In many nations border control and police can legally oblige you to unlock your phone for them to snoop through...

In many nations border control and police can legally oblige you to unlock your phone for them to snoop through. This is obviously a concern to anyone using Jow Forums.
Many home security systems have a "duress alarm". If a crook has threatened you to disarm the security system you can type an alternative code which will disarm the system but send a silent alarm to the police.
Why hasn't this idea been applied to phones? You could have three unlock codes: one for normal use, a duress code that hides whichever apps you have told it to and an "extra duress" which starts a factory reset.
Of course such a system wouldn't do much to stop an organisation like the FBI but it ought to be sufficient for a regular cop or border security.

Attached: alarm-system-keypads-050.png (500x422, 379K)

This system could also work off of fingerprints, just use your thumb for regular unlocks and pick another finger for when you're under duress.

You need a custom android ROM and root privileges for that. Then you can simply encrypt the phone with plausible deniability or whatever.

Why isn't this a standard feature on new phones?

Nice feature if you're getting mugged by niggers, but as for law enforcement, I'd imagine it'd come under willful destruction of (potential) evidence. You'd be better off saying you forgot the password unless in straya of course.

the retardation is strong with this one

>Why hasn't this idea been applied to phones? You could have three unlock codes: one for normal use, a duress code that hides whichever apps you have told it to and an "extra duress" which starts a factory reset.

You asked "why the botnet doesn't help me to hide my Jow Forums memes from the botnet itself", in Jow Forums terms.

Attached: 1559412766756.png (451x604, 534K)

nobody unlocks their phone with their left pinky and doing so in a robber will probably result in getting shot.

Why isn't intelligence a standard feature on new people?

>implying my phone has a fingerprint scanner
How would that work with my face? Loon central for normal unlock, look down for distress unlock?

>This is obviously a concern to anyone using Jow Forums.
implying browsing a mongolian fusion reactor blessing forum makes you some sort of revolutionary outlaw

just don't take your phone
here, problem solved

Try explaining that to the autorities you dumb homo, they think any chan site is basically Cheese Pizza central at worst and terrorist & school shooters hangout at best.

>her phone unlock with a detailed face scan
You are already beyond help.

>You'd be better off saying you forgot the password unless in straya of course.

I am in 'Straya. Why wouldn't I say that I've forgotten my password?

Yes, we could do that, OR, now bear with me, take action to not live in a police state.

Excellent post, thanks for contributing to the thread.

The FBI cannot look through your phone without your permission unless they have a warrant (which they don't need to show you if the warrant was given through the Patriot Act but whatever).

Police, likewise, cannot look through your phone without a warrant (the Patriot Act doesn't apply to them so they have to show you the warrant).

US border enforcement can force anyone, regardless of anything, to show them the contents of that person's phone even if they aren't doing anything. You have to be within 100 miles of the border in order for this to be applicable and while they will face "disciplinary, corrective measures" if they abuse this privilege, you still have to abide by them in the then and there and show them your phone.

Unless you present some kind of danger (as in real danger, like "I'm going to blow up a bomb here today") they cannot arrest you then and there, however they can deny you entry to the US if you aren't a citizen, and regardless of whether or not you are a citizen, they can confiscate any property you have that they deem important. This property can then be used against you later.

It's not at all an unreasonable concern.
For example you may be visiting relatives in the UK when the Border Force monkey finds a cartoon hate frog and has you deported on the next flight.

An equivalent to a disposable virtual machine where you handle all your activity would be nice.

wtf

>Just move to another country.

I would think this attitude was laughable if it weren't the norm everywhere.
"Just move!", meanwhile every Western nation is becoming more and more authoritarian and nobody does anything to improve their own homes.

Not everyone is in the US.
That said I'd advise you to take note, the US is also lurching toward authoritarianism.

forgetting is illegal in australia. You'd get minimum 3 year sentence for not decrypting.

Thumb for regular unlock, index finger for "safe unlock" left thumb for factory reset.
Or just use a code/pattern.

I don't care what country you're from. Also the OP explicitly said "the FBI" and I'm clearing that bullshit up. While some people would draw no distinction between a Patriot Act issued warrant and literal tyranny, the reality is they're not functionally able to legally rifle through your shit.

I haven't heard that it's illegal to "forget", do you have any links?

Fork LineageOS and do it then.

OP explicitly said "many nations". He just used FBI as an example of an organisation much better resourced than local police or border security, an organisation that this system couldn't realistically protect against.

My pleasure user, I don't help idiots.

>meanwhile every Western nation is becoming more and more authoritarian and nobody does anything to improve their own homes
sadbambi.jpg

Anyone with the power to compel you to unlock your phone has the power to make you regret wiping it.

Game theory suggests that this results in worse outcomes for the owner of the phone or encrypted device.

The entire idea of the "duress mode" is to simply change things that wouldn't be obvious to an officer. For example:
>Hide suspicious apps like Clover, Wickr, VPN.
>Hide messages or images from certain contacts.
>Forget all passwords.
>Whatever else you can imagine.
It would still function as normal, just without the shit you wouldn't want a security agent or cop seeing.

My god the fucktard is still going at it.

this is what Jow Forums actually believes

I think your parents should have used "durex mode"

but i do unlock my phone with my left pinky

Honest question: does the mafia cut your left pinkie first when you screw up or is it the right?