Qualcomm Desktop CPU Thread

youtube.com/watch?v=ZphrqgnoZbM

Attached: Qualcomm-Snapdragon-Chip-Feature-Image-XDA-Portal-Red.png (1200x800, 253K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=android-sdk
qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-8cx-compute-platform
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

that's an ultrabook form factor laptop CPU

Great. Now give it 4 decades worth of software library to back it up and we can finally move away from x86.

>ARMshit

Attached: 1559328735053.jpg (900x1000, 243K)

>desktop CPU
>posts glorified tablet

can you use the android sdk on arm?
aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=android-sdk says
arch=('x86_64' 'i686')

>Desktop processor
>Barely beats an old mobile i5
>Can't even run natively, has to emulate
ffs.

>Can't even run natively, has to emulate
it's not the processor's fault, though

That seems purely like a marketing move to sell shittops rather than any kind of innovation that will change the market dramatically.

>making it feasible for the market to switch architectures is not innovation
what would be innovation to you?

An architecture that actually beats the old one would be a good start.

Making extremely underpowered laptops so you can "compete" in your self-made niche isn't innovation.

>twice the battery
>more performance
hmm

yes it is innovating in the market segment
I swear Jow Forums is r/gaming of technology

>it's not the processor's fault, though
A tool that doesn't work well for the thing that most people will use it for is basically useless.

OP's video clearly shows it just barely beating a low-end mobile processor from about 2 years ago, it's obviously incapable of competing with actual desktop CPUs.

but it's not competing with desktop CPUs, it's for ultrabooks...

>it's for ultrabooks..
see "Ultrabook" is a marketing meme by Intel to begin with, not something with an actual use case.

you're genuinely stupid, it's a legit market segment, this low TDP SoC beats intels offerings and is enabling real switching of architectures, apple will make this happen over night when they switch to ARM as well
retard

>these products are not for me so they are irrelevant
holy shit why didn't I know this before?

I didn't know Windows had an ARM version.

Ultrabooks are an extremely minuscule niche that barely anyone cares about and has no real competition, if that's the best qualcomm can do then it's not going to impact the market in any way.

Attached: 846.png (1147x595, 31K)

low TDP PCs are a big market, most people don't need anything more for the basic tasks they do

>desktop cpu
>posts comparison against low powered laptop cpus
Okay

ultrabooks are just a subcategory of laptops dude

even intel doesn't call them ultrabooks anymore. they're either thin n' light, ultrathin, or ultraportable

Attached: .png (1065x664, 56K)

>low TDP PCs are a big market
Smartphones are, desktops care about performance.

this shit is not for desktops brainlet

>The Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 8cx Compute Platform combines the best of the smartphone with the power and performance of a premium laptop in ultra-thin, fanless form factors to deliver a superior Always On, Always Connected PC* computing experience.

Which is the whole point of the discussion, meanwhile you have shills like OP and Qualcomm itself pretending this is in any way relevant to PCs, if the product was actually attractive you wouldn't be needing to convince me that I need something I don't actually need.

no one cares if it's for you, it's legit competing in a legit market regardless
you're pretending it's competing with some tower PC because you lack the awareness to realize there's other market segments

>legit market
debatable, ultrabooks are a complete meme that barely anyone buys or cares about since it serves no real niche that isn't already filled by other better choices

it's suitable for any low power PC form factor, it's a huge market, dude get your head out of your ass, what do you think most people use their PC for?

Not now, but this is making them desktops in the future. 10 years from now you will only own a phone. It will be your desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone all in one depending on what devices/wireless dock you have it near.

for sure and the performance it gives will be more than enough for your average person

>it's a huge market
It's clearly not considering the complete irrelevance of ultrabooks, you can argue that this will make them more popular but that's unlikely since normalfags already do everything they want in their phones.

This is the speed of phones with the form factor of a laptop, it takes the worst of both worlds to convince you that it feels a nonexistent niche.

Every low voltage intel laptop is an "ultrabook" at this point, so they're relevant.

