? In linux Mint file explore there is "eject" option on external drive icon, but no such thing on windows

Attached: Untitled.png (260x53, 6K)

Hot swap

what is hot swap

if i haven't written anything to the device or the led is not blinking then i'll just unplug it

Fat file systems corrupt easily.

Any other one at least will know it's corrupted and tell you, fat will just not work

>he hasn't seen corrupted flash drives before

you best eject, niggy

Attached: 1559272586083.jpg (1024x768, 298K)

Depends on what filesystem you have on your USB.

eject the mother fucking thing

>that image
What the fuck

PCIe card is not the same as a hard drive lmao

what is google?

I've personally corrupted flash drives beyond repair by removing them without ejecting. Its like not wearing your seatbelt, if you keep doing it you're gonna realize you fucked up eventually

Yes, you dumb fucking retard. Kill yourself.

i almost always eject, and certainly never pull out while anything is accessing flash.
yet i had a bunch of dead flashes not even used too much, brands like verbatim.

luckily russians have great resources for reviving flashes so all my dead ones are chirping again.