Bros is it true? is it true software engineering is such a comfy job? this looks amazing

bros is it true? is it true software engineering is such a comfy job? this looks amazing.
youtube.com/watch?v=rqX8PFcOpxA

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

chink

Yes if you live over in China and work for one of the very very very very few good companies over there that are new age for millennial.

How deaf is this woman going to be in X years? Not a second in that video passess where she isn't wearing headphones.

She also just hangs out at restaurants, wasting money and getting fat. There's no videos of her panicking because of a major service outage or spending months agonizing over terrible legacy code.

social media is for showing the good times, not be bad.

>it's another cute girl does thing episode
also that office looks like hell, packed in like rats

Attached: 1529803723526.jpg (4000x4000, 999K)

Look at the guy at 1:56/1:57 on the left of the woman. His face is the face you give when you hate your life.

Also not included in this video: everybody being laid off in a few months

I'm always wearing my headphones but I don't listen anything, they just remove all background noises and its super comfy to work when there is nothing but silence

All in all, it's pretty comfy if you're into solving puzzles and you don't need someone constantly holding your hand to do it. And I don't mean "like" just for fun, but being able to do it for hours on bad days too.

The compensation's god tier too at higher levels, but by then your responsibilities far exceed that of a programmer.

>drinking S () Y
>eating tofu lunch
>all coworkers are S () Yboys
>Everytime a guy is filmed he opens his mouth like a typical S () Y
jesus all the memes are true

Attached: 0tHCL2E.png (1728x1120, 920K)

>comfy
>have to leave the house

how much harder is it than, say, upper div data structures or OS classes? i am a little nervous because i don't have any experience doing anything except command line interface programs. all the buzzwords, docker, kubernetes, etc., i know nothing about.

Enjoy manual labour, then. If I'm going to wageslave, I'm going to do it in front of a desk making 10x more money than the average mouthbreather/mexican smashing rocks for a living.

You don't need to eat tofu and drink onions to work a desk job, raheim.

these jobs don't usually last very long, 2-3 years tops until the "start up" has no more investor money, there is always a cheaper chinese/indian coder who will do the same code for few cents.

look it up.

Attached: 2r12ffd.jpg (576x763, 136K)

Depends what you do, I guess. If you're involved with normie backend or web-related software, you're paid for being able to find and read docs and scrap together API calls following existing / googleable design patterns.

It takes a few years to get used to being able to figure out systems that have thousands or hundreds of thousands of man-hours put into them, but it's not brain surgery. If you can figure out programming, you can figure it all out. In the end, larger patterns emerge, after which it's all just virtual legos.

That place looks pretty nice, is that really Burgerland? Must be a liberal city.

its san francisco

I want to work from home

Attached: 1558780616080.png (500x274, 231K)

Depends on the job. Worked as graphics/engine programmer in mid-2000's. Crunch and misery might be your company for a while.
You go home and code goes with you.
But if you go to a company where you're expected do deliver 50 boilerplate lines per day, you're kinda ok I guess

Lmao fuck this video. All she did was walk around and take pictures of herself.

Ah yes, life as a woman sure is easy

>cute
>girl

Her life is actually horrible. Think about it.
>Drown out your surroundings at all times with headphones
>Commute from 8:46 until 10:24, each way that is almost 3 hours of your life wasted
>Sit idle at a desk making some shitty interface for Patreon nobody will care about
>After work wander around mindlessly consuming products/shopping
>Eat your dinner ALONE
>Go home ALONE to sit in your bed ALONE watching a soap opera on a laptop

Attached: JUST.gif (397x658, 964K)

Mayukobros...

if you wouldn't absolutely ravage that sideways pussy then you're a faggot

qt

that's what literal autists do

i worked as barkeeper gardener and various other shitjobs the software engineers lifestyle is vastly more compfy I get paid normally and people value my thoughts and words - and you get to produce shit that is used by millions of people every day - is satisfctory and allows for positive feedback loops

meanwhile my poor bros still work at the bar their dreams fade and they get sadder and cynical evry day

alone is the best

pretty much sums it up.
ironically the only thing you aren't seeing is the work she's doing - which is thinking.
programming (typing code into the computer) is actually just like 20% (or maybe even less) of the work you do as a software engineer.

You only see her working for 5 seconds out of the 4 minutes video. Also, she is working on a new screen for an iOS app. This is the kind of task you give juniors or incompetent diversity hires to keep them from doing serious damage.

More realistically, you will spend quite a bit of time frustrated trying to debug or reproduce an issue, headphones blasting music at high volume to try to drown office noise out.

Frustrated that you don't get the time to refactor the almost two decades old codebase, that you have to maintain compatibility with an ecosystem of even longer-lived projects.

Frustrated that you have to stop working on the first feature you got to work on in a while because that other project the outsourced to India keeps crashing and they keep selling it to customers so the high-ups need you to fix it because their head rolls otherwise.