ARM is just a different type of cancer. The real cure is RISC-V.

you're a genuine low IQ retard if you can't realize that there's a legit reason for a low power SoC to exist, it will give you a long battery life and the performance your average person needs from their laptop
>people write office documents on their phone
okay buddy I guess everything is done on the phone now

the entire entry level and low power laptop market is just irrelevant bro...
people need those sixteen threads and 1 hour battery life when they browse they do their shit on their laptops!

>ultrabook
>ultrabook
you do realize that Intel dropped the term since most modern laptops are considered """ultrabooks""" already? Outside of gaymen laptops there's barely any thing thicker than 25mm being sold nowadays. even the piss cheap laptops are thin now.

macbooks are more than enough for a huge amount of people too...

>OP says "desktop CPU"
>Qualcomm marketing it as a desktop CPU at every chance possible
>It'S nOt FoR dEsKtOpS

Attached: 1497073131071.png (232x266, 4K)

>qualcomm marketing it as a desktop CPU
>they show it in a laptop form factor, compare it to another laptop
>their site talks about the low power market and laptops

qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-8cx-compute-platform
hmm, now you show where they compare this shit to high TDP desktop processors

I hope the aarch64-laptops project finishes up with the current Windows ARM laptops and start working on these immediately.
These look like nice linux machines since linux has better ARM support at the moment.

Attached: 1554464645572.jpg (768x768, 110K)

They don't compare it to any proper CPU between it will be absolutely crushed, now look at the OP video using desktop imagery and terms to misguide consumers.

lmao you're a backpedaling brainlet

How the fuck am I backpedaling?

oh are you still insisting it's trying to compete with desktop CPUs?

the video in the OP uses laptops and those monitors are connected to those laptops

>incel getting BTFO even by a mobile chip

Attached: 873x75806WJxdAM.png (174x169, 60K)

The marketing is serving two clear purposes:
>Mislead you into thinking it's as capable as a desktop CPU by using desktop monitors and using terms like "PC"
>Mislead you into thinking you need an ultrabook

It's an intel mobile shit to begin with.

You are so wrong it's not even funny. Just kill yourself already.

are you for real? all they talk about is battery life, 5g and show laptops everywhere

contrary you seem to be obsessed with this idea it's competing with 100 watt CPUs or something and that is what people actually need

I'm not the one being misled by the marketing but people like OP and any journo under the sun are, it's pretty clear that Qualcomm wants to dispel the notion that their CPUs are only for pocket toys.

the only thing I can see is the idea that they're pushing this idea that you don't need a tower PC for the tasks they demonstrate, which is true for so many people

and even this is not something they're clearly going for, they're literally just competing in a market segment of low TDP CPUs

Yeah I have an Android phone

Anyone have one and run GNU/Linux? I'm wondering how well the hardware compatibility is with a libre kernel and drivers.

Yes and no, it's usually given what is meant, hence Apple laptops are pretty much ultrabooks too despite not running Windows. Just calling them portable premium laptops is spergy as fuck.

The NAME is a niche. The sub category is the only laptop segment that matters and where the only money is consumer computers is at (unless you're also autistic enough to count phones as computers)

That's terrifying

Attached: 1552005824833.jpg (640x480, 21K)

You do know there are ARM flavor linux desktop environments for ARM right?

AMD should revive k12

can't wait for the huawei desktop cpu

As Instruction set don't matter even MIPS,Sparc or Risc V had distro support.

But usually ARM bootloads are proprietary from Motherboard maker.

Well, the problem is that ARM allows restricting freedom, unlike x86. x86's free legacy turned out to be a blessing.

based

whatever hurts Intel it's good to me. I want one.

So this is china's endgame. They could take over the world with cheap computers like this

>qualcomm
>china
>cheap

Looks like a good programming laptop material

Really? How about those Taito Type X consoles that cannot be used for general purpose PCs? Heck, how about PS4/XBone? They lock their UEFI up too, not to say they lack a lot of instructions to run Windows/Linux