/spg/ - Smartphone General

No More Notch: Under-Display Camera Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget, and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
frequencycheck.com
willmyphonework.net

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: J0KEj6cc1xn4R4gX.webm (320x538, 1.94M)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/oppo/status/1135393369113280512
twitter.com/atytse/status/1135431372414234624
gsmarena.com/zte_nubia_red_magic_3-9692.php
gsmarena.com/samsung_phone_pops_up_on_geekbench_could_be_a_galaxy_s_active-news-37355.php
xda-developers.com/disable-system-app-bloatware-android/
twitter.com/NokiaMobile/status/1135423400602525697
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Chinks coming out with under-display camera phones while Apple and Samsung still putting notches and holes in their phones.
Oppo: twitter.com/oppo/status/1135393369113280512
Xiaomi: twitter.com/atytse/status/1135431372414234624

Attached: 2v87xLW720mbi-3S (1).webm (640x368, 1.44M)

Based chinks hiding cameras where we will never find them

So this is the real reason for the Huawei ban :^)

oh fuck get hype. under display camera smartphones coming out this year? next year? who will be first???

oh god thank god i didn't buy the oneplus 7 pro if there are legit under display cameras coming out this year. fuck meme pop up cameras, fuck notches.

Hype. Will pop-up cameras be the fastest dying trend in smartphones? I mean, sure it's an upgrade over notch, but there's no excuse when this exists.

>No way to not have a camera in your face.
No thanks, I don't take selfies.

Based Xiaomi

>can't cover the camera with tape anymore

>K20 Pro already sold out
Fuck you Xiaomi, make more

It makes me sad, because it's more likely that chinks developed this solution to counter this instead of notch menace.

>chinks already have under-display cameras
>applel barely discovered AMOLED 2 years ago and is still working on getting a 720p screen into their phone for once

lol

that part of the display has to be turned off in order for the camera to work, so as long as you don't use dark themes or leave your phone face up on your desk.
l3

*you're fine as long as you don't blah blah

>still has a bigger chin than apple
OH NONONO

I'm sure someone will make an overlay app that covers up the camera if you're that much of a tinfoil hat about it

>a chin that's a few mm's thicker
vs
>a massive notch

yeah... I don't know about you but I'd rather have the first option.

cope

No, this is what real COPE looks like

just bought the redmi note 7 4/64 for 160 €
how much have I been chink'd?

is there any good reason to not upgrade your phone annually?

I designed this exact fucking thing back in August of 2017. I'm both pissed yet relieved.
Pissed that I couldn't patent it in time, relieved that it actually works.

waste of money

PooPhone F2 NOW!!!

Attached: 1559263776519.jpg (521x707, 79K)

only makes sense if you're a woman

Do the needful and buy Redmi K20 Sir

Just what I wanted. A camera I can't tape over.

Dude you did good. It's a nice phone. I love mine.

Oh yeah, this supports all American LTE bands.

Attached: Nubia-Red-Magic-3_Feature-Image.png (690x382, 290K)

Does anyone know if the redmi note 7's work fine with Cricket in America?

read the F-ing OP

>buy chinese redmi note 7 pro despite no b20
>flash global rom
>still got 4G+ everywhere i go
Is there even a reason to go for the normal note 7?

gsmarena.com/zte_nubia_red_magic_3-9692.php
Unironically the best phone currently available even to non gaymers, possibly only surpassed by Xperia 1 if you don't need a headphone jack and can piss away money (double the red's price)
>has in built fan
>Physical fingerprint
>oled
>no notch
>90Hz
>only lacks SD card slot, NFC, and OIS

and I still won't buy it

Forgot the image like a cunt

Attached: nubia-red-magic-3-1.jpg (581x700, 131K)

>Looks ugly as fuck
>No NFC
>gimmick fan
Cringe and bluepilled.

cringe

I decided to buy F1 as people advised here, but now I wonder how fast a poo-chink phone with this will be developed.
Especially since F1 notch i kind big.

