Dark mode fags BTFO

tidbits.com/2019/05/31/the-dark-side-of-dark-mode. Why don't hear the voice of reason, user?

Attached: Technicolor-Abe.jpg (370x307, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20074715
ux.stackexchange.com/questions/53264/dark-or-white-color-theme-is-better-for-the-eyes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jow Forums and especially freetards don't give a fuck about logic or scientific research. A few years ago (I'm pretty sure it's in archive somewhere) I posted my medical ophthalmologist id and said that dark mode is more damaging to eyes when we were having a discussion about that. Do you think anyone listened? Some people can't be helped

Weak bait, OP. People would rather use dark mode than lowering the brightness and make the screen look anemic.

I'm using 0 monitor brightness, night light at 25 during day and 65 during night. All my IDE's are custom cream and beige colored. I win.

1) learn to quote
2) check IPs count you absolute newshit

so the author basically only gives a fuck about productivity

k, but what about these bright screens that are still almost blinding even when on lowest brightness and redshift enabled? that shit causes migraines for me. they also didn't touch on bluescreen effect and if there's a difference between using a dark background vs a light background

generally shitty article desu.

tl;dr for those wondering: productivity is everything, the article

open the blinds, let the sunlight in, don't be a hikki.

I'm still using (modified) Google+ theme on Jow Forums.

Attached: 1543791717508.png (1831x1009, 245K)

ok

but it's close to the middle of the night

>multiple IP count means that there HAS to be multiple people
I'm not surprised such a techlet is trying so hard to sound smart on Jow Forums.

time to get some sleep then?

na, i just got up

fix your monitor instead of relying on shitty hacks?

Well, how is this news?
Dark mode has been scientifically shown multiple already as being both harder to read and harder on the eyes.
Dark themes are just a pseudo-nostalgic gimmick, since very old terminals displayed white characters on a black background for technical limitations.
However, light mode has always been the default once it was technically possible.

Attached: IMG_1376.png (421x237, 84K)

>muh freetards

WTF I like light mode now

Then turn down the gamma value, genius. Piss filters and dark themes work, but brightness and gamma adjustment if necessary are obviously the "proper" solutions when your display is too bright.

The sun is bright and hot. That's a lot of heat coming in that I don't want.

so turn on the lights then

(((((scientific research)))))

>Makes crappy argument about dark mode being bad for legibility
>Site itself is only 25% of available screen real estate, but still uses full width justification for the tiny 'frame'
fuck off.

Attached: shit.png (2560x1440, 421K)

can I get a qrd?

>fullscreen browsing
lol

Dumb macfag.

> trying to read 1000-character wide lines
> full screen browser
are you retarded? go look up basic page layout principles or shut up

Text is best read at 70-80 characters per line.
No wonder you don't like light mode, you don't even know the basics of readability.

Did anyone else try to move their mouse?

Attached: 2019-06-03_15:39:09.png (147x90, 4K)

he got assblasted by HackerNews crowd
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20074715

Go peddle your shit elsewhere.

qed

>some anecdotes and broscience

Literally no one in that thread has a coherent argument. Nothing but wannabe hacker dweebs who don't know how to turn down their monitor brightness.

YES AND IT LOWERED MY PRODUCTIVITY, PLEASE READ MY RESEARCH PAPER ON WHY ROUND BRACKETS SHOULD ALWAYS BE USED INSTEAD OF SQUARE BRACKETS GUYS ITS SCIENCE.

Seriously though I just prefer dark colored themes even if scientists say its 5% harder to read or uses 1% more CPU on your iPad

Hmm it seems like display manufacturers can jump in on this and take advantage.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (657x527, 32K)

OP stop samefagging.
Watching at lamp blasting white light is not better than blasting some darker light

?

hello bump! Why is the faggots saying light mode is good? It is clearly not

>dweebs who don't know how to turn down their monitor brightness
>Watching at lamp blasting white light
Like pottery.

Protip faggots: a white webpage on your monitor should be about as bright as a piece of white paper. And if you can't read paper comfortably, your room is too dark.

>a white webpage on your monitor should be about as bright as a piece of white paper.
did you finish elementary school, or your redneck school didn't have physics?

>just casually glossing over the very real problems of glare and eye fatigue that come with "fuck your retinas" white screens

Attached: 1559269933343.jpg (657x960, 93K)

Paper reflects light you dumb cunt. Shine a flashlight on a piece of paper and it will be brighter than your monitor. Amazing, huh? So make sure your monitor is emitting about as much light as your paper is reflecting.

it's not light of same characteristics, paper reflects natural light, screen emits artificial light, also you can't achieve same contrast on screen with low brightness as on paper

During the night (when people say they need dark mode), your room will be lit by light bulbs, and paper will be reflecting that artificial light.

>During the night
>your room will be lit by light bulbs
i beg to differ

So turn a fucking light on. Amazing the lengths nerds will go to justify their hacker larps.

Screenshot

>caring about hackernews

pardon?

>uses more CPU
what?

Problem?

Attached: Screenshot_20190603-132203.png (1080x1920, 442K)

i wonder if steven jerbs would be laughing at current apple

This.
Dark is better in dark, light is better in light.
Matching your ambient setting (along with using blue light dimming modes) go a LONG way with reducing eye strain.
The author is also fixated on migraines and not just eye strain as well.

Solarized light errywhere, fight me.

YOU are all to fucking retarded dumbfugs who know shit about your own eyes:

However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.

The reason why this matters is because of focus. As this article on UXMovement states, "white stimulates all three types of color sensitive visual receptors in the human eye in nearly equal amounts." It causes the eye to focus by tightening the iris. Since the eye is focused, dark letter forms on light backgrounds are easier to read. When using a dark background with strong light letter forms, the iris opens to allow more light in, but that causes letter forms to blur. Why?

People with astigmatism (approximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the "deformed" lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.
ux.stackexchange.com/questions/53264/dark-or-white-color-theme-is-better-for-the-eyes

The article says that "dark mode", I guess it's an iOS feature, causes the device to use more CPU (probably because it's running this "dark mode" program).

have a doi? I’m actually interested in this.

>look what my research show
Most doctor fags disregard the power of n=1, esp. when the the person you're talking to is that 1.
I hate direct light and bright colors, it hurts my eyes, and no amount of averages, or whatever else results is going to change that.
fuck brightness.

>doctors
PhDs are much different than MDs.

Maybe so, however, no title or position of authority changed my argument whatsoever.
It may be damaging, I have no idea and I haven't read any of it myself, however, most people would go for the short-tern pain and discomfort mitigation, rather than a palliative drug with the knowledge in the back of their mind that, just for example's sake, on average of x people who self-report to using predominately or to a greater degree darker colors (with reduced brightness in a darker setting) experience more eye problems later in life.