Redpill me on arduino

Redpill me on arduino

Attached: 1559574698172.png (600x600, 302K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O_Q1WKCtWiA
st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/1b/03/1b/b4/88/20/4e/cd/DM00105928.pdf/files/DM00105928.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00105928.pdf
wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Blue_Pill
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>redpills you on arduino

gay toy

STM32 is where the real bois are.

decent for learning if you implement drivers and stuff for peripherals but go for some stm32 for actual use cases

Proprietary babbi tier.

Get a AVR (atmega based uCs comes in 8/16/32), or PIC based uCs for more power get a STM16/32 which is ARM based.

Attached: ESP8266-OLED-preflashed-development-board-Screen-0-96-inch-OLED-version-ESP8266-18650-0-96-inch.jpg (1000x1000, 121K)

attiny, teensy, are examples of AVRs

VRs are generally classified into following:

tinyAVR – the ATtiny series
Main article: ATtiny microcontroller comparison chart
0.5–32 KB program memory
6–32-pin package
Limited peripheral set
megaAVR – the ATmega series
4–256 KB program memory
28–100-pin package
Extended instruction set (multiply instructions and instructions for handling larger program memories)
Extensive peripheral set
XMEGA – the ATxmega series
16–384 KB program memory
44–64–100-pin package (A4, A3, A1)
32-pin package: XMEGA-E (XMEGA8E5)
Extended performance features, such as DMA, "Event System", and cryptography support
Extensive peripheral set with ADCs
Application-specific AVR
megaAVRs with special features not found on the other members of the AVR family, such as LCD controller, USB controller, advanced PWM, CAN, etc.
FPSLIC (AVR with FPGA)
FPGA 5k to 40k gates
SRAM for the AVR program code, unlike all other AVRs
AVR core can run at up to 50 MHz[9]
32-bit AVRs

Main article: AVR32

In 2006, Atmel released microcontrollers based on the 32-bit AVR32 architecture. This was a completely different architecture unrelated to the 8-bit AVR, intended to compete with the ARM-based processors. It had a 32-bit data path, SIMD and DSP instructions, along with other audio- and video-processing features. The instruction set was similar to other RISC cores, but it was not compatible with the original AVR (nor any of the various ARM cores). Since then support for AVR32 has been dropped from Linux as of kernel 4.12; Atmel has switched mostly to M variants of the ARM architecture.

They are better for single use tasks like a remote, sensor, fancontroller, digital relay, PWM, ect..

Where STM32 are more for general computing tasks.
People like to do a mix of both.

u are like little babby. real men roll their own PCBs.

my man. for real points put an FPGA down and write your own processor.

This guys a chink spammer.
Just get a micro controller of your style and get a ESP8266 external board if you want wifi.

More modular, smaller size cause you can stack, cheaper.

If you have to be "red pilled" on a micro controller you're too fucking dumb to make use of one anyways.

Pretty much this. If you're looking to learn, they're fantastic! But if you're looking for stuff to actually be used in products, you should probably go with something else.

This is nothing but a massive meme by now, you can get an arduino micro or similar for less than you can get the individual components and assemble them, unless you're running the project on batteries its literally cheaper to just stuck the fucking entire board there. They are all the exact same shit its just that arduino is carrying the weight of what used to be the truth back in 2006.

OR don't be a fag and get an ESP32 in the first place. Some are even faster than their arduino counterparts

never mind the microcontroller, what are some interesting dirt-cheap peripherals?

Most men just need a microcontroller with basic IO. This is done a million times before. No need to design the fucking wheel again if you can buy a board for a few bucks.

just get ESP32
>b-but STM32
it's expensive as fuck, I can buy shitload of ESP32 like buying candies

Good for beginners or quick prototypes but not recommended if you want to scale up your project.

was good as a gateway into electronics/embedded back in the mid to late aughts, has since been surpassed by better boards that have better tools and more functionality/power at around the same price range (STM32, ESP32, mBed, raspberry pi and friends, etc).

I would not buy one at this point, even if you are a complete beginner to everything tech.

Something you can get cheaper in aliexpress.

Attached: 1555748090108.png (1920x1080, 1.6M)

poor man's raspberry pie

it's cheap but you cannot really do that much with it. If you want a basic thing to control small stuff then it is good. (You can use it to create a drone if you want)

what do people do with these? can I get a specific example of a project?

attach all bunch of shit like plants, toys and food to it which all play various hentai sound clips when you touch them

I'm still mad. Fuck exams desu.

