Troubling trend

I keep finding software only being distributed as debian .deb or red hat .rpm and no source offered.

I don't use a distribution based on either of these let alone a distribution. I just run plain old Linux because I don't want some fucked up committee altering software to run in their environment.

What am I supposed to do in these situations? Is this where purists get marginalized?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 7.03.12 AM.png (915x294, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tecmint.com/convert-from-rpm-to-deb-and-deb-to-rpm-package-using-alien/
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1676492
cloudconvert.com/deb-to-tar.gz
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>I keep finding software only being distributed as debian .deb or red hat .rpm and no source offered.
It's called proprietary software and a purist like you shouldn't use it in the first place.

Write your own goddamn software you lazy nigger.

debs are trivial to extract, dpkg is a glorified gunzip

>i don't run a distribution
Yeah, you totally put in the effort of keeping up with software releases yourself, the patches and everything else required to have a functioning and safe operating system.
What a fucking poser, consider disconnecting yourself from the internet to spare everyone the bandwidth you fucking retard.

>get marginalized
Purists are like 2% of Linux's 2% of the desktop market...

>compiled binary section
>hurr where is source

dont't be jelly bitch

linux newfag

Hi Pajeet, in "let alone" phrases, you use the general example first and then the specific example second. This ordering is very important. The sentence should've been:

"I don't run a distribution at all, let alone a distribution based on either of these."

Thanks for tuning into your English lesson for the day.

you don't have the mental capacity, let alone the free time, to understand the source code of almost all of the software you use.

>muh package manager
just unpack it and install it you fucking moron.

Attached: hackers.jpg (666x1000, 116K)

and that's a good thing faggot!
.deb is the most stable format that works on even the oldest systems.

.deb to rpm
tecmint.com/convert-from-rpm-to-deb-and-deb-to-rpm-package-using-alien/

.deb to tar
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1676492

these contain generic precompiled binaries. where are all the source files like we used in the 2000's and before.

This is a Debian and Red Hat territory grab. They are trying to steer Linux into something they alone control.

that's not the point, the point is he wants the source so he can compile and install on whatever distro he's using.

numbnuts

Debian doesn't have a corporate owner like Ubuntu(Canonical) or Redhat.

Also Debian is 1 year younger than Slackware.
With it being the 2nd oldest used distro It's bound to have a foot hold in the pacakge format game.

More Jow Forums FUD though please.

Here ya go brainlet.
cloudconvert.com/deb-to-tar.gz

zoomers cant figure out configure; make; make install

that's what he wants to do but you can't do that without source code

trusting botnet involvement no thanks

Just unpack them if you really need that software. Debs and rpms are just archives. Also if you really care about purity then just use foss stuff, then you'll always have the source.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 12.28.20 PM.png (1638x348, 283K)