Attached: nosystemd.png (512x512, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bykFqda_rsk
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
docs.slackware.com/slackware:package_and_dependency_management_shouldn_t_put_you_off_slackware
youtube.com/watch?v=wbv3gPbyppo
judecnelson.blogspot.com/2014/09/systemd-biggest-fallacies.html
quora.com/How-fast-is-Bash-compared-with-C
venomlinux.org/
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/#orga55345a
twitter.com/AnonBabble

shitty meme

Why does Jow Forums hate systemd

Linux From Scratch

More than 1million lines
Unaudited code
Bloat

Alpine can make a comfy server.
This is apparently the Year of the MX Linux desktop. youtube.com/watch?v=bykFqda_rsk
Void has ponies and is based.
Devuan finally stopped being ancient and also supports both OpenRC and sysvinit.
Install Gentoo.
GuixSD package manager is the future, at least for lisp and scheme lovers.
Parabola is a freetard arch with OpenRC option.
Artix is regular arch with Runit afaik.
And all are wonderful! !

Attached: uguu.jpg (704x400, 37K)

There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

>but muh services. w-what about init scripts?
A common argument in Systemd's defense is that it shortened script length considerably. However, that's only true when comparing Systemd to Sysvinit. Other solutions make this point moot.
This is a common tactic of poettering shills. They'll find the worst possible thing to compare their trash to that makes it look most favorable, while COMPLETELY ignoring all other alternatives.
This same thing happened with PulseAudio, with poettering comparing it to OSS, even though that was already depreciated and replaced with ALSA

Attached: systemdlength.png (1711x1492, 539K)

You left out Slackware, bro.

On purpose. lol no dependency handling in the year of our lord $CURRENT_YEAR

But that's the point.

docs.slackware.com/slackware:package_and_dependency_management_shouldn_t_put_you_off_slackware

Once you start manually handling dependencies you'll see how much better it is.

you don't need to track dependencies for slackware stock packages, just install all of it
also the third party packages in slackbuilds.org have dependency management

all of this sounds retarded

Why is it better?

youtube.com/watch?v=wbv3gPbyppo

slackware sucks. cope.
cunny

I like artix

stale copypaste which has refuted "arguments" (suckless and posix parroting)

cope, slackware sucks.
dependency management happens only if you want, you can use the package manager to only download the package you want without it's dependencied and manually install it. literally less steps than slackware going to the browser and finding dependencies manually and doing tar -xf and running slackbuilds

Literally, unironically, Gentoo.
It's the only systemd-less distro worth half a shit

It's not stale if it's true and still unfixed, kouhaialam

handwaving != refutation
Pottering go home, you drunk

Show me the refutation copypasta then

Attached: 1481032841105.jpg (1275x1200, 518K)

gentoo
no grub either

oh and before
>the biggest myths
judecnelson.blogspot.com/2014/09/systemd-biggest-fallacies.html

wow dude, youre about 5 years late to the party

void gentoo devuan

I don't know, haven't met him yet.

see I don't even use systemd but those arguments are plain bullshit and cringe unixjerking.
It has its uses and is good at what it does.
For example. A client wants certain application/daemon to function, without systemd it needs to be already running, with systemd you only need to have a "socket" enabled which is like a runlevel, so when the client wants it, it is started, and when it is no longer needed it is automatically discarded.
Conditions not only can be client requests, there's a multiple of shit that gets optimized in a server, or even in a desktop to get use out of this and other stuff.
It is just faster and better as an init system.
It's just cringe watching people making arguments based on anything. Just look at that faggot citing sites like suckless, or "without-systemd", or webarchives. Kek.
If you care so much just don't use it, I don't

Attached: 2019-06-03-194235_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 163K)

>For example. A client wants certain application/daemon to function, without systemd it needs to be already running, with systemd you only need to have a "socket" enabled which is like a runlevel, so when the client wants it, it is started, and when it is no longer needed it is automatically discarded.
It's called a oneshot service/script. s6 can do this too. Hell I think void even hacked a way for runit to do it.

>hurr durr just script it with bash
systemd is C

>shell is bad for services because my feelings
Splendid argument

>shell is 20024312 times slower than C
>while systemd syntax is 23412431 better than bash scripting
quora.com/How-fast-is-Bash-compared-with-C

The actual daemons, service managers, etc. are all in C. Scripts are just used to execute them. A hypothetical 0.000000000001s increase in execution time is useless.