Attached: 1558428755835.jpg (640x480, 47K)

ESP8266 cheaper and faster and have WIFI

Attached: ESP8266OLED.jpg (1000x1000, 129K)

it's an emdedded development board for newbies.
it's a gateway.
when you get better, and you realize that you can program it using a normal toolchain instead of arduino, that's when you realize that they're really expensive for what they are; but, most people would never have gotten to that point without having first bought one.
if you don't know what you're doing, then get one.
look at all the cool things you can do with it.
then realize that all of the niceties are holding back the full potential of the microprocessor, and that you could be doing much much more.
the only thing holding you back at that point is knowledge, creativity, and motivation.

You pay for their effort in designing it, not for he product.
that thing with name brand components and a custom board will cost you $5 to make yourself, which you can easily if you develop the skillset in 5 minutes time.
they charge $50 for the fucking thing.

most people who buy them will never use them to their potential due to the fact that most people who buy them are noobs that got memed on.

the ide isnt necessary. You can program (atleast the micro) by compiling with gcc and pushing it to the board through avrdude but the trick is to get the inital usb id when the thing boots up. 1.4 seconds after power on the usb switches. the avrdud has to be executed during this exact moment when the first usb id is still active. Im sure there is a reboot command that the arduino ide uses to automate this.

the atmel chip is legit but you dont work at that level. It has the arduino bootloader on there and it presets a ton of shit and basically babyproofs the thing so you dont have to learn how to do shit like set internal pullup/down resistors or set the pins to different modes. with the arduino boot loader it all sorta just werks and you get to have the feelgoods about being a hot shit electronics engineer but without having to learn a fucking thing.

pic related is a compact arduino that is functionally the same.

with that being said they are goat for just getting shit up and running without having to fuck without a breadboard and having to set up the main circuitry every.. fucking.. time.
10/10 would buy again.

Attached: obaka-ver2-arduino-e1312646600888.jpg (470x353, 36K)

youre the type of kid that gets 3x sli 1080 tis to play fucking fortnight.

Apples and oranges.

A Pi (or any other SBC for that matter) is an overkill for most embedded applications

Not to mention the pi lacks any mentionale pwm functionality.

>hotgluing things directly into the micro
my fucking sides

based

this, esp8266 or esp32 are great for embedded projects, my only gripe is that they're so fast i can't use my cheap logic analyzer with them

Its called deadbug. google it, very neat.

Attached: FKT0JXEI4WYT3HD.LARGE.jpg (1024x768, 107K)

Do any of these things run on open source firmware?

i just used an uno to make a midi controller that plays chords instead of just notes. you pick the root note and you get 16 buttons each one plays a chord. meant to be a tool for songwriting and for live electronic music performance

Typical example
youtube.com/watch?v=O_Q1WKCtWiA

Attached: picard-facepalm.jpg (921x606, 36K)

I used one to control a LED display showing the number of available seats on a cafeteria, I displayed the total capacity of the cafeteria when the system was first turned on and then just subtracted 1 whenever someone passed through one of the entrance turnstiles and added back 1 when someone used one of the exit turnstyles

???

I would never be able to solder shit nearly enough to make something like this without accidentally fusing wires or leads together.

yes

They are just microcontrollers with an usb interface and breakout board included, they have no "firmware".

Everything else from the PCB schematics to the bootloader and core libraries are open source

its an artform.
stuff like this is extremly impractical. The slightest twist and the entire thing shorts out and frys itself.
Also its practically serviceable.

the only times shit like that is even remotely acceptable is when space is an issue.

The fist one would be nice for going into a socket or saving space on a breadboard if the legs still ahve enough length that are inspec to fit into the sockets.

>Proprietary babbi tier.
Arduino is open hardware.

>avr breakout board is Proprietary babbi tier.
>get an avr

Attached: 1505364375037.jpg (1000x667, 112K)

WS2812 LEDs are extremely fun, if kinda useless.

ESP32 minimal boards are like $4, STM32F1 "Bluepill" is like $2.5. Debugging is cheaper for STM due to dirt cheap ST-Link clones, but you have to be really poor to not have extra $10-20 for a debugger.
For production uses, it depends entirely on whether you want wireless, or you want lower power consumption and a choice of packages.

Here's a pluggable Modbus/TCP over Wi-Fi module that I made recently. Although the performance kinda sucks due to the massive overhead of Arduino API.