Frustrated that the Indians are unmotivated, incompetent and hard to communicate with due to their shit English and audio quality.

Frustrated that you don't get your changes deployed into production through the layers of QA, managers and hosting department so you don't know whether your changes have the desired effect, keeping you away from what you want to work on even longer.

Frustrated that the only thing you get for solving issues others can't is more responsibility.

Frustrated that you now have to participate in calls with managers and Indians at unreasonable hours.

Frustrated when you see how they mess up the merge of your code. Those barbarians don't even use tools that write clean svn mergeinfo, they do it manually so no one knows what is already merged and the formatting is fucked up because they all use different IDEs.

Frustrated when you return to your project and see how junior that had to complete the feature you were working on because a sales guy sold a non-existing feature again and they have a delivery date on contract massacred your baby.

Attached: Capture.jpg (663x419, 26K)

sounds like absolute hell
where the fuck do you work?

Theres a lot more fields of work than ditch digging and being a domesticated animal

>[insert any Fortune Top500 company]
Being a low-level enterprise guy is living hell.

alone is the cancer of the 21st century

the absolute state of working on and with proprietary software...
Now, stop crying, you are paid and you somehow ask for it.

fuck that shit.
start your own business.
don't be afraid.

It would absolutely suck getting off work so late.

>arrives at job at 10h30
>toasts food until 11h00
>goes to lunch at 12h00
>comes back to work at 14h00
>leaves at 16h30
So this is why Google had a worldwide outage?

I'm a public employee and even I don't get to slack off this much.

Attached: 1544437696794.jpg (680x670, 50K)

My headphones block sound and most of everything I listen to is at like a quarter of the Youtube or whatever app volume bar on my computer's lowest volume. If anything, things seem noisy as fuck when I take my headphones off after having had them too long.

This is what I'll probably have done by the end of the year. After a while, you realize that's really the only way to ever make it.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo-1.gif (499x320, 319K)

What do you mean by unclean merge info? I’m kinda curious how you can fuck that up, post an example pls

Also if you are the same user I’m interested by how you coordinate svn, how many approvals on github? Do you even use github? Do you even use git in the enterprise?

When I am alone, I feel focussed and sane. Other people make me nervous. Of course it works best if you can have company if you wish for it.

>4 hours of commuting a day just to use the laptop she already had at home.

wat

lego was my fav as kid, glad there is real money in playing as an adult - there many more much shittier, mindless jobs out there

I'd rather work my ass of for something great that to toggle along in some corporate boilerplate. So far my plan worked, wish me luck user so the right people continue to find and fund me.

Thats to some degree true when you work with manual labor or carpentry as well.
If a company is shitty, the only way to unshit it is to take up loans, invest into the newest technology, and startup a rival.
I don't even why its like this, since there is no real economy of scale. Meanwhile the bad companies keep complaining there is startup taking their margin, despite knowing they are running the company in the ground long term.

Attached: this_is_why_we_can't_have_nice_thing.jpg (555x448, 38K)

>this looks amazing.
>4:30 minutes video
>Getting a complete conclusion
kys

I want to start a software company, but hate paperwork. I have about four gigs lined up, with more to come, when these things go well. If's fucking work but I love it. Once I crack $500k net worth, I will chill a bit and go for some premium consultancy shit

>be a cute girl 'engineer'
>relegated to designing a mobile app ui because you can't be trusted to do anything else right
>probably complains about everything in the office
>probably born in Wuhan
>probably a slut

Attached: 1559485053000.png (500x486, 251K)

stop posting this :)

i cracked 200k net worth when i was 20. let me tell you one thing: you're never going to chill. haha

i cracked 2m net worth when i was 16. you're wrong lol

jealous fag

That literally city has the third largest homeless population in the cunt

If you did, good for you, but that says a lot more about the environment that you had the luck to grow up in than anything. Sixteen is still an age where almost everything that you achieve is in great part due to external help and influences.

instruct me, lords

jealous that she will keep coming home alone to a empty house past her 30s and then realize she made a bad life choice fucking tinder bros every week instead of having a real relationship?

And that once the appeal of her youth and vitality is gone the reality that she's shit at her job sets in and her prospects are gone there too?

Yeah haha, I'm jealous of that!

.... NOT

fpbp

dunno how you managed to do that but no sane person i know would do business with a 16 yo. kek

i'm genuinely happy you made it though. :)

yeah they even have a poop map

Attached: 1547471575170.jpg (480x325, 33K)

>headphones make you deaf
You believe 5g will kill us too don’t you

Attached: 23927B89-DA5B-4004-81F5-D666BDA874FD.jpg (680x680, 29K)

it's called working your ass off you dumb zoomer. Pick yourself up by the bootstraps, go out and shake some hands

How much they (Patreon) pay a regular software engineer monthly?

t. huawei

4g is already giving us cancer. Why wouldn't 5g worsen this?

