/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: tfw ricing while high.png (512x512, 193K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxreviews.org/YouMustUpgradeNOW
fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade#Can_I_upgrade_from_an_End_of_life_release.3F
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_version_history
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
shellcheck.net/
wiki.archlinux.org.
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
foo.net/bar.jpg
github.com/arybczak/ncmpcpp/blob/81cb7a4f85287ce2671beca9023048f4de41ddf0/src/display.cpp
askubuntu.com/questions/484982/what-is-the-difference-between-standard-syntax-and-bsd-syntax
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Linux_console/Keyboard_configuration#Loadkeys
flatkill.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

!!! NEW KERNELS 4.9.x-5.1.x, YOU "MUST" UPGRADE NOW !!!
linuxreviews.org/YouMustUpgradeNOW

Speaking of upgrading...

I'm running Fedora 26. The current release is 30.
fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade#Can_I_upgrade_from_an_End_of_life_release.3F
>You can try to upgrade through intermediate releases until you reach a currently-supported release, or try to upgrade to a currently-supported release in a single operation. It is not possible to state with certainty which approach is more likely to be successful.
What should I do? What could break?

How is crux? Who here uses it?

does debian packages close to upstream? i always heard that they patch packages heavily (probably to backport security fixes) and introduce debian-specific changes
btw, does packages in different releases (e.g. stable and unstable) have different degree of patching?

Poor man's gentoo. Use a BSD system if you just want the ports.

On debian the recommended way is to upgrade to every release but since the chances of fedora breaking during an upgrade are already pretty high it doesn't matter much.

I would read all the release notes from the intermediaries versions and look for something on you system that might break.
Then I would go straight to 29 or 30. Probably 29 and stay there.

I run Ubuntu ARM64 on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+. It works perfectly and is very stable but for some reason, after rebooting I cannot connect to the WiFi specified in the wpa_supplicant.conf unless I perform the following commands
sudo wpa_supplicant -BW -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0

sudo dhclient wlan0
Then the WiFi works fine. But it’s kinda tedious. Is there any way to fix this without making a service that does this at boot?

Attached: 1703A8BE-C68F-4EE6-B16E-29DFC8FAC0CC.jpg (524x524, 76K)

Ok. Thanks!

In version number they are usually very far from upstream unless it's a fresh debian release. In security updates they are usually on par or ahead of upstream. They sometimes are ahead because debian does a lot of testing, finds bugs and submits to the devs.
Stable and Unstable might have different degrees of patching but stable will always be more secure.

> after rebooting I cannot connect to the WiFi specified in the wpa_supplicant.conf
Well, is this file even used after reboot? Maybe there's a network-manager install which uses something else?

One more thing. How to get notifications of a new Fedora release? Or should I just check the date online and be done with it?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_version_history

They are both services, one or both of them is disabled. Probably dhcp.

you need to write a bash script to automatically run them commands on start up.

my debian is randomly freezing up on me, the point of
N O R E T U R N
mouse movements don't work, keys don't work, I've tried reisub but the nature of the shitty new thinkpad keyboards is that no one seems to know where the SysRq key is, whether it's Fn+PrtSc or Fn+S, either way it's not doing shit. I have to hard shutdown via holding the button every fucking time. thankfully it doesn't happen to often, about once or twice a week, but that's more than zero. any guesses?

Someone in the other thread said "X freezing because of driver problems" but I'm leaving this here for any extra input

G-guys I regret installing kubuntu-desktop. I just want a windows manager instead.
How to remove without bricking the core?

Anyone managed to gleam from the changelog exactly WHY the Greg is telling everyone that we "must" upgrade (I've complied with his demands)?

It seems a bit odd that there's no indication in the mailing list. Something tells me there's some exploit or something which will be disclosed in a CVE in a week or two.

more simpler than arch

1. aptitude install $WINDOWMANAGER
2. select $WINDOWMANAGER on login screen instead of Plasma

apt autoremove kubuntu-desktop
apt install windowmanager

How are the dated are ubuntu packages generally? I miss the debian style no bullshit distros.

just installed my first gnu/linux distro coming from windows. What are some things I need to learn and where do I learn them? I want to be intimately familiar with everything going on in my computer.