Attached: DSC_0016.jpg (1536x2048, 256K)

Excellent. I guess I'm so used to /tpg/'s struggle to get coreboot working that I assumed it was a universal problem.

Basic Arduino is literally Atmega328/Atmega32u4 with a noob friendly (open source!) API.

Also
>recommending PIC in A.D. 2019

>why yes I do have autism, how can you tell?

What went wrong with PIC? We used them for several projects at my last company.

>why yes i'm jealous that someone made a piece of art with skills far greater than my own, how could you tell?

PIC16/18 is nice but old, Cortex-M0 chips are better in every way.
PIC32 and dsPIC are very niche with little software and community support.

>with little software and community support.
We used PIC32, and especially dsPIC, by reading the datasheets, then writing what we needed. I guess that's passe now.

It's been passe since the concept of code reuse was invented.
Of course, you don't just blindly copypaste stuff from stackoverflow if you want to make good software, but being able to google a solution to some obscure problem in 5 minutes instead of 5 hours of poking around with datasheets and oscilloscope can be nice.

>It's been passe since the concept of code reuse was invented.
We reused in-house code, not other companies'.

They were outclassed long ago by ARM Cortex M0 and M4 chips in performance, power usage and price.

>performance, power usage and price.
That is a much more useful answer, thanks.

Id disagree.
You dont need an arm chip to work the mute switch on a microphone

weird example I know, why would that even be in a mic. The xbox one headset adapter has a pic in it. I can honestly see them putting an arm in it instead even though its ridiculous that theres any chip in it in the firstplace.

Even if a chip is absurd amounts of over kill, if it's both the lowest power and the cheapest choice, it'll get used.

I agree but I dont think an arm chip is 5 american penneis

it's just fucking C++ dude.

Attached: fone.jpg (500x209, 22K)

just looked, according to chinese ebay sellers the fucking arm is cheaper some how. we future now.

I recently bought an Intel d2000 microcontroller board - was like $14 bucks, so I figured why the hell not.
It comes with it's own IDE you can install for free. It definitely has a lot of bells and whistles. The only downside is coding it looks like a nightmare mainly because there isn't a lot of instructions for stupid people like me.

I bought an arduino Uno also, but I've yet to really use either board yet because they are both recent acquisitions.
I have a temperature/humidity sensor and a 16x2 LCD screen. My goal is to get a "thermostat" working with the Intel board because it has a pre-built CR2032 battery compartment. The uno board it comes separate if you want one.
Fun stuff.

Attached: quark-d2000-06.jpg (650x430, 87K)

If you need a mute switch, there's ATtiny, anything bigger would be overkill if only due to the wasted PCB space.

The problem with PIC32 is that they are jack of all trades, master of none - they are neither particularly fast, nor particularly particularly power efficient, nor offer a wide range of peripherals, nor have a big code base. Although I gotta give Microchip props for their IDE and pricing.

Quark is dead in the water. It was Intel's attempt to bite a piece of the hobby electronics pie from AVR/STM/ESP, but they half-assed it with software support.

Completely agree.
That being said, 14 bucks m8.

The Quark is effectively "discontinued" with the last orders that can be made is in July of this year. Fulfillment to 2021 (but lets be honest it won't take that long to fulfill any order that were made)
So yea, I know it's buying at the end-of-lifecycle, but that is sometimes the perfect time to pick something up. You know you won't have to fuck around with upgrades or updates.

Are stm32 as "plug and play" as Arduinos?
I recall Cortex boards require using the Windows IDE or something.

What's the point of learning APIs and programming tricks for something that's dead and will never be useful?
Also, unless you really need ultra low power consumption, you can get an ARM board with comparable power/features for like $3 plus a debugger for $2 more, or a vastly more powerful one for $10.

>Cortex boards
nucleo boards

There's a bunch of IDEs to choose from, I'm pretty sure not all of them Windows based. They're not nearly as plug and play as Arduino (the ST HAL API is kind of a clusterfuck, OpenCM3 requires some dexterity to set up, etc), but they give you way more flexibility than toylike Arduino APIs.

One big advantage of Cortex-M chips over Arduino is the availability of a real debugger through gdb, not just a barebones programmer and serial monitor.

what's the very cheapest ARM board?

STM32F103C8T6 "Blue pill", less than $2.

You'll need a ST-LINK debugger for it, that's another $2.

