After decades of being a windowsfag i finally switched to ubuntu and holy shit does it look unprofessional...

after decades of being a windowsfag i finally switched to ubuntu and holy shit does it look unprofessional, literally everything about ubuntu and all linux os screams teenage contrarianism

how can you guys unironically use this garbage?

Attached: randomubunutudesktop.png (1366x768, 406K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/
h-node.org/hardware/catalogue/en
reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/bvm866/can_we_please_get_rid_of_this_vista_ass_ugly/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Turn off GNOME and go for KDE instead

>installs chrome on linux
and there goes the only advantage of linux

Good.
Please go and stay go

You should have installed Kubuntu you drooling idiot. What you're calling garbage there is GNOME(tm), the worst DE ever devised, it's no wonder you think it sucks. Now, run
sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
and fuck off

Why is GNOME even used nowadays...

if you dont like anything just change it

Attached: 2018-05-12-15-25-03-1.jpg (384x494, 39K)

thats not my desktop retard
ok will do, nothing can be worse than this garbage

>unprofessional
>i want my kernel mode scrollbars and 3 different settings styles back pls

>unprofessional
>literally the OS of choice of every relevant tech company
Sounds like a You problem.

>its used by high tier autists, therefore it doesnt look childishly retarded

I really want to like linux and every once in a while i try another distro.
but everything OP said is right. the year of the linux desktop will never come because most people do not want to play with their OS, they want to work and/or play with their applications. besides, everything GUI-wise on linux seems, i can't explain it, large and unprofessional.

If you want “professional” install Fedora.

so? install other DE???
or feel free to make your own...

>switches to a new os
>too stupid to learn it
>blames the os
cope

This.
I honestly didn't get it. I thought the biggest reason why anyone reasonable refuses to touch Linux is because the GUI is useless and pointless since you have to do everything with the command line anyway. But no, the real reason is that even IF the GUI were useful, it'd still be designed by raging incompetents who can't do graphic design to save their lives.
I'm chocking it up to the fact that the only people that actually put work into developing Linux are big corporations who only need it to power their servers so who fucking cares what it looks like anyway. Leaving the raging freetard autists to design the actual Linux desktop, and they suck at it.

Post how it went

>"haha guys it's the year of the desktop linux!! wangblows users btfo!!"

GNOME != Linux

How hard is it to wrap your brain around this?

>need to install entirely new desktop environment just to use the OS
>configure the defaults to something more sane just to use the OS
>configure security and privacy settings just to use the OS
>install programs that should've been installed by default just to use the OS
>"brainlet can't do it! go back to wangblows"

You've been GNOME'd

>it look unprofessional
1: change wallpaper/lockscreen background
2: change icon theme
3: ???
4: profit
literally 2 minutes

GNOME can look pretty good though its mostly ubuntus color scheme with Adwaita that is hideous

you need to do none of these things retard

Just use Windows then you drooling retard

Nah, you just need to install a different OS that has all these by default, like Kubuntu.

By not using that steaming pile of shit called GNOME, switch to Kubuntu or Xubuntu

>>need to install entirely new desktop environment just to use the OS
THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING WRONG WITH GNOME. yes, you heard that right. if you think otherwise you are objectively an braindamaged autist
>>configure the defaults to something more sane just to use the OS
bs, ubuntu/fedora works ootb
>>configure security and privacy settings just to use the OS
sounds like windows
>>install programs that should've been installed by default just to use the OS
what, like chrome or vlc? like you dont have to install those on windows

OP literally said Ubuntu is unusable because of GNOME, thus needing to change it

>install different OS just to get to work

gnome-3.x was gnome's lame attempt at making a mobile device environment that also works on desktops & laptops, instead of forking so you have one environment for desktops & laptops and another environment for mobile devices they created that kludge they have now

>"year of the desktop linux"
>"go back to windows"
How do you even plan on making people switch to Linux if you're going to be an arrogant ass?

>>literally the OS of choice of every relevant tech company

is that right?

Precisely. This is the next step for (You).

>need to install entirely new desktop environment just to use the OS
this is a feature and can be avoided by simply picking an out of the box distro
>configure the defaults to something more sane just to use the OS
gnome 3.32.2 works just fine
>configure security and privacy settings just to use the OS
nope
>install programs that should've been installed by default just to use the OS
such as?
just go with any number of GUI install distros

no one cares about what os average people use.
a dumb faggot like you is far away from being able to submit a good bug report, your value in the linux community is exactly 0.
just stick with windows.

Ubuntu’s color scheme might not be for everyone, I personally like it because it’s not as soulless. Ubuntu 18.04 looks pretty bad by default, the newer versions that use Yaru theme by default look much better. Regarding GNOME; yes it’s different than your traditional Windows desktop. If you want another traditional Windows-like desktop environment you’d be better off using KDE or Cinnamon. You can make GNOME into a traditional desktop by installing a bunch of extensions, but that’s not really the main goal of GNOME.