It'll probably leave a ton of residual shit on his hard drive even with autoremove, but it should work anyway

y u dont like kde?? get openbox tho if ur gonna do it

They're relatively new, a lot newer than debian stable. Ubuntu or debian testing, thems are comfy

learn about your package manager find out how to command it to list all the packages installed on your system.

type man 'whatever package name is'.

use the top command to see what processes are running.

if your a true wizard of course you can go through source code and actually see how everything is working but with them commands you can learn about what is doing what. learn the command line stuff.

surely just misinterpretation/misguidance on their part?
>all users should upgrade
>all users must upgrade

look at arch and gentoo documentation they will teach you a lot also.

>reddit spacing
Works for every distro more or less.
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

unlikely. The Greg sent out separate release-announcements for all the stable branches. That's quite a few e-mails and all of them have the "must" demand.

is greg perhaps of indian or asian descent?

I don’t think I have Network manager

Doing only one of them won’t work
That’s what I thought

>Doing only one of them won’t work
Them both are disabled.

Nvm I do seem to have NetworkManager
nmcli d wifi list does list all the newrby WiFis

However when I try to connect, it hangs for 30sec before printing
>Error: Connection activation failed: (53) The Wi-Fi network could not be found

Could be because of conflicts with wpa_supplicant?

> The Wi-Fi network could not be found
From my understanding of wi-fi device model on Linux, some software can gain exclusive access and prevent other software to access the wireless device. Disable either of them, reboot, work out the problem.

He's 100% whitey. He looks like a stereo-typical whitey. Like a picture of him would be fitting when you look up white man in the dictionary

Attached: thegreg.jpg (474x266, 31K)

Nice try, The Greg.

Attached: pajeet microsoft.png (639x727, 943K)

Always read the manpage to a program. Additionally read the infopages for GNU utilities, usually these contain addidional information.
Learn the core utils; $ info coreutils
Learn the filesystem: $ man hier
Dig into the proc pseudo-filesystem: $ man proc

Learn bash at mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide and install shellcheck.net/

Pick a topic and read the related article at wiki.archlinux.org. never stop visiting this website, no matter which distro you're on.

Get this free PDF linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php - and replace every Linux with GNU/Linux while reading. :^)

gnu stow or xstow?

Gnu

What's the most minimal install of vim that lets me have a .vimrc file, or at the very least, syntax highlighting?

If you installed something simple to use, stick with it and just use it. If you want to get good with the command line, install Gentoo.
Broken X install? Try reinstalling it, maybe? If it's a driver issue, perhaps drivers are available in the nonfree repo?

mfw ricing

Attached: 55867472-288-k990779.jpg (288x450, 15K)

syntax enable
filetype on
indent on
plugin on

I have a dual-boot system running both Windows 7 and Linux. I want to switch distros, but without disturbing the Windows installation. Can I just blow away the Linux partition, boot the new distro's installer, install to that now-empty partition, and expect that to work?

install gentoo

What's faster/more efficient?

mv today.jpg yesterday.jpg
wget -O today.jpg foo.net/bar.jpg

Or

cp today.jpg yesterday.jpg
wget -O today.jpg foo.net/bar.jpg

Depends on the filesystem.

Ext4.

mv is always faster if both files are in the same directory.

assuming both files already exist, first one has an unlink operation (today is deleted) which the second doesn't

Doesn't matter on cow filesystems.

