Thoughts on the microsoft "modern OS" that's coming?

thoughts on the microsoft "modern OS" that's coming?

Attached: 1534439931904.png (310x163, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2019/5/29/18643857/microsoft-windows-lite-modern-operating-system-computex-2019-hints
businessinsider.com/google-apple-microsoft-competing-dominate-education-technology-market-2018-11
zdnet.com/article/will-the-enterprise-help-triple-chromebook-sales-by-2017/
windowscentral.com/windows-core-os
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Windows_Platform
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it will be non-free software

Just more spyware and bloatware. Fuck Microsoft and fuck all their shills.

the source code will be (intentionally) kept behind closed doors

you will not be allowed to know or edit the internal workings to your likings

as such any changes you do make will be illegal and you wont be able to share them freely

you wont be able to learn from it and apply your learnings elsewhere for the greater good™

>thoughts on the microsoft "modern OS"
>thoughts
Not possible. Botnet OS do not reward thinking, they reward doing exactly what microsoft says and not questioning anything.

"modern" aka always connected to the internet scam for tech illiterate normies that will throw away all privacy/security/dignity so long as the marketing is right
Probably trying to take shots at ChromeOS. It hopefully won't go anywhere.

Wasn't win10 supposed to be the last OS that they were just planning on updating forever?

I'm really looking forwards to the "last version" that keeps updating.
Eventually they will get PXE setup by default so I can throw out my drives.

I'm all in on the botnet desu because it's so convenient and saves lots of money and time.

Imagine not even requiring a HDD/SSD anymore?
Just have MS use PXE to boot the OS over the cloud.
They can even offload processes for you too.
No backups, no dead drives.
Less potential failures and if it does you aren't liable they are.

Also with tighter MS store integration it stops boomers from downloading trash from the browser.
No more sideloaded malware,adware,toolbar addons.

Seems like they are finally understanding what the mass majority of people would like for a OS.

They just need to now work on more cortana speech.
I want to move away from the keyboard/mouse and have it all voice activated kind of like the echo.

What is going on?

WTF are you talking about, tard?

XBOX/PC merge.
Store installed programs have signed priority.
Rolling release updates instead of version release.
Deprecated DX9/D3D9.
Potential drop of 32-bit kernel support with applications routed to a legacy userspace compatibility stub

They lied. They have always lied.

theverge.com/2019/5/29/18643857/microsoft-windows-lite-modern-operating-system-computex-2019-hints

sounded like it was for cellphones and mobile devices.

makes sense, no one really expected them to give up on the mobile sphere forever.

How is this different from the S versions they were trying to force onto their Windows 10 users?

Wasn't Windows 10 supposed to be the last one they will release?

recently went back to windows 7

10 has been more of a pain in the ass than vista for me

>learning how to use computers.

Same here user.

ms is desperate
businessinsider.com/google-apple-microsoft-competing-dominate-education-technology-market-2018-11
zdnet.com/article/will-the-enterprise-help-triple-chromebook-sales-by-2017/
ps fuck google, fuck ms, fuck apple

did you anons try LTSC?
it has 10 year support(quality & security)
no feature updates that might fuck up your pc
no bloat & faster than windows 7 in every way

>microsoft
>modern OS

lol gud 1

It'll just be another shitty Windows reskin with the same 35+ years of legacy trash weighing it down.

>sounded like it was for cellphones and mobile devices.
Oh, so it will be their desktop OS in a few years :3

>deprecated DX9
BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
MY FREE TO PAY GAME USES DX9 NOOOO

Hmmst, but I am wondering...
The new OS will actually be partially open source and will be modular, taking notes from Linux. It is actually a good thing, and with the ability to customize the system, they probably intend to do something similar with Android by letting the OEMs make the necessary piece of software for Windows that they will integrate with the hardware.
Which makes me think that they might intend in the future to rework the XBox as a gaming PC rather than a console with the ability to play the exclusive games.
Honestly, they just got to implement mods on their system and then it's all done. Problem is to rewrite the whole kernel and not make it POSIX compliant.
(Imagine the year of Windows phone coming back)

modern os is something like chrome os, and windows isn't in the picture, be it uwp (now dead) or legacy w32 apps
they succumbed to using chromium, so I don't know what's their vision of the future like. they've been continuously killing every single product of theirs that had future (windows phone, other products, some deserved to be killed, some didn't), and now, well, they have none.
I'm really curious what's it going to be like, because so far their future is to leave desktop os market entirely.
or maybe a linux distro? like, it could be a linux distro with some sleek shit32 virtualization, and I wouldn't even be surprised, because this is what enterprises actually want (and users dont care)

if it's going to be store apps only, that'd be ridiculous
basically an os just to run browser (chrome, if they even manage to port it)

Yes but W10 aesthetic makes me depressed.
Everything is just so empty, it just put me off my computer.