When you grow up you'll realise that no one gives a fuck how your phone looks unless they're iToddlers.

>Implying iToys looks any good

Shut up boomer.

curious what you use NFC for? i use a smartwatch for contactless payments but have literally no other use of it

meanwhile iCucks still have their ugly giant ass notches...

Attached: skynews-samsung-apple-iphone_4148575.jpg (1600x900, 83K)

Contactless payments and public transport, it's not a deal breaker (obviously) but a nice convenience.

>built-in fan
why would anyone consider this a selling point
it just means the phone is prone to overheating and needs a manual WHIIIIIIIRing fan to cool down

What country you live in?
How easy it is to install a rom like that

>How easy it is to install a rom like that
As long as you're somewhat literate, you'll be okay.

It's for """gaymers."""

It's actually inaudible, why would they make something awful? It wouldn't sell. Besides, it's only using a 855, which is very common in the high end but is designed to mostly process high workloads in small bursts such as processing a slowmo vid or high res images, the fan is to allow gamerkiddies to stay at high compute loads for long periods. The longevity of the phone will probably be greatly increase by warping less due to the extremely inconsistent heat distribution and distortion of most high end phones.
In hot weather even in a northern European country, when watching 720p youtube outdoors will lead to greatly reduced battery duration and in direct sunlight, overheating throttling

Forgot to mention that 855 is 7nm making both its efficiency and high performance cores very efficient.

>Looks ugly as fuck
Just put a case on it

>the fan is to allow gamerkiddies to stay at high compute loads for long periods
Is there a single game out there that could use this? The most popular ones like PUBG don't throttle even on an 845 afaik, not sure about Fortnite. Just seems like a pointless add.

well, the case has to exist. The amount of holes for cooling and ports/sensors would be pretty comical-looking. Show me if you find one.

I like to use my phones caseless when I'm home.

have sex incel

>krautfag with telekom
Xiaomi makes you wait 15ish days until you can unlock the bootloader so its kinda shitty. After that i had it running in about 2hrs. Most guides seem so be for the Note 7 (lavender) and not the pro (violet) so you have to doublecheck your rom

gsmarena.com/samsung_phone_pops_up_on_geekbench_could_be_a_galaxy_s_active-news-37355.php
Rugged flagships are back on the menu.

Attached: samsung-galaxy-s9-burgundy-red.jpg (570x600, 41K)

This is just a prototype fist of all and do you prefer accidental touches or a notch which can't be hidden/turned off on your iPhones? Huh?

I literally never notice the chin on my Mi Mix 3, always noticed the notch before I sold my iPhone XS.

>US carriers exclusive as always
Yeah...

why do people prefer these to just using a case?

any way to easily clean the bloatware from samsung s9+?

what the FUCK

It doesn't need the fan. It's a gimmick. You have to manually turn it on. It's as good in thermals as other sd855 phones. Plus the international version comes pretty much with stock Android. Should run all GSI ROMs pretty well.

xda-developers.com/disable-system-app-bloatware-android/

You simply buy an iPhone.

If you have the Exynos variant flash LOS. Otherwise throw it in the garbage bin.

It won't throttle but it will be cooler to touch. Plus everyone seems to forget about those touch buttons on its side that you can assign to any point on screen. It's going to be perfect for emulation.

isnt the sd version the best? why i cant flash it?

Honestly nobody here seems to have any arguments against it other than "gamer design bad" so I had to do the research. Jerryrigeverything found it quite fragile, though passing his bend test, and I personally think it's going to catch all the debris in the pocket so a case is a requirement. People on xda say that DC dimming only works in the chink ROM. I'll wait for a few month and see whether the software is fixed/custom ROMs appear. If that's the case I'll buy it, nothing else seems to be this promising.
Better performance and battery life but completely locked down.

twitter.com/NokiaMobile/status/1135423400602525697
Why do mid range nokias need a fucking google assistant button?