Who cares about looks? Are you a woman?

>designed by raging incompetents who can't do graphic design to save their lives.
Have you seen wangblows

>linux
>linux os
>os
What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux. Linux is a non-free operating system kernel. GNU is the userland (the collection of programs that run on top of the kernel). Likewise, the combination of Linux and GNU makes a complete and functional operating system which is called GNU/Linux. To call the whole operating system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing since it embargoes credit to Linus Torvals and his contributors and turns them away from GNU's goals. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

>Linux is a non-free operating system kernel
What did you mean by this

You want professional shit and yet you install a distro named "Ubuntu" and "Bionic beaver". Are you retarded ?

what you implying is sounds like you are trying to install gentoo or some source based shits because non of you implied isn't true, you must be the guy with a lot of toolbar installed on your browser and always click next on windows installer and unaware you just installed malware on it

Linux, as you get from Torvalds is non-free because of the binary firmware blobs it ships with. To make it free you need to use a deblobed version of it which uses no proprietary software at all, such as Linux-libre which is used in FSDG endorsed distributions of GNU/Linux

fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/

>uses winblows
>has the nerve to insult unix

Later faggot

see

Actually GNOME 3 works pretty well. It has visual representation designed to account for touch devices but at the same time you can efficiently use the keyboard (especially if you install a couple extensions). The biggest problem I see is that it's plagued with javascript. I liked it on my X201T.

>get Linux-libre distribution
>install non-free Linux anyway to use my wifi card
Forgive me Stallman.

go back to windows, linux is just for autistic neckbeards

Fuck you. I'll give you a (you). The only people ever mentioning "year of the desktop linux" are brainlets like you that use it as an argument when they don't get spoon-fed the solution to setup Linux distro to be as cool as their computer-literate friend. I never asked for retards polluting mailing lists and open source communities.

GNU/Linux-libre distribution*
Better not happen again. I also hope you'll get better hardware which works with free software as using proprietary software means letting someone have power over your computing.
GNU/Linux*

see

>I also hope you'll get better hardware which works with free software
I tried to. I got T60. Then I discovered Libreboot doesn't work with ATI graphics which is partly why I got that T60 (I wanted it to at least have better GPU than my X201s).

Die in a fire, faggot.

i absolutely couldn't give less of a fuck about normalfags being too retarded to switch to linux.

h-node.org/hardware/catalogue/en

>The only people ever mentioning "year of the desktop linux" are brainlets like you
kek, okay jakeesh

what's that fashtag there on corner? are you nazi?

for servers definitely. but I doubt for desktops and notebooks

cope

Every fucking time.
Don't you have fbs to hax?

no, but i want to be one

cope

I know nothing about linux. Is it seriously that easy to get a new UI? Everytime I tried Ubuntu I tasted vomit. Everytime I tried linux I tried Ubuntu.

It's hard being a winfag. It's all I know. I do want to change that.

KDE is the komfiest DE.
Try Kubuntu in a VM/Live USB.

Yeah, on most distros it really is that easy, and ubuntu for instance comes with plenty of different DEs. You might have to logout and select the new DE from the menu afterwards, but that's about it.

I recommend you do what other user says and try Kubuntu out

>Is it seriously that easy to get a new UI?
Yes.

>Everytime I tried Ubuntu I tasted vomit
Then try out Xubuntu or Kubuntu.

And what will he use idiot?

Welcome to GNU+Linux+virginity.

It's either XFCE or MATE, basically the same thing - freetarded ugly Windows XP period interfaces, but at least somehow stable (if you ignore things like mounting removable storage devices in file manager or strange behaviour when copying shit between these devices in file manager and you're ok with setting something as basic as system time through init system in terminal).
Window managers are fullblown obsessive hobbyist autism for people with nothing much going on in their lives, but you can store them settings dotfiles on Git I guess and observe your body attaining that pear shape over the years.
Budgie is somewhat feature-crippled Windows 7 UI more or less, might be cosidered stable for now, may die within a year.
KDE and GNOME are unstable unreliable junk that nobody seriously uses, like why would you use something that may freeze and crash within an hour, but corporations pour money in them anyway.

Run a headless server in VM and get a Mac.

>KDE
ah yes, THIS is what true professionalism looks like!

Attached: le kde face.png (842x850, 120K)

Cheers. I'm looking at Kubuntu right now. It looks pretty amateur to be fair but less ugly than Ubuntu.

Any bad word on Linux Mint? I hear that thrown around a lot? Does any of this shit even make a difference?

