What kind of programmers will generation z turn out to be...

What kind of programmers will generation z turn out to be? Will they make hello world programs that are several gigabytes large and videogames that are terrabytes? Will they use a language six million times slower than c and say "it's okay the computer is so fast anyway"

Attached: 1549843001144.jpg (800x800, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e8NptO55L-I
ziglang.org/#Zig-Build-System
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what have you made

Trimmed down version of OP:
Will their code be more redundant?

they will run webassebly on server side, the way they run nodejs now

look at the discord - this is the gloomy future

Attached: 1559432438869.png (900x495, 163K)

Discord runs fine on my machine and offers better functionality than its predecessors. Particularly, skype, teamspeak and mumble.

I do this too. Map is the Chad way, lmao at for loop niggers

I'm not sure this is the case with modern browsers.

"Runs fine" doesn't mean anything. Python "runs fine" and it's still slow as shit when doing a lot of computation.

Runs fine means runs fine. It means I don't see a degradation in performance compared to alternatives.

means nothing to measurebaters, means everything to real world useage

There you user made this for you.

function timing(name,func){
var t0 = performance.now();

func();

var t1 = performance.now();
console.log(name + " took " + (t1 - t0) + " milliseconds.")
}

var a = Array(1000000).fill(1);

var sumForEach=0;
timing('forEach',function(){
a.forEach(function(x){ sumForEach+=x; });
});
console.log(sumForEach);

var sumMap=0;
timing('map',function(){
a.map(function(x){ sumMap+=x; });
});
console.log(sumMap);

var sumLoop=0;
timing('loop',function(){
for(var i=0,c=a.length; i

and they called me crazy for benchmarking python solutions

You can easily fuck up your web page by using inefficient javascript when you have a lot of data, so it definitely makes sense to know which way is more efficient, and the tool for that is benchmarking.

I'm 19 which makes me a zoomer. I program games in C/C++ and minimize bloat whenever possible. Electron and web "technology" are cancer. My website is HTML/CSS.

what games have you made

youtube.com/watch?v=e8NptO55L-I

Not bad for a SNES game.

This is all done from scratch in C, with nothing except a shitty opengl wrapper that restricted us from using shaders.
I made the dynamic lighting, tilemap, UI framework (not shown), and other things.

born in le wrong generashun

Zoomers are so fucking lazy that only supernerds will go into skilled labor, or migrant workers will be the only ones doing it. So either wages will explode or the whole system will implode

Again, congratulations, you used modern toolset to make a SNES game. This discussion is about modern software, not about software that tries to look as if it's from the nineties.

>arena pvp shit
Not surprised

Don't know what you mean. It has pixel art graphics, yeah, but the tech is indicative of a modern 2D game engine.
Glad you enjoy, you can come play it at PAX West this summer.

>Don't know what you mean.
Of course.

yeah, that doesn't sound right

Attached: 2019-06-03 09.55.56 jsfiddle.net b9a11839b394.png (308x140, 9K)

Browser? I'm using latest firefox for my results.

Considering I write in c++, better than what is it now, at least for myself.

Well, no need to respond, I know it's Chrome. Just tried and I'm getting same results as you in Chrome.

Jesus Fucking Christ, firefox. 1000 times slower on a simple loop. Why.

vivaldi but yeah, based on chromium

It's free...if people were willing to pay for VoIP/Chatroom software I am sure a fully featured client written in native frameworks would be there. But they aren't and this is what the real world will bear.

are you doing anything in your loop? escape analysis might just be a bit better in chrome but such would be useless in a real world scenario.

gen z will be the most efficient programming generation. there are a few reason why I think so

1. competition, you gotta stand out from the indian subhuman zombies
2. hardware is not getting better
3. we are just exploring compiler technology, the future C will be as easy to write as java but just as fast as assembly as everything will be static and backed by very advanced compiler algorithms.

The code is posted above. Adding integers from array.

as a zoomer interested in programming what should I pick up?

salve

this we will solve problems in hours not month since we stand on the shoulder of giants

>Particularly, skype, teamspeak and mumble.
>mumble
How so? I get Skype and TeamSpeak, both are botnet closed bloated garbage, but why Mumble? Mumble does VOIP fantastically, plus it's open source. Mumble + IRC or Matrix is the only chat stack you'll ever need for talking to friends. I can vouch, my friend group uses it.

Attached: 1503858785057.jpg (599x510, 26K)

Well, I don't see why you even need me to write a response. You yourself admitted that you need another application to even reach the same level of functionality that discord has, and I haven't even started talking about convenience.

