I'm thinking of writing a shell script (or a series of shell scripts that chainload themselves) that auto-partitions...

I'm thinking of writing a shell script (or a series of shell scripts that chainload themselves) that auto-partitions and installs Arch with LVM with RAID on whatever free space you indicate to it, sets up GRUB and my custom config of it, sets up a system to detect my location on the fly and automatically adjust the date and time (without pinging Google) and dynamically using red light at night so it feels better on my eyes, sets up my Emacs config, sets up the home partition backup system I wrote, sets up dwm and st and my configs of them (and a system to manage them), sets up hotkeys for controlling backlight and volume (among other things), sets up the system I wrote for managing my rice themes, sets up all my dotfiles, sets up wine and QEMU+KVM (this would be optional though, but if I chose to not set it up, it would install a command which did automatically did it if I ever wanted to anyway), sets up all the fonts I use, downloads my personal files, and installs all my packages.
Upon executing it, it'd prompt me for what password I want for root, what password and name I want for my user, and what password I want for the encrypted disk.

The point is. I think it'll take about 5 thousand lines of shell script, but I'm absolutely retarded with estimating metrics like that.. Maybe I could get it down to a few hundred lines if, for everything after installation, I just establish a private git repository with everything already done and it just git clones it onto my home partition.

What do you think?

Attached: 1547901587143.png (1366x768, 27K)

install ubuntu and get a job

/thread

I'm in college though. It takes ages and ages for me to set up everything after installing a distro (be it whatever distro). So it'll save me many, many hours on the long run. And I just chose Arch because I wanted it to be a binary distro that was rolling release, had plenty of packages and drivers (including non-free ones), a big "community" and help available online, and didn't have any installer at all (so I could script its installation).
So I think Arch is pretty much the only distribution that exists that fits my incredibly specific needs.

install gentoo

It is not a binary distro, so it's out of the window right off the gate.

For the record: I'm not a virgin neckbeard. I have a girlfriend and social life. It'll probably take me like a year or a year and a half to write.

that sounds like an autistic alternative to using something like LARBS and nextcloud. If that takes you anywhere close to 5 thousands lines you're complete garbage at shell scripting. If you're even thinking of not using git for something like that you probably have brain damage.

I wasn't thinking of echoing all the dotfiles line by line or some retarded shit like that, I was thinking of another methods for downloading my home partition that would however be more lines-of-code intensive.
I guess I'll use git.
>If that takes you anywhere close to 5 thousand lines you're complete garbage
As I said, I'm absolutely retarded at estimating how many units of x will y take.
>that sounds like an autistic alternative to using something like LARBS
I don't want to just manually install Arch and then manually install Luke's shitty rice, though. I want to pass a command and have the system and my configs install themselves. And didn't LARBS stem from autism similar to mine, anyway?

>And didn't LARBS stem from autism similar to mine, anyway?
Yeah but there's nothing autistic about taking advantage of someone's else's autism. You don't have to use Luke's rice but if you create a fork of his stuff it would save you work and you'd be able to see how he did it.. You could combine stuff from his dwm void set up and his arch set up to get what you want much faster.

why?
scripts are for repeating the same task many times either verbatim or with predictable variations
setting up a system like this for one particular person is something which need only be done once ever, there's is no reason to make a script to do this
you're writing a program to describe to the computer how to do the thing you could just be doing directly
if you want to keep a backup or clone the machine to another machine, then do that, there's no need to make a 1000-line script to regenerate a system you can just copy as it is

you have /severely/ over thought this

I mean, yes. I actually agree with you. It's just that I made an over-the-top description. It'll just basically be:

some zsh arithmetic hack to determine the best size for partitions with the free space given
follow the Arch wiki page for installation (+ the steps for LVM and RAID)
git clone to pull down my home partition (which will include all the things I actually mentioned)

I thought it'd take many lines of shell script because of a separate idea I had. But now I think this is the better (and tremendously simpler) approach.