What's so modern about it?

This. I think Windows aesthetics peaked with Win7's Aero shit.

dont really care, dont use microsoft products anyway

it'll lack decades of backwards compatability

>be poorfag in current year
>stuck with winpajeet
>stuck with chromepajeet
>stuck with lincuckspoo
>get bully by mac OS X applechad with now more expensive chadbook pros cause they arent made in chinkistan anymore

Attached: seething pink.jpg (236x282, 14K)

>seething iToddler

Attached: 1558396289964.gif (540x304, 1.78M)

Yeah right, last time they tried to make an OS from scratch they wasted so much time and money for not even being able to finish so they just shat out W10 instead

7 is a visual downgrade from Vista though.

MSFT shills are legion.

based

dumb anime poster

stop

hitting

the

enter

key

after

every

sentence

you

type

faggot

I use classic shell to make it look like windows 7 start menu at least.

This

Windows Vista still has the best aesthetic.

b-but reddit has markdown and I instinctively double space paragraphs to make them render correctly
you guys should be more accepting of us differently-abled users

It will refuse to work without internet and pirating will be impossible.

fuck MicroSoft

DIE

Attached: tenor.gif (400x204, 111K)

Reminder that 90% of Jow Forums now are redditors LARPing as classic Jow Forums because 'le funy libtard trolle!!!! im cool too!!!!1'

Attached: CjYrcw9.png (460x419, 128K)

It will use the Linux kernel. As for backwards compatibility with software written for previous versions of the Windows operating system, Microsoft will use WINE.

The Windows operating system has become such an old, bloated mess that whenever developers add a feature, they break something and are unable to fix it. All of the people who are able to fix it are retired or fired.

I have never worked at Microsoft, but by former doctoral advisor has. He told me this information.

if this is true that's one bold ass move.
wine is pretty shit in my experience, and game devs are just fucked.

Wait wut? Win7 and Vista look the same to me, except for Win7's shiny new taskbar.

> Imagine not even requiring a HDD/SSD anymore?
So what?

lol, microsoft has the source code, documentation and expertise. youd have to be retarded to think they would use wine when most of the work is actually RE, matching the bugs and workarounds

Everything in 7 is dulled down and more boring.

Lose weight

The whole point of it is that it will no longer be held back by legacy, you faggot brainlet

Fucking based. God damn plebbitor summerfags are shitting up the board.

I’m just relaying information another person told me. I think he might have said that Microsoft are developing their own version of WINE.

Marxism was "modern" at one time.

If it's actually new and not just more bloat on top of decades of bloat, it might actually be cool.

>I must fit in

Nothing microsoft shits out can be good.

This, cheap laptops might not run like complete shit anymore.

Microsoft is nothing without its 80s-90s legacy. Literally nothing.

>Microsoft releases Modern OS with an emphasis on ARM
>All day battery life, quick charge
>x86 emulation + Win32 wrapper means the few legacy applications anyone cares about can easily be ported to Modern OS
>Buying one will reduce what I'm able to do but I don't really care anymore
>AKA how I learned to stop worrying about having access to C compilers that I'll never use and love that I only use a laptop for shitposting anyway

I'm ready, take me to the cloud.

That's cool and all, but the only reason people even use Windows is the legacy. It's used because it has shitloads of software support, if MS removes that, what point is there to using nu-Windows? Why would I use their new shit with no backwards compatibility when I could choose Linux, for instance?

Will jump on it as soon as it comes out just to spite Loonix fags.

Attached: 1538754864277.jpg (511x671, 33K)

You would have the option to install legacy support if you need it, but the OS won’t be built around it

You mean some sort of emulator or compatibility layer which mimics the old APIs? If I want that I can install Linux and Wine right now, again, no point in using a MS OS if it does not come with native compatibility with the huge Windows software library.

Windows 10 will still be available, but it's now going to be considered a prosumer OS and Modern OS (rumored to be called "Microsoft SkyLight", get it? A window you see clouds though") will be MS's answer to something like iOS where it's predominately for web browsing, light productivity and accessing web services.

