GPA + Career

How much does GPA matter to get a high paying job in tech?

I had a big unavoidable surgery and family hardships, and my GPA had a downfall due to not dropping courses within the Week 2 deadline. Other messed up things happened and my GPA is very subpar.

I've completed undergraduate since.

I am afraid of being immediately disqualified from both private and big public tech companies. How limited is my fate?

Please let me know if there is any point in dreaming. Thank you.

And no, I'm not in Tech because of the money. I just have high ambitions as my peers have all graduated medical and law schools, and I have disabled family to feed. Thanks.

Attached: chance .jpg (1080x1080, 139K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cio.com/article/3309059/more-tech-companies-drop-college-degree-requirement.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

GPA doesn't matter unless you want grad school, just do some internships
t. Underachiever supreme with a job

I know some people say there is no minimum GPA requirement, but surely tech giants do? Or other companies at least?

I will study until blood comes from my fingers and be of good value to contribute. I would work hard to deserve any position I apply for.

I just feel I won't make it past the door, or my application will be trashed.

Thank you for giving me hope.

C's get degrees. Nobody really cares about your GPA except you and the school.

Matters somewhat for first job, depends on the company and what they're looking. Doesn't matter at all afterwards unless the company is stuck up as hell.

Not at all.

If you don't apply, you have a 100% chance of not getting the job.

As long as your are above 3.2+ you will be fine. 3.5+ if you want to be at top tier

i'm under 3.0. should i kill myself now or later?

you guys are angels. thank you. i wish it was true but i know i'm wrong.

What about for software engineer?

i really appreciate you, thank you. you are right.

let me know if i should off myself, thanks.

can you explain more in depth?

Your GPA determines your internship from any competent professor which has a greater impact on your career then your GPA

stop being a raging idiot and listen to the fucking board. You're obviously not going to work at google but there are plenty of companies who need programmers that arent geniuses and will gladly hire you

Companies genuinely don’t give a shit about your GPA unless it’s an internship where the GPA would be a prerequisite anyway just to apply. They care more about what industry experience you have

This applies to nearly every industry, not just technology. There’s a trend of college students being too hung up on their GPA when really the networking and internships are really the deciding factor in longterm success

your GPA becomes irrelevant once you graduate

it doesnt
just met a retard with low GPA who already has a senior position via his parents connections

possibly, i suppose.

I dropped out at the end of my third year and within a year found a job where I work from home for $40/hr.

really what u do?

Just practice leet code and knock out some impressive projects that you can explain the ins and outs from. You just need to get an interview and nail it.

Well it all depends doesn't it user? My company only cares about GPA and idea generation. We look for very specific profiles: USAMO, IMO, Putnam, top Math/Physics/CS programs w/ high GPA.

Attached: Terence+Tao++National+Geographic_867ba3a6-f137-4296-8079-d157439d840c-prv.jpg (1200x857, 103K)

I graduated below 3.0 and got a cushy job at a big tech company, for the most part places don't even about GPA, I never had it on my resume. Just make sure you're actually competent.

I'm guessing you're a quant. I don't get why they're that snobby when there's other (successful) competitors that just weed out people who aren't talented in the interview.

After two years of experience no one gives a shit. However you could maybe mention it in your job interview.
After two years of experience, you can just take it off of your resume.

>why they're that snobby
Our bosses came from academia (and it's the same for other successful quant firms - RenTech etc) and they want to maintain that kind of environment. Laid back but exceptionally intelligent people.

>I'm guessing you're a quant.
No lol to be a research scientist at this place you need to be on tenure track and/or a genius. I'm a software developer and I help with the infrastructure the researchers use to create their algos.

I have a feeling it's because they all spent their entire 20s putting their nose to the grindstone in grad school. You can become a trader with just a masters and talent to retire before you're 30.

So I'm in finance which isn't tech but it's commonly known to be a GPA hoe industry.
I haven't put it on a resume even though it was quite good. Mostly they are interested in relevant experience. GPA is something that really only matters if you've just graduated or have yet to graduate and have little other indication as to your work ethic.
You've completed your degree, you can say (magna, summa) cum laude but otherwise I wouldn't bother. They'll ask if they really care. They don't btw

That's literally the founders of this place lol. They still own majority stake in the company so they can sit on their asses all day long and reap the profits at year-end.

You don't need a master's.

It don't mean shit. Nobody gives a shit what your GPA was or where you even went to school. The only thing that means anything is that paper degree you blew a shit load of money to get.

But then once you land the first job even that is really not needed anymore. That fancy degree winds up in a box never seen again till you move or die.