I mostly just use my machine to program and play some pretty light games. But if it looks like Windows 98 I can't handle it.

install LXQt

>installs the distro for novice braindead users
>Installs all of the propietary garbage he used on windows
>runs the most childish de out there
>"REEEEEE!! Fucking Linux is for kids "
If you are so stupid to shit on all Linux because you didn't like Ubuntu, please go back to Windows

Now compare it to the professionalism of Windows 10 and its CandyCrush and other mobage games plastered all over the start menu

Mint is basically Ubuntu with their own DE. Kind of redundant but it should be ok.

then you definitely should use professional JAVA UI on Windows because TWO professional software giants full of oldfags worked on it for decades

fucking retarded imbecile

he is too dumb to know that this is possible

ltsc does not come with candycrush. i fail to see the issue.

Attached: linux users.gif (468x480, 44K)

Did Konqi fuck Katie in the end?

It's pretty much Ubuntu and it's popular among windows refugees because its desktop environment(Cinnamon) is very windows-like, feel free to check it out.

Attached: cinnamon.png (1920x1200, 1.06M)

Privacy wise are they all similar? Privacy is pretty much the reason I'm wiling to abandon my safe space, a large portion of my games and a handful of programs and jump ship.

Like, I'm decently sure Microsoft knows I typed this.

This. Been on and off linux for 16 years. It sucked even more before. It was sloooow. I think it was X.
Distro hopped so much. I now have laptop with arch+kde, it's okay, but it still looks unpolished and unprofessional. It's true for a lot of foss software.

>I just swapped my car for a different car
>the new car is garbage compared to the old one.
>there arent even any winders on the side windows to make them go down
>This new car doesnt even have a cranking handle
>to start the engine in cold weather
>How do you guys use this garbage

It's just the perspective. Normalfag OS vs Normalfag OS.

Just like how i don't see a green dragon and emojis on my Alpine install.

Do you have anything worth knowing for Microsoft? Literally billions of people use Windows, chances are you're not that interesting.
If privacy is the only reason you wanna switch to Linux I'd advise against it, save yourself the hassle.

THIS is what Inconsistency/unprofessional looks like

reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/bvm866/can_we_please_get_rid_of_this_vista_ass_ugly/

you're putting my comment out of context, one of the posts i was quoting suggested to use KDE after OP complained about ubuntu/gnome looking unprofessional. this heavily implies that this person thinks KDE looks more professional.
reality check: it doesn't.

Probably not. It's still not their business, is it? If that's your answer I'd advise against it, save yourself the face.

You have to tweak a little bit to make KDE or XFCE to look nice.

reddit

Attached: 1552516117499.jpg (720x568, 26K)

>Privacy wise are they all similar?
Yes, they're free software, so there's no telemetry shit in, you could even audit the source code for any potential botnet.

who gives a flying fuck whether it looks professional, except for teenage girls?

>so there's no telemetry shit in
'Cept that one time, Ubuntu.....

this is entirely irrelevant to the point i was making.

>"pretentious, who, moi"?

You thinking only teenage girls care means you're not qualified to judge who cares. It's a self fulfilling narrative. Either they're stupid and shouldn't or teenage girls. You should stop and ask, "wait, maybe more than teenage girls care". Careful, you might learn something.

i'm really not sure what you're trying to get at.
guy one said gnome looks unprofessional, guy two suggested using kde instead since he apparently thinks it looks more professional, guy 3 (me) posted the kde exclusive avatars, giving hard evidence that kde doesn't have very professional gui design.

when someone says cola tastes like shit and some other guy suggests drinking pepsi instead you can call that person out on their retarded suggestion.

what the fuck is your point?

Attached: lesscreepy.png (800x300, 39K)

Honestly unless you are using everything inside a window manager (which requires a significant amount of time and patience), the desktop experience on Linux just sucks compared to every alternative OS. You can tell the desktop side of Linux (i.e. DE teams) was created by programmers for programmers with little thought into UX and HCI and it makes for a clunky experience.

Don't listen to the rest, Gnome is one of the few DEs that just werk and most development focus goes towards it. I use KDE but I can't imagine a non-developer using it and having to customise everything. Customisation in KDE is a bad experience even though it is the most customisable DE, but also the buggiest. You could try Mint as I think it is the distro that went of it's way to encapsulate everything outside the terminal, but you will just ask 'why is this shit so ugly.'

ALSO:
>there is no way to increase scroll speed through the GUI in ANY DE in Linux; KDE's old menu does not work. (Or via terminal legitimately FYI)
>there is no way to disable mouse acceleration via any DE
>font rendering is disgusting and development on improving it is at a standstill since some guy went AWOL
>software is buggier than its Windows or OSX counterparts
>if you have NVIDIA your experience will be even worse too

There's so much shit I hate about the desktop experience, I am only using it out of my hatred for Windows 10. It shouldn't be like that.

The name calling effectively gave it away, he has no point.

How exactly does Linux look unprofessional? What parts lf it scream teenage contrarianism?

Please elaborate, OP. I am very interested in your opinion.

Works on my machine