Attached: why is that needed.png (596x749, 84K)

So, I refused to buy a phone with a notch because it's an obvious transitional phase, but now I have no phone and I must choose between

>buy a phone with a flip-up/flip-out camera
>wait for in-display cameras

desu I think K20 Pro is the best choice right now. it's for sure getting popular. I also prefer no unavoidable camera, even though unavoidable fingerprint sensor is even more insane.

I'd go for the ZenFone but I've read every user impression out there and there's too many red flags.

Attached: 1517548948189.jpg (500x641, 45K)

Ps2 and PSP games

>tall
>slippery
>razor thin

God, that looks like an ergonomics nightmare. Normies completely ruined technology.

The only red flag on the Zenphone is the screen

Fuck you cunt. 90% of these threads are phones that have no US bands.

no one cares what you look like mr tinfoil hat

are nokia phones good?

Attached: nokia-6-2018-1.jpg (660x688, 67K)

Anyone have recommendations for a tempered glass screen protector for the OnePlus 7 Pro? Doesn't seem like there's much selection on Amazon or TMobile.

As a huge fan of the ZenFone design, I wish this were true. Real-life battery tests are disappointing and K20 completely stole its niche, so get ready for 0 developer support.

I want to shill it but not when it's my money on the line.

Oh and forgot to mention, terribly botched launch (still can't buy it, retailers left in the dark) gives me extreme doubts that ASUS is serious about supporting this phone in the long-term, especially if it doesn't sell very well.

They are but they have slipped up with their recent range. The 7 plus was an excellent phone for the money. Can't say that about their new ones, especially at the price they are asking.

Because Apple patented folding the oled at hmthe bottom to get a smaller chin

>ywn film your qt Asian gf showing a underdisplay camera phone

Attached: 1549427296988.jpg (762x548, 68K)

Because China spies on us. Don't ask questions goy

Price is an excuse.

So are all the pop up and flip camera phones coming out this year already outdated? Would it be smarter to just wait for the under display phones?

No, fuck your carriers for still fucking you over and still using CDMA bands when the rest of the world has somehow managed to figure it all out and standardize.

some people don't like having a camera in their face at all times

The vast majority of phones have a camera at your face at all times.

this always makes me kek

I hope whoever came up with this character got a raise

Attached: great-laugh-reaction-gif.gif (480x228, 510K)

I use my phone for texting people, shitposting here and youtube casting to my TV.
Yesterday my Sony XA1 failed for the second time for the same fault, battery drains in 60 seconds when a sim card is inserted. Already had it repaired for this about 9 months ago and my contract ends next month.
Sony customer support was TERRIBLE, slow, didn't respond to emails, phone support were idiots, original replacement got lost in the post and courier confirmed it was lost and took fault but Sony took a month to resolve and get my handset replaced.

Ordered a Hauwei P30 lite because specs look nice, yes I'm aware that it won't get Google updates but the price for spec seemed really good for what I want to do.
How bad did I fuck up?

tl;dr: Just ordered P30 lite, am I retarded?

wait and see, they'll probably come to some agreement with Google

depends, how much did you get it for?

>How bad did I fuck up?
massively, should have got a Redmi Note 7

£16 per month on a with more minutes texts and data than I can consume on a 24 month contract. No upfront charge.
That's somewhat cheap for a UK contract where flagship phones are at £40-£50 per month.

Looks good but no NFC.

The sliding mechanism of the Mi Mix 3 is really goddamn satisfying. Like a flip phone back in the day.

I assume you would have to accept the fact you can never use a case and I've used MIUI before so fuck that, but still. Feels real good.

Oh fuck, the P30 lite doesn't have NFC either. I am retarded!

user why don't you research your phone before purchasing it?

Attached: 1492834281625.png (293x323, 168K)

I did have a good read through and of all the things I checked it was the one thing I missed.
Kinda rushed because I'm currently phoneless and if I ordered this morning it would arrive tomorrow.
Managing a divorce currently, how can my ex send horrible text messages to me if I don't have a phone?!

>accidental touches
imagine not knowing that software has rendered accidental touches a non issue
>inb4 anecdotal evidence