I understand that differences between GNU/Linux distributions are minimal—you could spend an hour removing things...

I understand that differences between GNU/Linux distributions are minimal—you could spend an hour removing things from your OS or spend and hour adding things to your OS. But what is the difference between GNU/Linux and BSD? What are the differences between BSDs?

Attached: 466BBA2A-1B0B-4E4E-8653-A5B073936118.jpg (2004x1057, 950K)

Libc. Compiler. Scheduler. Security. Backwards compatibility. Package manager. Hardware support. Installation. POSIX compliance.

Forgot system calls. Manpages.

Elaborate on installation.
I always though apt and portage were the best package managers.

How would BSD help and embedded systems engineer? In other words, electrical engineer.

GNU/Linux
A successful working operating system (Linux) and set of software (GNU) that millions of businesses use

BSD
basically the culmination of the last 15 years of the hipster movement, spergs jacking off trying to get you to be interested so that they can tell you in so many words that it's really great but isn't for you

>pic
Should be, "why do people pretend to use BSD"

Linux is a kernel.

Op here.
Would I even notice a difference between BSD and Linux?

Yep, tons.

Linux:
-has software
-runs on hardware

BSD:
-you'll get asked "But why do you need to do that?"
-You'll get autisti-linked to some smug shitty hardware list full of 15 year old garbage

>installation
Package sets. FDE setup. Defining mountpoints. Disk partitioning.
>package managers
The question is not about what is "best," it is a question iof the differences. Portage pulls sources for compilation and it handles a lot of shit - lots of configuration options. Apt pulls binaries. Setup scripts. Updating. Installation. Package format. Content verification.
>how it helps an embedded engineer
Define your needs and see how the OS satisfies/fails them. Figure it out. I do not know what you need.

Are there programmers who use obscure operating systems like BSD and Gentoo Linux or are they all sysadmins? I have never met a person who uses BSD in real life.

A lot of bsd usage is using freebsd for servers, sorta like linux but even more concentrated. The amount of people that use openbsd is extremely small, and I would guess they mostly work in system programming.

No all the developers of everything use a mainstream distro. For example linus uses fedora. It's all just losers jacking off in IRC.

Linux doesn't have any software and is only compatible with specific hardware
BSD has even less compatibility with hardware and software. It can't do anything useful without its Linux compatibility layer

Linux is pozzed now. Google Intel, Samsung, IBM, and Microsoft, the Platinum Level Linux Foundation members, now direct the kernel. Linux has also gotten extremely bloated.

System D has more lines of code than the OpenBSD kernel, default userland, and X combined. It's a lost cause to stay on Linux. It's been embraced and extended, soon it will be extinguished.

>embedded systems
>wanting a package manager
bloat

Don't know about others, but I use Gentoo in production.

Im now using a very modified BSD, just look at my filename and you will know what I’m using to post.

Attached: F9E7CA35-C321-4459-96A7-FEE3F935C7DC.jpg (361x469, 83K)

Good. The GNU operating system will finally replace it with Hurd.

HURD actually works OK, I tried it a couple years ago.

>Libc.
what does this even mean. you can have the same libs with linux, plus all those gpl ones
>Compiler.
same as before
>Scheduler.
not a valid point. depends on what you are doing
>Security.
also not a valid point, you can harden up linux too, if you turn off features, drop proprietary f/w.
>Backwards compatibility.
with what?
>Package manager.
those exist in all linux distros
>Hardware support.
not valid. bsd has even problems with oss drivers, just because they are gpl... don't even get me started on the ones with the proprietary. last but not least, bsds struggle even with basic h/w functions like trim.
>Installation.
you can pick the easiest or the hardest installation on linux. I don't understand how "installation" stands as an argument.
>POSIX compliance
windows, macintosh, rhel have posix compliance.
linux has posix compliance but didn't waste money on badges.

>Linux is pozzed
>corpos direct the kernel
>bloat
I might just switch to BSD because Linux is too normie and the differences between BSD and Linux are tiny compared to the differences between Linux and Microshaft Winblows

BSDs are nice because they're not 'distros' thrown together by some mega-corps or teenager, they're total systems from the kernel to the userland to X.

Note those are points of differences rather than saying who has it better.
>libc
BSD has it different. Most distros default to GLIBC. Alpine and a variant of Void use MUSL.
>compiler
Most distros use GCC. BSDs like OpenBSD use Clang.
>scheduler
Handles CPU resources for processes. That differs between kernels.
>security
Nobody said anything about which OS does it better, moron.
>package manager
Those are implemented differently.
>audio
Again, this is done differently between OSs.
>trim
Just turn off journaling in the FS if you care about wear. Some SSDs feature firmware-level trim support, anyways.
>installation
Again, "differences" exist. That is mentioned as a neutral fact.
>POSIX
There is different levels of compliance, and the GNU core utilities do not all respect the standard AFAIK.

Think for a second before replying, fanboy. There is no opinion expressed about what OS is better. OP will have to figure it out himself what fits his needs and wants.

>to X

OpenBSD maintains its own fork of x.org called Xenocara.

openbsd would be the perfect os if it had more hardware support and virtualization

It has virtualization and all you need to do is choose proper hardware, it supports like ten architectures. Nobody thinks they should be able to run OS X on rPi, why would OpenBSD be any different here?

i want to virtualize windows on it, its not possible. i dont want to have multiple desktop computers, i prefer to do it all on one, at the same time.

>IOS is the only system that stores files using UUIDs.

Linux for workstation/getting things done, BSD for routers/firewalls/hosting, better tcp/ip stack, better auditd/accounting, cohesive, PF > netfilter, jails, etc etc

Stockholm Syndrome.

why does everything have to be so dramatic to freetards

Stockholm syndrome is using a deprecated system that does not support anything

Linux distros are essentially the same software piled on top of the same kernel with different configurations. Each BSD is its own independent OS with its own software and kernel.

you can load windows drivers in freebsd (at least for some usb-wifi adapters, etc)

back in 1990s freebsd was faster everywhere, no-brainer for server usage.
it still good for firewalling.
ipfw faster than pf and both better than (ipchains) iptables
security. you buy red hat enterprise or go with freebsd.