you're probably gonna want to make a list of packages to install as well. but otherwise that's pretty much it.

if it's just restoring your own system for yourself, there's very little that needs to be configurable
for partitioning/formatting/encrypted volume/whatever, do whatever you want to here, this makes sense to be unique per machine
the best solution depends on the purpose of what you're doing is
if i were to guess, it's for setting up new machines for personal use, but not necessarily as a replacement for your current machine
in that case, i would do something like;
1. partition/format/mount/etc
2. mount source machine's root via sshfs, or use scp directly to;
3. copy rootfs from source machine
4. copy shared home folder data ('dotfiles' you want on any machine)
5. customize the image to suit new machine (new hostname, specific drivers, whatever)
that's it, just copy and modify. that's all i do

Are you retarded or something? It took my like 1 night to do this when I was new to Linux
Granted that it wasn't that pretty but it worked

It'll take me a year because I still haven't finished writing many of the things I mention in the OP, some of them take a long time (like gettings Emacs exactly right for me), and I have a life.. The script itself is trivial.

What I am interested in is what do you use to manage rice configs?

why don't you just backup your configs and dotfiles? arch install takes 5 mins, all your programs can be one line and then you just copy your files to the right places

Have sex.

that is what every smart Arch user do after first install, is to write script to automate future potential installs.
I have 2 small scripts that are like 150 lines combined that do something like this, thou it's not that sophisticated and my setup is simple.

I forgot to mention that I have all my relevant dot files/config files in git repo that's fetched at the end of installation.
I guess it won't take more than 200-300 lines of shell script to do at least 95% of what you want

No one?

I find this little circle incredibly funny

>No, I must set up the system by hand, myself, to be hardc0re
>Hmmm there are distros that are arch but have an installer
>I could write my own installer, then I would basically have that other distro
>But if it worked then I wouldn't be hardc0re

realize that you are in this for completely the wrong reasons, and also your "need" to have this script in the first place also shows how it keeps blowing up and it's a shit distro in the first place

He just didn't go throught the burn out cycle yet.
Try to implement the world in bash > burn out because it falls apart easily > decide to use some automation engine > burn out because they're all shit > throw computer in the trash > write a simple script that takes care of 80% while having 1/10 of the complexity. Or just get a job and you'll stop worrying about useless shit. Just have backups and you're fine.

The only thing that other distros install is the packages necessary for Linux to work at a technical level, their own special snowflake package manager, and then a desktop environment and all of its dependencies.
Even if I installed Manjaro or whatever, I would have to manually interact with its installer, and *then* use a shell script to switch to dwm and all the other shit. In my specific use case, it's just inconvenient to use a distro with a installer that employs a captive user interface, be it graphical or command-line.

And regarding me choosing Arch to be "hardc0re", see >I just chose Arch because I wanted it to be a binary distro that was rolling release, had plenty of packages and drivers (including non-free ones), a big "community" and help available online, and didn't have any installer at all (so I could script its installation).
>So I think Arch is pretty much the only distribution that exists that fits my incredibly specific needs.

We've seen the playing off with the casual made up reasons. If you want anyone to help you, you have one of two options. One, define why you think you need any of this and you couldn't get it done with ubuntu (you can't do this). Two, remake the thread later and don't mention that you use arch (you can't do this).

probably some implementation of pywall

> It'll probably take me like a year or a year and a half to write.
> it'll save me many, many hours on the long run.

Attached: vsauce.jpg (600x600, 77K)

It's called NixOS

Why not just install Guix or Nix, setup whatever you want, and make an ISO out of it?

>I have a life
>wants to code all that
yeah, nice bait sperg. Also all of that sounds really, really tedious. I have used linux for atleast over 5 years and never had to adjust half that BS.

>If you want anyone to help you
I made this thread for people to throw estimates at how many lines could I pull it off, and for some to comment their experiences writing scripts of that sort.
You can consider the thread finished if it annoys you.