130k anually, so about 11k monthly

I have to wear headphones in order to focus because music is less distracting than the horrible tinnitus I have from from my time in the army.

she's married. seethe, boy

or you can eat a rare steak with a beer like a normal human being with working testicles.

Is this a good salary in US?

Pretty impressive considering the amounts of breaks relative to the amount of work that the video implies.

It's two to three times the average income, but of course, the cost of living in those areas is a lot higher than the average one as well.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States

Based info, thanks m8

It actually is "A day in the life of a hipster asian-american woman on a big city"
She just happens to be a software engineer.

right-hating sf patreon employee, bfd

there is no predefined road to success. it depends a lot on your skills and general attitude.
the only thing that's true for every successful person i've ever met is their ability to connect to other people and their ability to meet deadlines at all cost/ dedicate themselves to their goals.
networking is key. don't be afraid to share your thoughts and ideas. nobody is going to steal your idea (or.. well let's say it's very unlikely).
"shake hands" as the other user already said.
if you do know ppl through your current job try to make them aware that you're going to start your own business. (don't do anything that violates your current contract though - shit like that always ends badly).

cool.

just checkin, yeah, I can connect. I actually worked extremely hard to hit deadlines, so I might be ok here.

never afraid to share thoughts and brainstorm with people. shake hands, sure.

gigs are not the problem though, its just that most of them are projects and not hourly jobs - anyway thanks m8

JOB QUESTION.

My employer cannot pay market rate and knows it. Is it ok to not do "market work" as well?

What is market work? You mean is it ok to do shitty work? The answer is it depends, but generally places that don't pay too much can at least serve as a place to gain experience and act as a springboard to lend you a better job afterward. If that's your goal, I'd still do the best work possible, but it's your life, some actions can have consequences, but do whatever is best for you, it's not like you belong to anyone else.

>More realistically, you will spend quite a bit of time frustrated trying to debug or reproduce an issue

God this. I'm working on an integration project right now and the shit we're integrating has a super esoteric API and requires a fuckton of XML embedded Groovy to just get off the ground. My team's average LOC getting pushed to git per day is abysmal. Probably around 10 per person. Purely because we spend the majority of our time brute forcing the API trying to figure out how to get it to do what we want to do, and then eventually having to refactor because someone came to a realization that what they figured out doesn't work the way they thought it did.

Actually no. Every dev I know here has a pretty solid work/life balance. Plenty of places have free breakfast and lunch so people are constantly eating with each other, then after work its dinner/drinks with friends in the city and more fun stuff on the weekends.

Is this what it’s like to work for an Fortune 500 company, i.e. Amazon?

Isn't this the company that allows ewhores to ebeg but bans people for political wrongthink?

I worked for a Fortune 500 as a dev and it was pretty close considering the male devs did all the work while the female devs did fuck all.

I meant in terms of work environment/balance, but thanks for answering, user.

most tech workers jump job every 2 years anyway.

You're actually retarded lmao. neet detected

This.
t. Pajeet coder.

> What do you mean by unclean merge info
I mean they use no (read: check out a branch and copy/paste the changes) version control tooling for merging branches. At least most of them don't, so you have partial mergeinfo you can't trust. And these are people with senior engineer and architect titles.

We use a mix of subversion and gitlab, all privately hosted

Attached: Subclipse.png (469x501, 137K)

show us YOUR code, niggah, then we will justify your caims

looks like you are a below-average incompetent underachiever looking to blame someone else

chads never even talk about cucks

Fuck off we're full.

>Frustrated that you now have to participate in calls with managers and Indians at unreasonable hours.
Lol, story of my life m8. Story of my fucking life. 7AM meetings and 7PM meetings. Fucking offshore. I wish they'd stay offshore though desu. I hate having to deal with these fucks every day.

If you continue eating and drinking that for for an extended period of time you might not have functioning testicles after a while.

LMAO I wear mine without any music too.
It's so I can empathize I dislike being randomly talked to because when someone interrupts me, putting the headphones off makes it awkward.
Also since people assume I'm not listening they are more likely to gossip and I can get my ears on some dirty laundry without them noticing.

she obviously doesn't like her job, programming sucks. to anyone reading and thinking of going into computer science, just don't...

I just love how outdated this video is

Yes she is literally not doing anything
She is in a a low tier company in SF as a "senior"
Commuting 2 hrs a day for probably 120k a year

Obviously she left and now does #womankankode Karlie Kloss kind of bullshit

Her video content lately is also just shit but I guess the reality is that most womans can't code and will stop given any chance

>Inb4 she at least have a job you don't , I work in a fang and my apartment is a block from where patreon used to be so our lifestyle was "similar" , I was just actually coding not just vlogging

Now she is just a shitty low tier influencer