Is it possible to run Linux Mint on this netbook?

The netbook is known as the micromax lapbook L1161. Link to the product website >micromaxinfo.com/laptops/mini-laptop/canvas-lapbook-l1161/specifications.html
I took it to my local computer store and the guy there said it has a flash drive and hence the OS can not be changed.
I tried booting from USB and it just doesn't work. It boots Windows 10 instead of Linux from the USB drive.

Attached: lapbook l1161.png (624x463, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.technet.microsoft.com/home_is_where_i_lay_my_head/2012/10/02/how-to-check-in-windows-if-you-are-using-uefi/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

did you change the boot order in bios?

I did. Doesn't work.

turn off secure boot

you'd at least get a boot error if the Mint drive is bootable. what did you use to write the iso file?

Done, no joy.

Win32 and Rufus, tried both.

what the hell is "Win32" in the context of writing disk images?
anyway, did you pick DD Image when rufus prompted you?

Yes, I chose DD image.

Win32 disk imager is the thing.

okay, so the boot drive is correct. just to make sure you're trying to boot from the mint drive, does your BIOS have a way to select boot device *once* at boot time?

I was booting from the mint drive. I used the boot loader and chose the drive and it appeared to boot from the USB but then after a minute of staring at the blank screen it booted Windows instead.

are you booting the drive in BIOS mode and not UEFI mode?

I guess, yeah. Since this one has BIOS instead of UEFI. (Correct me if needed)

most new mobos have UEFI

This one might seem new but it isn't. it has BIOS.
I think I might be lacking some knowledge about UEFI, am I right?

it has a atom Z3735F, which would imply a just as recent or more recent mobo. 2014 mobos definitely have uefi

Okay. So what should I do now to be able to boot in UEFI mode?

uefi's what you don't want, are you sure you're not already in uefi?
blogs.technet.microsoft.com/home_is_where_i_lay_my_head/2012/10/02/how-to-check-in-windows-if-you-are-using-uefi/

Okay, found it. It is in UEFI mode instead of BIOS legacy. What next? Can it be changed?

yes
check uefi/bios settings, the correct option will be labeled "Legacy", "CSM", or "BIOS"

I tried to do that. I can't find the settings. I also tried to change the settings of UEFI but that hasn't got anything to change, it just takes me to the boot loader.

no legacy/csm option in boot selection? no legacy/csm option anywhere in uefi options? weird ass mobo software
i'm stumped, most computers should have an option for legacy boot

Attached: headache.jpg (1920x1080, 548K)

I don't know man this machine is weird.
Is there anything else I should try?

Sometimes, you need to disable secure boot.
Sometimes, you need to change boot to Legacy Mode (Windows probably wont boot after that [unless you reinstall or fix boot partition] if you don't care about dual booting)
Sometimes, you gotta add the grub file (of the live CD into list of "secure" boot options)

forgot to add, install gentoo after that

I see. I am trying to find the option for legacy boot.

Isn't Linux Mint okay?

if you can't find the legacy boot option (Its probably under Boot Method or Boot Options or something like that), you can try this
>Sometimes, you gotta add the grub file (of the live CD into list of "secure" boot options)
just insert a USB (ready for live boot), open bios settings, go to boot, add secure os options or something similar, browse to your device (USB) > /boot > grub.cfg or something similar file, click add, name is something like [stallman] and save and exit.

Also, have you tried F12-ing while booting? Many PC give option to choose boot method directly for one-time-boot (Bios changes boot order forever, F12 generally does for that instance only]

I used the F12 key to access the boot menu and chose the USB. Is that what you are talking about?

yeah, that probably should work [it worked for me doing linux mint install on friend's laptop, it was dell tho]

> download Linux Mint
> use disk imager
> Mint USB ready
That is the way right?
And it is not even booting from the USB, forget it getting installed.