Discord has more features than Mumble, but Mumble is FOSS and not an actual Chinese botnet.

Also,
>chat stack
Brings a smile to my face. Well done.

I won't argue with that, specifically considering the word botnet lost all its meaning on Jow Forums (it wrote a line to a log file on server? BOTNET). In my original post I only talk about functionality.

I don't see why you need all that grouped into one application. Messaging and VOIP are different things, them together is bloat. Like, maybe someone can create a frontend to group the underlying services, but I don't see why something like Discord needs to do both past convenience, it just creates fragmented development. All the functionality is there; which was your original point, just not the PURE CONVENIENCE. But how often do you call and message people at the same time to justify not just using 2 different applications?

Attached: AIuAEQ.png (761x720, 607K)

I guess the word "spyware" would be more appropriate, since all communications are accessible to Discord staff, and the company has a huge ownership stake by a Chinese company.

I hate Discord and use it as little as possible, but having the chat, friends list, and VOIP all in one is extremely convenient.
We use the chat in our Mumble server to send each other links and stuff - Discord allows you to do that, but it's persistent and allows direct uploads of images and files.

It's for convenience. I honestly can't tell if you're pretending for purpose of shilling your FOSS stuff, or genuinely believe that the level of convenience of discord and your "chat stack" is the same.

Spyware would be doing it secretly. Discord admits to listening on your chat so no spyware.

They will hopefully rediscover Lisp and stop reinventing the wheel all the time, like boomers did.

I won't pretend it's the same level of convenience, but I was saying functionality wise it's on par, which is what your first post was arguing. I don't view the pain of *gasp* using two different applications for 2 different communication purposes to be bad enough to sell out to garbage like Discord.

I get that, but that sort of thing could easily be done with some sort of front end like I suggested. I imagine one containing a client to matrix, and a client to mumble, bridging accounts or something. There's your Discord convenience. But that also sounds pretty horrible and I still don't see why one can't just use different applications

Python

>which is what your first post was arguing
My first post was comparing Discord to mumble, not discord to mumble plus other applications.
Don't know about your other app, but IRC is nowhere near discord in terms of convenience. You don't even have chat history for the channel.

Using one program and managing one list of fiends on it is a lot more convenient than using two programs and managing two lists. If you can't comprehend this, then I really don't see what else I can say to you.

>sell out
I'm just using it.

>it can be done
Don't think anyone anyone is saying that this is impossible. It simply is not done for your foss alternatives (or maybe Riot.im is good enough), and is done for Discord.

The answer is because normies don't care and can't be bothered to install and learn to use multiple applications when a single one provides all the same features.
It's a hassle, even for more experienced users. Say you use mumble and IRC, and you want to get a new friend into your group:
>download mumble, set it up, here's our server
>download IRC, learn how to use it, here's our channel
>want to send a file? Use some web file-sharing service or download another client and SFTP it
>can't paste a picture into chat, you gotta open imgur or some shit and then copy and paste the link
>no friends list to see who's online but not in chat

Discord does all of those things, but my friends and I refuse to use it because it's literally forwarding everything to China.

Yes.
Just take a look at the Electron framework ffs.
We are doomed by Zoomers.
The transfer of knowledge from the elders did not take place.
They have no idea how to compile a C program properly with a Makefile.

Attached: c27f7d68b933da0b5550fdf624e6c2ba.png (331x330, 167K)

I'm 22 and I write everything in C. My godot games are not terabytes large. idk if I count as a zoomer.

i'm 20 and i'm a functional fag writing rust all day

Attached: simon peyton jones.png (388x496, 199K)

NodeJS, React, Golang. HTML + CSS become a must know for every dev.

are you doing something on discord that you cand't afford to be known to china

Bython

These damn kids can't even compile a C program.
These damn kids can't even write 68k assembly.
These damn kids can't even write COBOL on punched cards.

Do you realize how daft you sound?

>nothing to hide, nothing to be afraid of!
Please upload all of your voice conversations and messages from the past year, right now. What are you doing that can't be known to some random anons on Jow Forums?

Actually using makefiles is not an arcane knowledge. I know how to do it, I even used make for tasks other than compiling, and I see nothing wrong with Electron, apart from resource usage (which is compensated by, presumably, how much easier it makes the development).

I would have no problem with all my discord chats becoming publicly available to you anons. We just talk about games.

Just use facetime...