Attached: STM32F103C8T6-ARM-STM32-Minimum-System-Development-Board-Module-For-arduino.jpg_640x640.jpg (640x640, 99K)

Tbh I'm just looking for something I could dive into after making it work for some trivial stuff.
I like arduino because it's easy to get started, then get deeper by doing interrupts manually, then flashing it manually from the command line.
I was searching for something similar with a 32 bit ARM processor. Those STM nucleo board seemed nice but skimming the getting started leaflet, it's focused on windows st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/1b/03/1b/b4/88/20/4e/cd/DM00105928.pdf/files/DM00105928.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00105928.pdf

cheers

UwU whats that? daisy chained shift register?

Most first-party development tools are Windows based. IIRC ST's TrueStudio and STM32CubeMX are Windows-only, but they're the only Cortex-M related thing I know that could be remotely called "plug and play".

Unless you limit yourself to a few MCU families with good Linux support (e.g. AVR and ESP32) or enjoy kludges, Windows software is something you have to live with as an embedded programmer. Doubly so if you want to dabble in PCB design too, all industry standard software for that like PADS, Altium, OrCAD etc. is Windows only.

Attached: 1320781217660.jpg (848x727, 108K)

10/10 post

Thanks. I guess I'll lurk more on forums discussing nucleo boards to grasp a better understanding of what is going on before getting started myself.

Wait for Elon Musk to dab on ISP giants so you can pollute public spaces with IoT garbage.

gcc, kicad, yosis.

For PCBs, Kicad runs on linux and is good enough for the basics.

>Kicad runs on linux and is good enough for the basics

That's the problem, it's sort of like FreeCAD compared to AutoCAD. It works as babby's first EDA, but if you want something even remotely serious, or a job in the industry, you'll have to re-learn because all of that (FUCKING SHIT) software handles differently.

>gcc
Like 90% of toolchains use gcc regardless of platform. It's about having an IDE, debugger drivers and definitions, init code generation etc. - sometimes you can easily have all that on Linux, sometimes you can but have to put it together by yourself, and sometimes pieces are missing.

I pay for genuine Arduinos because designing things is not cheap, and their IDE is pretty good. Jow Forums NEETs simply can't understand raising an ecosystem isn't free (as in price) when you're doing free software/hardware.

If you're a student or broke/3rd world hobbyist sure, buy chink clones, but if you have a bit more cash try and buy the real thing now and then.

you know you can just donate to them and buy whatever you want, right?

Why would I donate if I can buy their products instead?

>reinventing the wheel
Just get a Zynq board like pic related or the Zybo.

Attached: 1558743888912.jpg (1139x1036, 320K)

>redpill
>arduino
The real redpill is STM32

Attached: STM32 Redpill.jpg (800x333, 98K)

Comfy thread.

/μCg/ when?

Attached: pc-tower-aquarium.jpg (435x434, 31K)

Since STM32 is ARM, doesn't that mean it has firmware baked into the CPU soc?

Someone explain the need for a different "debugger" "programmer" for every device.

Why do ATMEL and STM require different ones?
Is it voltage levels or is logic being converted?

Can't I just hook up some resistors to a serial port and interface with the different chips?

Is a jtag a generic programmer that can be used on either?

>$50
Just get the knock off version from ali express, they're basically the same for a couple of bucks.

Because their products are basic af and cover only a small part of possible applications of their IDE.

Attached: esp8285 module.jpg (600x600, 34K)

It's a bit of a clusterfuck. There are several kinds of debug interfaces (JTAG, SWD, ICSP, BDM etc), they can operate at different frequencies with different quirks, and there are different ways to use them in software (GDB server, various proprietary drivers). A hardware debug device may support one or more debug interfaces for a bunch of processor families, and an IDE may support one or more ways of interfacing with different debuggers. In general, you just have to google what debugger options work with your processor of choice.

Attached: DSC_0017.jpg (2048x1536, 150K)

STM32 boards are literally called bluepill, blackpill etc. wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Blue_Pill

>Can't I just hook up some resistors to a serial port and interface with the different chips?

It's a bit more complex than that, there are more signals than just serial I/O (specifically, all debug interfaces I know include a clock signal), and in general you want a higher interface speed than what a standard serial port can provide.
It's possible to take a FT232H/2232H USB to serial adapter and make it into a JTAG debugger, it'll work with OpenOCD debugging API and thus any IDE that supports interfacing with OpenOCD. But this is specific to this particular FTDI chip that has several non-standard operation modes.

where do they even sell the thing

I hear the $3.50 black pill is more reliable, is this true?