The main reason why Modern OS is going to be exciting though, is that MS are trying to put it into a load of wacky and exciting devices as well as traditional machines.

>Speculation: Internally it's referred to as "Windows Core OS" which is interesting when you consider that .NET Core was open-source, maybe this will also be a stripped out, refactored and modernised NT kernel that gets open sourced?

>If I want that I can install Linux and Wine

Ah yes, I’m sure businesses balls deep into the Microsoft ecosystem and normies who have sex are really looking forward to that

Well, because consumers aren't going to install Linux on their machines. Modern OS is a consumer operating system and isn't really going up against something like Linux or Windows 10 itself for that matter.

This could be totally conceivable given how much MS has been endorsing Linux and open source software lately.

So, it's ChromeOS?

Really unlikely, It's based around UWP and porting that to Linux in a way that doesn't break compatibility with Windows 10 and Xbox seems like more work than just continuing to use existing Windows technologies.

Kind of, it will definitely compete with Chromebooks when Modern OS is installed on conventional laptops. But the main reason why MS is doing this, is to provide an OS that's more easily adapted to new form factors like folding screen PCs.

So Windows 10 can technically have this functionality implemented through drivers and shit, but Modern OS will have support for these new form factors built in and can be easily updated for new form factors when needed.

memes like "have sex" and "incel" really cements it, the normalniggers are here. There is literally no escaping them, for fucks sake.

>Gatekeeping about not being enough of an autist to be a rightful user
That's really sad, sadder than anything on Reddit.

It sounds like another upcoming failure, or something which will only find a niche like ChromeOS itself. I somewhat doubt the usefulness of folding screens as well. They seem more like a gimmick than a feature which has legitimate use for either work or even for entertainment.

Its not even funny. Its vapid and a direct clone of the worst kind of humor. Using social shaming jokes on an anonymous image board is just retarded

cringe

Well I think it depends on three things
>If they allude to Windows at all, it will fail because it will always just be considered a worse version of Windows. It happened with Windows RT and it happened with Windows 10 S
>If Microsoft can market a really interesting form factor and call it something like a "SkyLight" device, then people are buying it for the hardware more than they're buying it for the software, the OS will literally just be there to operate the hardware so it just werks.
>If they release a folding PC as their only device for Modern OS, then it will fail to kick off because it will cost over $1000 while competing with other consumer-only devices that cost half that and are better established. Meanwhile, it wouldn't be suitable for professionals like most $1000+ laptops are

But Ballmer is gone, so I'm sure they won't just plough into the market on the back of Windows's consumer awareness, to sell what's really a completely different product with a difference audience.

Yeah, wtf

I really don't see what form factor can be so interesting as to push an OS over already well-established alternatives. Like, what is this form factor going to be and what practical benefits will it have in order to be such a major influence?

It's a pain in the ass to keep updating because of how fucking bloated it is. Modern OS will probably be where Microsoft push all their latest ideas and updating Windows 10 with the functionality later.

I mean, do any professionals even give a shit about the modern parts anyway?

Daily reminder that Microsoft is worthless without its immense library of legacy MS-DOS and Win32 software.

Microsoft doesn't win on technical merits. It wins on backwards compatibility and nothing else.

Rumors all point to folding PCs, MS have had some kind of folding tablet in the works for a while now. So who knows? Considering how well designed their Surface devices are, maybe this will show the world how folding computers are done.

>space between reply and text
pottery

"Modern" as in how? I'm betting it'll be streaming everything to your computer.

>MS-DOS
If anyone still relies on DOS software, they're surely not running it on a version of Windows released this century.

>Microsoft doesn't win on technical merits
Give them a chance, this will be clean slate for them.

Maybe you're right, but I can't see what a folding PC can bring to the table beyond a gimmick. It makes sense for phones/phablets, because you can have something small(ish) which can fold out to give you a bigger screen. I really don't see what purpose folding can serve on a PC and I say this as a Surface owner, so I know what MS hardware is like (it's not all-around amazing, by the way).

>I want to have a useless computer and no access to my files should there be even a moment of connection loss
Are you retarded?
I like to still be able to fuck around with something should my router/connection take a shit on me.

It's probably referring to this:
windowscentral.com/windows-core-os

and this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Windows_Platform

This. Maybe I'm old, but I recall computers being content creation devices, not just consumption.