Yes, both today and yesterday exist. So overwriting two times is faster?

what mv does here depends on whether yesterday.jpg currently exists
if it doesn't, today is renamed, and you only have metadata to write
if it does, today's data clobbers tomorrow's, tomorrow may be extended/truncated if they differ in size, then today is deleted

you'd have to benchmark it to be sure, but i think the second option makes more sense, since there's no need to delete today.jpg, you're not intending to remove either file, only replace their contents

Posted about this in the last thread.
>can't enter "x" or "X" into any terminal, except when entering username/password
>same with various ttys
>can enter x/X anywhere else
>keyboard-independent

>when I copy-paste text into the terminal (be it terminator, xterm, et c) the x's in the text disappear and is replaced with nothing (not even a blank space)

any clues?

check different fonts, locales, and keyboard layouts

Ok, thanks!

overwriting is certainly faster than creating a new file (no required metadata updates), but it might end up the same if you have to resize the overwritten file (your jpeg's are unlikely to be the same size each day, so the metadata for filesize needs updating anyway)

font-independent, locale-independent, same keyboard layout as always. I had multiple 32-bit installs just like this, but I've encountered this for the first time now on 64-bit.

anything like xmodmap setup?

>but it might end up the same if you have to resize the overwritten file (your jpeg's are unlikely to be the same size each day, so the metadata for filesize needs updating anyway)
They are always the same size.

Does it happen if you log in as a different user with a clean home directory?

if they're exactly the same size, then overwriting them is the cheapest thing you can do, if you have atime disabled as well, there may not be any metadata updates required at all

>if you have atime disabled as well
What's that?

I don't know? Never used it knowingly.

Yep! Weird, huh?

filesystem access time updates
it's a filesystem feature where each time you access (open) a file, the time this happened is written as part of the file metadata
since most programs don't depend on this information these days, it's common to disable it, or set it to only update when the file is modified (which is written either way as a separate feature)
it's a mount option for most (all?) filesystems, "noatime" (or "relatime" for update-on-modification)
if you're sure you don't need access times, it can be a bit of free filesystem performance

Attached: a.png (329x204, 15K)

How can I change the "Track" column header to say something else in ncmpcpp?

Attached: 1557390716785.png (753x208, 52K)

ps. setting noatime means access times only get set on file creation, effectively making it a file creation date. who says unix doesn't have file creation times?

Oh I see, thanks.

I just switched from Arch to Void on my X220, same setup but the fan start spinning way often on Void. Any idea why? I'm using a custom thinkfan profile for now but it's still annoying, not sure if the system is actually running hotter tho.

probably here;
github.com/arybczak/ncmpcpp/blob/81cb7a4f85287ce2671beca9023048f4de41ddf0/src/display.cpp

Eh, I'd rather not recompile it manually, I have no idea how to build a package.
I ended up disabling headers altogether.

I have to use OSX for work and I'm routinely annoyed about the BSD implementations of useful programs like find and grep. I hate the differences in arguments/flags probably the most.

What would people recommend if I want to use more GNU(-like) implementations (assuming leaving OSX is not an option for me)? There are some packages through Homebrew I can install I know, I'm wondering if there other options out there.

Aliases?

Why are freetards so FUCKING HANDICAPPED.
I support "the cause", I truly do. But I cannot and do not want to be associated with some kike that eats its own foot flakes and some self mutilating stealing tranny.

Why aren't there any non-autistic normal functioning people that fight for free (FREE AS IN MUH FREEDOM NOT AS IN FREE BEERRRRR XD) software.

Attached: 1420906950333.jpg (733x619, 256K)

I have considered this, but I think each utility is too different to just alias everything. He's an example of a difference between ps on both BSD and GNU: askubuntu.com/questions/484982/what-is-the-difference-between-standard-syntax-and-bsd-syntax

I could just alias my most frequently used combination of flags to their BSD equivalent, but that would be a lot of manual work and I'm still stuck with the BSD implementations.

How do I temporarily remap a key or key combination to another key?

I've tried using xte with xbindkeys but it doesn't seem to work

specifically what I did was make the 'a' key run the command xte 'key a' just to test it out and it doesn't work, however when i write xte 'key a' in the terminal it works just fine

Grab yourself some heavy stones and jump in a sea before you can do any more harm to the world.