The school you go to don't mean shit. Long as they give you a degree w/transcript then H.R types don't care. Hell look at all the online colleges now. Honestly your fucking better off just going and getting some certs. Cheaper than college but just as useful. Or getting a "Fake Degree" from some place online. Long as you can legit do the shit the job asks you'll be ok. Like I said H.R types don't give a shit where you went, long as you got the paper to back it up.

It is when the job market is overcrowded as shit. I don't think I've been in a single interview where the guy didn't ask me about my GPA (usually they just bring it up casually). And not listing it here is pretty much an auto-ding unless you have very impress work experience.

>I know some people say there is no minimum GPA requirement, but surely tech giants do? Or other companies at least?
The big boys like perfect students, though you can get by with a good resume.
Basically, excellent marks are a substitute for a certain amount of experience and get you into graduate recruitment programs right out of the door, actually six months to a year before you graduate usually.

Most other companies won't care quite as much, practical coding tests are way more important. They might break some ties in an hiring committee though and/or get you into a short list for interviews.

>Matters somewhat for first job, depends on the company and what they're looking. Doesn't matter at all afterwards unless the company is stuck up as hell.
this.
I had dodgy marks in some areas, the only person who ever looked at it was the recruitment agent and he decided he could sell me regardless so he pitched me to his client and they never saw my results.
After that, it was always my resume, experience and references that got me my next job.

>MUST HAVE 5-10 YEARS OF WORK EXPERIENCE WITH AN EXCELLENT ACADEMIC RECORD

Attached: 1558371193654.jpg (250x250, 3K)

>all these idiots with no idea what they are talking about
If you didn't go to Stanford or MIT you better hope that your GPA is at least 3.8 or you're be working for some literally who startup for 6 years before breaking 100k.

if you know your shit you'll be alright. I graduated with a 2.7something GPA from a big but not super well know state school. My major was EE, but I hated that shit and started learning how to program at the start of my junior year. I was able to secure a FAANG/Big4/whatever internship for the next summer and from that got a full-time offer. Been working at the company for almost 4 years and have had really healthy career growth.

I did spend most of my free time learning how to program, but it was worth it IMO. A couple of things you should focus on:
1) practice leetcode/ctci. as dumb as it is, its how tech recruiting works. game the system and memory the dumb mind puzzles. this is something I didnt personally do and it fucked me over in a couple of interviews.
2) make sure you actually understand the basics of CS. these will also be part of the dumb tech interviews and will be somewhat useful throughout your career (you'd be surprised how many high-paid SDEs fuck these up)
3) spend some time building software (make sure to think about system architecture) and learning the tooling (git + some build system). a ton of CS grads will never have built a real piece of software and it will show once they are actually doing an internship. you'll have a huge head start if you dont need hand holding with this kind of stuff (especially the tooling)

Anyone else hate people who went to """""""top"""""" schools?

protip: no one knows what they're talking about unless they're a believable person with 3 successes in the given area but you can't tell that from here

I fucking hate those brainteaser questions.
>Design an algorithm that simulates a dice with coin flips

This. Once your foot is in the door it’s much easier to get momentum going.

what the fuck is the point of that room

Attached: 1546489008139.png (678x630, 390K)

modern art exhibition

this exactly
all these people with jobs saying
>g-g-gpa dont matter
of course it doesn't fucking matter if you have a job
if don't however expect to be but fucked hard
I'm currently on my 8 month trying to find a job while having a shit gpa
expect employers to treat you like outright scum, and then when they see your gpa you will be treated like a bum begging on the street
in Australia, the only jobs going for graduates are so called graduate programs, and ive been outright declined for all of them once I've disclosed my GPA
otherwise you have to keep applying and hope to get lucky with some random cunt
and the worst part is all the people i know got in through connections

Any thoughts on this article?. I think skills should matter more than a degree.
cio.com/article/3309059/more-tech-companies-drop-college-degree-requirement.html

good luck bring unhireable at 90% of companies thanks to HR thots

Where did find remote jobs?

same place you find normal jobs dumbfuck, you just ask to transition to remote

gpa doesnt matter
all that matters is that you didnt go to a no name school
if you are an ivy league flunky you are still astronomically more employable than a state school grad

Take your adhd medicine and relax. The user I replied to implied that he transitioned right from college dropout to remote employee.

Welcome to the world sheep. We capitalism will treat you great and make sure you have a happy and great life.
>Capitalism

Attached: 1214956340471.jpg (490x560, 39K)

Depends on the company. Some won't even look at your resume unless you have 3.5