>Fallacy #11.1: "You should judge systemd on its technical merits alone, otherwise your criticisms are wrong"
>This is simply naive.
>IT IS SIMPLY NAIVE TO JUDGE BY TECHNICAL AND OBJECTIVE MERIT
>propaganda xDD propaganda Y2613 can also do this
all arguments are that other tools alone can imitate an specific function of systemd, and other argument was that systemd is eating other shit. Like stop using systemd in your distro if you don't want it
>NO NO THEY MAKE IT HARDER TO NOT USE IT!!!
they have 0 control on projects they can't control, simply as that, they can send messages about suggestions and that's it. It's your own fault you depend on other developers and maintainers rather than maintaining your own operating system, debian and arch decided in their own to use it and are contributing to systemd code.
I don't even use it and I don't like it because it's not elegant, but stop parroting bullshit, I miss this is actually right

The shit way to stop a process to shutdown on systememe makes me want to kms. Trying to install another init on Debian or Ubuntu is not possible, fucking hell.

that thing is debian fault because they changed the timers.
A lot of non issues of systemd are debian specific.
I don't know why the they do it, as well as I don't know why they have to change the filesystem hierarchy, target installation of everything and fucking up default configurations, or auto enabling services. It's just debian way of saying fuck you

Systemd also jacks the APT, is that Debian's fault too?

SLACKWARE

what? do you mean apt the debian's package manager?
That has fucks nothing to do with systemd idiot, systemd doesn't develop apt nor does apt use systemd

Yes systemd fucking blocks the package manager!

Systemd updates use APT, you have to wait for it to finish its process or kill it, mostly kill it because it hangs on some systems.

This joke has gone too far.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I can run two terminals, two vi instances, two whatever, this is not systemd fault.
Nice mental gymnastics, just further proving my point on how much of a beehive mentality this board has.
>I don't like systemd so if my mom dies it has to be systemd!
retards

>no argument

>unironically still uses xorg

>"I can run two"
>not answering directly
>insults
Who is making mental gymnastics again?

>26 sep 2011
>even amazon.com (not the cheapest place for electronics) sells decent 500Gb disk drives for less than $50 (USD)
Ah, how far we've come. In current_year, instead of spinning rust, Amazon will sell you a decent 500 Gb SSD for something like $55. Adjusting for inflation, the prices are pretty similar. ($50 in 2011 = $56.80 in 2019.)

no one worth their salt is arguing any more
the battle has beyond all doubt already been won

Attached: guixsd.png (462x287, 13K)

Make source compiling and USE flags happen and I am in.

I found this distro and it looks very interesting. a source based distro other than gentoo that's actually active. might install it soon
venomlinux.org/

>samefagging this hard
you're not trolling anyone, what's your point on doing all this stupid baits?
systemd literally can't block a package manager from running

>active
never heard of it, gentoo has around 200 developers that is hard to beat
>mom look I made two posts and nobody can tell I'm the same person xD

The only troll here is you, trying to stir crap arguments and shit. If you like systemd this thread is not for you. Fuck off to someplace else.

Why even try this hard? What are you doing here shilling systemd?

When the shills invade is time to abandon the thread.

it's been source based from day one
and i think the insistence on use flags is actually some sort of gentoo stockholm syndrome
what guix gives you is much more powerful and friendly
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/#orga55345a
don't let a good way you happen to have gotten used to prevent you from seeing possible benefits and improvements through other novel approaches

I know and it's a pretty new distro. my point is that there's very few source based distros that are active anymore and seeing a new one out of nowhere is nice

(it's fucking obvious you're the same guy replying twice to the same post, you post one minute of a distance each of your posts. newfag)
And I'm not shilling for systemd, I'm using Gentoo with openrc. And I like it more than systemd.

>if we just fork nix and call it something else with GNU shit only it is a new distro!
stop this, you're on every thread.
you're just mad the most successful source based distribution doesn't have GNU on its name

But the flags solve the optimization problem Mr. mad trips. You use them because you want an specific set of tools with an specific set of features enabled at compiling time.

Does GuixSD do that? I didn't hear about it.

Ignore the anti-GNU troll/systemd shill please, I want to know alternatives too.

>they have 0 control on projects they can't control
Just like Microsoft has 0 control on projects they couldn't control.
Oh.. wait a second..

Attached: enactus-o6u-16-leadership-program-strategic-thinking-1-9-638.jpg (638x479, 37K)

>has refuted "arguments"
Ridiculous.
Which arguments were refuted?
Also, suckless and posix cannot be refuted because they are sane design decisions.

>hurr durr nsa
There's one

Slackware would be respected more if it wasnt because the default package manager is not known much. The installation is actually nice and comes with a lot of packages in its CD.

nice set of default packagers because I hate having to wait for the compilers. It's stupid there's no live distros with them by default. Given Linux distros are mostly used by developers

>2019.5
>still distribute software through disk images

Slackware is the best one.

Come home, white man...

Attached: bluepiSW.jpg (232x227, 44K)

gentoo is the best one

Void is comfy desu

Isn't that just inetd?

Try Devuan, their main goal is to provide a patch overlay on Debian to allow multiple alternate init systems.

>slackware
lol the bsds are more up to date

>suckless
>sane
lmao, if you're an actual programmer you'd know that judging a program by its loc is retarded, want to know why GNU's packages perform better than their minimal BSD counterpart? Because they have more loc