/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: thinkpad girl.png (911x600, 936K)

Other urls found in this thread:

laptopmag.com/articles/record-breaker-lenovo-thinkpad-x220-lasts-over-20-hours
youtu.be/tAMFQYsLVfQ
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for xx30 models being based

Second for x230 best Thinkpad. EC flash gives full functionality for x220 keyboard and generic battery usage.

third for x220 being based

all this shit is cheap crap compared to the based xx00 and 01 models. the broken bezels and palmrests begin after these models.

Cheapest Thinkpad with minimum 10-hour battery life?

So is there no way to use an x230t screen on an x220t?

Attached: 1559178188555.jpg (633x633, 36K)

>10 hour battery life
you'll have to get a xx50 or newer and slap a new 9 cell battery into it

When will we get the lid latch and light bulb back?

t430 is so fucking comfy

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-06-02 16-23-00.png (1600x900, 214K)

How's the T410s? I can get one in pretty good condition for 100 eurobucks and it'll come with an SSD

buy a x230T base

x220

you can almost 20 on a 9 cell, realistically 16 browsing

this is my status on a old 6 cell

Attached: hmm.png (68x21, 919)

Whats the best most recent Thinkpads that are under 400?
I've been looking at the T and X line with laptops from 2015-2017 but having a hard time deciding since I don't know about any build quality issues

according to OP i should just get a t530

Attached: monch.png (117x128, 30K)

T440p

yeah man i just put a cheap 3610qm in mine

>T440p
Can that run like WoW, Fornite, Minecraft at ultra low graphics?
Pricepoint isnt an issue
I want one that can at least do that, I don't care if its good looking graphically.
I know the t550s have okay intergrated graphics for 300$ laptops

>20 fucking hours
lol no
lmao

>Windows

Base? Do you mean the bottom shell?

Attached: flowing_grain.gif (424x418, 6K)

laptopmag.com/articles/record-breaker-lenovo-thinkpad-x220-lasts-over-20-hours

Which x2XXT heads would be compatible with the x200T? I love my x200T but would like a better quality screen

Attached: yarr_this_is_good.gif (350x350, 143K)

x201t i believe

#
link to screwdriver?

Attached: 1557192290348.jpg (618x1000, 220K)

So I'm setting up my T420 for a dual monitor setup, and I have to use the display port. It seems that any display port connection has to be made through some form of integrated graphics, all the forum posts on this type of shit are old and dated as sin.

Anyone have some tips for getting display-port functioning on T420?

Attached: 1552265561054.png (458x485, 312K)

should work out of the box unless you have dgpu

Well xrandr see's that it's connected but it remains black, no signal is being sent to the monitor despite my configurations.

I'm a bit confused with all this shit about NVidia drivers like PRIME or Bumblebee but that's probably because I've yet to really fuck with this kinda stuff on a Linux machine. More things to learn which is always fun.

Are there any compatible slice batteries for the T400?
Even ones that plug into the charge port all ghetto like?

I'm looking for a Bluetooth Thinkpad keyboard with a JIS layout.
I'm finding stuff at about $100.
Am I getting ripped off?

Attached: _1.png (565x541, 157K)

Thinking about getting a W520 or W530
anything i should know? i wanna play shitty games on it

If you figure it out, please post results here. I remember trying to figure out the T420 optimus and bumblebee on linux as being one of those seemingly endless rat mazes, where at hour 52 you just say "fuck it" and decide to use your system as-is.

Attached: based_linus.jpg (625x499, 44K)

Recently picked up an x200t for 20$, installed Ubuntu Budgie. It was missing the stylus, I figured I could use the one from my Galaxy Note 3, which is also Wacom. However, whenever the stylus hovers over the screen it crashes X.
Is there something I'm missing? I've been fiddling with it for hours now, with no success. Could it be that it doesn't like my stylus?
Also, are the chink replacement stylus as good as the OEM? Do they also have pressure sensitivity and whatnot?

Anyone know all the heatsink FRUs for the W530 or if there's a page or document on Lenovo's website that might detail them? I've heard that there are 3 different heatsink parts for the W530 and that one is AVC, one is Delta, but that's all.

