Do you trust it enough, Jow Forums?

do you trust it enough, Jow Forums?
>+recommended by snowden and schneier
>+just werkz, easy to get normie friends to use it because you tell them its like iMessage for all phones, no GPG bullshittery or creating an account

Attached: lxFDD-4n.png (512x512, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

signal.org/android/apk/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

crap, i forgot backwards arrows don't work on this chan

HIIIIIROOOOOO

do I trust the crypto? yes.
do I trust moxie to not be a giant fucking faggot? no.

that said this is the path of least resistance that I've found for getting normies to use something properly end-to-end encrypted and private.

the only con is that devs are gay and force google services down your throat and can't get it to f-droid

signal.org/android/apk/
>install apk and update every other week
>dont be a fuck and use a ROM without google play services such as lineage
>giant fucking faggot
as in, doing a mozilla on us and leaking info out + adding telemetry? or do you mean being a faggot as in just being an arrogant pain in the ass like he has proven to be already?

>being a faggot as in just being an arrogant pain in the ass like he has proven to be already?
this one. He fought tooth and nail against removing the play services dependency and still hates federation. Also if I remember correctly his being a dick is the only reason its not on f-droid. I think it was something to do with the fact that f-droid can be told to leave an app as it is and you can choose not to update, and he didn't like that. (you can see this in how there's another pointless release of signal every week or so, and it badgers you to upgrade even if there's no security patch needed)

Jesus just use standard message that comes with the phone. A text is a fucking text.

thanks for clarifying.
why do you trust the service to be private?
also do you think it's inclusion of google play services is a security flaw? most people are on phones with it installed anyway, and it seems to only use google play services for notifications on android, not iOS. what I'm trying to ask is do you think considering 99% of android normies have google play services and tonnes of spyware on their phone (facebook, uber, tinder, instagram, snapchat) that your messages are safe even if you're using signal and if it didnt have google play services?

phone service providers sell texts to facebook. I can confirm in Australia at least, when i had a facebook, every time i switched ISP my new service provider would join the list of "advertising partners" in facebook settings. i then proceeded to text "dog toys" multiple times to a friend, and sure enough i started getting ads on facebook regarding dog toys.
not to mention that all ISP's and telecommunication companies are bound by data retention laws.
Anything you text can and will be used against you in court of law.

>>why do you trust the service to be private?
Well I'm not an expert but the crypto seems to be on solid foundations instead of the roll-your-own some other apps have, you can search for the gory details if you want. More important are two other things, though. One is that compromising your privacy wouldn't provide them an avenue towards making money that I can see. (this is why, for instance, I wouldn't trust whatsapp now that Facebook owns them) Two, you can find the full account of this on their website, they've had a subpoena from the feds demanding all sorts of information on two Signal users. Names, locations, other contact info, billing records, contacts, text of and metadata about all messages they sent and received. Signal replied saying that of the requested data, the only data they held (and could therefore give to the feds in response) was a timestamp for account creation and a timestamp for the last time Signal's servers had heard from that account. That's it, no identity, no messages, no metadata. Which I take as good evidence that they architected their system properly: so that they don't and can't know or collect most kinds of information about your communications.

>also do you think it's inclusion of google play services is a security flaw?
Well its important to distinguish between security and privacy. Google has a lot of really smart people and provides really good security. They provide no privacy though. That said, Moxie's beef was more what you said, and due to the fact that some kind of notification thing wouldn't work right without it. He relented after someone else did the work of implementing it and demonstrated that it didn't change the user experience at all except for that one thing.

SMS messages are also transmitted in clear, so not just your ISP but anyone on the network path can eavesdrop. Or alter them, there's no authentication.

Not either of them, but this is a good post user. If everyone posted with 45% of the quality you did, this place would be beyond reproach. Thank you.

apple refused to unlock a cellphone in court, yet people here still think they're botnet and are confirmed to be part of PRISM.
how do we know this subpoena wasnt a publicity stunt like apple's court case?

Apple as a corporation is a publicity stunt. Their entire ecosystem is a walled garden. Beyond view of the unwashed masses can you look yourself in the eyes in the mirror and honestly say the ones behind the curtain have a trillion dollar corporation operating on their cattle and they aren't in bed with said masters behind the scenes? It's all a lie. All of it. Android may not be a walled garden but google is fucking lucifer personified. The game has been rigged from the start. The only way to win is not to play.

just use telegram goy

It's surprisingly easy to get normie friends and family on board so that is a definite win. I disagree with Moxie's stance on federation even if just as a matter of principle. I get his point that federation makes it harder to iteratively develop a modern messaging app in a fast-paced society, but it is important to allow selfhosting just to be able to trust their main servers. There is no guarantee that what's on github is 100% what's running on their servers.
Also, matrix exists and seems to prove that federation is not a significant hindrance even with multiple clients.

That said, I don't think I could get my normie peers on matrix, so Signal is the best there is currently.

I just wish it had a decent matrix bridge.

is matrix like the privacy friendly discord/skype/slack?
it has servers like teamspeak and all that does right?
also did they finally impliment encryption?

Problem with matrix is that it is much more difficult to explain, rather than "it's basically like WhatsApp just with more privacy"

Matrix is just a protocol and its most advanced client, Riot.im, does indeed have all the features you mentioned including encryption, but it is still a harder sell since people don't get the concept of being in a "chat room" with only a single other person (as opposed to a DM feature of sorts) and that encryption with multiple devices is a major pain in the ass if a device ever changes (like after flashing a rom)

i have one drug dealer who makes me use this with 1 hour delete time and it sucks because i cant scroll back to see historical prices.
how much did an ounce cost last month? i dont know

>"Is this just the duckduckgo of instant messaging?"

Yes. I'd say move to XMPP and use OMEMO but that's not too normie-friendly.

what a fucking stoned dumbass, that shit destroyed your brain if you can't write in pencil or take a screenshot

you cant write things down on paper?
>last month
why not just try to remember? has your brain been fried that much?
do any of these work without having to find a decentralised instance like you do for teamspeak and stuff like that?
They're just protocols, right?
yeah lol the dumb fuck
also
>buying from a dealer who raises prices on you like a dickhead
this guy is getting fucked lmao

Signal is centralized of course but otherwise it isfucking great.

I am bumping this stupid fucking thread specifically because of this idiot right here. How does he even function?

Attached: 1557090023228.jpg (619x1080, 220K)

>

Now would you look at that. I was right.