Mental illness is an occupational hazard in anything computer related. Stallman and h26tranny haven't written anything of consequence for many years, and they both looked normal (for programmers) when they were productive.

Attached: richard-stallman-photo.jpg (400x326, 35K)

Any GUI for managing flatpak? That you could manage installed apps, repos, builds, cache, permissions.
I have flatpaks from multiple sources and my own repos. It's really annoying to remember all the options and clean up after you do test builds.

Attached: flatpaked.jpg (1200x900, 97K)

and sdk, runtimes, etc

if only there were such a thing as a package manager

Are you trying to remap keys or are you trying to bind a key to run a command? You seem to mention both in your post.

If you want to remap keys use "xmodmap". First run "xev" to find the keycodes (for instance, my "a" key is keycode 38)
then assign them like:
>xmodmap -e "keycode 38 = b"
Now when I press my a key it prints a b.

Don't troll here. Last warning.

Also xmodmap is just for Xorg. If you really want it to apply to the whole system even outside of Xorg (like on TTY for example) then use "loadkeys" instead
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Linux_console/Keyboard_configuration#Loadkeys

>>Broken X install? Try reinstalling it, maybe? If it's a driver issue, perhaps drivers are available in the nonfree repo?
Should I reinstall xserver-xorg-core, xinit, or both? I'm on intel graphics but removed xserver-xorg-video-intel like debian said to, maybe i should reinstall that one too

Did you try flatkill.org/

>t. fud spreader canonical employee

Attached: snab.png (442x155, 8K)

Don't worry, this applies to anything similar to it as well. Not sure why that website has such a rage boner for flatpack, they're all fucking garbage.

does anyone know what this means in layman terms? It appears on boot:
[ 2.139272] usbhid 3-1.6:1.1: couldn't find an input interrupt endpoint
Both mouse and keyboard work fine so I assume it's safe to ignore but i'm curious. (I've never seen those messages before since I've always used PS/2 for all input devices)

That dialog is basically why I don't use Ubuntu anymore. I was getting that on a completely fresh Xubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 installs back when they were things (2015-late 2016) and I could never figure out why or what was failing. The only thing I regret is that it took me as long as it did to switch.

Pretty sure that both of those were before they started going to snap for basic default programs though, so not directly related to what you're saying.

step 1: change your website's favicon to the glider from Conway's game of life
step 2: share some bullshit from E S Raymond
step 3: be now ebin redpilled FOSS advocate

Is there a small gui utility that will let me use one gtk theme for the inner window design and widgets, and a different theme for the titlebars and titlebar buttons? gtk-chtheme wont let me do this but in KDE i can, however i do not want to use KDE or a DE at all

Don't worry, snap is shit as well.
Package managers are where it's at.

new to linux, just installed kali
any tips?

not sure without googling it but linux and dmesg in general spew out a lot of debug shit that you don't need to worry about, it just takes a few release cycles for bug reports to come through and for the devs to correct when it needs to be shown

>and a different theme for the titlebars and titlebar buttons?
That's not GTK. That's just your window manager theme.

Stop using Google

Oh. Well openbox's obconf lets me use a GTK theme as its whole theme, you know of any way I could use a separate theme for the titlebars?

Can i use live parted magic to make an image of a password-protected (NOT encrypted) windows 7 partition and then access it aswell? As in backing up that stuff to another HDD but without the user password being prompted

Alternatively can i remove the administrator password aswell locally

The password needs to stay intact in this case... Is it also possible to read the password via parted magic from hyberfile sys or something

Attached: 1559245690424.png (512x512, 108K)

windows passwords mean nothing outside of that installation of windows
you can access all the files normally from any livecd
>Alternatively can i remove the administrator password aswell locally
chntpw
>Is it also possible to read the password via parted magic from hyberfile sys or something
i doubt windows is dumb enough to leave the cleartext password in memory after logging in