>I'm finding stuff at about $100.
Yes

Can't find cheaper Bluetooth keyboards with a trackpoint tho.
I find some cheapo Japanese logicool but the thinkpad ones are ~$100

x201 cutest cute pad

Attached: IMG_20190330_094409_compress_54.jpg (2328x1746, 2.74M)

whoops wrong pic

Attached: 1552750139320302.jpg (1748x2328, 2.56M)

1. What's that liquid all over her?
2. Is that a fucking Logitech gaming keyboard in the back?

It's salt flavoured jam and nah its some cheap chink mech

Attached: 1548624460823805.jpg (1746x2328, 2.31M)

>that doujin
man of taste and culture

GET One With DGPU And Upgrade Cpu To A 4C One And I Confirm Plays even gta 5 at 800x600 at around 60 fps, it still stutters on some because 1gb vram

**reposting from last thread because my post was near when it died*
I will admit I have never owned a thinkpad before, and I was thinking of the one on Amazon that's a T430 for about $200 USD. I would be installing Kali Linux on it for work, does anyone have any feedback or another model they'd suggest for this? any feedback would mean alot, thank you for spoonfeeding the newfag.

what is the verdict on the x1 carbon? I found a used 900p 4gb ram i5 model for around the same price of a t540p, should I do it?

Is the X230 i7 model worth getting compared to the i5 model?

I’m seeing lots of i5 models and one, slightly more expensive i7 model. Is it worth getting or is the performance basiccally the same?

theres an i5-3380 that has mostly the same specs as the i7 (less cache)

imo the x220 is built better than my x200, the battery lifts for better air flow

its great, sucks only a few of them are in english though

Attached: 43287579_p0.jpg (1920x1080, 1015K)

that's not a problem for me though.

Attached: red man.jpg (800x600, 159K)

can you into nip?

>got a t420 for 70 dollars with extended battery even though the seller said there was no battery
how did I do?

What does it mean? I can't use generic battery with x230? Cause my og lenovo just died and I seek replacement.

who is this qt?

I can either get a refurbished Thinkpad with a 5th gen i5 or a new Ideapad with an 8th gen i5 for the same price. Which would be the better choice?

great desu, make sure you change her thermal paste when she arrives

Attached: sample-9c1c865d78af06d51904c4ae4c61ea76.jpg (850x1091, 205K)

yes, been studying this damn language for 5-6 years now
still can't read muramasa

wew thats some dedication, well done desu :3

Attached: 71791171_p0.jpg (726x924, 77K)

>loli in my /tpg/
youtu.be/tAMFQYsLVfQ

Attached: IMG_20190521_174301.jpg (3968x2976, 2.76M)

Redpill me on x220 vs x230 once and forever

Don't get either, too old, too small, shit screen.

>wanting anything other than a TN panel on a laptop

Attached: 1558220937484.jpg (598x415, 60K)

TN isn't the issue, 768p and 12,5" are

Can anyone help me with purchase advice. I'm looking for a Thinkpad but idk where to start looking.. my preferences in no order are:

- 1080p screen
- 15" or bigger screen
- Upgradeable ram
- Classic style (old keyboard)
- Ability to have an ssd and hdd
- Decent processing power to do fairly heavy usage and not worry about performance or major sluggishness
- Will be installing Linux on it
- The slimmer the better, but if I have to get a slightly bigger laptop to get above specsI will
- less than $350 used.

Should I be looking at the W series? Any specific model reccomendations?

Oh, and I'm looking for something with a display port or hdmi port output so I can hook it up to my monitor.

bump my question.
also, can i buy one that works but just snap off some misplaced connectors or something?

>tfw ive put ips in my x230

Sounds like you want to take a look at W530/T530, last ones that can be modded to take the classic keyboard and are 15.6" with up to 1920x1080 screens.
RAM and CPU are upgradeable and I'm not sure but you should be able to put a mSATA ssd + SATA hdd into it.

How difficult is it to mod the keyboard into it? I'm not really experienced when it comes to soldering and I don't wanna fuck shit up. Will take a look at them though

No soldering required for the keyboard mod. You just have to tape some pins, cut some nubs and boot from a USB stick.
See: thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads

Is there a reason I shouldn't just pickup something like the W520? Not 1080p? I feel like it would be easier to replace the screen with a 1080p one in that, then replace the keyboard in the 530? Or does the 530 have significantly better performance too?

Have you seen Thinkpad keyboards?
They're easy as shit

The integrated graphics are noticeably worse on the xx20 series and you can't put an ivy bridge CPU in it unless you coreboot which is definitely harder than doing the keyboard swap.
It'll also most definitely cost you more to upgrade a W520 than to just buy a $10 keyboard and put it into a W530.

T440p fag here using it since it was brand new and did many WoW raids on it spanning 3 expacs (WoD, Legion, BfA), play Warframe on it and even rendered things on the poor thing several times with Vray and Redshift. Sadly if you try to raid with it in BfA, you'll get sub 20FPS because Blizzard can't into optimization.

