(((social media))) alternatives

Are there any out there? Is mastodon worth checking out?

Attached: the_eye.png (1600x956, 347K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scuttlebutt.nz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

IRC

Attached: message_me_back.jpg (567x545, 84K)

There's nothing worth checking out
>forums are easily subverted by power tripping mods
>gab is a fucking joke banning legal content
>radio under the heel of the FCC
>IRC dead and still under the thumb of power tripping mods/admins
>Mastadon so buttblasted over gab copying them they're leaning on people who have done the exact same shit as gab to completely block gab's instance, further fragmenting the community
>chans range from edgy for the sake of edgy to mediocre to good but extremely slow
Did I miss anything?

with regards to Mastodon, I've completely lost any and all respect for the projects and the fediverse in general, it's supposed to be a better Twitter catered to your favourite groups but all it is is fractioning of common interests with bans for all others left and right. The Gab incident is the most hypocritical of all as worse free speech instances have existed for quite sometime but no one batted an eye, and now we have applications blocking access to Gab's instance on the API level instead of instance level. For now though, the Instagram alternative Pixelfed is still mostly pure and you don't have to deal with conversations, just take and share nice pics if you want.

The only thing I don't like about mastodon and it's clones is that they seem to be anti-lurking. Really all I want is a glorified rss reader client, I have no intention in participating in those sites.

>whole point of social media is to talk to people
>let me join a platform with no people
If you want to use FOSS and Social Media at the same time, make sure the next Instasnapbook app comes from you and make it FOSS from the get-go.

Yeah, they made it too easy to block whole domains, unlike email which encourages you to only block specific addresses by default.

Just pull out the cable goy

Attached: 1558169340872.png (5760x3240, 1000K)

Mailing lists, IRC, Telegram groups, *chans... You have choices

Attached: IMG_20190531_015104.jpg (349x348, 27K)

>(((social media))) alternatives
You're using one right now.

I use pleroma as an RSS reader for freetube and various activitypub subscriptions.

Jow Forums is literally social media

IRC is great, shame its almost dead

anyone got some cool channels?

bad as discord

The alternative is to not use social media. Instant messaging is all that you need, even normies are returning back to it.

>Normie instant messaging
Normie IM programs still have major privacy and/or security concerns (Line, Whatsapp, Telegram, etc.), and most normies aren't willing to switch, which leaves you with around 3 contacts on your IM program of choice.

Privacy issues is better than outright giving up your privacy entirely.

Following that logic, you can use Facebook and other social media without giving up privacy, just don't have any personal info. Problem with that is that ((they)) still know.

Attached: 478299-the-cave-bbs.jpg (740x555, 123K)

You might as well ask if there are any good heroin alternatives.

Social media was always and will always be bad unless you redefine it to include historical mediums like forums, message boards, and mailing lists.

IRC and Usenet. Despite the shills’ claims, they are not dead at all.

Pixelfed has the same issue as mastodon in that everyone joined one instance and then they closed it to encourage people to move to other instances, but everywhere else is a ghostown.

In fact it’s worse than mastodon because at least you can see people posting shit in the “kool kids” instance of mastodon while you’re really isolated in pixelfed

It’ll probably get better as time goes on, but for now if you didn’t make it in, don’t bother

I looked into pixelfed and they have that fucking gay flag

Attached: 1530999629208.png (290x240, 74K)

Anyone remember when Jow Forums used Diaspora years ago? It was fun while it lasted but some people eventually ruined it with their faggotry.

Only worthwhiles are imageboards and small, closed groups formed on IRC, LINE, Signal etc the rest of the normie social media is gutter trash.

Attached: 09746788_56.png (1080x648, 130K)

>If you want to use FOSS and Social Media at the same time, make sure the next Instasnapbook app comes from you and make it FOSS from the get-go.