Writing 68k asm or COBOL on punched cards was just as common back in the day.

electron doesn't make development easier at all

Well, yes, but compiling C and using makefiles is still somewhat common.

Just because you don't have any personal conversations doesn't mean that no one else does.

I think it does. Otherwise people wouldn't be using it.

don't expect to have a career in development if you are unwilling to learn how to write makefiles

people use it because they only know javascript, not because it makes anything easier. if anything it makes it harder. it's a massive clusterfuck.

You know what, I see your point, I have some stuff that I won't care if chinks see but I wouldn't want everyone I know to see.

But to the the history and search feature, the server has got to store those texts. And history and search are very convenient.

>They have no idea how to compile a C program properly with a Makefile.
good.

people are finally getting around to making good build tools that you no longer need make. can't wait until this legacy unix junk is finally deprecated.

So it's easier. You can use the language you know instead of having to learn the language you don't know.

whenever i need to build a project that uses cmake i end up writing a makefile, because that shit is always fucking broken.

it's easier to write graphical user interfaces in c. my reality trumps yours, right?

Forth

As long as it is common and useful, there will be people who know how to do it.
I don't know how you would come to the conclusion that an entire generation is going to be inept and unable to teach themselves.

So the zoomers that want to be developers will learn how to use make. The whole fatalist attitude of "new generation can't use [specific technology]" is total bullshit, because if it was needed, they would seek out the knowledge and learn.

No. People use it because the only other real offering is Qt and GTK. Client side Java is dead and unified .NET is still on the horizon.

this guy, BTW, is the one who brought up to you fucking fagots the way to compile a call-by-need language to native code on a common crappy architectures (before that everything was an interpreter),

you, degenerates, literally have no idea what this guy has accomplished

hint: John Carmack is a nobody compared to this guy

>Generation z
Nothing of value if they can't even get their zoomer generation name right.

I never had a problem with cmake so far. Unlike automake which is generally horrendous with all those scripts and creates all over the place.

>it's easier to write graphical user interfaces in c
aaaaaaaaaaaa

>I don't know how you would come to the conclusion that an entire generation is going to be inept and unable to teach themselves.
That's not me. I just said that I know how to do it and I have nothing against electron.

you are too dumb to grasp how good declarative, recursive makefiles are. you are just stupid. you think that we need a fucking mess like cmake or god forbid bazel to compile and link files

fucking retarded imbeciles

Ttk and IUP and numerous others. you may now commence claiming they're nonviable because they don't facilitate CSS theming of a desktop application.

zoomers won't break out of the js made with

My test is generally "would I want my (conservative christian) mother to hear/read me say this".
You don't want to give anyone more blackmail ammo than you have to.

i have never suggested using automake. it is an abomination.

>That's not me. I just said that I know how to do it and I have nothing against electron.
Ah. I just get pissed when I hear the boomer attitude of "damn kids can't even rebuild a carb".

zoomer here, is FORTRAN used for anything other than legacy projects? have C and C++ ovetaken it for all purposes?

Well, I just wanted to mention it. Since I'm saying that cmake is good I felt I needed to mention an alternative that is not good.

Regardless, Electron sucks fucking dick.

JavaScript

There are plenty of millennials that are capable of writing any sort of code you desire.
If computing power starts plateauing, developers will return to efficiency, since they won't have the crutch of ever increasing CPU and RAM.

the alternative is the portable makefile

sometimes i wonder whether premake and bakefile and meson are any good.

No. I write C code with Zig so I don't use any make files period.

ziglang.org/#Zig-Build-System

The idea of writing desktop apps as webpages seems backwards to me, but what do I know, I'm just a filthy network engineer.

>an alternative that is not good

on my pc
Firefox 67
forEach took 1 milliseconds.
map took 7 milliseconds.
loop took 2 milliseconds.
Chrome 74.0.3729.169
forEach took 17.164999999295105 milliseconds.
map took 22.00000000084401 milliseconds.
loop took 3.2649999993736856 milliseconds.

what a peculiar difference in results.

> Zig

are you 12 yo?

No I am a boomer who hates C apologists.

"i don't know how to use make" is not the same as "make is bad"
cmake sucks

Look at the most popular languages, OP
Just look at them, and you'll determine for yourself.

I increased iterations 100x to get more reliable results
Firefox 67
forEach took 152 milliseconds.
map took 1967 milliseconds.
loop took 117 milliseconds.

Chrome CRASHES
LMAO
Firefox >>> Chrome