Get the DGPU version if you want to game, swap the CPU to i7 4712MQ, replace the thermal pads if you want the poor sucker to survive and if the loud fan noise bothers you, replace the dGPU heatsink fan with iGPU heatsink fan. Don't upgrade to a CPU that has higher TDP than 37W, T440p has awful cooling under load. Cooling pad is also recommended. I'd recommend not swapping the trackpad unless you really hate it and track down an original synaptics trackpad (lot of ebay sellers sell off-brand synaptics touchpads) for t450 and want to deal with driver issues. If you want to use non-whitelisted wifi cards, stay between the bios versions 2.32 to 2.35. The TN panel is also super dogshit, so when you get the chance, replace the screen. SSD is also highly recommended, the HGST drives are prone to failing really quickly. Be also careful about the right side USB ports, they tend to snap if you use them too much (replaced mobo already)

Its a good laptop and a great road warrior. Fucker survived several years of abuse, but I need to replace the screen soon, as it has several white bright spots from being banged around way too much.

Attached: 1559384902585.png (540x256, 252K)

100€ for an x61 too much?

Depends on where you live and how much the prcies are over there but at least in northern yurope you can get it for 20€ cheaper possibly but not much more unless you get lucky.

I have an original Lenovo 90W power adaptor. Is it supposed to reach >70 degrees Celsius?

yes

It's a t, does that affect prices much?

Tablet variants will cost more than the regular version yes.

Hey pedos, what should I get, a X1 Carbon or a T480s ?

x230. I have no clue why the x220 is so frequently recommended over it, since the x230 can be nodded to be better or equal in every single way. It's newer, so it has a better CPU than the x220, it can also be upgraded to 16gb of ram and you can stick an SSD in there. The only downside to the x230 is the shitty new keyboard, but you can easily replace it with the old version.

Found all this out after I bought my x220 and although I love the laptop, if I could go back in time I'd definitely buy an x230 instead.

I fucking hate my t440p, good thing I didn't bought the ips display, only the i7 quad and 16 RAM why would Lenovo remove the ThinkLight?? It's crazy how much I need it.

I'm also curious about this, also is it worth paying extra for X1C6 instead of 5? I'm a software dev but I'm not sure if the 5th generation will suffice.

how do you get an i5 in an x61?
as far as i know they don't have socketed cpus...?

i want to replace my t510 battery, since the 9cell it came with is almost empty (literally 10 to 20 minutes on full charge) have the budget for a 6cell one, can i accept any model that is available for the t510 or is the an specific one for my machine

I recently bought a t420 and the keyboard has shiny key,i want to restore them or polish them to make them all even. what Jow Forums recommend me to do?

I recently bought a t420, the keyboard have some shiny keycaps, i was thinking in how to restore them or polish them. What Jow Forums recommend to do with shiny keycpas

Based new padders!

Is chink RAM any good?

Dear sir, I can see that you are a man of taste as well.

I would appreciate if you could share that wallpaper.

Also, I need the name of this doujin.

i'm not sharing lewds of my wife, I think the doujin is called stretching myself wide feels so good

Attached: 43e31317b99b048d9d2a0f0f73bce832.jpg (850x1241, 433K)

Yes, I got 8gb of the cheapest ram that I could find and it's running fine on my x230.

ThinkPad X1 Extreme, is it a meme or is it worth it?

I just want a lenovo that can handle some ps2 emulation and fighting games on the side, nothing too demanding.

I have a faulty battery on my x230. The Battery indicator is flashing 3x green - 2x orange - 1x green when i plug in the charger.

I've tried to charge it over night, but the % is not going up, and when i unplug the charger it powers off, even thought the laptop is reporting that the battery has 42% charge.

I just purchased one with a discount from memorial day weekend, waiting for it to ship. I pray to god it isnt a meme or its the most expensive meme I've ever purchased.

How's th e performance between the T450s and the X260? I can get either for about the same price here and can't decide between the better cpu and portability vs the bigger screen.

The backspace key on my newly arrived T420 doesn't work for some reason. I've removed the cap but cant seem to find the cause. If I remove the rubber dome, can I reattach it later if I happen to find the problem.
I really don't want to buy a new keyboard for this bad boy. user, pls hlep

Attached: tppppm.jpg (600x835, 67K)

not a meme, is it worth it depends if you need the power if you do then absolutely

I want to use a Thinkpad to develop games using Unity. Nothing really serious (i.e. no big 3D ressource expensive games), just fucking around with Unity and making small prototypes.

Is the integrated GPU enough for this use case?

the quadros will beast through it, integrated i don't know
unity sorta chugs the preview on my 820M, but playing is fine

I got this laptop used on eBay for $210. Did I fuck up /tpg/?

Attached: dell latitude e7450.png (644x439, 32K)