This. I'm working on two open source sites right now. Hopefully I can make it not suck

Mastodon is just the devs blog to cry over twitter being more popular

>Is mastadon worth checking out?
No

Attached: gay shit.png (744x31, 6K)

This. Mastodon and Pleroma are rigged with trannies

reminder to join t.me/anychan_tech

social medias are worthless if your hot friend's little sister has never heard of them so no it's not

Fag that made Mastadon getting mad, because of 'mean ol' nazi's'. Pass.

just use fora and imageboards for coms, which is the important part
social media has zero worth. makes people unhappy; unwarantedly feeds others with data and lines their pockets
before myspace and having a profile of sorts here and there, the internet was fine, people met new individuals and it just worked fine.

fb i used mainly as a news aggregator for music-related shit, but stopped altogether
sharing photos with randos- meh
look at randos' photos- meh
connecting with others- long too disappointed with people to try and make an effort to connect

some normies are comming around to relinquishing sm, and the newer gen, sometimes utterly disgusted with having had their whole lives documented and shared online unconsensually, forgo internets altogether

what did Gab ban besides loli/shota?

>I have some bad news
I hate these easily annoyed faggots so much, especially when they talk like this

A twist:
Where do I go as a 26 yo boomer?

On Jow Forums there are few threads that I learn anything new from and even if it's because I myself learn, I feel the level of stuff posted here is gradually dropping every week. Most of the time, it doesn't feel any smarter than watching infomercials (youtube) and I'd like to discuss complicated stuff with others.

What is the problem with Gab anyways? They might have some issues but everyone in the universe keeps throwing a hissyfit... That can't be natural.

What are you into? I'd love some company that ain't loli-posters.

oh memories...

I use normie facebook and twitter social media to redpill normies and as a RSS and shitpost

Jow Forums for serious discussions and trends

discord for talking with cool people and Jow Forums discords specifics

Gab only for politics and seeing NWO conspiracy things

But mostly i use youtube

This is it.

Goods alternatives are minds, gab, mastodon

It's called going outside. Try separating your PC from your real life.

How about not using social media.

>This. Mastodon and Pleroma are rigged with trannies

Every time I go to Costco I see a bunch of trannies.

I feel you, I only see them on the bus though. Gotta move somewhere with a more mentally healthy population

I have been spotting more trannies on the weekdays. The weekend not so much.

The entire concept of social media itself is shit.
While there are probably non-botnet ones out there, they are still bad amd not worth your time.

That's one very good font there.

Anyone know some good telegram groups?

#lgbtq

Has anyone considered a decentralized communication platform using the IPFS protocol or equivalent?
Is it possible?

I also thought that the point of social media is to have friends you can connect to on there which is the appeal of Facebook for the masses. I personally don't want to connect to everyone in such a privacy invasive way and that leaves me in cesspits like Jow Forums. The good thing is, this cesspit feels like home.

Realistically, nothing that's not worse than the other pleroma and mastodon instances. This one is just special because it's associated with actual mass killings and hateful headlines so that can be attributed to the sudden jump I think

Matrix, specifically Riot.io

You forgot social medias that use matrix.
Also Discord

irc, neocities, maltese acorn cultivation image boards

Attached: 1559399620703.jpg (494x495, 47K)

>Try separating your PC from your real life.

top kek, good luck with that

Telegram groups and discord.

there are still some forums that are active like wilderssecurityforums, trisquel forums, and debian forums. Just search up keywords and find forums that are active.

What are you looking for.
Social media are for communication with normies and such. There is no alternative for that.
If you want to communicate with friends, just use irc/mumble or wire/discord depending on how gnupilled they are.

mastodon sucks beacuse the dev panders to safespace retards and made it pretty much useless.

mastodon is typically for far left types, but pleroma is a lightweight alternative that you can host on a tiny VPS for yourself and maybe 100 friends
I might also suggest just learning some quick HTML and CSS and just making your own website and letting people contact you by email. that’s how people did social online before social media. maybe set up xmpp or something with encryption

I should add, it’s kinda obvious but if you’re gonna make your own site, you have to be doing stuff online and linking back to it so people can find you. I guess way back in the day, people would just find already established pages and ask for links or get into webrings.

Check out scuttlebutt.nz

ooo a new fond ebin!!! ::::--DDDDDDDDDD

I fuck with people on real life, tinder (is not very social-mediaish, although is quite depressive), phone number, nntp and e-mail (including s/mime or pgp)

getting into underground work collective seems the best

usually technology connecting with people for social means is mainly strictly as meet up info tunnel